[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this thing not backwards compatible? What can Sony possibly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
Why is this thing not backwards compatible?

What can Sony possibly gain by not letting you play old games that they don't even sell anymore?
>>
Because it uses different architecture. And because they want to sell you 'remasters'.
>>
>>339889398
Because they know you own a PlayStation 3 already
>>
>>339889598
Explain architecture to me, because I can emulate pretty much any game without issue.
>>
>>339889398
Setting the rendering resolution and graphics options of PS3 games a notch higher, then selling it as "remastered edition" is the best way for them to make money, it's not like the PS4 owners have any other games to buy anyways.
>>
>What can Sony possibly gain by not letting you play old games

I dunno. How about lots of fucking money!
>>
>>339889719
> because I can emulate pretty much any game without issue

Please post a picture of drakengard 3 in 60 fps
>>
>>339889719
>I can emulate pretty much any game without issue.
You can't.
>>
>>339889989
How? 99 percent of old PlayStation games will never be re released or remastered. Sony will just sit on the licenses and do nothing with them.
>>
>>339889719
The ps3's cpu wasnt techincally a cpu it was a server grade co-processor, i bet its more powerful than whatever this people is using or equal, but, to emulate a console you have to use hardware that is A LOT MORE powerful than it.
>>
>>339889398
Because POWERPC CPUs and Nvidia cards are easier to emulate than Cell and specialized GPUs.
>>
>>339890093
What a stale bait. Your thread is shit, op.
>>
>>339889398
Because
>for the players
>>
>>339889398
Almost everyone hated the Cell architecture, so they decided to switch to x86-64.

Also
>>339889598
>>339889813

But of course, it's okay when Microsoft and Nintendo do it. But then again, Sony went full Jew this gen. I bet Microsoft will make online multiplayer on Xbox Live free while Sony starts region-locking and censoring their games. I'll probably completely give up hope on Sony at that point.
>>
>>339890093
>Emulate ps3 games

show me a working emulator that is compatible with 90% of the ps3 library faggot
>>
File: 1464210599038.jpg (173 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1464210599038.jpg
173 KB, 920x900
better graphics, cant emulate, I don't understand, japanese too lazy after selling 20 million more ps4's
>>
>>339889719
The Cell architecture the PS3 used was a fucking nightmare to even program for natively. Emulation of it is damn near impossible right now.

There's no reason it shouldn't be able to play PS1 and PS2 games though, you'd have a point there.
>>
>>339889398
It would cost more $$$ and they're already ahead of the competition. Maybe if Xbone had launched with backwards compatibility.

>>339889719
>I can emulate pretty much any game without issue.

haha why even lie about this? PS2 Emulation still isn't perfect. You're saying you emulate PS3 games? plz. Maybe emulate in the sense that you launch an emulator and you can get past the start screen. There is no PS3 emulator that has games in a state you would want to play.
>>
Why didn't they just make a version with a PS3 processor in it so that they don't need to emulate its architecture? Isn't that how most consoles handled backwards compatibility anyways? iirc the Nintendo DS had a GBA processor and the original PS3 had a PS2 processor.

It doesn't even have to be in the base model, they could just make a $50-$100 more expensive PS4 for people that want backwards compatibility while having the base model to maintain a price advantage over the Xbox One.
>>
>>339892247
You act like it's easy to do. It's not and it's costly to just shove in a PS3 "processor" into the PS4 just for BC.
>>
>>339892376
A) I never said it was easy, just that it should be possible because it's been done before
B) I never said it wasn't costly, which is why I said they could charge a premium for it
>>
>>339892628
Do you seriously think that a premium of just $100 is going to yield them a profit?
It won't, which is why Sony wouldn't so something as obnoxious as that.
>>
>>339889398
Hey there friend. Let me just prep this statement by assuring you that I am in fact a real person and not a Sony™ rep. I am a true blue poster on these here forums! That said and out of the way (haha) I wanted to bring up with you the topic of Backwards Compatibility (BC) and why we are all now much better off without it!

In the past "BC" was seen as a wonderful feature that bridged the gap between consoles and kept your library relevant. Why this was bad may not have been apparent to you at the time, but little did you know what it was secretly doing was deincentivizing you from purchasing better versions of the game later!

So the decision was made to hold off on that slight boon that BC granted, to give you an even better boon down the line. Now, all thanks to those great guys at Sony™, you can rebuy all those classic PS3 titles in glorious double HD with our fantastic remasters coming out soon!
>>
>>339893013
A brand new PS3 costs around $250. They could make a profit off of charging $100 for just one part from the PS3.
>>
Too expensive to make it retro-compatible. It would be $599 all over again.

Anyway you can play PS3 games on that thing if you have solid internet connection.

Though no PS1 super backwards compatibility is bullshit when even the PSP had that.

Though sony is probably working on it because it's basically free money from selling old roms. Though it's probably not a priority and some shitty team got the budget of a safety pin and a pair of scissors.

Sony just doesn't give a shit this generation, they are steamrolling their competitors.
>>
>>339893669
>Though no PS1 super backwards compatibility is bullshit when even the PSP had that.
The PS4 has the same POPS loader that every other Playstation console has, I don't know why they haven't enabled it though.
>>
>>339894068
Because it probably wasn't a priority and no official brought it up. Sony just doesn't give a shit this gen, if Xbone was dominating the PS4 would have been such a good console.

PS1 games are definitely coming, it's too easy and too profitable, but the question is when.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>Xbox gives you free 4 games per month, most not even Indies

>2 are backwards compatible.

>Ps4 charges you to stream backward compatible games

>PS+ gives you indie games

I knew I made the right choice in picking the Xbox
>>
>>339894068
What is the POPS loader? Does it have to do with why PS2 discs are incompatible with newer PS3 models? (I heard that it was because of the disc system or something like that)
>>
They do it because they're (((SONY))).
>>
>>339894763
>NBA 2k2016
>indie game

I guess being ignorant makes you feel better about the awful decision you made.
>>
>>339894763
It's a shame Xbone is doing so poorly. It's legitimately a good console. That E3 conference really killed it before it was even born, and Microsoft doesn't care anymore. All it really needs is Microsoft throwing money at developers to make good exclusives and it would be golden.
>>
>>339889398
It ends up being that backwards compatibility isn't as vital to a system.s success as once thought. I'm sure Nintendo has examined this, and NX will not be hardware BC with Wii U or 3DS (depending on what the fuck the thing is)
>>
>>339894763
Xbox One backwards compatibility isn't as good as it should be. They still have to repackage the games or whatever they call it, so we'll never get 100% of the 360 library on the One. I'm sure most of the games worth playing will eventually be BC though. I like GwG too, I've gotten quite a few games I never would have bought otherwise from it. I just hate being forced to pay for it to get online. Like they give you more than $60 worth of games every year, why not just make online free and make GwG it's own thing? It could give the Xbox One an advantage over the PS4 that it desperately needs. Most of the top selling console games are multiplats so now that the One is cheaper than the PS4 ($300 vs $350), if they removed paid online it'd be an obvious buy for parents looking to get their kids a console and stuff.
>>
>>339895402
Nigga, kids are on ipads and PC nowadays, especially now that Nintendo is kill. What Microsoft needs to do is convince the 15-25yo audience that it's "better than the PS4". They basically need to undo E3 2013 which is impossible now that most normalfags went to Playsation. At this point they should make as much good exclusives as possible to try and convince core gamers to get one as a secondary platform.
>>
>>339895919
But removing paid online, making GwG like how PS+ originally was before the PS4, and keeping the console cheaper than the PS4 wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>339895238
>It's a shame Xbone is doing so poorly. It's legitimately a good console.

I agree. I only have a PS4 just because I want to play some japanese games that Xbox would never get (like DQ11, Persona 5, Last Guardian)
I legitimately want to play Ori, Lara Croft and Killer Instinct but I can't spend more money in consoles right now
>>
>>339895238

>It's legitimately a good console.

How so? It costs more than a PS4 but offers less performance and looks like a VCR player. Microsoft has already blown its load with its first party studios, that's basically all the Xbox has and will have, it's already dried up and finished. The only thing Microsoft is doing is signing deals with second rate developers like Kenji Infaune for more exclusives.

Xbox is a shit console.
>>
Because Sony is greedy af. They failed with PS4, and so did M$ with Xbox One. The proof is in the pudding, they're getting new 4k updated versions out, that's how underpowered their toys are.

I'm PC all the way. Only reason for me to get PS4k is if Initial D and Wangan Midnight get released for it
>>
>>339890267
They're forcing you to buy the PS3 for old games and the PS4 for the new ones.
And soon, the PS4.5 for the "better" ones.
Got it goyim?
>>
The only way they could do it was to put the ps3's cell processor into it. Was a waste of money, so they cut it.
>>
>>339897061
You believe every bullshit they put through your throat?
>>
>>339896648
They dropped the price. The Xbone is $300 now, the PS4 is still $350.
>>
>>339896950
I'm not sure about the PS4 Neo/Xbone Scorpio thing. We have yet to see official information on them, so far it's been nothing but shitty rumors parroted. I'm not saying it's not happening, but we've seen lot of last minute backpedalling in this industry.
>>
>"Oh boy! PS4! GREATNESS AWAITS!"
>Trade in your PS3 for a PS4
>"Alright! Now where are the games?"
>Crippling realization that you traded in your platform with its own library of potentially playable titles for a wasteland, devoid of video games
>Constantly shill this platform, powered directly by your post-purchase rationalization, and spread to everybody how AMAZING the console is, despite the games all being awful, not-released, or a From Software game
>Every single time a vaguely decent game is released on it, it's treated like a canteen of ice-cold purified water in the desert because of how pathetic the lineup is overall
>Repeatedly beg your friends to buy a PS4 so they can play with you (so you won't feel as bad buying this junker alone
>At least one of your friends pick up the console
>"Oh boy! PS4! GREATNESS AWAITS!"

This is why
>>
File: rhetorical.png (317 KB, 568x637) Image search: [Google]
rhetorical.png
317 KB, 568x637
>>339898373
>trading in your old console

Poorfags, when will they learn?
>>
>>339898373
>le PS4 has no gaems xD

Do I fit in yet?
>>
>>339895402
paid online is the only thing bringing money in for xbox. xbox isn't profitable by any stretch of the word. even at it's best it's never been profitable. microsoft has those 500,000 servers to maintain as well. free online would hemorrhage money.
>>
What's the point of backwards compatability if you have a working PS1, PS2, PS3 and a PS4? You do still have your old systems right? You're not the kind of scum who sells old systems to buy new ones right? You're a god tier idort who doesn't have issues like this right? RIGHT?!
>>
>>339889719
Emulate Sega Saturn faggot
>>
if you could play old games on ps4 it would lose 90% of its library
>>
File: 1453960138925.png (257 KB, 415x592) Image search: [Google]
1453960138925.png
257 KB, 415x592
>why doesn't this have backwards compatibility

Most sonyggers (including me) have a ps3 in our possesion so its pointless
>>
>>339890590
>There's no reason it shouldn't be able to play PS1 and PS2 games though, you'd have a point there
Sony would have to license Redbook, CDDA, and a lot of other format playback codecs that both consoles used, and there's no fucking way they're doing that to a console that they're already selling at a loss. It's the main reason the PS4 can't play audio CD's

Given the PS3's software emulator, I don't have confidence Sony could do any better on the PS4, as early PS3's used actual PS2 hardware as coprocessors for emulation, even PCSX2 on beefy computers has issues with stuff like Ratchet & Clank and Jak games as it is, mostly because those relied on native hardware tricks that are a bitch to duplicate through emulation
>>
>>339899125
Yet somehow they can afford to give away so many games with Xbox Live...
>>
>>339900606
Not true. A lot of people who only had a 360 got a PS4 this generation. That's mostly why there's so many HD remasters this generation, it's people who never played those games before buying them.
>>
>>339901324
it's an incentive to buy online. it's not like they're putting up the newest titles. 2 360 games and 2 crap xbox one games.
>>
>>339889398
Because CELL was so different from the PS2, they had to basically stick a PS2 inside the original PS3.

That hiked the cost up real nice.

So, it stands to reason that the PS4 would be incredibly expensive (not to mention bulky), because the same method would probably have to be employed.

And Sony was NOT going to rehash 599 US DOLLARS
>>
>>339901846
A better incentive would be to offer a cheaper option that doesn't come with games. Also the Xbox One games aren't always shit. They're usually just mediocre, but still worth playing.
>>
File: 1456959024048.jpg (30 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
1456959024048.jpg
30 KB, 316x202
>>339898373
>my ex has my ps3
>>
>>339902319
the price of xbox live is justified though. live is a more stable service than PS+. There is less down time, dedicated servers, and backward compatible games.

it would be nice for it to be free but it isn't really viable for them to break their current model.
>>
>>339903224
You don't need Live for backwards compatibility
>>
If licensing stuff is preventing BC from becoming a thing, why don't console makers start making their contracts with third party devs and the companies they licensed technology for their consoles carry over to future consoles? Like all they'd have to add, in legal jargon of course, would be, "Sony has the right to re-publish games on future consoles with the same profit sharing agreement as negotiated here. If X company no longer exists by that time, Sony is entitled to all of the revenue from sales of BC games on future consoles, or a deal can be re negotiated with the new owners of said company. Etc etc".
>>
>>339903352
true. i meant the ones that come with gold. i forgot that it was just a basic feature for the console.
>>
>>339903224
Oh wow, a real life Xbot on /v/!

Anyways, this would be totally viable for Microsoft. All they have to do is reduce the cost of Live by the amount of money per person they spend on these giveaways. If the higher tier of Xbox Live is truly worth it, people will continue to buy it. I do agree that some level of paid online is justified, Microsoft went from 15,000 servers at the end of the 360's lifetime to 300,000 servers for the Xbox One. Maybe $20-$30 a year is a fair price for online only.
>>
I'd be fine if it ran digital PS3 games. I'm sick of seeing cool shit on PSN Plus free games of the month for PS3 and being stuck with indie bullshit.
>>
They have completely different architecture. The ps3 was a nightmare to program for and it was designed that way on purpose.

The idea was that the ps2 was by far the most dominant console of all time and they would carry the momentum into the next generation. Going in with the expectation that they will have the dominate console again, it was designed to be hard to program for.

The idea was that since they were in the lead, developers would have to give extra attention to learn it and spend less time on other ports. However this bit them on the ass because the 360 had a massive leg up early on and developers said fuck it and released poor quality ports.

Eventually multiplatform games between 360 and ps3 became on par with each other, but don't play early multiplatform games on ps3.

Sony not wanting to get the shit end of the stick this generation with multiplatforms, made their architecture much more inline with standard pc's. This meant they had to abandon backwards compatibility.

For the next generation, there will be no excuse on why the ps5 can't play ps4 games other then money.
>>
First the ps3 didn't have compatibility for ps2 games, now ps4 doesn't have for ps3 games.

Guys... let's stop... just STOP. Vote with your wallets and brain, not with your feels. You can play every PC game on modern PC today. You cannot do that on consoles. Please guys, think, make an informed decision. Don't buy consoles.
>>
Wasn't the Xbox 360 PowerPC, which is a different architecture from the x86 CPU in the Xbox One? Why was Microsoft able to add 360 backwards compatibility to the Xbox One (albeit with some work around that I don't quite understand), but Sony can't do that for the PS4?
>>
>>339905551
Because Sony is japanese company, and japanese companies are literally cancer.
>>
>>339905354
Consoles will always have their place. Parents love consoles for a reason. Parents are pretty worried about letting their children play games on their computers, they could easily not know what they're doing and fuck shit up. Or spend a lot of money in "free" to play games with their parents credit card, it's the parents fault for not monitoring them, but still. Consoles give them a completely isolated box that can play games, and is nearly impossible for a child to fuck up. Of course that means the future of consoles is more Nintendo and less PlayStation, but still, consoles will never die.

>inb4 muh iPads/mobile games
iPads are more expensive than consoles, at least if you're not buying the console at launch, there's always going to be a sizeable portion of parents buying little Jimmy a $300 Nintendo console over a $400-$600 iPad.
>>
>>339906039
Great point
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.