[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The 1.4 patch dropped the other day, and the 1.5 patch is coming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
The 1.4 patch dropped the other day, and the 1.5 patch is coming later this week. Better performance, fewer game breaking bugs. Now they just need to add a survival mode. Imagine if you had to buy and scavenge filters for your gas mask. Imagine if every bullet counted. Imagine if you had a single motorbike and you had to manually fill the tires with air. Imagine if the weapon mod system allowed you to convert a stick and a can of baked beans into a AR15.
>>
and what is this?
>>
>>340011009
>and what is this?
Homefront: The Revolution.
>>
>>340011150
oh, game's dead.
>>
>>340011214
How is it dead?
>>
File: 1465026608815.png (595 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1465026608815.png
595 KB, 800x600
>>340011214
>tfw the only reason to buy it is so I can play the first two levels of Timesplitters 2 on PC without having to use a PS2 or GC emulator.
>>
>>340010305
should have cancelled the sequel and just moved on.
>>
>>340011540
It's not really a sequel. It's a reboot. And what would they move onto? They've spent the last few years making games where you fight Koreans.
>>
>>340011350
really?
>>
>Reminder that this game has the best graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yCCyhZeMGk
>>
>>340011670

Yes, but only because I don't have any interest in Homefront and I really desperately want to play Timesplitters 2 again. I would pay full price if they just ported the entire game as well as they did those 2 levels (and added online multiplayer).
>>
>Person raving that the game still runs like shit after the 1.4 patch.
>Okay, friend, what are your specs.
>An i7 and a 980.
>Okay, so what are your settings.
>Very High.
>You can't run on very high. It's too demanding.
>I shouldn't have to turn down settings to play this game.
>It's a Crytek game. Of course you have to turn down settings.
>Don't make excuses for the shit lazy devs.
>Very High is not designed for hardware that exists in 2016.
>Shill! Shill!
RIP, Crytek.
>>
>>340011998

Does the game really look that good to warrant that a 980 and i7 can't get 60FPS at 1080p and max settings?
>>
>>340011941
>I would pay full price if they just ported the entire game as well as they did those 2 levels (and added online multiplayer).
The legalities are complicated. Dambuster don't own the TimeSplitters IP anymore, to my knowledge. However, when Deep Silver purchased Homefront, they purchased all assets within the game, and this included the TimeSplitters 2 port. Said port is a port of the original game code hooked into CryEngine's input and sound systems. The audio mix is kind of shitty, and the aiming is too laggy, but it's all round pretty decent. After you finish the game, you can access TS2 anytime from the main menu's Extras menu.
>>
>>340011941
Yeah I really fucking wish they just make a time splitters collection already. They have enough fans to make some decent profit off of it.
>>
the idea of norks invading the united states is so stupid and to make it possible the story has to be so idioticly contrived that i immediately didnt want to purchase this game

so i didnt
and i dodged a bullet
its awful
>>
>>340012137
>Does the game really look that good to warrant that a 980 and i7 can't get 60FPS at 1080p and max settings?
Yes. It's basically the best looking open world game ever. (Not counting car games.) I think it might be doing realtime GI, among other things. The highest settings are extremely demanding because the lighting and shading gets cranked up to 11. This is in some ways the new Crysis, but in 2016, people tend to be offended by extremely demanding games rather than pleased.
>>
>>340011998
>Very High is not designed for hardware that exists in 2016.

I'm sorry but you're a goddamn retard. I was slightly with you till that point.
>>
>>340012262
>the idea of norks invading the united states is so stupid and to make it possible the story has to be so idioticly contrived
The alternate history backstory is fairly straightforward. Korea invents all the good tech and weapons. North and South Korea make nice. America invents shit. America falls into economic ruin. Korea arrives to bring peace and prosperity. There's a huge Native American displacement analogy going on in the background.
>its awful
It's great. Has some rough edges, and the console versions are bad, per usual, but it's great.
>>
>>340012414
Far Cry's Ultra setting was unplayable on 2004 hardware.
Crysis' Ultra setting was unplayable on 2007 hardware.
Crysis 2's Ultra setting was unplayable on 2011 hardware.
Crysis 3's Ultra setting ran badly on 2013 hardware.
Homefront's Very High, which is its maximum setting, barely holds 60fps on the best hardware money can buy.
>>
>>340011698
>night is still bright as fuck
>so much bloom
>meme resolution
Yeah, no.
It's nice, sure. Doesn't compare to real pc games tho.
:^)
>>
>>340012605
Homefront: The Revolution is blatantly a PC game with console ports, just like every other Crytek game with the possible exception of Ryse, which looked way better on PC so it probably counts.
>>
>>340012330
Yea no, this game doesn't stomp every other game currently out into the dust like Crysis did.
The only really impressive thing about it is way water dries up over time.
Otherwise, it's not as impressive as something like Paragon.
>>
>>340012719
>The only really impressive thing about it is way water dries up over time.
The rain wets the ground in individual drops which merge into a wet surface. That's way more impressive than drying puddles. Also, it has day/night cycles and dynamic weather. Very games have that.
>>
>>340012189
Go through the effort of porting TS2 into Homefront 2
> before the "real" game you're trying to sell is even finished
Priorities.

This is why Homefront: The Revolution development was so fucked, and why the game ultimately sucked.
>>
>>340012703
>Crytek makes pc games then ports them
Hahhahahahahaha
Also,
>The game was BLATANTLY made to be played using a pad.
???
>>
>>340012917
>Also, it has day/night cycles and dynamic weather.
Just like most modern open world games.
>>
>>340012719
>Otherwise, it's not as impressive as something like Paragon.
I thought Paragon was one of those Unreal 4 games with prebaked everything because Unreal 4 sucks at realtime anything.
>>
>>340013010
>Just like most modern open world games.
You'd be surprised. Far Cry 4 didn't have dynamic weather. Far Cry Primal has no dynamic weather. Watch_Dogs had no day night cycles, nor did AC: Unity. Mirror's Edge 2 doesn't have dynamic weather, likely because Frostbite relies on prebaked lighting and faking a 24 hour cycle is way easier than faking one where the weather can change.
>>
For a game that everyone hates for whatever reason, it sure looks fucking gorgeous. Why is it getting such bad reviews?
>>
>>340013003
>>Crytek makes pc games then ports them
It's the truth. Crysis 1-3 were all natively PC games. Only misguided idiots believe otherwise.

Homefront has no PC port team credited, and there's nothing to suggest it isn't a native PC game. You navigate the mobile phone using your mouse, for example. Most games would force you to use arrow keys or something, GTA V-style. What makes you think the game was designed to use a D-pad? The controls are clearly oriented around a keyboard. You want your mobile phone camera? You press B, the button Crytek games have used for binoculars since 2004. On consoles you had to open up your mobile phone and select the camera.
>>
>>340013561
>Crysis 2/3
>Native PC games
Yea, no.
>>
>>340013558
>Why is it getting such bad reviews?
A variety of factors.

Console versions run like shit. And their patches take longer to release due to certification.

PC version launched rough, but is rapidly improving with patches. Some idiots ran around bleating that the game was a "shit PC port" and that reputation has unfortunately stuck a bit.

The game is a smidge "me too". There's nothing "bad" per se with its design, but people hate a lack of innovation unless they're playing Doom.

Back in the old days, people were more forgiving of game breaking bugs in open world FPS games.

Also, some people just wanna hate the game. Some people have hated every Crytek game since Crysis 2, and there's no reasoning with them. They resent the bleak, desaturated art styles and general themes.

I dunno. A lot of the hate is really baffling, and sometimes borders on hypocritical bullshit. Jim Sterling gave it a 1\10, and when someone pointed out that half his criticisms also applied to Fallout 4, which he gave a glowing review, Sterling spazzed out like a fuckwit and insulted the guy.

Hopefully the game manages to hook people when the Steam Summer Sale comes around. They should hopefully have patch 1.5 released by then which will fix a few serious bugs that weren't fixed in time for 1.4
>>
>>340013834
Crysis 3 is a native PC game. We know this because Crytek went into detail on how they ported the games to consoles. All the assets had to be carefully tweaked and compressed to get them running on 360\PS3. A lot of visual effects are missing on consoles.

Bearing in mind that CryEngine is technically platform-agnostic, do you have a single shred of evidence that Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 weren't natively PC games? And no, control changes and urban level designs don't count.
>>
>>340010305
I haven't played the game, but any chance of survival adding a sleep/drink/eat system, too? These games always work better, imo, when there's reasons for forming routines and, better yet, reasons to break them.
>>
>>340014001
The times have changed. Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl launched with game breaking bugs, stability issues, and it ran like a dog thanks to being single threaded. It got glowing reviews because reviewers focused on the game beneath the bugs.

Crysis couldn't hold 60fps on 2007 and still struggles to hold 60fps due to some sloppy coding in places. It got glowing reviews and is still held up as an example of how a PC game should be made.

But nowdays, unless you're Ubisoft or Bethesda, releasing an open world game with game breaking bugs or issues in general is going to make people very angry at you. There's a clear difference between the handful of reviewers who looked at this game and pointed out the things it does well, and the ones who saw it as an opportunity to scream WORST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED while also trying to milk the "lazy devs" meme.
>>
>>340014246
>I haven't played the game, but any chance of survival adding a sleep/drink/eat system, too?
I would actually like that very much. And technically, it could be added by modders. (The decryption key for the .pak files is known, for example.) There is a risk of VAC bans, though.

They do have a year of singleplayer DLC planned. There is arguably a framework around which survival stuff could be added. For example, in one zone, there is poisonous gas so you have to wear a gas mask which you can remove. Very Metro-esque. But there is no filter changing.

Also, you can sleep in some beds, but it does nothing.

If Fallout 4 can add survival mode, I'd like to think Homefront could. The hardest difficulty is pretty hard, but it would be cool if it had more bite. This is a game where your mobile phone displays the current temperature. Where your clothes get wet in the rain. Imagine if your character got vulnerable if you went out in the rain and it was also cold.
>>
>>340014793
Getting into idea-guy territory here, but it would be really cool to see something like disease affect game/gunplay. Say you had a cold that made you cough or, god forbid, sneeze at inopportune times. If you got too cold, you'd start shivering - reducing your weapon stability. Get too hot and you can't sprint as far, sweat obscures your vision, and you risk heat stroke. It'd make for some really compelling, emergent gameplay scenarios if it was properly balanced and didn't become an absolute clusterfuck of tedious mechanics like DayZ.
>>
>>340011150
Into the trash
>>
>>340015301
>Into the best looking trash bin in videogames with subtle reflections on the metal. Plus the bin liner flutters gently whenever there is a wind. And when it rains, the bottom of the bin fills with water.
>>
With each new patch, the people who hate the game are rapidly running out of reasons to call the game "broken" and "shit". Eventually they'll resort to stuff like "The graphics are awful because I don't like the art design."
>>
>>340015754
>Those models
Jesus that's ugly.
>>
>>340016308
What's ugly about them? They look like human beings.
>>
>OMG why won't developers make games that can really push my PC to its limits?
>Homefront: The Revolution runs like shit on console and taxes the best PCs.
>OMG why won't developers make games that can really push my PC to its limits?
*crickets*
>>
>>340016308
i'd fuck that philly black dead chic in a heartbeat. I'd fuck her more if she's alive, too bad she ded at the beginning.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.