[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In some contexts, can cosmetics be considered pay2win? For example,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: skin3.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
skin3.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
In some contexts, can cosmetics be considered pay2win?

For example, if your character is bright red and instantly catches the attention of everyone, a different color skin would give you a different gameplay experience

To give another example, some people can be intimated by someone having a $2000 skin, i've met a few people who had panic attacks and their hands got numb whenever saw someone using a very expensive TF2 hat or CSGO skin, which obviously influences their ability to play
>>
Maybe the people you met were retarded.
Maybe you are a retard too.
Retards tend to group up in one place.
>>
No, since any multiplayer "game" that doesn't have brightskins cannot even be considered a real game.
>>
>>339979340
It can't be helped.

Also truly good players don't need silly hats or neon bikini armors to look intimidating.
>>
>>339979340
>To give another example, some people can be intimated by someone having a $2000 skin, i've met a few people who had panic attacks and their hands got numb whenever saw someone using a very expensive TF2 hat or CSGO skin, which obviously influences their ability to play
Sounds you play with a bunch of pussies and retards
>>
>>339979340
In some contexts, yes.
In Gears of War 3, it was Pay2Lose because normal gear was all the same, and you could pay for bright, animated, neon guns that made you stand out.

In Overwatch, enemies are outlined in red, regardless of if you've seen them or not with your naked eye, so it highlights everyone the same way.
>>
I have an AWP Dragon Lore worth about 1800$ in Counterstrike and it is a game play disadvantage.

Poor people on your team are so distracted by the skin that they actively sabotage your chances of winning.

Occasionally it will also distract the enemy, but probably a negative all together.
>>
>>339979340
I mean, attire and colors and how someone is dressed has always influenced people in how they react. So yes, it can be to a degree. It's a bit of a mental game. Someone with better skins usually means they've put more time into the game, but it doesn't automatically make them better.

In Dirty Bomb for instance, there are free mercs you can play the start. Every time I play the default skin for the starter character, people underestimate me, or treat me as less of a threat. But whenever I use the highest tier skin, people pick me out a lot more. Not only do I stand out, but they recognize me as the higher level player quicker and focus on me more knowing I'm more of a threat. Not to mention I stand out more with brighter camo patterns. This also means some people get intimidated by me and play worse. That game isn't really pay2 win beyond the first 10 or so hours.

Basically yes, it can be pay2win to a degree, but it's a small degree that doesn't matter.
>>
>>339979340
There should be an option in all f2p games that let's you disable cosmetics.
>>
I've legitimately been confused by costumes in Overwatch already, like mistaken characters for another one because of their costume. There's one in particular that's really bad but I can't remember what it was.
>>
>>339979340
Skins should stick to the color scheme of the character.
>>
>>339979340
Literally everything has an effect on everything. If you eat food off of a red placemat it will taste better. Take a psychology class. If you want to find the effect of a certain stimulus then I sugest you set up a controlled experiment.
>>
>>339979340

>people who had panic attacks

Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>339979340
>i've met a few people who had panic attacks and their hands got numb whenever saw someone using a very expensive TF2 hat or CSGO skin, which obviously influences their ability to play
this is the Valve audience
>>
Cosmetics are great because it shows you who the people are that are retarded enough to pay for more content on a $60 game.

Seriously. If you ever see anyone with DLC cosmetics or paid content avoid them like the fucking plague. In any game.
>>
>>339979340
The only time cosmetics really matter is when they affect gameplay, like by changing hit boxes.

I guess if people are colourblind then it can be kinda shitty. It'd be good if there was a way to disable cosmetics, so you only see the base skins, in a lotta games anyway.
>>
File: 1446766372461.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446766372461.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>339980174
Other way around, pretend to be a grill and leech them off for free games
>>
the only case a skin can be considered "P2W" is Hanzo's wolf skins. They straight change his ulti line into something completely different and catches me off guard many times
>>
>>339979340

Out of all the games that could possibly have this problem, overwatch would not be one of them because of ez mode highlighted borders and names on your enemies.
>>
>>339979340
>if your character is bright red and instantly catches the attention of everyone, a different color skin would give you a different gameplay experience
Every enemy in Overwatch has a glowing red highlight, so it wouldn't matter if they were wearing drag colors. Not to mention "camo" doesn't make too much of a different in city and urban areas, especially at the close ranges in overwatch.

>some people can be intimated by someone having a $2000 skin
Dumbest shit I have ever heard. No one is intimated by someone having a rare skin
>>
>>339980174
Same goes for real life. Any time I see someone wearing any clothes with more colour than a white t-shirt and jeans, I know they're any idiot. Who'd pay for what is essentially IRL DLC xDDD
>>
>>339980738
>Dumbest shit I have ever heard. No one is intimated by someone having a rare skin
I always switch characters if I lose a mirror duel to someone with a skin
>>
I think that the red winston costume can sometimes make him seem like he is in Ulti when he isnt
>>
>>339980910
My cargo trousers with camo design cost less than the standard jeans do though. Though that's probably because I just buy work clothes all the time.
>>
>>339980914
Jesus, anon. Stop being such a coward. You need to start working on that.
>>
>>339981345
I-I can't help it. I also tilt if I get charged by a reinhardt as reinhardt :(
>>
>>339979340
I wish outfits gave bonus passives and shit to characters. Would provide something of an incentive to unlock them. Like a character can have more health but less range on their primary weapon. Or be able to jump/move faster. Look shit like that. I wish the colors/reskins and the legendaries offered some form of variation.
>>
>>339979960
Yes and no, those games live from selling cosmetics so that wouldn't work.
>>
>>339980335
jesus fucking christ how pathetic do you have to be?
>>
>>339979340
>some people can be intimated by someone having a $2000 skin, i've met a few people who had panic attacks and their hands got numb whenever saw someone using a very expensive TF2 hat or CSGO skin, which obviously influences their ability to play

Maybe you, and the people you meet shouldent me intimidated by people who waste money on cosmetics
>>
>>339981493
Fuck that. Shit like that is why I stopped playing TF2 when they brought in all the unlockables
>>
>>339981493
>Sporty Tracer: Can Double Jump, 50 less max hp
>>
>>339981464
Sounds like you just need to stick with being the heal slut. I bet you could really take down a good sized cock if you really tried.
>>
>>339981650
b-but I play tank
I just need a dom healer to keep my head straight
>>
>>339981571
It's a fetish for them. Sort of like a dom who punishes, it's a dom who takes their money. Fucking retarded.
>>
>>339980058
Probably the Zarya skin that makes her look like Mei.
It's made worse by the fact that they both have short range spray weapons and similar sizes, and since Zarya doesn't have any flashy telltale abilities beyond her ult, it can get confusing if she flanks you.

Luckily, ignoring her and staying just out of range is one of the best ways to deal with both Zarya and Mei, so there's that.
>>
>>339979340
that is one creepy skin
>>
>>339981903
Not really if you think about it. People spend a lot of money on their hobbies to keep themselves entertained. If they find enjoyment from being bullied into gifting people games, it's no different than spending your disposable income on things like food or gambling or other fleeting things.
It looks strange and wasteful at a glance, but the logic behind it is pretty sound once you get down to it. Sure they'd be better off buying something that gives more lasting enjoyment, but what if they don't want that?
>>
>>339981646
I'd like shit like that. Or a Pharah skin that makes her take 30% less damage while airborne.

>>339981608
Never got into TD2 when it was in it's prime so I honestly wouldn't know the detriments of implementing a system that provides little passives/additions to character performance.
>>
>>339981646
>Gambler McCree: Fan the Hammer damage increased to 630
>bullet spread drastically increased
>>
File: 502.jpg (44 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
502.jpg
44 KB, 569x802
>>339982117
>Mistake zarya the fucking huge tank weapon carrier for mei
>>
>>339980058
Probably Widowmaker's shitty bird skin. Or gay ballerina. I have no idea what the fuck that stupid skin is supposed to be.
>>
>>339980058

Reaper and Soldier 76's alts get me confused at times.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.