[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For people who started playing The Elder Scroll with Morrowind:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 196428-mw_creature_vivec.jpg (60 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
196428-mw_creature_vivec.jpg
60 KB, 640x640
For people who started playing The Elder Scroll with Morrowind:
Did you like Skyrim better than Oblivion or was it vice versa?
>>
>>340030948
I liked Skyrim better, but I always thought that was because I was an aesthete and not a proper RPG player.
I think Oblivion was more steps forward than Skyrim, it's just that it took those steps wildly in ways people didn't appreciate.
Skyrim was more focused and was a more cynical consumer product, so it felt better in a superficial way.

So I enjoyed Skyrim better, but more everyday I'm thinking Oblivion was the better game.
>>
>>340031593
>Skyrim was more focused and was a more cynical consumer product

How though?
>>
yeah, skyrim is better than oblivion
>>
I liked Oblivion better overall but I never finished Skyrim or whatever xpacs came out after.

I really liked Shivering Isles. Without that I think I prefer Skyrim due to the setting.

I'm one of those guys that likes Morrowind a lot better than Oblivion or Skyrim.
>>
>>340032148
It seemed like they took more care to suck up to the player, give more direction, make it more idiot proof and generally provide instant gratification.
>>
>>340032203

Didn't people theorize for ages that Shivering Isles was "an apology" to Morrowind fans for blandness of Cyrodiil after the big retcon?
>>
>>340030948
Skyrim is better than Oblivion but so is this turd I'm about to drop so not exactly much of an endorsement.
>>
File: morrowind and daggerfall.png (90 KB, 1013x1355) Image search: [Google]
morrowind and daggerfall.png
90 KB, 1013x1355
>>340030948
>>
>>340030948
I was disappointed by Oblivion and avoided Skyrim because /v/ shat all over it. Yes I am easily influenced.
>>
>>340030948
I dunno man, I could be getting older but their games just feel blander and blander with each installment.
>>
>>340030948
Oblivion. Better quality side quests than even Morrowind, other than that, meh. Skyrim just didn't have much going for it at all, there's better mods for it than the two of them though.
>>
Dislike them both, but I favour Oblovion.
>>
>>340035971

It's not your age.

Bethesda like most devs have stopped caring about their games/fans and just want money.
>>
Oblivion was the best

>Perfect mix of Skyrim and Morrowind's combat.
>Amazing quests.
>Memorable NPCs

However, I liked Morrowind's world because it was so fucking strange. That's probably why Shivering Isles was my favorite expansion. Most people I've met in person have only played Skyrim and it tickles my autism something fierce.
>>
>a game by Kirkblade
>a game not made by Kirkblade
>a horseshit loved by normies
HUH I WONDER WHICH IS THE BEST
>>
File: 1389622564926.jpg (229 KB, 1024x633) Image search: [Google]
1389622564926.jpg
229 KB, 1024x633
>>340030948
I played Oblivion first and bounced off it
Then I played Skyrim, mostly because I got into modding thanks to Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and liked it very much.
Then I played Morrowind, becaus lorefags would not stop talking about it, and I got curious. I totally fall in love with it.
I could no longer go back to Skyrim. Skyrim was beautiful to watch, but game itself was bland, limiting and boring. I'll probably reinstall it when Skywind comes out
I think I might give Oblivion a second chance, most likely with mod to reduce/remove level scalling.
>>
>>340030948
I liked Skyrim better because it followed the lore closely (unlike Oblivion and it's plot holes) and it had a nice world. It was dumbed down but it all started in Oblivion anyways
>>
>>340036978
I'd like to recommend Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mixed with OblivionXP as mods. Currently playing through with this setup and the game is MUCH better
>>
>>340033998
What big retcon?
>>
>>340030948
skryim had a better map. like it didn't seem like they used a random hills generator for the terrain unlike oblivion.
however oblivion has a better everything else.

also the shivering isles felt handmade just like morrowind.
>>
>>340038643
muh jungle
>>
>>340036361

>Perfect mix of Skyrim and Morrowind's combat.
>staggered every 2 hits
>backpedalling around throwing 300 fireballs to kill a single enemy

All games had depressingly average combat, but at least Skyrim slightly improved on the action part while Morrowind is still the best in terms of stat-based combat, just like an RPG should be. Oblivion is great for cozy exploration, has the best quests and guilds, but the combat, from spell-slinging to full melee, is objectively abysmal.

A game with Oblivion's coziness, quest design and guild system, Skyrim's improved combat and graphics and Morrowind's stat system, spell-crafting, art direction, lack of hand-holding and writing would probably be the absolute GotYAY.
>>
>>340038643
read Cyrodiil's description in any game before Oblivion. It was not meant to be generic fantasy kingdom
>>
>>340038643
Cyrodiil was supposed to be mix of Roman and Chinese empires, while province itself was described as jungle cut with countless rivers and terrace rice fields
>>
>>340034197
What if all entertainment ever was just a dumb down something else? What was the original?
>>
>>340030948
I played Morrowind first on the OG Xbox but the loading times and tendency to crash prevented me from getting far

Played Oblivion, it was okay, not terribly memorable, and I remember being pissed off at how many spells the game gave me that my build never had a chance of having the magicka to cast even once because I tried going for a bit of everything

went back to Morrowind on PC years later with the overhaul mod and loved the absolute shit out of it. I had forgotten just how rich and exotic the world was, a breath of delicious air when the fantasy genre is bogged down with boring as fuck green fields and snowy mountains.
I was also really impressed with the sense of heroism the main plot conveyed, specifically where you have to get yourself unanimously declared hortator and nereverine. It really felt like my character was earning their respect in a much more meaningful way than just slaying monsters and word of that filtering down to people.

I actually had a surprising amount of fun with Skyrim too, actually, especially with the Dragonborn DLC. Not the main quest, but going around the world accumulating unique weapons, artefacts, and powers, RP-ing as some obsessed occultist
>>
>>340039109
fucking rockstop, in my day we had the limitless power of our own imaginations, now the kids are all bogged down by the limitations of the physical world
>>
Skyrim as the level scaling isn't as bad. Rest of both the games are solid to me.

Played Morrow on the PC when it came out.
>>
>>340036978
How far along is Skywind? It looked like it was still decades away from completion the last time I checked.
>>
>>340039435
there was no public release for quite some time. Supposely they decided to keep development closed, for sake of their own sanity, and they will release only after reaching stable build.
They make youtube updates though, showing how things move foward.
>>
>>340030948
vanilla Oblivion is worse than vanilla Skyrim for me because I like to sneak around and steal shit and vanilla Oblivion just didn't put anything worth stealing, in contrast with Morrowind / Skyrim. Or else you had to level way up before the rich people's jewelery cases and weapons chests had anything other than paper clips and dust motes.
>>
File: 212121324.jpg (6 KB, 183x288) Image search: [Google]
212121324.jpg
6 KB, 183x288
>>340030948
Skyrim is better, Oblivion now looks like unimmersive playdoh.
>>
>>340040095
I forgot to add that Oblivion is still better than Skyrim, I just have to add a few mods. I've not tried modded Skyrim yet, to be fair.
>>
>>340030948
I was playing Morrowind for what it was, a game with great story and atmosphere. After doing what I wanted to do I went over to Skyrim again, without any big expectations, and I liked it for what it was, a funnish game with a sort of interactive world and Dawnguard. Then I thought I d go back to Oblivion for a bit, maybe have fun with some quests, and after finishing DB for the hundredth time, there was nothing to do. The world was boring, the NPCs dumb and most of the quests bland.
Guards going oh ur dragonborn was pretty shit in skyrim, but after getting used to it, when it doesnt happen in Oblivion it feels really weird and the NPCs lazy and shitty.
>>
File: 1465061978779.png (94 KB, 392x243) Image search: [Google]
1465061978779.png
94 KB, 392x243
both are good games but i can't pick a favorite
>>
File: 1465122558525.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1465122558525.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>340030948

I enjoyed Oblivion way, way more than Skyrim; however I couldn't honestly say it was because Oblivion was a better game, but because I expected more from Skyrim and was less blind to it's flaws.

>Play Morrowind for first time, 12 years old. It's my first RPG, I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't get far, but it's absolutely fascinating and amazing.

>Play Oblivion for the first time, 15 years old. Way more accessible and I'm less retarded, I get into it and it feels amazing. So much to see and do, play it all the way through + expansions.

>Play Skyrim, 20 years old. Pirated it because the leaked gameplay didn't look up to expectations. Actually manage to enjoy the first third of the game or so while it feels fresh and I'm going to new places all the time, gives those oblivion & morrowind feels. Once this runs out I really notice how bad so many of the individual elements are that I grow to absolutely hate it, despite how much I want to like it.

>mfw
>>
>>340030948
I preferred skyrim over oblivion.
oblivion had the open world loading times that morrowind had, and the crap skill system.
most of all I hated the enemy scaling in the game.
still morrowind is the best of the 3
>>
>>340030948
Oblivion was the better one hands down
>>
>>340036075

This.
>>
Oblivion>Skyrim
I still played and enjoyed skyrim but holy fuck the choices they made were infuriating.

Chief among them being the hyping of the civil war, whichever side you chose was the same quest line with allies and enemies swapped. The final battle was just some little tussle between 10 npcs.

At least it seemed like they were trying with oblivion, every new game is and will be a slow decline. Judging by the direction they took with fallout next elder scrolls will probably be souls-like combat + perks. Might not even be the worst thing if the story is any good.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.