[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Capcom afraid to make more Mega Man games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: megaman PP.jpg (74 KB, 528x630) Image search: [Google]
megaman PP.jpg
74 KB, 528x630
Why is Capcom afraid to make more Mega Man games?
>>
Why don't people just move on? A franchise doesn't need to go on forever.
>>
>>340229038
they stopped selling.
>>
>>340229235
4 MILLION
>>
>>340229038
10 games, spinoffs that spawned spinoffs, even a shitty re imagining by the greedy creator.

What the FUCK more do you fags want? You're just asking for them to ruin the franchise for good by creating trash.
>>
>>340229038
The guy who owns the copyright takes full advantage of the "creator = god" culture of Japan and has to give his approval of literally every single detail.

Also, what the fuck are you talking about? Didn't they release, like, one every six months for three years ten years ago? Are you that much of an addict?
>>
because megaman's father/creator left the company
>>
>>340229410
Just like Pokémon. Fuck you aspie faggots. Stop ruining franchises.
>>
File: 434240.jpg (9 KB, 320x196) Image search: [Google]
434240.jpg
9 KB, 320x196
>Franchise with like 50 games between main series, spin offs, etc
>The series end on the ground for overuse of all the ideas possibles to make games
>WHY DONT THEY MAKE MORE?
>>
Too much work.
>>
Today I learned there are actually people in this world who do not want more Battle Network. It was a sad day.
>>
>>340230398
I'd take a reboot, not another sequel.
>>
>>340230627
I just want the gameplay back, there's nothing quite like it.
>>
>>340229417
>>340229410

why is it that it's okay for Mario to keep getting games but not Megaman?
>>
>>340230742

It isn't.

Also Mario still had less games in the same time frame, that's how whored out Mega Man was.
>>
Because they don't want to work with a real life Con Man.
>>
>>340230801
Who gives a fuck. If games are good a lot of them are better.
>>
>>340229410
a single, good 3D classic megaman game would be nice.

a good 3D megaman X game would be cool too.

yknow, that thing that actually killed the franchise when they repeatedly failed to get it right
>>
>>340229235
No, fuck off. The fact that Memey No 9 even got $4M two years after Capcom canned it proves there's still a high demand, hell we're still getting Mega Man ripoffs to this day.
>>
>>340229235
they stopped selling the ridiculous amounts capcom wanted them to sell, which is different.
>>
>>340231708

And once MN9 completely bombs after people realize how terrible it is will prove there isn't.
>>
>>340229174
Because it's such a long running franchise that has been around for almost as long as console gaming itself.

Imagine if Mario games just up and stopped one day. People would obviously be asking where is a new Mario.
>>
File: 1417908155145.png (432 KB, 795x792) Image search: [Google]
1417908155145.png
432 KB, 795x792
>>340230801
My point still stands on why people bitch about megaman getting more games, but don't complainn about Mario. Maybe folks are tired of the bitching from megaman fans but c'mon he's been dead for 5 going on six years and capcom ain't got shit too work with other than street fighter sinnce they let Inafune destroy every other IP with his influence, they might as well start rebuilding some and Mega is pretty much the easist to start with
>>
>>340232258

>but don't complainn about Mario

What? Do you just actively ignore Nintendo threads here?
>>
>>340232376
Context and Contrast, mother fucker, use it
>>
>>340231708
Mighty No. 9 got four million dollars because you can pay whatever you want. If you sold a Mega Man game for a dollar and had a marketing campaign as charged as MN9's was with sticking it to Capcom, I'm sure you could get four million sales. Developers make a fraction of the game's price for each sale. To actually earn four million dollars on a real Mega Man game, you'd need to sell a hell of a lot more than four million games.

Mega Man is not one of Capcom's big sellers. Capcom overestimates sales for ALL of its games, but Mega Man is still not that high among their other franchises. The series as a whole is on the list of top selling Capcom franchises by sheer quantity of games released. Only four Mega Man games out of like a fucking hundred have sold more than one million copies, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, and Battle Network 4. The first three came out over TWENTY years ago. Battle Network 4 is a mystery, I guess people bought it on the goodwill of BN2 and 3.

To be fair, Mega Man games probably cost less to produce than Capcom's other franchises, but when quality control is the concern, as it has been VERY often with Mega Man, there's not much you can do. A higher budget doesn't improve a Mega Man game, you need skilled designers. You always do, but with Mega Man's formula, it's harder to hide the issues, it is such a purely gameplay driven series. A higher budget to create a game that actually looks modern might help it sell, but Capcom has been riding the nostalgia angle with all of its Mega Man marketing for so long, that I don't think they're willing to chance making the series look new.
>>
>>340233184
Mega Man is still in Capcom's top 5
>>
Capcom haven't made a Mega Man Game themselves in quite some time.

Even the more recent releases aren't done in-house.
>>
>>340230398
I remember this mexican magazine called Club Nintendo that always was complaining about how every BN's sequel was more of the same.
>>
>>340229410
I don't know, why do they keep shoveling out more of that Street Fighter shit? What kind of lame fucks play that brainless button-mashing garbage?
>>
>>340233472
They were, with dips and peaks in quality, but the battle system was very good and very modular. It's easy to release a game in the same mold that still feels fresh to people who like the system because it's more action-based than menu-based despite still being very simple to control.

That said, I just can't get behind the people who cry and whine for more Battle Network. A Mega Man series has a pretty good, consistent quality all the way through, gets several games, and a proper ending, and fans feel like they're being insulted by not being delivered a Battle Network 7. Zero is in a similar situation and had even fewer games and I don't see people complaining that there's no Zero 5. At least complain about series that were cut short with cliffhangers.
>>
>>340233245
Because there are like 130 Mega Man games.
>>
>>340234261
Stop exaggerating, there aren't that many.
>>
>>340234261
Under that counting there's 108 Resident Evil games.
>>
>>340234974
Still fewer games. And Resident Evil as a series has not only sold more than Mega Man, it's sold twice as much and is Capcom's number one series. Resident Evil 5 and 6 are their best selling games overall.

>>340234910
There's a lot of throw-away garbage spinoffs, but that just speaks to how dilluted Mega Man is as a name. There's so much horseshit, and most of it isn't very good. There are even a lot of main, numbered Mega Man games that are just total trash, or at least don't stand up to their peers.

The issue with the Mega Man series isn't that Capcom stopped making games, it's that they started making shitty games and drove the whole series into the dirt. If Capcom announces a new Mega Man game, that will be nice, but it won't mean a fucking thing to me until it comes out and isn't garbage. And I'm done having them shove NES sprites down my throat like that means anything anymore.
>>
>>340235827
>Still fewer games
But an entirely incredible measurement of them because those tallies have the majority of the games tallies are ports, rereleases, and minorly altered versions or simul-launched versions of the same game on multiple consoles.
>>
>>340229417

This. The market was so overestimated with Mega Man. I'm still see co of him
>>
>>340236217
There are 6 numbered Resident Evil games, 7 if you count 0. Code Veronica, Gaiden, two Outbreak games, two Chronicles games, two Revelaitons games, Mercenaries 3D, Operation Raccoon City, and three Gun Survivor games, for a total of 20.

If we're counting spinoffs of no significance as long as they aren't ports or alt versions, Mega Man classic alone has 10 numbered games, Mega Man & Bass, the 5 World games, two fighting games, Battle & Chase, and Soccer. That's 20, and I didn't include the Japan-only spinoffs like Rockboard or Super Adventure Rockman. And both series had remakes of their first series done. That's just the Classic series. Admittedly, the one with the most spinoffs, but between X, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network, and Star Force, even if you adhere to the same counting standards, you'll at least double this number. They put out a LOT of Mega Man games because they are easy to put together. Some of them were made in just a couple of months. Some of those were some of the best in the series!

I think people would be a lot less upset with Mega Man games suddenly stopping if the ones up until now had a more consistent quality.
>>
>>340237625
>And both series had remakes of their first series done

Their first games, I meant.
>>
>>340229038
There are already like 30 mega man games and people burn other companies to the ground if they dare even make more than a single sequel to anything. Capcom doesn't even have close to enough cash to take any risks on games that don't already have a massive committed fanbase
>>
>>340237625
>Some of them were made in just a couple of months.
Yeah, no. Give me a citation or shut it, bub.
>>
>>340238391
Mega Man 2
>I asked him what timeframe they were aiming for, and his reply was, 'Including the checks? Three months.' I was like, 'Whaaa!?' (laughs) So yeah, that's how '2' began.

Mega Man 7
>Due to the bad timing of certain things coming together at the same time, we basically only had three months to make '7'.

both quotes from Inafune in the Official Complete Works book I have on my desk, fuck off.
>>
>>340235827
...but Mega Man started in the 1980s, and RE started much later.
>>
>>340239134
...And has sold twice as many games. Mega Man started 29 years ago, and Resident Evil started 20 years ago. A 9 year gap, but not that big compared to how long both have lasted. Especially considering Resident Evil games still come out and the last Mega Man game was in 2010, which is 6 years ago.
>>
File: meger mien.png (3 KB, 155x192) Image search: [Google]
meger mien.png
3 KB, 155x192
>>340229235
lies
>>340229410
> implying MM BN and SF were bad

I went to the depths of hell but no even the dead are free of this pain
>>
>>340229410
I want Capcom to test the waters with MegaMan Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X on PC.
>>
Mega Man Battle Network games are great.
>>
File: rebuilding_megaman.jpg (529 KB, 800x2950) Image search: [Google]
rebuilding_megaman.jpg
529 KB, 800x2950
>>340229038
>>
File: 1455660458585.jpg (185 KB, 1096x728) Image search: [Google]
1455660458585.jpg
185 KB, 1096x728
>>340229038
Besides the obvious, what more could they do with Megaman?
>>
>>340240451
Give 3D a real try. But I really don't think there's anyone at Capcom who has what it takes to make a really good 3D action platformer. Taking a sidescrolling action game and turning it 3D is one thing, taking a 2D platformer and turning it 3D is another thing, those are both tough. Mega Man has a balanced focus on both action and weapons, and really well designed platforming. It's not surprise that Legends went in a totally different direction for 3D.
>>
File: reality.png (1 MB, 1473x956) Image search: [Google]
reality.png
1 MB, 1473x956
>>340229641
>overuse of all the ideas possibles to make games

> a megaman Mario maker before mario make
> a megaman X FPS
> a megaman MMO

the fuck are you talking about
all this were new ideas for the megaman series that were in development but capcom canceled for god knows why

I on to your shit anon
>>
Better question: Why are hey afraid to make more Darkstalkers games?
>>
Nobody cares, the games won't sell. You might look at MN9 and think, hey, all these people want Mega Man, but 60% of those people who backed Mighty No. 9 would never buy a Mega Man game in the time of 2000AD.

Nobody gives a shit. All the demand for a Mega Man game is nothing but nostalgia and other people wanting to cling to a part of video game history they were never part of.
>>
>>340229038
Because they uhh...you know...DON'T SELL?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.