[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wait, I'm confused, are video games "art"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: williams-gamesasart-splsh2[1].jpg (149 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
williams-gamesasart-splsh2[1].jpg
149 KB, 500x250
Wait, I'm confused, are video games "art"?
>>
File: Untitled.png (13 KB, 642x263) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
13 KB, 642x263
>>
>>340019306
No, they're toys.
>>
>>340019408

Now how does that apply to video games, corporate sponsored virtual obstacle courses that are designed and pumped with money for the sole purpose of eventually producing more money?
>>
the reason why art is art is becuase it doesnt set out to be

you can make a pretty sculpture because it is seeking to take the form of what the artist envisioned. or you can paint an abstract cubist mess and have it depict the thoughts and emotions of the artist.

a video game cant be art if it sets out to be art, thats like saying you're going to make a statue of a statue
>>
>>340019574
Look at freeware games or even indie games, you won't find much "art" worthy games if you are looking at releases by big companies, also, what you said could also be applied to the music industry and cinema, both have a group that is in it to make big money while having smaller names doing it out of love.
>>
Sure they're art but they're not high art
>>
>>340019306
>>340019574
Games are made up of graphics, music, stories, all which are considered art.

How can they not be art? Art + art + art = art, logically.
>>
File: 6065739.jpg (25 KB, 300x245) Image search: [Google]
6065739.jpg
25 KB, 300x245
>>340019306
They are but they'll never match up to literature, cinema, or music. The medium just doesn't lend itself that well to telling stories. It also has a lot of obstacles to overcome and needs to be put to the test before it can be readily accepted.
>>
Are you gay?

The answer may surprise you
>>
File: 20030312-2.gif (40 KB, 468x533) Image search: [Google]
20030312-2.gif
40 KB, 468x533
>>340019306
Nothing is art anymore.
>>
Only Tetris and Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>340020518

Tetris is the original shovelware cash-grab mobile game.

Search your heart, you know it to be true.
>>
Undertale is the only game that defines art
>>
>>340019306
I don't give a shit if they really are or not. I only push for it so they will be protected by the first amendment.
>>
>>340020013
>The medium just doesn't lend itself that well to telling stories.
Of course it does. But video games can't keep trying to produce their stories in the same way as films or literature. Hell, there are even books which can't be translated into movies because the writing inherently depends on the wordplay and lack of visual aid to take advantage of the paths of reading. The Discworld series comes to mind as a big example.

Game devs ought to take advantage of the aspect of interactive storytelling, as that is something almost wholly unique to video games as an entertainment medium. You can't take a game like Papers, Please and make a movie about it, because the primary driving force behind that game lies in who you choose to admit or reject.
>>
>>340019574
Same as the many corporate sponsored photos, songs, movies, books, and paintings that are designed and pumped with money for the sole purpose of eventually producing more money?

>>340020013
>they'll never match up to literature, cinema, or music
The same was said about literature and cinema especially. When novels were becoming a thing as opposed to prose and minstrel tellings, the elite were the only ones who could afford (monetarily or time-wise) to read fiction, and most found it to be a waste of time. Why sit around reading about bullshit some nobody made up? it took a while for the Church and folks like Chaucer and old Willie Shakespeare to change their minds.
>>
>>340019574
>money involved means it can't be art!

'sup liberal. Must suck living in a capitalist nation where art is outlawed, huh

Moron
>>
File: dexter shrug.gif (978 KB, 245x234) Image search: [Google]
dexter shrug.gif
978 KB, 245x234
Don't see how they're any less an art form than the current state of the music and movie industries.
>>
File: 1286685556378.gif (2 MB, 193x135) Image search: [Google]
1286685556378.gif
2 MB, 193x135
>>340020013
>>340019574
>cinema
>music
>"literature"
>not corporate owned, marketed, and sponsored with the express intent of making loads of money
I hope you people are joking and I'm just being rused.
>>
File: PS:T_Cover.jpg (41 KB, 404x502) Image search: [Google]
PS:T_Cover.jpg
41 KB, 404x502
>>340019306
>Are video games art?
They can be.

The best examples are games which give the player's decisions consequences. Through involving the audience in the story they can handle themes of choice and self better than any other medium.
>>
High art, low art, this art, that art, art that tells a story, art that can be reviewed, Art with a capital A, Art for money, Art for the soul, expression, no expression, etc, etc.

This is such a fucking pointless argument at this stage of the game. Does it even fucking matter anymore? What if the word art didn't existed? What if movies were movies or paintings were paintings. Video games are simply video game. They are images. They tell stories. They are competitive. They are games. They have music. That is what they are. Is that art? Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. It only matters to you really. As for a general consensus, that will have to wait, or people may disagree forever.

Art is one of those words that really has no meaning. It has a definition that any asshole can look up on Google sure, but the definition that is the point of argument here only matters to you. Fuck everybody else.
>>
>>340021540

>says video games can be art
>posts a book
>>
Why do we keep having this thread

Anything can be art. If you put it on display in a gallery it's art.

Read up on post-modern art, pop art, dada and shit like that.
>>
>>340022186
If you remove an object from it's regular every day context and put it on display alongside other 'art' you force it to be considered in a different context

Some artist recently dragged a sack of money around a gallery and tons of people wanted to chat with him and take pics with the money etc.
It was a art project.

People have put random shit on display in galleries for decades. Chairs, toilets, spoons. whatever the fuck.

Video Games are the same way. If you hooked up a NES running SMB3 in a gallery or something it would take on a completely different meaning.
>>
>>340021945
>describe the exact manner through which Torment executes its story better as a video game than as a book
>still get memed
Never change, /v/.
>>
>>340021776
This
>>
>>340022708
Choose your own adventure books were around decades before Planescape and were way more hardcore too cause there ain't any quicksaves to abuse when you make a decision you later regret.
>>
>>340021776
This anon speaks the truth.
>>
>>340023316
>way more hardcore too cause there ain't any quicksaves to abuse when you make a decision you later regret.

nigga just flip the pages
>>
>>340023592
You're a cheating fuck if you do that. Kill yourself you hold your thumb on the previous page while turning to the next with your index finger and then pretending you never saw the bad thing happened faggot.
>>
File: this-post-is-art.jpg (260 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
this-post-is-art.jpg
260 KB, 2000x1500
>>340019306
>>340019408
>>
>>340019306
I don't remember the order, but given his expression is Pit supposed to be Paul there? Why?
>>
>>340023439
Thanks, but I made a grammatical error or two, and I am cringing over it.
>>
File: 1444225698505.jpg (201 KB, 470x595) Image search: [Google]
1444225698505.jpg
201 KB, 470x595
>>340023676
>always did this everytime im reading goosebumps
>>
File: 1434121341241143.jpg (72 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
1434121341241143.jpg
72 KB, 500x572
>>340019306
they may not be art but they can definitely cause a creative spark in someone to create art based on a video game.
>>
>>340019306
I'm not a religious buff but this implies Samus and link betray Mario right?

In a way both link and Samus have gotten left behind
>both have released mediorce games lately
>no clear direction in which franchise is going
>main series left behind almost forgotten
While Mario as a franchise
>always forced down the consumer's throat one way or another
>titles every year of the year
I know Mario is the flagship franchise but still

To answer op
They can be
I believe art was meant to give the viewer/player/etc emotions which is vague I know but essentially art is meant to literally give you a emotion whether it is good because the game is good , bad because it is bad , angry because of a character or the game is shit

It can be art at least I see that way
Art can be found in pratically everything from nature to sports so video games shouldn't be excluded like movies and television was at one point
>>
>>340024573
When I played Jesus in a Last Supper skit at my church, Judas was seated on my right, where DK is sitting in that edit, I think.

So I don't think its meant to imply Samus and Link betray Mario.
>>
>>340025269
There's a really easy way to remember who Judas is in The Last Supper.
He's the only one with his elbow on the table. You're not supposed to put your elbows on the table when you're eating, so he was probably shown being disrespectful because he was the betrayer.
>>
Yes, of course videogames are art.
"Art" is a stupidly broad, abstract label, I don't see what's supposed to be complicated about this.
That's like asking "Is water really 'matter'???" as if matter was some mythical standard to be earned instead of a fucking state of existence.
>>
>>340019306
Video games are a creative activity >>340019408
and are thus art.
Even if they are derivative or use existing art, they are still art.
>>
>>340025857
You have people question it here a lot because this board is full of morons who think that considering video games art will magically change the industry into nothing but Gone Home clones.
>>
>>340025962
Yeah, those guys are idiotic.
They don't realize there can be good artistic games, like Braid and Child of Eden.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.