[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so hard for devs to create emotional stories these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: aerith.jpg (7 KB, 125x248) Image search: [Google]
aerith.jpg
7 KB, 125x248
Why is it so hard for devs to create emotional stories these days?

Games are fun and all, but from an emotional POV they are close to bankrupt.

Reminder that this is the real reason people still rave on about FFVII to this day. Pic related and her loss managed to create a stronger emotional response in the player than any contemporary fancy pants motion captured voice acted character.

MGS might have been able to do it, but they took a massive thousand metal balls dump all over that
>>
That's just nostalgia talking
>>
File: carmack.jpg (208 KB, 530x424) Image search: [Google]
carmack.jpg
208 KB, 530x424
>stories
>vidya
>>
People got emotionally attached to her? Why? She's a bland character and barely says or does anything meaningful throughout the whole game.
>>
>>340177886
Not really, I get nostalgic playing the original GW but it's story is pretty shit outside of the overarching plot of prophecies+EotN.
>>
File: no holding baack.png (121 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
no holding baack.png
121 KB, 625x626
>>340178082
>>
>>340178058
>I only want MOBA's&co
>>
>Why is it so hard for devs to create emotional stories these days?

Because you're not 7 years old anymore.
>>
Know why? Let me tell you.

It's the obsession of graphics and the undying battle between AMD and Nvidia

The last game with a solid story was " The Last of Us" which people shit on because "just go see a movie!!!"
>>
>>340178523
but anonkun, I was 16 when FFVII released in moonland, we can't all be summerfags.
>>
>>340178730
Basically this.

It's all graphics / competetive / "Twitch'able" games these days. Games cater to parents who buy games to satisfy their underaged kids, not to actual gamers.
>>
>>340178730
Or maybe it was because TLoU's story was completely seperate from the gameplay, which was mediocre at best in the single player.
Good vidya stories tell you the story while you play, instead of dragging you off to the side to watch the characters do shit without you for a while.
>>
>>340177794
They talk about it still because it's babies first JRPG alongside Chrono trigger, alright games that have been surpassed by more modern games
>>
>>340179574
This, also that demographic seems to fall for the new marketing schemes like DLC,seasons passes, etc. So the more they cater to a child audience the more they can sell. Believe me, the 4channer or any internet game critic is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from priority.
>>
I hated aeris the moment cloud landed in her crack den
>>
i was fairly emotionally invested in the witcher
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.