[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do linear games still exist? They are SHIT. Especially linear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: the-last-of-us.jpg (83 KB, 510x330) Image search: [Google]
the-last-of-us.jpg
83 KB, 510x330
Why do linear games still exist? They are SHIT. Especially linear ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAMES. How the fuck can a zombie survival be anything other than open world? Who are these blathering retards who make this shit?
>>
Both the open world and zombie meme needs to die.
>>
File: joel.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
joel.png
1 MB, 1280x720
I think there's some kind of issue with your post. You said linear games are shit, but this is clearly not the case. You also seemed to imply The Last of Us is a zombie survival game, but it's a character drama.
>>
linear is the best way to tell a story. having side quest and the freedom to do whatever you want hinders the story that is being told and a lot of times causes you to lose focus on said story.
>>
>>339930261
>I want to be constrained to repetitive gameplay
>I dislike exploring and decision making
Ok familia
>>
>>339930418
>decision making

literally the cancer that's killing vidya
>>
Linear games might as well just be animated movies.

Why aren't there people making TLOU type animated shows?
>>
>>339930261
Yeah who wants to play the video game and have fun when you could be watching cutscenes and mindlessly progressing from point A to point B.

Protip: one of the best story-driven games in the past decade (Nier) was open world
>>
>You now realise that 99.9% of videogames are in fact linear
>>
>>339931845
>Nier
>Open world
lol????

My protip to you: Nier is linear. No, the fact that you have one point where you can choose which you want to do first doesn't make it non-linear.
>>
>>339931556
Same with books, why bother making people read that shit when you could just show them on a screen or make them into comics?
>>
>>339930418
>only one video game can exist
k
>>
File: GJMBGva.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GJMBGva.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>339930418

The problem is that Developers don't fucking care about decision making and open worlds, even when they tout their game as having those features.

I'd rather take a well made linear game with great characterization and plot over a game with an illusion of choice.
>>
>>339932994
It's also hard to make decision making into something meaningful.
>>
>>339930418
You have 16 seconds to explain how linear means repetitive
>>
>>339929865
because people buy them
>>
File: genres.png (1 MB, 1491x1247) Image search: [Google]
genres.png
1 MB, 1491x1247
>>339929865
Zombies sell
>>
>>339929865
Why do we have threads involving this game 3 times a day?
>>
Open world zombie games are boring as hell.
>>
>>339930418
You are fucking retarded. Not all games must be for everyone in the sense of doing the exact same thing.

If shit was you way every game would be Ass creed with a new coat of paint. That is bullshit and retarded.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.