[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did the Arkham series do right, and what did it do wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
What did the Arkham series do right, and what did it do wrong /v/?

>Hard mode: Not the combat system
>>
>>339954090

Athomosphere
>>
Paul Dini and the many references to the comics/cartoons I felt was the high point of the game. Oh and it looks pretty good for licensed games to top it off.
>>
Cinematic shit for sperger nerds
>>
>>339954090
>What they did right
"I am vengeance. I am the night. I AM BATMAN!"
Literally just beat the entire story mode yesterday. Only thing left is finding those fucking Trophies. Then I gotta buy the DLC
>>
>>339954090
Honestly, this series is only praised because it's fucking awesome for a licensed series. There's literally no competition in terms of vidya. It also helps that TDK trilogy was also pretty good.

Outside of that, they're just average games aimed at Batman fans with all the details.
>>
What it did right: the stealth sections. You're Batman. You should be overpowered. But you should die if you fuck up.

What it did wrong: trying to tell a "story" through "muh cinematic experiences". We don't need an hour (or several hours as per AK) of bullshit filler story.
We're Batman. Joker/Two-Face/Croc/whatever is lose. They've done X thing. Give us some interaction and let us stop them.
Not "OMG BAD MEMORIES! OMG MOM DAD! OMG BOO HOO PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES"

AK with Babs being killed? Yes, that was good. Spending two fucking hours having to listen to Batman and Joker having a faggot fuck fest romance? That was retarded.
>>
>>339954090
>Right
Batman mythos and characters are realised pretty well. Soundtrack.
>Wrong
Combat, stealth. The fucking final boss to Asylum, City's completely unfocused plot, Knight's copy paste Red Hood shit.
>>
>>339954090

>right

You actually feel like Batman, going around and being an invincible immortal badass that terrorizes thugs

>wrong

You never do any real detective shit - it's all x-ray vision and computer assisted stuff.
>>
>>339954793
>OMG BAD MEMORIES! OMG MOM DAD! OMG BOO HOO PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUES

Except the "psychological issues" are the fucking cornerstone of DC comics' philosophy, and an absolutely vital part in an authentic adaptation of the Batman franchise which almost all other previous attempts have failed to acknowledge.

The story and characters got worse with each game iteration, but when Arkham Asylum first came out, it was obvious that the creators really made this as a love-letter to the comic books, and it was closer to comic batman than anyone else has ever achieved.
>>
This game felt being batman, it was a clear labour of love that way. I can't comment anything but Markham Asylum unfortunately, but I play it again every couple years when it gets rainy
>>
>>339954090
I love the character designs
>>
>>339955618
AA was terrible.
It was good since it was "new".
In fact, you could argue the entire series destroyed the idea of Batman.
Batman doesn't do all this shit in one night - look at fucking Knightfall when a bunch of rogues escape. He needed help, he took weeks to do this shit.

All the series is good for is that it's a "fun" game that's Batman themed. It's about as far from the comics as anything else. The problem is tha a bunch of tards think it's related to the comics.
>>
File: Johnny Cage Like Your Style.png (336 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
Johnny Cage Like Your Style.png
336 KB, 500x438
Great series to be honest. When the worst game of the four is just a solid 7/10, then you've got a strong series there.

Best thing about them in my opinion is the character design. It all fit perfectly with the setting and style and each character's design felt like the best out of any.
>>
>>339954208
this tbhfam
Especially in knight. Gotham city was sparse I suppose, but man did they nail that aesthetic.
>>
>>339955925
>careful with that edge bro

You are a terrible batman fan.

You do not understand what it is that makes batman so much better than other capeshit
>>
>>339957060
I've probably read more Batman stuff than 90% of fans. Just because I'm aware of what makes a good Batman game and what makes Batman be Batman doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

There is zero reason to have a fucking videogame plot take up 1/3rd or more of it with bullshit psychological issues.
Arkham City was just a massive fuck up of "get as many rogues into the game as possible lol". Knight would have been good apart from the fact it tried to be a fucking psychological thriller.
>>
>>339954791
Nah m8, the stealth/beat-em-up hybrid structure is a pretty inventive idea that few if any games at the time Arkham Asylum came out really experimented with (with any success, anyway). It's funny playing MGR and seeing how this series that prided itself in being an action-stealth hybrid from inception ended up taking cues from a friggin Batman game.
>>
It does the batman universe really well, featuring a shitload of different villains and plenty of cameos from even minor characters. The predator sections of the game are legit fun, even if they're easy.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.