[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's a "hitting a switch will spawn 50 lost souls"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: Doom_64-box-cover.jpg (48 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
Doom_64-box-cover.jpg
48 KB, 640x440
>it's a "hitting a switch will spawn 50 lost souls" level
>>
I can't believe how people praise this shit game and try to pretend Doom was always meant to be scary and this game simply was the first to do it right.
>>
File: Doom_Cover.jpg (65 KB, 260x370) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Cover.jpg
65 KB, 260x370
>>340113430
>it's a "Lockdown every 10 seconds" level
>>
>>340114873
Original Doom can be pretty creepy at times
>>
>>340116504
Even that is debatable but would you really say it was a horror game meant to be scary? Doom? FUCKING DOOM?
>>
>>340116775
Yes Doom. The entire first episode was filled to the brim with horror setpieces and was genuinely scary when it was new. Now it lost that effect for obvious reasons but the horror design is still clearly noticable.
>>
>>340117005
how can you listen to e1m1 and say this is supposed to be a horror game? How can you look at the cover of Doomguy fighting off a horde of demons right in their midst guns blazing and say it?
>>
File: 1356692834187.gif (10 KB, 492x610) Image search: [Google]
1356692834187.gif
10 KB, 492x610
>>340116775
I was afraid of Doom 1 when I played it as a 6 year old.
>>
>>340116383

What the fuck is peoples problems with Lockdowns? They were fun The entire game is about Ripping and Tearing. Why do people bitch when you go into a room and the game tells you to Rip and Tear everything you see? You're just playing the fucking game.
>>
File: d11m.png (96 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
d11m.png
96 KB, 960x720
>>340114873
I revisited Doom episodes 1 to 3 a few weeks ago out of D44M hype.

All I know is, Doom 3 is hated by this board because of parroted shit talk about how it's unbearably dark, has monster closets, corridor shooter. When I played through Doom 1, it was nothing but hit a switch and a wall reveals a pack of demons, navigating tight as fuck zippy hallways at 100mph, and squinting at what was essentially pitch black. The most offensive shit to come out of this is hiding a night vision item deep within a pitch black maze. It's almost like the map designer expects you to just fucking deal with it, but the night vision is rewarded afterwards.

Never again will I believe anything you idiots say, and fuck me if it's true Doom 2 has worse level design than this.
>>
>>340117132
By playing past that point. The second fucking level features a calm, moody theme playing while you're exploring dark corridors with demon growls everywhere. The third level has the lights go out leaving you in a pitch black room as imps come out behind you, for christ's sake. Then there's pitch black rooms filled with spectres later on. Play the game again instead of looking at RIP AND TEAR memes.
>>
>>340116383
they tell you too Rip and Tear at the start ..you knew what it was gonna be about.
>>
>>340117317
He will come up witj some bullshit about how fast ot plays ignoring the fact that Doom was kind of slow back in 93' given how you only used the KB to move, and of course hell itself has some moody and pretty disturbing (for the time) imagery
>>
I've been playing through classic Dooms over the last few days to get my mind off how awful the new game is, and they're great.

Played through Doom 1 and 2, and now I'm almost through 64(playing the PC port called 'Doom 64 EX'). I've never played D64 before, and it's really good.

Probably gonna do Doom 3 afterwards, I enjoyed that game and its expansion last I played it.

Don't forget to sub to my blog.
>>
>>340117317
None of that says explicit 'horror'. For fuck sake you have a protagonist who grins wildly when he picks up a new weapon to shred enemies with. This is like saying Devil May Cry was a horror game because it had spooky areas.
>>
>>340117562
You could play it with mouse but the mice back then were fucking shit and the camera movement was awkward in the original game. It's not like zdoom played on a modern computer at all, it was much more clunky.
>>
>>340117615
Devil May Cry didn't try to make you feel really vulnerable, deprive you of your senses and always keep you on edge (one of John Romero's design principles is to make the player feel like they can die at any point). It's as explicit as can be, it's just that the game mixes that up with cool action and dark humor so it's not some kinda pure survival horror game.
>>
>>340117708
Correct me if I'm wrong, but proper mouse movement was actually added after Quake but anyways, clunky movement added to the horror atmosphere that Doom had
>>
>>340118117
I actually play Doom 1.0 on DOSBox and it does have mouse aim. But moving the mouse forward and back at all causes Doomguy to move forward and back which is retarded.
>>
>>340118117
You're thinking of the y axis which wasn't in Doom but you could still use the mouse to look left/right and move forward/backwards. The manual even recommended it.
>>
>>340117606
how can you like Doom 3 and not 4?
>>
>>340117241
A major mechanic of the original doom was kill % . With the lockdown system, there's no more kill % significance since you cannot proceed without killing everything. it takes a rather fun completionist element out of the game.
>>
>>340116775
>He doesn't get scared as fuck when playing Doom 2 in the dark on Ultra Violence, walking down a dark corridor and bumping head-first into a Hell Knight
>>
>>340118367
I don't like how D44M's opening lines are "Rip and tear" and how D44Mguy destroys the monitor after suiting up like 'ha ha, you thought there would be some dumb story here? Nope, just ACTION(with forced cutscenes after each enemy kill)'
>>
>>340117241
It's predictable as fuck
>>
>>340118654
He destroys the monitor because Robot!Betreuger is obviously fucking evil and Doomguy knows exactly what kind of bullshit he's going to put him through.
>>
>>340117938
I guess that makes sense but games like Doom 64 and 3 took it way too far in the horror direction
>>
>>340118840
Doom 3 yes but Doom 64 has a shit ton of action only difference is the lower enemy count and the lack of metal
>>
>>340118807
It's the little character things. During the title splash in the elevator, doomguy only punches the monitor after glancing down at the dead body in the elevator with him.
>>
>>340113430
>it's a "there are 20 barons of hell" level
>>
>>340116383

>it's a "half of map blocked permanently level with secrets still left behind" level
>>
>it's a dark maze with specters coming out of every crevice followed by barons of hell level
>>
>>340117241
>"you know those levels in games where you have to defend an NPC while they hack a door for you to proceed"
>"yeah those are awful"
>"let's put those in doom, but remove the NPC"
>"OH SHIT PROBLEM SOLVED THEY'LL LOVE THAT"
>>
File: c71.jpg (17 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
c71.jpg
17 KB, 334x393
>>340116383
>It's a le rib an dare epic brutal episode
>>
File: lgdineS.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
lgdineS.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>340116383
>It's a 'they used the wrong cover for no apparent reason but let you switch it out anyway' release
Seriously though, why? Who thought that a gruff marine staring at you would sell more than 'holy shit look at this metal motherfucker killing demons in hell'?
>>
>>340117253
FEAR is what doom 3 tried so hard to be and failed miserably
>>
File: doom_black.0.jpg (192 KB, 1920x1033) Image search: [Google]
doom_black.0.jpg
192 KB, 1920x1033
>>340120996
I still wish this had been the cover. The "Gruff Marine" is generic as hell and the actual alt cover is an eyesore of a clusterfuck. Less is more.
>>
>>340121284
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
ITT: People confusing having sinister themes with being a horror game.

Doom was never meant to be a scary game. It has a sinister atmosphere, it can even be a bit scary sometimes, but it wasn't made to be a scary game, like some survival horror. If anything, it's a kind of a light-hearted game.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoHMXpdD4hg&ab_channel=corsak7

two battleships fucking
>>
>>340121818
It was always meant to be scary. Its design uses classic horror tricks to scare the player, just because it also has a lot of action doesn't mean it wasn't meant to have horror.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.