[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make games be fun again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1432927671934.png (39 KB, 310x208) Image search: [Google]
1432927671934.png
39 KB, 310x208
How to make games be fun again?
>>
haven't played a game for over a year.....am reduced to watching twitch once a week...
>>
>>339923837
With this
>>
>>339924237
>...
>....
Feel free to stop posting anytime there, friend.
>>
>>339924530
that would be great to use to go back in time where my mom doesn't have lethal cancer
>>
>>339923837
Avoid hype
Avoid Spoilers
Dedicate free time
Try new genres

The main problem is that you have gained too much life experience. The stories in videogames no longer grab you as you have seen/read much better ones in movies/books over the years. Game mechanics, characters, visual styles, music, etc. you have gained experiences that you can't help comparing to the games you play which leaves you to ask the eternal question "why can't this be better?"
The only way to get back the sense of wonderment and adventure that you had when you were younger is to step outside your comfortable experiences and try new shit.

It is also best to try new shit with a clean slate so hype and spoilers should be avoided at all costs.
>>
>>339923837
Same thing happened to me around 2 years ago. Take a break, give yourself 3-4 months away from anything vidya related
>>
>>339925494
>try new ***
kid, i've already tried everything.
>>
>>339923837
You're a normie now. The only cure is assimilation or suicide.
>>
>>339923837
kill yourself
>>
>>339925591
if thats what you think then I guess the only solution is to kill yourself.
>>
idk

I had to first get away from wow. Then I had to get away from team games like dota/cs:go. Then I had to break away from the other pleasure response milkers like diablo 3. These were always my goto games to mindlessly waste time. Getting off those games probably helped get my dopamine back at normal levels.

That was when I realized that I had active characters in like a dozen different MMOs for some fucking reason, so I finally accepted that I couldn't play them all. Started enjoying single player games and only one at a time. I don't force myself to play anything if I'm not having fun, even if I spent $5 or $60 on it. If it's not fun I put it away.

I work out every day now and I write down my progress. Writing it down seems to keep me motivated, even if I can keep mental track, there's something about writing it down. I try to stay productive and proactive. So when I sit down for vidya time, I make it count instead of just staring at a massive steam log of games I wish I didn't buy. Again that's a big step.. don't worry about justifying some purchase. Learn from your mistake and move on. Play games that truly captivate you. If it feels formulaic, no challenge, a chore, or whatever, drop it.

Sometimes I just take a month or two and leave my computer off the entire time. That's something I've been doing the past year and it's done a lot of good for me.
>>
>>339923837
you're getting old
do you have an old game that you can always go back to and have a fun time?
if the answer is no then you should probably look for a new hobby since the magic is pretty much lost on you
>>
My problem is justifying the time to play. I'll start a game but then I start feeling like a could be doing something more productive with my time and that distraction hinders my experience. Unfortunately I just end up wasting most of my time online as I can mostly do that on autopilot and before I know it my whole day has gone by.
>>
>>339923837
you grew up, find a new hobby.
>>
>>339923837
get another hobby along side video game.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.