[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Fallout 4 companions have to be invincible? With Fallout3/NV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: Preston_Garvey.jpg (670 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Preston_Garvey.jpg
670 KB, 1920x1080
Why did Fallout 4 companions have to be invincible? With Fallout3/NV it gave me a whole new feel and urgency of keeping my companion alive because I wouldn't load a save if a companion died. If playing like a reckless faggot i felt bad knowing there would be no coming back.Also Survival difficulty is a joke, bring back hardcore and very hard.
>>
Because most players would just reload the save if they died. Of all the problems with Fallout 4 that one never bothered me
>>
>>340248879
>Because most players would just reload the save if they died
pussies, it just defeats the whole purpose of a "hardcore mode"
>>
>>340248937
you tell em bro
>>
I just did a 2nd run of 4 and chose institute. My favorite companions made me feel like shit for choosing them :(

If synth lives matter why would you genocide potential ones by destroying where they are made.
>>
>>340248937
*rolls eyes audibly*
>>
File: 600px-Fallout3-G3.jpg (60 KB, 600x311) Image search: [Google]
600px-Fallout3-G3.jpg
60 KB, 600x311
This bothered me the most about F4, why make guns appear out of midair instead of having on back like before
>>
>Companion is a radiant quest giver
Yeah no how about making less companions overall but making the ones you can recruit have interesting questlines, more dialogue depending on your actions/the environment, and just be more memorable in general.
Whenever a companion said or did anything in response to an unrelated quest it felt so synthetic, they would comment on what was said and that's it, they wouldn't hold conversations with other npcs or do stuff on their own.
>>
>>340249221
>Skyrim
Files ingame show they were attempting to have a system where all favorited weapons appeared on your body

>Fallout 4
Let's just have them pull it out their ass because tying it to their body and making sure they don't clip with outfits is too hard lol
>>
bethesda should fire all their scripters

I think they fuck over other departments from being more ambitious
>>
>>340248785
>Why did Fallout 4 companions have to be invincible?

Because the ai is so incredibly stupid they aren't capable of staying out of trouble for a second.
>>
File: 1445015672574.jpg (41 KB, 330x548) Image search: [Google]
1445015672574.jpg
41 KB, 330x548
>Also Survival difficulty is a joke

Nigga, if there's one thing Bethesda did right, it was survival mode. It shits all over NV and actually feels rewarding when you find a safe place to rest.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (74 KB, 1360x572) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
74 KB, 1360x572
>>340249601
>if there's one thing Bethesda did right, it was survival mode.
>>
>>340249601
Not being able to save manually in a BETHESDA game is stupid considering how unstable their games can be.
>>
>>340249716
This
I'm fine with those changes but potentially losing progress due to bugs, freezes or crashes is bullshit
>>
>>340249529
they should all fire themselves and never make a video game again
>>
There were many problems with FO4.

Just hope Obsidian gets another shot at a game, even though they lost some key writers.
>>
Will there be another rendition like New vegas to F3?
>>
NV companions were invincible. The cancer started there.
>>
File: deathclaw_boxer37aa1z.jpg (134 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
deathclaw_boxer37aa1z.jpg
134 KB, 900x675
>>340250087
>NV companions were invincible.
spotted the casual that never tried hardcore
>>
>>340249161
you should get those checked out
>>
>>340248785
>Survival difficulty is a joke, bring back hardcore and very hard.

Uh Survival is way more punishing than NV hardcore
>>
>>340249716
use a mod
>>
>>340250087
Only when you weren't in hardcore mode and also probably because they each had pretty extensive quests that took a lot of triggers to activate.
>>
>>340249647
Are you implying I'm wrong?

>>340249716
Which makes it all the more rewarding when you do get to save. Also, it's your fault for not resting as often as possible.
>>
>still playing fallout 4
for what purpose

just accept your buyer's remorse and move on
>>
It's because they added Super Mutant Suiciders Keeping Dogmeat alive would be impossible.
>>
>>340251373
those aren't anymore dangerous than super mutant behemoth's or deathclaws
>>
>>340248785
Bethesda designs their games for 8 year olds to play
>>
I never used companions up intill fallout 4. I didn't like them dieing and if they did i'd have to carry all the crap they where carrying for me.
>>
FO3 fixed dogmeat in one of the add ons with the Puppies! perk. If dogemeat died, his replacement was at Vault 101 and was even stronger.
>>
>>340251253
>the game crashes are a plus
>it's your fault that Bethesda cannot make a stable game
>>
>>340251493
Dogmeat runs directly at them and killing them causes them to explode. You can usually keep your distance and kill it before it's too close but Dogmeat gets close as soon as he can.
>>
>>340251616
Its shouldn't have been a perk or addon it should have been the standard
>>
>>340251253
>Which makes it all the more rewarding when you do get to save. Also, it's your fault for not resting as often as possible.

You're high as fuck
>>
>>340251253
Are you stoned or something ? Anons talked about ctd, bugs, glitches which can fucking-happen-randonly due how unstable and weird bethesda game is
>>
>>340251659
It's certainly not as bad as NV was on release. Don't even try and fucking act like that game wasn't crashing literally every 5 minutes.
>>
>>340252132
The fact that NV was a buggy piece of shit doesn't negate the fact that FO4 is also a buggy piece of shit and crashes out of nowhere are still bound to happen.
>>
>>340252460
Plus NV let you save anywhere
>>
>>340248785
Normys are fuckt up retards thats why.

Jersy shore cast is 90% of normys. They should never be allowed to come close to games.
>>
>>340252460
The point I'm making is that you can't blame Fallout 4 for crashing then turn around and praise New Vegas when it was much, much worse on release.

>>340252540
>Plus NV let you save anywhere

Which made Hardcore mode a joke. Where's the reward in exploring when you can just immediately reload a save if you die? What's the point of having a sleep meter if you can always keep it down with stuff like coffee and atomic cocktails? In Fallout 4, you can stave off sleep for a while, but eventually you HAVE to find a bed and sleep in it. It feels good when you finally set up a base somewhere or find a sleeping bag because it means having a safe spot to sleep, save, etc.
>>
>>340253296
>Where's the reward in exploring when you can just immediately reload a save if you die?
what, like you don't do that in Fo4? And you can stave off sleep pretty easily in Fo4 too dude. And don't act like you fucking made coffee. No one made coffee
>>
>>340253514
Saves are more spread out, meaning you have to play more tactically. You can't just rush into things because that could mean losing an hour's worth of progress. You actually have to stop and think: Should I go all the way back, sleep, and play it safe? Or am I going to risk losing all my progress but potentially find a cache of supplies?

New Vegas doesn't have that. You can just reload a save if you die so there's no risk or reward. Hardcore mode adds nothing but a few meters you have to micromanage and maybe 1-2 changes to the game. Fallout 4's survival mode is a full overhaul and makes the game significantly more difficult and, in the end, rewarding.

>And you can stave off sleep pretty easily in Fo4 too dude.
Not really. You can drink a cola once in a while, yeah, but once that wears off you're back to being tired. It's like real life in that, no matter how much caffeine you take, sooner or later you'll HAVE to sleep, or face exhaustion or even death. In New Vegas, you could be exhausted, drink 20 nuka colas, then suddenly your sleep meter is at 0 again. That doesn't make as much sense as having a sudden caffeine rush, then crashing soon after.
>>
File: 1459235347271.jpg (50 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1459235347271.jpg
50 KB, 500x492
>>340248879
Why give the player health?

They'll just reload their save when they die
>>
>>340248785
>k.Also Survival difficulty is a joke, bring back hardcore and very hard

NV fans so desperate they're making up lies now
>>
Was anyone's expectations low enough that they weren't disappointed with the result?
>>
>>340248785

lol we at Bethesda didn't want players to worry about anything. just shoot things mindlessly you dumb consumer
>>
>>340248785
I'm glad they were. I never used companions in Skyrim because of how easily they went down.
>>
>>340252132
>NV QC and bug-testing was outsourced to Bethesda.
>>
yes, because i'm going to keep my companion alive who's disposition to enemies i can't even control.
they will rambo into anything of any strength, the AI has no fucking brain in this game, it's pathetic.
>>
Of what I remember in NV, most of my companions died because of the stupid pathfinding AI and enemy chasing through locked doors and blocked corridors.
>>
>>340249601

Not being able to save in a Bethesda game is a nightmare considering how buggy they tend to be. I'm fine with no fast travel and post- apocalyptic aids, but the whole saves during sleep thing was retarded. It's not like there were beds literally everywhere anyway.

This game sucks.
>>
>>340248937

If companions are going to die I will just not use them, is that simple.

With lone wanderer giving 100+ item carry and 30% dmg reduction its almost pointless to use companions on survival.
>>
>>340251253
>it's your fault

oh fuck off idiot

expecting a game to work properly isn't a reward
>>
>>340258490
>It's not like there were beds literally everywhere anyway.

weren't*
>>
>>340258509
i got companion infinite ammo and i just gave Piper the alien blaster, fuck it. she might be squishy, but she's gonna hurt some dudes.

lone wanderer as a perk is stupid because Beth cut out having Dogmeat as a stand alone companion alongside another companion and they also cut out backpacks.
i'd rather just craft armor and backpacks than take that perk.
>>
>>340252132

It's just as bad as 4.

I'm not even kidding. I was locked to the desktop so many times I. 4.

The one advantage NV has it that's it's at least a good game.
>>
>>340254078

>padding = challenge

lmao
>>
>>340248785
>Also Survival difficulty is a joke, bring back hardcore and very hard

They're both a joke to be honest.

Things like hunger thirst sleep and diseases are just tedious and offer no actual challenge at all.

I like the idea of no fast travel and saving during sleeps as well as different beds behaving differently though.

I hope someone mods different bed behaviours into NV because 4 is shit.
>>
>>340254078

Ah please, there is settlement everwhere, just put a bed on it and you can save anytime, you can even save inside buildings full of raiders just by sleeping on some rag on the ground.

>sleep for 24 hours in sanctuary
>no diseases, no fatigue stats
>get a "you are tired from the lack of sleep" as soon I reach concord

Fuck this.
>>
>>340252132
>It's certainly not as bad as NV was on release

Yes it fucking is. If anything it's worse. I ran into bugs in NV, but I straight up crash a fuckload more in 4.
>>
>>340259209

If that happens I hope they fix it. The sleeping in 4 is fucking broken as hell.

Much like >>340259658 said.
>>
>>340249601

If I want to play STALKER I'll play STALKER, not janky ass Fallout 4. I went into this game wanting something that just barely qualified as an RPG, not a pile of shit that took 6 months to even get this difficulty mode that supposedly saves it..
>>
companions are essential in nv unless you play hardcore, only 3 had non essential companions
>>
>>340248785
Wait. So you can't kill em no matter how hard you try?

>Dicking around in early play through since I plan resetting for a stream
>try to steal prestons Minutemen suit
>he says, sorry this one is mine.
>he proceeds to shoot at me
>I retaliate and dog meat helps me.
>I eventually die

I thought Preston was my nigga. Thought he'd share
>>
>>340248785
Because their AI is atrocious and they routinely fall from death-inducing heights, in addition to doing other incredibly stupid and deadly things, and making them unkillable was easier than making better pathing AI.
>>
>>340249221
>>340249493
I think it's actually largely a side effect of how power armor works in this game.

In older fallouts, you just equipped power armor like any other armor from your inventory making it spontaneously appear on your body.

In FO4, you climb into it from the back with the back hatch then closing on you.

Now imagine if your're character has a gun equipped, maybe a big one like the gauss rifle.

It clips through the back of the armor, then will suddenly jump and appear on your power armor's back.

They already seem to have issues with things like the backpack on the hazmat suit and with various hats.
>>
>>340248785
>Why did Fallout 4 companions have to be invincible?

Because then they don't have to make good smart AI.
>>
Because modern FO games are for chads who wanna pretend to be nerds by playing an "RPG".
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.