[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>open world When will this meme die?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14
File: 1461696978474.png (318 KB, 496x559) Image search: [Google]
1461696978474.png
318 KB, 496x559
>open world

When will this meme die?
>>
Is there something wrong with open world?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe
>>
As soon as you kill yourself.
>>
>>340248387
As soon as you stop being a faggot.
>>
>>340248452

It's becoming the new FPS, ruining franchises that shouldn't be openworld
>>
>>340248452
Yes because it ultimately ends up being copy pasted shit. Show me an example of open world done right.
>>
>>340249698
>muh metal gear

MGSV was fine, stop being a whiny bitch.
>>
>>340248387
fuck the pic, fuck the idea of open world as meme, and fuck you.
>>
>>340249883
Open world has become kind of a meme though. Many games try to push it as a selling point.
>>
>>340248387

When referring to trends, fads and everything that happens more than once as a meme dies.
>>
>>340249819
This. I've been a big fan of MGS for a long time and MGS2 is my favorite game of all time. Is MGSV different? Yeah, pretty much everything I love about the first four was changed and or not present but V is still a great game and is everything I came to expect out of an MGS. It simply just goes a different route and there's really no problem with that. V had amazing gameplay, it's own great moments, and etc.
>>
File: not an argument.jpg (44 KB, 225x253) Image search: [Google]
not an argument.jpg
44 KB, 225x253
>>340249883
>>
>>340249819
i like plenty of open world games, but mgsv shouldn't have been open world. it was a big empty desert with hardly anything to do.
>>
>>340249758

Dark Souls?
>>
>>340250154
It was a great game, just a bad end to the series.
>>
>>340249758
gta and the witcher come to mind.
>>
>zombies
When will THIS meme die?
>>
>>340248387
When you stop touching yourself at night
>>
>>340250354
>zombie meme

it's already dead

xD
>>
>>340248387
Hopefully soon, but if CoD is any indicator we have another 10 years of it.
>>
>>340250154
>MGSV
>good
Looks like you fell for the open world meme. I don't know how you can consider it good with so many copy pasted areas and the entire second half of the game being repeated missions. Like I'm a pretty big MGS fanboy but the game being padded out in that manner is excusable.
>>
>>340250426
Inexcusable I should say
>>
>>340248387
nothing wrong with open world.
it's just shitty devs keeps shoehorning it in where it has no place.
>>
File: NMjfSKY.jpg (358 KB, 2456x3400) Image search: [Google]
NMjfSKY.jpg
358 KB, 2456x3400
>>340250239
>Big empty desert
>Not a collection of winding cliff-laden hallways
M8, I feel like the most you've ever done with MGSV was watch the E3 demos..

Or maybe you simply didn't know what to do with a good game and blame that on the fact that it was "open world."
>>
>linear snorefests
When will this meme die?
>>
>>340250582
the fact that it's open world is one of the few things i dislike about it
>>
>open world
>actually gives you things to do in the open world
theme park crap
>>
>>340249819

Unfinished games aren't good

The gameplay and environments are also shit.
>>
File: 1wucYEh.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1wucYEh.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>340250638
It's organs started failing once hardware could support larger projects, thank God.
>>
>voiced protagonists
>protagonists with their own personalities
When will this meme end?
>>
File: 1464387025371.jpg (66 KB, 600x563) Image search: [Google]
1464387025371.jpg
66 KB, 600x563
>when will this meme die?

when will this meme die?
>>
>>340250335
TW3 had a terrible open world m8. 90% of it is useless shit you'll end up selling and the rest is the equipment schematics.
>>
when will i die?
>>
>>340250778
yeah, there were no cool side quests or villages to explore
>>
>>340250154

I'm a Meatl Gear nut. Played and enjoyed the MSX titles, beat Portable Ops and Peace Walker. I bought a $500 Metal Gear REX for fucks sake.

MGSV was fucking horrid.
>>
File: instaburn.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
instaburn.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>340250652
You didn't address any of my points, and again, I believe all you've ever known about MGSV comes from the preliminary play demos and /v/'s love of shitting on whatever's new/enjoyable.

Enjoy being a contrarian, I'm enjoying playing video games.
>>
>>340248387
the moment that faggots like you stop calling anything remotely popular a meme.
>>
>>340250335
Which GTA? Because it's shit now. I remember seeing the leaked map for GTAV and feeling a piece of my heart break off and die.
>>
>>340250274
Dark Souls is not open world, it is 3D Metroidvania
>>
>>340250330
MGS4 was the end though not V. When we look at V as just a game and not the end of the series it's far better.

>>340250426

I wouldn't even consider it a typical open world. In normal open worlds there is a big ass seemingly endless world you're put in where there are many stops and towns and you never leave that place. MGSV you're able to leave it and drop to mission areas. The reason behind open world was to have complete control in the way you go about your objectives, to drop in where you want, go in how you want, exit how you want, etc. It's like saying destiny is open world when it really isn't. Compare these games to borderlands, elder scrolls, or fallout. Those are your normal open worlds and really you're just memeing and there's nothing inherently wrong with open world but whatever.

The second half wasn't all repeated missions, there are like 5 or 6 hardened missions? None of which you have to do to finish the game. You can say they're there to pad the game out all you want but I got 120 hours out of it and I didn't touch those missions.
>>
>>340250894
ive played it for 20 hours. maybe the world gets good after that.
>>
Open-world games, when executed well, can be excellent. When executed poorly, they end up as filler-packed, fluff-fueled, mediocre, repetitive, monotonous, disappointing experiences. See MGSV and Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
>>
>>340250847
There were what 6-7 quest boards per map? You could easily cut out 80% of the world for them as well. Witcher 3 was a pretty good game but open world was a mistake. Imagine if they put the budget towards more confined areas like in W2 it would have been better off.
>>
File: dsp.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dsp.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>340250973
I didn't give you some bullshit milestone of "when it gets good."

If you can't have fun with a good game, that's not on the game.
>>
>>340250894
ok, so empty cliff-laden hallways? wandering through the mountains is boring as fuck when there's only sand and occasionally an animal.
>>
>>340249758
Dragon Quest 1
>>
>>340250894

MGSV was a great game, and fun, but despite the openness of the world it managed to be highly repetitive. The side ops were all samey and there was fuckall to do besides replaying old missions and capturing little outposts here and there over and over again. In short bursts it was fantastic, but you can't deny that it was padded out to fuck.
>>
>>340251136
Pretty much this. MGS has always had gameplay in which you kind of make your own fun and experience and the way you play makes it far more interesting/enjoyable. It is no different with V.
>>
>>340250965
Literally every side op is a copy pasted mission. And a lot of the second half of the game was "repeat the same missions until something happens." Please stop defending MGSV it doesn't deserve it.
>>
>>340251136
do you work for konami? why the fuck do you care that i dont like the world design? whether or not a game is good is inherently subjective. im sorry i didnt see the world design for all its brilliance as you did.
>>
Open worlds rarely work because rarely any effort is put into the world. NPCs and enemies spawn randomly- your actions don't have consequences, there's no internal logic. There's never a working trade or economic system- you can't sell your cargo of iron ore for a high price by stopping the transport carts which normally carry a supply to a city.

Open world games don't work because they're more of an open illusion. Once you see past the illusion you may as well just be playing a linear game, because the whole point of an open world is doing what you want, when you want, how you want to- in this specific world. It's all about the immersion, and that's broken immediately when the world doesn't make fucking sense.
>>
>>340251192
The point isn't to wander the world, that's just a layout for missions basically. There's a reason you can drop 100ft away from the objectives. Sure you can run across the entire map if you want but I didn't do that once.
>>
>>340250582
I liked MGSV, but I do think the game would have been better if it was a large number of areas built in the style of Ground Zeroes' base where you get brought between a large number of places with the design focusing on the area around it instead of just 2 giant maps with a couple bases that are well designed and a fuck load of encampments and patrols that don't really serve much to the game.
>>
File: Oef1PNg.jpg (194 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Oef1PNg.jpg
194 KB, 1440x900
>>340251192
>Not trying to sneak through each and every checkpoint the best you can, collecting the best soldiers and killing the rest, in increasingly difficult and creative ways.

If all you were able to do was wander through the mountains and see sand and an animal, maybe you needed a guide, m8?

>>340251305
You aren't wrong, and I found the same problems when I got over the initial high of playing it. I'm taking issue with these guys just complaining that "open world = shit gameplay" somehow.
>>
>>340251136
i never even said i disliked the game. the controls are tight and satisfying, but i think the world design and story are garbage.
>>
>>340251386
I was talking about main missions. Yes, the side ops definitely are a lot of the same objectives but I don't think there's much wrong with that. The objectives are really only a means to play the game, I didn't give a shit about what I was doing I was just having a fun time doing it.

Also there's nothing wrong with the objectives in the side ops either. Pretty standard stuff considering the setting and nature of things.
>>
>>340248387
I like Hannibal Buress
>>
>>340251528
>I'm taking issue with these guys just complaining that "open world = shit gameplay" somehow.

i never even said that. i said that the fact that it was open world was one of the few things i disliked about the game.
>>
>>340251714
He's okay
>>
>>340250226
not everything on the internet is a debate
some people say fuck you because fuck you
>>
>>340249758
New Vegas was pretty solid I thought.
>>
>>340250354

Never. Humans always have and always will love their zombie stories. Did you ever read the Epic of Gilgamesh? It's the earliest known work of human writing, and even that mentions a zombie apocalypse:

>Father give me the Bull of Heaven,
>So he can kill Gilgamesh in his dwelling.
>If you do not give me the Bull of Heaven,
>I will knock down the Gates of the Netherworld,
>I will smash the doorposts, and leave the doors flat down,
>And will let the dead go up to eat the living!
>And the dead will outnumber the living!
>>
File: 1455998296836.jpg (626 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1455998296836.jpg
626 KB, 1024x768
>>340251349
>Pretty much this. MGS has always had gameplay in which you kind of make your own fun and experience and the way you play makes it far more interesting/enjoyable. It is no different with V.
I won't lie and say V was as great as any of the previous installments, but I can't stand weak-ass arguments of "any sort of open world = shit game, shit taste." MGS has always been about what you can do in it, and V offers a lot of options.

>>340251403
Pshh I wish I worked for Konami, but I'm afraid you're really getting buttblasted about all this.

I didn't claim games aren't inherently subjective, I'm telling you that your individual intolerance of open world mechanics doesn't make a good game suddenly bad. That's like getting into comics and hating how much the characters internally monologue. Of course there are some that go overboard and have no substance, but V simply doesn't rely on open world like, say, GTA V.

>im sorry i didnt see the world design for all its brilliance as you did.

Again, I'm not claiming it's any sort of brilliance. I'm claiming you are just a wet butt about it all.

>>340251523
I wouldn't have minded the fuckload of camps and checkpoints if there was a third party doing battle with them that you could take advantage of. You could tell that for all that MGSV offered, they wanted to do more, and just.. didn't.

Why include horses so prominently if you aren't going to include the horse-backed Northern Alliance or any other anti-Soviet group in A'stan?
>>
>>340250354
Thought it was xanthous from the thumbnail
>>
Bird up.
>>
>>340251667
>I was talking about main missions
A lot of the main missions in the second chapter are the same thing over again
>Yes, the side ops definitely are a lot of the same objectives but I don't think there's much wrong with that
Frankly it is very lazy and like I said above it is more of a means to pad the game out
>Also there's nothing wrong with the objectives in the side ops either. Pretty standard stuff considering the setting and nature of things.
I disagree. Give the player a reason to play the side stuff be either it lore or the mission styles being different. Don't just make it the same exact stuff that's just really lazy.
>The objectives are really only a means to play the game, I didn't give a shit about what I was doing I was just having a fun time doing it.
Really this is what it comes down to. It's definitely a subjective thing you had your fun with it but I personally think it could have been something far more but ultimately I suppose I'm happy people managed to have a good time with the last of the series.
>>
File: 1419751446599.jpg (266 KB, 520x687) Image search: [Google]
1419751446599.jpg
266 KB, 520x687
>>340251534
Then say that. Don't just hide behind the bullshit wannabe-critic collection of buzzwords like: "x shouldn't have been open world," "hardly anything to do," or "maybe x gets good after x amount of hours."

That's low-effort, and I think you could make a better argument for what you liked and didn't like.

>>340251781
>hardly anything to do
If it being open world somehow stopped you from doing what you wanted, then I'd believe you about this.
>>
File: 1440522936324.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1440522936324.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>collect these six hundred buttplugs scattered randomly around the map for your achievement
>quests that involve following a slow npc for ten minutes while they blabber on and on
>exhaust all passerby dialogue within two hours, it just grates for the rest of the game
>capture the towers to unlock the surrounding area
>cool area that either has nothing in it except when you're supposed to go there for a big story mission, or is just completely blocked off until said story mission

i am so fucking tired of open-world anything. literally only allows people to dick around pointlessly, and serves no purpose besides.
>>
>>340251528
>I'm taking issue with these guys just complaining that "open world = shit gameplay" somehow.
I don't think that's what anyone really intended. Open-world games, when executed well, can be excellent. When executed poorly, they end up as filler-packed, fluff-fueled, mediocre, repetitive, monotonous, disappointing experiences.
>>
>>340249758
Gothic 1 and 2, small world but with detailed places, great character progression and no repetitive quests.
>>
>>340248387
Never, farcry4/primal/wildlands/farcry5 will all use the exact same shitty map with very tiny changes. Enjoy the ubi-shit factory churning out things you'll buy.
>>
>>340252378
>cool area that either has nothing in it except when you're supposed to go there for a big story mission, or is just completely blocked off until said story mission.

Fucking Just Cause 2 suffered from this so hard.
>>
>>340252345
>says low-effort
>while defending MGSV
Apex kek
>>
>>340249758
Gothic 1 and 2
Might and Magic games
>>
>>340252249
>A lot of the main missions in the second chapter are the same thing over again

They're optional hardened missions that don't need to be completed to continue the plot.

>I disagree. Give the player a reason to play the side stuff be either it lore or the mission styles being different. Don't just make it the same exact stuff that's just really lazy. Frankly it is very lazy and like I said above it is more of a means to pad the game out

I think you're really overlooking the entire point of V first of all. The premise of the game is that you're rebuilding mother base, recruiting an army again, and trying to find the revenge trail. Every single side ops you do helps this goal, that's how it relates to the plot. Also there are the side ops where you do actual plot integral things but very few so I won't even dance around that argument.
>>
File: 1423625441192.jpg (4 MB, 5100x3300) Image search: [Google]
1423625441192.jpg
4 MB, 5100x3300
>>340252419
There's valid criticism about poor execution leading to filler, and then there's complaints that there is "hardly anything to do" in MGSV's open world.

I don't discredit your points, I agree with them, I disagree with the other guy who can't seem to use a shift key or a well-founded/reasonable point.
>>
>>340252726
>quotes someone
>describes what they're doing
Stale meme
>>
>>340252879
>won't even deny it
lel
>>
>>340253080
Deny what?

The guy is making low-effort posts - True.

I'm defending MGSV - True.

You used a stale meme - True.

Will you actually come up with good fodder this with this next reply? - TBD.
>>
>>340253278
what are you defending about mgs 5? it was half-assed, and would've benefited from the traditional closed-off design. most of each map was empty; there were pointless checkpoints in-between.

can you come up with a reason that the game wouldn't have benefited from each mission just taking place in a closed-off stage, a la peace walker?
>>
>>340253643
>can you come up with a reason that the game wouldn't have benefited from each mission just taking place in a closed-off stage, a la peace walker?

That's how it was though. You were never forced to roam the sandbox from place to place. You just drop into a mission zone.
>>
>>340250354
SLEEP TIGHT LAMPY
>>
>>340249819
>MGSV was fine

Epic lad
>>
It's easy to give players busy work so companies use it to artificially lengthen their games.
>>
>>340254978
Exactly this. Open-world games are often involve dramatically less effort in level design, and offer easy ways to artificially inflate a game's length with repetitive sidequests. It's like if you compare Dishonored with MGSV, you can tell that the Dishonored devs poured a huge amount of effort into crafting each level, with multiple possible paths, smart enemy placement, secrets, etc. In MGSV, a lot of the levels are simply bland military bases. Open-world is fucking cancer and thank christ Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 are coming out to provide some much needed chemo.
>>
>>340251714
here we go with this fucking story again
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.