[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proper Questing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Cb_C1NNVIAMvaqK.jpg_orig.jpg (312 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Cb_C1NNVIAMvaqK.jpg_orig.jpg
312 KB, 2048x1536
Remember when Questing was interesting, dynamic and fun?

>Hey I need you to take out some enemies
>Cool, where are they
>North east, near the willow tree, can't miss it

Now it's been degraded to
>Map markers
>looking at ONLY your map and not even looking at the game
>Quests asking you to go 1200 miles away from the quest giver that will start an automatic cut scene

We are living in the god damn mentally challenged era. These games are dead at release, and you can't even change them with a mod because it isn't a simple fix, its foundation is rotten

Games that pull this shit
>FFxiv (teleport here and listen to people talk until they realize they have to kill something)
>current Fallout and current elderscrolls
>WoW
>>
File: 1302017780416.png (81 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1302017780416.png
81 KB, 240x240
>>340073925
I blame WoW for making it popular. Sure, it's probably been done much before then but when you got millions of people literally addicted to the game, devs are gonna take notes.
>>
>>340073925
I think it goes without saying, Runescape had the best questing system of all time. Haven't played I years though so don't know if quests are the same anymore
>>
It's better for younger kids OP. Don't you want younger kids to play?
>>
>>340074680
I never played timescale desu. How was Questing implemented?
>>
WoW was definitely the cause of that stuff. It was a big game that needed to make up lots and lots of quests to keep people playing. There weren't enough writers in the world to come up with a hundred interesting stories for every zone.
>>
>>340075137
It was never "kill 20 goblins" and that nonsense. Also, in Runescape the quests were not the only way to play. In every MMO you run from one npc to the next taking random fetch and kill quests to progress. But Runescape let's you do any thn you want with quests being secondary. Quests would give you experience in certain skills based on what the quest consisted of, and some opened new areas or the availability of new armies and weapons or items. The quests were also not auto tracked or marked so easily. The quest said "go here and do this" and you had to open your map and walk over to where you needed to be.
>>
File: EQ000017.jpg (168 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
EQ000017.jpg
168 KB, 1600x900
>>340075223
Everquest did it right. Quests were few and far between, but the ones worth doing were pretty massive in scope. Traveling across the globe for 1/10th of a quest item felt like a great adventure.
>>
>>340075498
I meant new armor and weapons, fucking mobile auto correct
>>
>>340075586
>shaman super weapom quests
I cant remember what the class special weapon was called in that game but to get it as shamans you basically go on a spirit journey.
>>
>>340075586
>>340075498
>>340074680
OK so, so far the game with the best type of Questing would involve minimal quest, and they would never be generic time wasters. They would offer you increased skills/perks and bonuses. They would all be massive in scope and never have a map marker.

Thats really cool actually. I never played ever quest.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.