[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sooo, what's the scariest game you ever played /v/? I actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 49
File: outlast.jpg (204 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
outlast.jpg
204 KB, 1920x1080
Sooo, what's the scariest game you ever played /v/?

I actually didn't play many, thought outlast was kind of scary but that's probably super casual for many of you.
>>
>>340063554
P.T. is the only game to have genuinely terrified me.

Silent Hill is interesting but not scary, Outlast is just shock, Resident Evil is goofy, etc.
>>
File: AoM Double painting.jpg (175 KB, 1008x1256) Image search: [Google]
AoM Double painting.jpg
175 KB, 1008x1256
Afraid Of Monsters: Director's Cut.

And this comes from a guy who played and loved games like Silent Hill and Penumbra.

>>340063717
>Silent Hill is interesting but not scary
I will never understand this kind of people.
>>
>>340063773
Not judging but do you actually find SH scary? I've not met many people who say it is.
>>
>>340063773
He's right though. Silent Hill is unnerving while being an interesting story you would like to unravel. PT puts that sense of dread in you that you don't really give a fuck about the plot and just want to be over with it all.
>>
Is it sad that I was probably more frightened playing the original BioShock than most any other horror game? Like, it's not supposed to be a horror but the general atmosphere throughout is unsettling and makes the jump scares that much more effective.

Anyway, recently Alien: Isolation comes to mind. The gameplay may get tedious after a while, but for the first half of the game you are just constantly on edge and always have to be on your guard. I love games that can manage that panicked feeling through atmosphere alone.

>>340063773
Agreed-if you like horror games but hate any Silent Hill then I can't possibly fathom you liking anything more than FNAF tier jump scares.
>>
I don't know about you guys, but I'd love a kind of open world game that would roughly be about 70% "normal" and 30% where you could stumble into terrifying surreal situations and locations similiar to the P.T. setting.

A real SCP game would be nice.
>>
There's a game I played recently called White Night. Scared me shitless because it did that resident evil thing of making a safe space not safe any more.
>>
>>340064246
I'd love this. Open world in an Alan Wake-esq environment where the spookiness is only uncovered if you look for it.
>>
File: puppetclosemi5.jpg (62 KB, 431x494) Image search: [Google]
puppetclosemi5.jpg
62 KB, 431x494
>>340063554
Thief: Deadly Shadows. I went into it completely blind not knowing that there were supernatural elements. I thought I was gonna have a good sneaky beaky time...

then I got to this part
>>
>>340064169
I liked BioShocks atmosphere but it wasn't all that terrifying for me and I am probably easy to scare.

I absolutely hate jump scares. They are cheap and they are legit annoying, they don't put real fear in me.

What are the top tier scary games with an absolute minimum of jump scares?
>>
File: sh1 sewers body.png (754 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
sh1 sewers body.png
754 KB, 1366x768
>>340064027
>Not judging but do you actually find SH scary?
Yes. Especially SH1 and 3. SH2 was the least scary of the Team Silent originals, but still had this neat, haunting atmosphere. SH4 had some great scares in the room.

>I've not met many people who say it is.
I've met MANY people who've said and shown it to be. Just few years ago, we held this gaming session evening with my Uni class. I set up PS1 emu and SH1 on one of the PCs, and let few people give it a shot.

5 minutes later, most of them came out looking kinda pale, calling me a sick individual for enjoying such creepy stuff. A couple of them did also get interested in the series tho', and borrowed the games from me.

>>340064118
>PT puts that sense of dread in you that you don't really give a fuck about the plot and just want to be over with it all.
Just shows how different people can be.
I was very interested of the plot and what was going on in PT right from the start, no matter how "oh please do I really have to do this?" I felt at times. Which, by the way, I have felt of just about every single SH game and likes as well.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I only played these games roughly 30 minutes at once, before I had to keep a nerve calming break.
>>
>>340064118

I disagree.

Earlier this year I played Silent Hill for the very first time on my old PS2. The graphics aged horribly (the monsters look hilariously bad), and the gameplay is nothing special.

And yet-it still gave me that feeling of dread through atmosphere alone. The radio was a big part of that for me. Being able to hear that an enemy is close to you or closing in on you and yet not being able to see them because of the fog or darkness is so nerve-wracking to the point where whenever a radio warns you about an enemy it just instantly puts you on edge. That's the kind of dread I normally don't get out of modern horror and think that, combined with the atmosphere, is what makes the Silent Hill games so great.
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>340064612
>What are the top tier scary games with an absolute minimum of jump scares?
Silent Hill 1-4. One reason they're so popular, besides the actually deep plots and god-tier atmosphere & OST.

You can play them on your PC. Here's a neat guide, and the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
>>
>>340064246
that would have been silent hills anon, blame konami, the quality of the demo would have showed you how good of a game it would have been
>>
>>340064769
here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.
>>
Condemed
>>
Any MMO, I can't deal with the social interaction.
>>
>>340064769
Cheers to you!

Probably would've started playing Silent Hill sooner, though I was always kind of a pussy / not that interested. Played less than 5 real horror games in my life
>>
It's a meme but honestly Five Nights at Freddy really shits me up
>>
>>340063554
I thought Outlast was scary too but an hour or two into the game it feels like Dead Space, you've seen all the tricks the game throws at you.
>>
I loved the first Penumbra game
>>
Amnesia?
>>
Bioshock was gonna have a lot more creepy shit in it but it was ultimately cut, I don't have the pictures but another anon once posted a bunch of really neat stuff about it.

More parasite-y and mutations based on sealife.
>>
The horror genre has so much more potential than the stuff thats actually out there... do devs just lack imagination?
>>
>>340065027
NP bro! Always happy to spread some SH love.

Some general protips:

-Never play below the Normal difficulties.
-Always adjust the in-game Brightness setting down.
-Don't try to fight everything. Just run, or turn off your lamp and sneak past enemies, whenever you can.
-Multiple replays of each game very recommended, as there's multiple endings + unlockables, not to mention tons of small details you easily miss on first run.
>>
File: mirror reflection.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mirror reflection.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>340065474
Spoopy shakey ghost stuff really does it to me, damn.
>>
>>340065471
I fucking love the environments in this game. They have so much love and charm.
>>
Dying Light made me shit myself at certain times, ususally when running into a group of 1HKO monsters at night but I'm not sure if it can be really called a horror game
>>
File: Clock-Tower-3-1.jpg (46 KB, 614x480) Image search: [Google]
Clock-Tower-3-1.jpg
46 KB, 614x480
Played the beginning of this game back then, the chase with sledgehammer-dude was kinda scary when I was younger, no idea if the rest of the game is any good.
>>
>>340065638
Not sure if charm is the right work to use but you can feel the love and thought they put into each room
>>
File: sh2-pc-2011-Fullhd.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sh2-pc-2011-Fullhd.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
>>340065638
I could say the same of all the four SH games.
I'm also a fan of the early 00s visual and map-design.

>this is a 15 years old console game
>>
>>340065751
Yeah, imo Dying Light and games like that are just action games that can have their moments but are ultimately not scary at all, they're just action games with enemies that are 'meh' horror-wise.
>>
>>340064612

I just remember one part during my first playthrough where I was hiding underneath a dock or some shit and could hear a splicer overhead just humming to himself and it just freaked me the fuck out for whatever reason.

Another time there's a room you go into with a splicer who's playing dead. I remember turning away to loot something and just seeing his shadow slowly come up from behind me waiting for me to turn around so he could attack.

Shit like that really got to me and it will forever be one of my top 3 because of that.
>>
>>340065362
Kinda makes you wonder when a lot of people consider a demo their scariest game ever.
>>
>>340065286
Anyone here have this? I would really like to see that.
>>
>>340065362
Very few big budget (or even small budget) horror games get made anymore and indie devs just ripoff stuff that is popular.
>>
>>340064169
>>340066048
The Medical Pavilon level was indeed pretty unsettling, but that's pretty much that. I don't really remember any scary moments from the rest of the game.
>>
Also would like a genuinely scary multiplayer horror game. I know that having another person with you automatically makes it less scary but, I wonder if you could somehow manage to still make it scary.

Like... limited communication (voice chat users would ruin the game for themselves), have freaky doppelgangers suddenly replace your comrade, behave humanlike for a while until they turn into a surreal, freaky, unspeakable nightmare that grabs and kills you. Just an example.
>>
File: Muh underpants.jpg (124 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Muh underpants.jpg
124 KB, 600x300
>>
>>340063554
Siren
>>
File: Ocean_house_hotel.jpg (45 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
Ocean_house_hotel.jpg
45 KB, 800x640
Honorable mention even though it was only a small part of a non scary game.
>>
Monstrum had me very fucking spooked for the first few hours, then I started realizing how hard and bullshit rng it is so I stopped playing

Still, the game was so atmospheric and immersive for the first few hours, goddamn I was scared shitless and I usually enjoy playing horror games.
I distinctly remember opening a door that had a floaty demon thing behind it, I ran into a room with two bunkbeds and hid under one, and it came into the room and actually started opening the closets and checking under desks/beds, it didn't find me though
>>
>>340063554
Horror is a very subjective genre given that fear is a very subjective feeling.

It's hard to tell which one was the scariest but I think Amnesia: The Dark Descent. SH 2 and Fatal Frame II come close.

>inb4 LOL AMNESIA IS NOT SCARY BECAUSE SILLY YOTUBERS PLAYED IT
Fuck off. It's not my fault that stupid people who don't know how to play horrors correctly didn't find it scary and made it look bad.

If anyone genuinely believes that Amnesia is not a good horror then they either didn't play it or played it in one afternoon/while talking to friends/without headphones/without immersing themselves.

Playing SOMA right now, it's pretty good. Fucking 10/10 if you aquaphobia or anything similiar.
>>
>tfw you really want to play horror games but you are the biggest pussy imaginable
>>
>>340068194
You need to realize that being scare is precisely the point of playing horror games.

Being the biggest pussy imaginable is a blessing. The worst part about playing al ot of horror games is that you get progressively harder to scare and it's not nearly as fun as it used to be.
>>
>>340068570
But being too big of a pussy just makes you turn off the game after five minutes.
>>
The first time through Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (no mods) is probably the scariest game of all time in my opinion. The atmosphere is insane. Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat were great too but not as scary (close though in spots). Alien: Isolation is also very effective even though it starts to get tedious after the halfway point and should have ended many hours before it did. It's a very stressful, intense, and atmospheric game all the way through though so it definitely had me on the edge of my seat. Generally horror games don't get me though, I love the Resident Evil and Dead Space games but they aren't scary and I just love the gameplay.
>>
>>340068816
Overcoming the fear is also part of the fun.

On few rare occasions I had to quit the game as well because I couldn't handle the atmosphere/suspense anymore.
>>
>>340069079
>The first time through Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl (no mods) is probably the scariest game of all time in my opinion. The atmosphere is insane.
Literally only the first encounter with Controller and X18 were scary, both pretty short.

X16 was arguably scary as well but eh not really.
>>
When I was playing Metroid Fusion and the Samus-X or whatever it was called was following you.

But then again it got more annoying than scary after a few while.
>>
>>340069287
For me, simply knowing that bloodsuckers existed was more than enough to put me on edge for the entire rest of the game after that point. Never knew when one might be around. The whole atmosphere of the game is very oppressive and lonely in general. I found it to be very creepy, nerve wracking, and effective as a horror game.
>>
>>340063554
is dreadout scary?
wanted too give it a go
>>
>>340064618
I think regular game players get kind of jaded toward horror and action, especially after playing silent hill or the first two dead space games
I literally fall asleep during horror and action movies now
>>
>>340069079

SoC had it's moments but when you get nightvision and also realize there's nothing out there besides the occasional dog/blood sucker it doesn't seem very scary
>>
>>340069679

fuck i wish bloodsucker AI wouldn't charge you and ruin shit, would be so much more tension if they would stalk you silently and try to kill you in a one hit cinematic death sequence from behind
>>
Probably Silent Hill 3 for me. Mostly because of the imagery. I always feel exhausted after playing it.

Siren is pretty spooky too but jesus the game is frustratingly hard at certain points and you pretty much need a guide to 100%. The game is incredibly obtuse with secondary objectives.
>>
>>340070313
That'd get old pretty quick unless they removed quicksaves or something
>>
Why was there so many horror games on the PS1 and PS2?
>>
>>340063554
>btw im a girl :)
>>
File: blood.webm (2 MB, 720x384) Image search: [Google]
blood.webm
2 MB, 720x384
Why has there yet to be a truly scary game about vampires?
>>
>>340071252
Vampires aren't scary.
>>
>>340071252
Because vampires are hardly scary.
>>
>>340065984
Looks better than SH4
>>340071015
There's a few meme reasons, like devs taking more risks during development, most games today are action games, the lower resolutions and lack of detail makes you think it's scarier than it is
I think the biggest thing is these days there's an extreme abundance of AAA and indie, resulting in less risks taken with established franchises, and indie games are usually shit, stuck in 2d, or are lacking in some of the main components of horror experiences
Back then there were a lot more middle tier budgets, and publishers who'd approve of risks the devs wanted to take, just look at Konami today...

>>340071252
Vampires are kind of lame anon, same with werewolves and other physical horrors which are also more understood
Silent Hill and other scary games are more spiritual, with things that are more removed from reality making them more unpredictable, and people are more likely to believe in demons and ghosts than physical horrors
>>
>>340071252
There is no scenario I can think of where vampires could be anything close to scary... and I'm trying hard.
They're more like pop culture folklore than genuine horror.
>>
>>340071252
Why has there yet to be a truly scary game about kittens?
>>
File: sh4 widescreen PC 1080.jpg (609 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sh4 widescreen PC 1080.jpg
609 KB, 1920x1080
>>340071907
>Looks better than SH4
not by much, to be honest. SH4 packs better tech, and especially character models look much less waxy.

SH2 and 3 just have higher contrast in scenes, thanks to the darker lighting and flashlight being the main source of light in most scenes.

>>340071015
>Why was there so many horror games on the PS1 and PS2?
This little game called "Resident Evil" was released on PS1 in 1996, and sold like hotcakes. By the time RE2 hit the shelves, it was already a well selling phenomenon of its own, one which the other publishers wanted to be part of.
>>
>>340071670
>>340071780
>>340071907
>>340072440

t. 13 year olds
>>
>>340071252
Vampires were born from a romantic viewpoint

There's no way to make them scary without shifting the focus onto something else.
>>
>>340073190
I like vampires anon, I just don't think they're scary.

If you think they're scary that's fine and you're not wrong, because it's scary 4 u and only you can be the judge of that
>>
>>340073306
>4 u

Kek
>>
>>340063717
P.T. was incredible. I'm so sad nothing came of it. Definitely would have been a fucked up horrifying experience.
>>
>>340068194
Same here.

I buy them, look at them, load them up, play for all of a cringing 5 minutes, then shut them down for the next couple of weeks.

And then watch Let's Plays of them.
>>
File: 1464806928215.jpg (54 KB, 439x423) Image search: [Google]
1464806928215.jpg
54 KB, 439x423
Horror has been hijacked by Lebbit (as this thread already proves) who think quirky tall pale weirdo monsters in top hats and skinwalkers are the epitome of terror.
>>
>>340063554
Cry of Fear.

Since I have a phobia that someone's always near.
>>
File: outlast buzzsaw guy.jpg (220 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
outlast buzzsaw guy.jpg
220 KB, 1600x1000
>>340063717
>Outlast is just shock

It's like you're retarded or something
>>
>>340074025
>posts pic proving his point

Okay
>>
>>340074165
Except it didn't, retard
>>
>>340074025
>GORE AND JUMPSCARES ARE SCARY GUYS I SWEAR
I can't be scared when those psychopaths are 2 times slower than a reporter with a camera and don't know how to use door knobs.
>>
>>340074025
Outlast was fucking scary honestly, the parts with the twins and the big ass dude who ran at you was always intense.
>>
File: 1464383880579.jpg (59 KB, 173x173) Image search: [Google]
1464383880579.jpg
59 KB, 173x173
>>340074350
>Outlast was fucking scary honestly
>>
File: undying1.jpg (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
undying1.jpg
94 KB, 1024x768
>>340063554
>>
>>340074501
Says the guy who stopped playing after a jumpscare

>n-no I just think jumoscares are shit I'm not even scared haha
>>
File: SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK.jpg (43 KB, 638x480) Image search: [Google]
SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK.jpg
43 KB, 638x480
>>
>>340074635
Frequent jumpscares are shit though.

If you genuinely believe jumpscares every 5-10 minutes with no suspense are scary then you didn't play a whole lot of horrors in your life, but that's ok.
>>
File: 1358900093204.jpg (70 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
1358900093204.jpg
70 KB, 530x530
>>340074571

That part with your sister, who has set up your mother's corpse at a creepy fucking banquet, using her as a puppet and singing lullabies
>>
>>340063773
Good pick.
I think AoM should have been done entirely inside the hospital. It felt really claustrophobic. The other areas are still terrifying, but not on the same level.
The ending was also pretty meh.I hate the "you are insane, you were hallucinating" schtick so much. Just ruins the entire atmosphere the game created.
>>
>there are people who think Outlast is good

That's scarier than any game.
>>
>>340074889
>The ending was also pretty meh
which ending did you get?
>>
>>340074842
>I'm right

Jumpscares are startling and outlast didn't have nearly as many as you think it did. It still adds to suspense and hesitation of the player because they are anticipating more of that and are on edge.
>>
>>340074842
>jumpscares with no suspense

did you play Outlast or did you stop after you got too scawed?
>>
>>340074894
I was hugely disappointed with Outlast. Watching the trailer I thought the game's premise was that you were stuck in a huge mansion with a psychopath hunting you. I thought it was a semi-open world survival game, where the only goal was to survive as long as possible. I got really hyped for it.
Then I played the game and realized it was a shitty linear jumpscare-fest with way too much focus on telling a story.
>>
>>340075390
>open world with crafting xD

Kys
>>
>>340075496
>open world with crafting xD
when did I say that?
>>
>>340075118
>>340075139
I did play it, and the problem with Outlast is that it's utterly shit at the beginning and only gets better later on in erms of atmosphere.

The first hours or so is nothing but frequent jumpscares and shock factor. Later on jumpscares get less frequent and atmosphere starts to build up, but it's damn hard to immerse yourself into it because as I said the AI is stupid beyond compare.
>>
>>340075631
There are plenty of greenlit early access steam games to appease your garbage taste, anon.
>>
>>340075076
>which ending did you get?
the one where you wake up in your house. the others endings aren't so different, they are all "you were hallucinating and thought people were monsters". There's even one where it was all a dream. I thought all of them were really dumb.
>>
File: Facebook-thumbs-up.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Facebook-thumbs-up.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
Friendly reminder :

>japanese horror games are gold
>western horror games are shit
>>
>>340075862
I mean I guess. It was cheap, I got my moneys worth. It's does what it does well and I enjoyed it.
>>
>>340075907
You are implying a lot of things. I never said I wanted crafting. If you think I wanted the game to be like Rust or Ark, you are completely wrong.
>>
>>340075965
This goes with most games
>>
>>340075862
It just establishes atmosphere quickly early on and then hits you with some spooks. It's good
>>
>>340064169
In Alien: Isolation, when your're in teh ship core and working on the computer, and turn around and theres like 12 Working Joe's are walking towrds you.

I didn't jump or anything, but certainly felt genuine terror.
>>
File: 1430609933637.webm (1 MB, 900x660) Image search: [Google]
1430609933637.webm
1 MB, 900x660
>>340071670
>>
>>340076374
>implying this is scary
I probably would be more scared if it was your mom instead.
>>
File: 1417435197769.jpg (15 KB, 241x231) Image search: [Google]
1417435197769.jpg
15 KB, 241x231
>>340076374
>>
File: 1332227970100.gif (448 KB, 498x328) Image search: [Google]
1332227970100.gif
448 KB, 498x328
Alien: Isolation probably has done it for me.
>>
>>340076645
ok kid go listen your slenderman creepypastas on Youtube
>>
File: 30 days of night vampires.gif (499 KB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
30 days of night vampires.gif
499 KB, 500x209
>>340071670
>>340071780
>>340071907
>>340072440
>>340072567
>>340073194
>vampires aren't scary
30 Days of Night proved they can be. Obviously fancy suit wearing British accent Dracula vampires aren't scary. The concept of an immortal parasite who can disguise himself as a human and only hunts in the dark, who then sucks the life out of his victims and turns them into one of his army, is scary. Seriously, 30 Days of Night made some fucking terrifying vampires. I'm sure a video game is capable of doing the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxvpFAEQX4
>>
>>340077198
Don't enforce your shitty taste on others, Anon. That's not how your mom raised you from what she told me.
>>
>>340077320
It's not that kind of "scary" though. Those vampires don't look much different to zombies.
>>
>>340077394
stop trying kid you're embarrassing yourself
>>
Jersey Devil scared the shit out of me when I was young.
>>
>>340077616
I don't understand. They're vampires (immortal, drink blood, turn others into vampires, only weakness is sunlight) but they're extremely spooky to me. The bird's eye view of them massacring the town is 2spooky4me.
>>
>>340077320
The original version of Let the Right One In (both book and movie) show that they can be scary as well, where they're more of a force that moves through humans, and anywhere they go, death will follow.
>>
>>340077673
That's not what your mom said last night.
>>
>>340077973
As I said in one of the other posts fear is a very subjective feeling.
>>
File: skin care.webm (2 MB, 624x368) Image search: [Google]
skin care.webm
2 MB, 624x368
>>340064618
> let them borrow your games instead of teaching them how to download a copy for themselves

and then he never saw his games again
>>
File: il_fullxfull.244230350[1].jpg (242 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.244230350[1].jpg
242 KB, 1000x800
>>340071670
>
>>
>>340078317
They were PS2 games, son.

And we went to same school, lived on the same block, and so on and so forth. Got my games back just fine, and if I recall right, I even got something back while at it.
>>
>>340064027
>>340064118
Silent Hill 3 is the only game that got me to drop it for no other reason than spooks. The fucking mirror room still creeps me out just thinking about it.
>>
>>340077320
The problem most monsters have is that they usually translate into "savage creatures with pointy teeth and/or long claws running after you". They are gruesome and might even be scary the first time, but they get old really fast. Basically, since they have such a in-your-face style and behaviour, they blow their shock-load in the first encounter and you get used to them afterwards. An ideal horror creature should be subtle, lurking, it should indeed have a menacing appearance but it shouldn't go all guns blazing the first time you see it. It should make you fearful of its strike by having its presence be a sign of impending doom.
I'm not sure if I got my point across, but I tried my best.
>>
>>340063554
When I was a kid it was Coldfear, never even got to the monsters. Nowadays nothing is really that scary. PT was good and unsettling but not scary
>>
>>340064597
Yes, that asylum was scary af. Actually way scarier than Dead Space or Alan Wake imo.
Besides that
>Amnesia
>Condemned 1 + 2
probably scared me the most
>>
Just imagine read Dracula when it first came out. There wasn't as much vampire literature out as there is now and the early parts of the novel are just a man writing about the horror of the castle and a lizard like creature seen crawling the outer walls.
>>
Probably P.T. honestly. It's the only horror game I've played that made me too stressed to be enjoyable. Silent Hill 3 came close though, I could only play that in short bursts.
>>
>>340077320

If there was a survival horror game based on that movie/comic, I'd play it.
>>
>>340063554
Alien Isolation is the only one that comes to mind in recent years. I made it a rule that I was only allowed to play it after 11 PM.

Years back when I was young, I would've had to say games like Manhunt and Condemned.
>>
>>340078884
The point is horror isn't about le spooky monsters running at you screaming. This is the cheapest type of horror you can make and it quickly stops being scary at all. Good horror is about slowly building up the tension, the feeling that something bad will happen and the inevitability of it.
And vampires are good at that, They're hunting in the dark, can get to your home without problems, suck your life energy out of you and make you one of them, or, in some cases, they puppet slave. And they aren't just some wild beasts, they're intelligent and cunning. The problem is, this can make a great horror book or movie but doesn't really translate well into a video game.
>>
>>340079665

I wish there was a good vampire/werewolf game where they were playable.
>>
>>340074228
Of course it did.
>>
>>340079289
yeah, it would probably be genuinely scary. there are some great creepy and suspenseful moments in dracula, but in the modern day, most of it has turned into popular tropes so you know what to expect a lot of the time. but back then, it probably did some proper good spooking. plus, it was pretty new in its format too.
>>
>>340079665
That's what I'm saying. I was pointing out why I think that the vampires from the film he posted are not good horror creatures.
I actually think that vampires can make good horror game monsters .Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon is a good example of a vampire game done right.
>>
>>340079937
Yep, so it's impossible to make a game with them since we all know the rules and logic a "vampire" has to abide by. Like how could you make a game about vampires without being an Alien:Isolation, or Outlast "clone".
>>
>>340073908

>skinwalkers

Jesus. I've pretty much stopped going to \x\ because of these assholes. Literally every thread and every other post is just wanking over skinwalkers.

On subject, The Rake game is kinda spooky. I'd say it's worth one playthrough if nothing else.
>>
The worst thing about Outlast was the writing. Those stupid notes...

>I swear to fucking God that if I ever come across the evil CEO of this evil corporation, I will kick his FUCKING ass out of FUCKING orbit! Oh girlfriend, by the time you read this, I will probably be FUCKING dead thanks to FUCKING CORPORATE FUCKING GREED FUCK THESE FUCKING CUNTS I SWEAR I'M WRITING THIS IN A STATE OF TERROR CAN'T YOU TELL FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUCK and then that fucking asshole died in the elevator, good fucking riddance.
>>
How about some of you tardflakes stop arguing about what's scary and what's not, since it's really a waste to discuss something so subjective? This is one of the worst parts of /v/ imo, this and the bandwagon shit and bashing everything thats mainstream popular as if it would get you anywhere. Sigh.
>>
the only good vampire games have been the ones where the player is the vampire

for a successful vampire game to work, the vampire needs to have all the TRADITIONAL (like possesion, mist and bats) powers, there needs to only be 1 and it needs to be stalking the player through a well made area constantly with enough false flags to throw the player off so that when it actually attacks it's surprising
>>
>>340081361
>thread about scary
>stop arguing about scary, guise
>>
>>340065831
The acid guy was spooky too but the game starts getting hilarious. One of the chasers is Kratos and they turned scissorman into katana wielding clown twins of different gender.
>>
>>340065831
played it fairly recently. short answer: nope.

the game is pretty scary in the beginning, but the story gets really stupid and you meet some hammy bad voice acting. in fact, some of the voice acting is worse than any of the Resident Evil games.
>>
>>340063554
Underhell.

Mostly because the spooks in the house are completely fucking random when they occur and catch my ass off guard every time.

Theres only a few of them that are scripted to always happen.

And Underhell is a better FEAR than the entire FEAR series.
>>
File: 1331306024552.jpg (467 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1331306024552.jpg
467 KB, 1200x1200
>>340071252
People fear whats unknown. The more the monster is explained, the less scary it becomes and no monster has been explored more than vampires.
It also doesnt help that the average depiction of a vampire in anyone's mind is just a human with pointy teeth, or worse, forever young cosmopolitan teenagers who glitter in sunlight.

But that's not only the problem of vampires and more with horror itself. The last successful movie that resembled anything like horror and wasnt a "shitty ghost throws stuff and bullies a retarded family" was probably It Follows. Nothing was explained about what that thing was or why it did the things they did. Just that there was a curse and sex passed it on.

Horror genre is fucking dead.
>>
>>340081519
>this is scary
>no it's not
>yes it is!
>lol you are dumb
>no u

That's how a thread is supposed to go for you huh?
>>
>>340063554
Vanilla, first time play-through of Amnesia the Dark Decent. Played only at night, with lights off, headphones on, settings tweaked to my liking.
Got lost in the manor and became so terrified of the game when I got to the Prison I quit and haven't finished the game since.
>>
>>340081717
Yes.
>>
>>340081669
It doesn't help that It Follows turned into complete shit about halfway through. I can't remember the last time I saw an enjoyable horror film.
>>
>>340081669
>Horror genre is fucking dead.
I disagree with this particular point (I see a bit of a revival in horror stealth (Alien Isolation, Outlast, Amnesia, etc.) and in some indie horror adventures), but everything you said about vampires is tragically true.
>>
>>340064769
Are there any ways of fixing SH3's tearing? I don't know if SH2 does the same thing
>>
>>340063554
the main problems with making scary monsters is the fact that the AI is shit.

I want monsters that are harder to outsmart than a 3 year old child, monsters that act like monsters. Alien Isolation put a lot of effort into making the AI good, but halfway through the game it got pretty old and predictable.
>>
>>340077320
The closest vampires have come to being scary was in The Strain, and even in that only the Master/Patient Zero was particularly intimidating.
>>
Once saw some movie as a child that was really shit overall but for child-me still kinda creepy. Fear of the Dark or something. Basically there were those things that would appear in dark places, gaining power by fear or whatever, basically the personification of childhood fears.

A game where the brightness of the area directly corresponds with the horrors that you see could be fun if done right. Like... hallucinations or eerie "did I just see that?" moments in dim rooms to absolute terrors in the pitchblack darkness.
>>
>>340082179
it's never bothered me, but I guess you could try limiting the framerate a couple ticks below your screen's refresh rate using the Riva Tuner Statistics Server program, that comes with the MSI Afterburner.
>>
File: NIK_0292_small.jpg (128 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
NIK_0292_small.jpg
128 KB, 1200x800
>>340082532
Anon, they fucked him up big time once they revealed his face. Should have kept him in the dark.
>>
>>340082109
I was speaking more about movies, but yeah there was an increase of horror games lately, but that's still just barely above being dead. Outlast was years ago, the evil within turned out to be bland and soma was more existential crisis than horror. I did like the concept of broken down robots believing they are people.
>>
>>340082758
So basicly Alan Wake?
>>
>>340082758
I vaguely remember that movie. I think the evil was somehow concentrated under a kid's bed or something.
>>
>>340082964
I completely dodged Alan wake, is it really just like that? Brightness related horrors? Fuck. Ignore my post then.

Though it's probably not like I imagine it.
>>
File: FrightNight-Amy.jpg (175 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
FrightNight-Amy.jpg
175 KB, 1200x800
>>340082532
Spooked my shit desu senpai
>>
File: Wachowski-Brothers.jpg (31 KB, 633x368) Image search: [Google]
Wachowski-Brothers.jpg
31 KB, 633x368
Edgy fags diss outlast but it is best horror since amnesia

I personally enjoyed layers of fear
I binged the whole game in one night
really enjoyable
>>
>>340082758
is this the one where the brother brakes his leg?
>>
For people that say "resident evil isnt scary", play REmake. Not only is it scary, it just looks great, sounds great, and is a little more serious than the other games in the series.
>>
File: Master.jpg (31 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
Master.jpg
31 KB, 600x480
>>340082943
How the fuck do you go to that from this and think, "yeah, that's better"?
>>
>>340083140
Cancer killing horror
>>
>>340067234
This x100
>>
I don't play horror games normally but lisa was pretty spook sometimes
>>
>>340067701
yes SOMA puts you in an anxiety state that I hardly ever had in any other game (FEAR 1 maybe). It also has a mindblowing ending.
>>
>>340083382
Don't get me wrong, I loved SOMA, but existentialism 101 is hardly mindblowing.
>>
File: 1.jpg (3 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3 KB, 450x253
>>340083058
Nah I think there was this coat in a closet that kinda looked like a guy in the dark and the kid was scared of it cause of that.
>>
>>340083471
Eh. Well it was pretty immersive for me.
>>
File: 1463792538316.jpg (48 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
1463792538316.jpg
48 KB, 309x309
>>340083261
That is good or bad?
>>
>>340064246
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
>>
File: AlanWake 2016-01-03 21-10-44-72.jpg (212 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AlanWake 2016-01-03 21-10-44-72.jpg
212 KB, 1920x1080
>>340083129
Part of the premise is that evil lurks in the shadows and the darkness. It only comes out at night and it can only be destroyed/weakened with light. What this ultimately boils down to gameplay-wise, however, is that you're using a flashlight like a laser beam to wear down enemies in poorly lit areas.

I liked the game, but I don't think it explored this idea all that well.
>>
I really liked haunting ground
>>
>>340083772
Yeah, no S.T.A.L.K.E.R doesn't have the supernatural ghostly spoopy P.T. like stuff I was talking about.
>>
Outlast had an overused boring setting, and it always felt contrived when you had to find keys or something to unlock or fix a door or exit. Backtracking is ok in something like resident evil, but when youre collecting keys in resident evil it feels like youre progressing through the game, it doesnt feel like padding or "oops, lost my camera, gotta get it back!"
its not the worst horror game, but its so generic and boring to me. which someone will argue that with resident evil, since i mentioned, but i just find that game and series more endearing to me and not just jump scares and running without any weapons.
what ever happened to horror games giving you shit to defend yourself?
>>
>>340083730
Bad
>>
>>340083843
Basically a slightly more mature Luigis Mansion. lel
>>
>>340083508
Yeah, apparently I was confusing it with a movie literally called "Under the Bed".
>>
>>340083129
Maybe not completely that, but basicly the big evil spirit's power source is darkness, therefore light is the only way to fight it and it's creations. This actually creates few interesting game mechanics like having to weaken the people possessed by darkness with flashlight or other light source before being able to hurt them and well lit areas serving as safe zones. So that when the light suddenly goes down you know shit is about to get real.

Story wise though it's not really what you described. It's heavily inspired by stuff like Twin Peaks, Twilight Zone and King's works. Great game though, one of my favourites. If you haven't played it I would definitely reccomend to.
>>
>>340084160
What's the problem in that movie can't they just, burn the bed, don't go near it or turn it upside down? Geez.
>>
>>340084017
stalker totally has spoop in abundance, there is even a building that fucking does the same thing as P.T. with the room repeating over and over
>>
File: 48-buzz.jpg (18 KB, 620x334) Image search: [Google]
48-buzz.jpg
18 KB, 620x334
>>340084056
Why?
I enjoy both
if you abandon the meta attitude you could enjoy the pace and scares
>>
>>340084285
Yeah I was more talking about things manifesting in the darkness turning into random horrors, less about possessed people or whatever
>>
>>340084621
This stuff also happens, although to lesser extent.
>>
>>340083140
>If you disagreeds with me you're edgy
Anon, it's alright to like the game, just don't tout it as a great horror game when it's barely more than a jump scare game. It doesn't make it a bad but it's a game that doesn't understand horror, nor do it's fans apparently.
>>
>>340084395
Is there really a healthy amount of spoop? Not just one or two spoops? Didn't play it yet because I thought it was something like fallout with a tiny bit more resident evil like horror not the silent hill type.
>>
>All these hipster faggots in here dissing Outlast.
At least it's actually a game, dunderheads. And it IS scary and it's sequel looks scarier.
>>
File: r8XNZ.gif (788 KB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
r8XNZ.gif
788 KB, 235x240
>>340071252

CHANGE THEM!

Imagine a vampire hunting game where the vampires are essentially the boss/high-tier enemies and they require a fuckton of preperation and study to fight.

In order to stake them you have to put an enormous amount of force behind the strike as the chest plate has mutated, the ribs becoming like an internal carapace. So the vampire must be completely subdued or a powerful trap/weapon or technique must be practiced.

The mother fuckers regenerate, constantly and night time vamp fighting is considered the monster-hunter tier hard get gud mode. Only the manliest of fucking Dark souls players ever fight high end vampires at night. You must be a memeing mother fucker to even consider.

Vampires at daylight are a severely weakened state, those that do not sleep lose their ability to veil their presence, do not have their keen senses and lesser regeneration. They are severely strong humans or beasts instead of the scary as fuck monsters.

Hunting them requires several steps, the probing or scouting phase, establishing your beachhead or conflict zone, then carefully baiting what you can handle and a careful but labored fight.
>>
File: d1B8HMk.jpg (87 KB, 964x1126) Image search: [Google]
d1B8HMk.jpg
87 KB, 964x1126
Ghost gurls will always be scary guise.
>>
>>340071252
The Evil Within was originally meant to be a Vampire hunting game.
>>
Amnesia with mods is best horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DK88pzmUiM
>>
>>340084845
i really have no idea what you like, just watch a video of shadow of chernobyl or the newest one
its a lot of walking around and immersion, some shooty guy, some boo
>>
File: outlastgroom.png (208 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
outlastgroom.png
208 KB, 640x360
>>340084802
>interesting story
>creepy
>rec mechanic looks insanely good
>loonies everywhere
>jumpscares
>mad doctors
>religion cult
>bosses
>my husbando
>amazing pace
>unique by today's standards of horror games
Negro, the game is good
the DLC is even better

Telling people that they don't 'understand horror' is edgy as fuck
>>
>>340084845
It has many spoops. The game has a very thick atmosphere, you're always vigilant. Even areas that you know have only bandids will make you tense, mostly because gun-wielding enemies can kill you very easily so you have to always be careful in combat.
>>
>>340085343
I think ghosts get more mileage than vamps because there's more mystery to how they function so you can do more shit, whereas vamps get a select set of rules that sometimes has something interesting done with them.
>>
File: kek.jpg (66 KB, 707x675) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
66 KB, 707x675
>>340085235
>hide&seek simulator
>scary
>>
>>340085465
Hope you are not talking about bandits or mutants when you are talking about spoops.
>>
>>340085678
What kind of spoops do you want senpai?
The game has some very unnerving situations.
>>
>>340085563
Better than the walking sims that you probably played.
>>
Nigga...

Granny's Garden.
>>
File: 1464952785550.jpg (443 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1464952785550.jpg
443 KB, 600x800
>edgy fags that just watched a letsplay - the thread
scary is in the eye of the beholder

Outlast jumpscares are not cheap, they are really well scripted, as the dogs and windows in re1

Layers of fear visual effects are outstanding
>>
>>340086181
>le edgy edge edgy edge edgy
Yeah, we heard you the first time.
>>
>>340086181
Outlast has a good start. The build up is just right, but it falls into the same horror patterns that have been present in games when the action gets started in that you're either running or hiding. It did not do a lot new or extremely well. it is an okay game and gets praised a bit too much.
>>
>>340085832
The kind ghostly supernatural surreal ones and not something like "oh there is a lot of enemies and that mutant over there looks kinda dangerous and brutal and there is lots of gore yadda yadda"
>>
>>340085431
I got so hard during the droom segments,
>>
>>340086181
Layers of Fear wasn't scary at the end of the day. It was too heavily scripted.
>>
>ITT: People who got no clue what's really scary
>>
>>340086967
Valuable input. 10/10 not I truly know fear.
>>
>>340086390
it doesn't have any scripted jumpscares if that's what you want
>>
>>340084043
name a first person game that gives you weapons to defend yourself that is scary.
>>
>>340087303
Penumbra gives you a hammer and you can knock shit out with it.
>>
>>340087303
Afraid of Monsters
Cry of Fear
>>
>>340087424
The horrible combat system is the scariest thing in the game.
>>
>>340087558
The crouch-on-a-box-hammer method is tried and true in MMA you pleb.
>>
>>340077320
You can probably make almost anything scary if you try hard enough but vampires aren't really usually scary anymore.
>>
File: 1439983915647s.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1439983915647s.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>340087683

>not using the broom
>>
>>340064910
Isn't the PSN store game full of issues? I've been pondering getting it there but everywhere I google its just people complaining about sound issues and what not
>>
>>340088243
No issues when I played it
>>
>>340084043
I liked outlast a lot before dude nanomachines lmao happened, but yeah I agree it has a certain generic feeling to it. Still worth a play I'd say
>>
>>340073856

This. I even played goddamn Dead Space 2 with sound all the way down. I'm really excited to play horror games, but then the feeling of unease becomes frustrating and I just shut it down.
>>
>>340081669
no, do you really know what people fear? Something scream at their face.

Like what the fuck even
>>
>>340086361
Well I have to agree, thr game is not the best thing ever, but looking at others in the genre/year, makes it look like the fucking shadow of the colossus

Once again DONT MISS THE DLC
>>
>>340089726
I dunno if being startled is really being afraid. You jump, your heart beats, then you're over it and probably annoyed that something loud screamed in your face. You know what startles me? A fucking toaster. Am I scared of a toaster? No.
>>
>>340089832
DUDE DICKS LMAO
>>
>>340085431
>Having to find your way out of Trager's ward while hearing him walking and opening and closing his shears
I've hardly been that tense in my life
>>
File: 1456162811081.jpg (60 KB, 343x317) Image search: [Google]
1456162811081.jpg
60 KB, 343x317
>>340090258
took me 30 minutes
>>
>>340090474
>When he's walking at the end of the corredor to go to the elevator and the other corredor but he would instead turn around and sprint to you while screaming at you
That game was frightening I swear
>>
>>340088243
you're probably thinking of the HD remake of SH2 and 3, SH1's PSN release seems pretty good
>>
>>340076281
That was one of the best "oh shit" moments I'e ever had in a game.
>>
>>340063554
silent hill 1

still need to play the fatal frame series though. I'll probably save it for this halloween since it's coming up soon.
>>
File: 1465137437795.jpg (33 KB, 386x393) Image search: [Google]
1465137437795.jpg
33 KB, 386x393
"4 stages of terror"
>playing outlast
>gets so bored i start to make duck sounds
>i imagine myself playing something else
>i start to run into things while yelling "Ayyyyyy"
>uninstall game
>>
>>340081717
Don't forget the "i just rolled off yer mom lel"s. Lot of those in here, too.

Anybody else really like The Suffering? That was a really good game that does not hold up. I'd kill for a quality reboot of it.
>>
>>340091217
you sound about as big of a faggot as those that dickride outlast.
>>
>>340074228
yes it did, thats exactly what shock is ya dingus
Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.