[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
okay but why are they actually fighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10
File: overwatch-heroes.jpg (374 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
overwatch-heroes.jpg
374 KB, 1920x1080
okay but why are they actually fighting
>>
Because its a video game
>>
>>339811335
Because everyone knows that Battleborn is the superior game.
>>
Because picking sides.
Arena shooters dont need to be cannon
>>
This is actually something I don't even understand. The maps don't really seem to have any specific purpose of why they're fighting outside of maybe like 2-3, places like Industries and the Hollywood map funnily enough. Not to mention the overarching reason they're even fighting in the first place, even TF2 had the literal paper thin "Builders League United" and "Reliable Excavation Destruction" bs.
>>
to find that answer
>>
>>339811469

Blizzard sure put a lot of work into character story without giving them a reason to actually be fighting each other.
>>
>>339811510
From what I understand the comics and shit explain that when the call for the reformation of Overwatch was made, some had gone rogue and simply stayed that way.
>>
to get to the other side

Literally
>>
>>339811335
Its an arena shooter. Theyre fighting because they are pissed off they are in a shitty game getting shitty results.
>>
>>339811673
They havent given lore as to why characters are fighting in matches. but there is lore as to whats going on in the world and why overwatch got activated. There is also lore as to what characters are one some sort of side.

Matches dont need to make sense with characters not willing to play on a team with other ones
>>
>>339811673
>>339811510
There is a story for what's happening on nearly each map, King's Row for example is about bringing an EMP device through the city to detonate it where a bunch of Ominc robits are living underground. The reason you can have Solider 6 fighting Tracer even though they're on the same side is the same reason you could field two teams of entirely Soldier 76 if you want, it is a videogame and hardly meant to be realistic or restrict choices in the name of fun, it isn't that kind of game.
>>
>>339812102
>>339811890

It just feels really strange that they're pushing the story so hard and trying to elaborate on it so much if the explanation for the main part of gameplay generally just boils down to "well it's a videogame i guess".
>>
>>339811469
>Arena shooter
>Overwatch
Pick one.
>>
File: 1444994409594.jpg (213 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444994409594.jpg
213 KB, 1000x1000
>>339811335
Sage for Stillborn fags making x2 of the same thread.
Fucking FAGGOT OP

pic unrelated
>>
>>339811335
I'm pretty sure the single player campaign answered that question.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (217 KB, 1550x831) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
217 KB, 1550x831
Remove this map from the game.

It makes a shitty game type even shittier.

I ALWAYS get this fucking map and it's the worst out of all the payload maps in the game, which is saying something. It is anti-fun.
>>
>>339812286
I guess if they had team goodguy and team badguy it would lead to a lot of things like balance issues, population imbalances, longer wait times and if you had to follow the story of a map you'd always be locked into attacking or defending all the time if you wanted to stick with a certain team.

Really everyone has a reason to fight in general, each map has a bit of story behind it, but the reason you play as whatever character at whatever time is just purely "because videogames" and there's nothing really wrong with that.
>>
>>339811335
Because it was supposed to be a MMORPG called "project titan", and all this build up robotic war, Overwatch, Talon (Reaper's faction). But shit got scraped and Blizzard used the remaining resources to make a hasty PvP casual shooter game. That why the cinematic and actual game play don't make any sense when putted together

You literally playing an unfinished game
>>
Reminder that Overwatch was originally gonna be called Titan and that they whipped this up in a year for the £££.

Don't support ActiBlizzard.

Also enjoy your "free characters" that you will have to buy loot boxes for ala CoD:BO3. It is Activision after all
>>
>>339812896

didn't know overwatch was project titan

any source? (not that i wouldn't believe it)
>>
>>339812982
>whipped this up in a year

The game was first announced in 2014, and it had been in development for at least a year before that.
>>
>>339812989
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-on-cancelled-titan-mmo-we-failed-horrific/1100-6439068/

here you go anon, you can search for yourself just search for project titan overwatch
>>
>>339811890
>They havent given lore as to why characters are fighting in matches

That's the entire game.
>>
>>339812679
Boo hoo. Babby doesn't know how to switch characters and adapt to the situation?

Seriously though, this map might be my favourite for how fun it is to flank on it.
>>
>>339812679
but anon, this is one of my favorite maps
>>
>>339812679
>complaining about this map when hanamura exists

what
>>
>>339813080
>announced means that it was already being made.

It's LITERALLY unused assets from Titan. You think they was working on this for 3 years? You're delusional
>>
>>339812982
But anon, the characters are free, and the loot boxes just give you meaningless bling.
>>
>>339813334
The loot boxes in BO3 was for meaningless IMG but when they advertised "free weapons" they were free but you had to get them from the loot boxes.

If you don't think ActiBlizzard will do this for Overwatch you're in denial.
>>
>>339813301
you realize titan has been a thing for since before that trailer right?
>>
I'm all for discussing the same shit over and over again in twenty slightly different OW threads with you guys but do we need exactly the same topic twice?
>>
they're training exercises for the reformation of Overwatch
>>
>>339813443
>blizzard will make you unlock characters with money when only cosmetics behind any loot box
Blizz fanboys might be shills but your a paranoid retard if you think they would try this.
>>
>>339811673
Same reason they fight in LoL, Smash bros, etc
>>
>>339813217
All 3 of the cancerous characters I play as have problems on this map, and I'm not gonna switch to someone I don't enjoy just because of the layout. Especially when it's so common for this map to come up in the roll.
>>
The trailers seems to only show Reaper and Widowmaker as villains. They seem kind of out numbered.
>>
>>339813640
You think they are just gonna be "hey have a character" nope. This is ACTIVISION we are on about. They are scum and will want that sweet sweet money from loot crates. Just look at how many people buy loot crates for skins now. You don't think they would capitalise on this? This is business 101 do whatever you can to make money. They will make more money from loot crates than they would a season pass.
>>
>>339813841
None of the characters have problems on that map. You just suck.
>>
>>339813624
this
>>
File: image.png (147 KB, 350x450) Image search: [Google]
image.png
147 KB, 350x450
>>339813841
>he can only play 3 characters
>>
>>339811335
because they dont have the story yet, and they really need to save skin before WoW downfall
>>
>>339812286
How are they pushing the story hard? They are leaving it out completely, besides references that double as ingame characterisations, because 90% of the playerbase doesn't give a fuck. They've learned from 10+ years of WoW, were most people, even those playing that shit for years had no idea what was going on, besides recognizing a few characters because they had a few cool voicelines in WoW or cinematics in WC3.
If you are interested in the backgrounds, you can look it up and read the comics, everyone else will just watch the cinematics and take nothing away from them besides, oh yeah that's cool. Remember most people aren't invested in video games, they just want to shoot people after work/school.
>>
>>339814192
WoW is only one of Blizzard's products. They aren't going under once it dies.
>>
>>339813986
That's why I average 3 gold medals on literally any other map, right?
>>
>>339814828
Sure you do, buddy
>>
>>339813841
Anon, but this game is all about adaptation.
If you stick to ONLY 3 characters forever, you will just keep on sucking dicks, every time someone figures you out.

This game is all about switching characters to adapt, and not stick to one or two for everything.
>>
>>339813890
No, I'm pretty sure that they'll leave it as is.
Worst case scenario, they'll do it akin to Heroes of the Storm, where characters are available for everyone, but also behind a paywall for those who want them earlier. And I'm ok with that.
>>
>>339811335
They aren't, your team's point of view is canon, not the other teams, like real life, each side sees themselves as the good guy.
They can be fighting giant bunnies for all they care.
The maps appear on the shorts and the game takes place after the shorts.
Payload is the canon over watching stuff.
Fingers crossed for a moon map seeing how they keep focusing on it on their shorts.
>>
>>339814828
Gold medals ain't shit if your team loses.
It's a TEAM/Objective oriented game after all.
>>
File: Tracer_waving_header.jpg (141 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
Tracer_waving_header.jpg
141 KB, 675x380
>>339814063
I hope they show a kid Tracer playing with baby Winston on her short.
>>
>>339814853
I do, but the fact that you don't believe me just tells me that I do better than you on average and that brings me some satisfaction.

>>339815041
I have a character for offense, a character for defense, and a tank character that I like to play for either or and just by cycling between them I can usually help my team curbstomp most games and have fun with muh little cast but it just doesn't happen on Route 66.

At any rate, I know the game is focused around switching out a lot, but I can't help my autism when I have so much more fun playing the characters I do.
>>
>>339812982
Titan was an MMO.

I knew bits and pieces of titan and in 2012 it was leaked that Titan would "Take place around the world" and "history"

Surprise surprise, that bit stayed with Overwatch.

Titan was gonna be a huge timetraveling sandbox MMO.
>>
>>339812102
well in tf2 they are different soldiers. just mercenaries. the only static is team RED and team BLU
>>
File: moonman.jpg (59 KB, 577x409) Image search: [Google]
moonman.jpg
59 KB, 577x409
>>339811335

also it bothers me that its called Overwatch which is some sort of world police force, but then you have Reaper and Widowmaker who are basically the bad guys who aren't in Overwatch police. At least TF2 played it as two construction teams fighting each other or whatever it was, OW makes no sense with random good guys and a few bad guys teaming up to fight other mostly good guys. Why even have all of that pointless lore?
>>
>>339815521
It wasn't going to be a time traveling mmo. It was gonna be a mom based on far future earth where it plays like Sims and Eve old but in combat it was gonna be like Overwatch
>>
>>339816015
Should I be expecting an upcoming milf dlc hero then?
>>
Test
>>
>>339815705
Pretty sure TF2 players are clones
>>
I remember some people claiming it's some kind of VR simulation.
That's would explain a lot of lines like "Crusader online"
>>
>>339816224
No they just happen to look like the ones from the other team
>>
Money, power, bitches
>>
This is a game that could have benefit from factions. They simply packaged the finished PVP mode of the defunct Titan MMO and sold it to 7 million retards.
If you think about it, the game modes are very similar to WoW's pvp objectives.
>>
>>339811335
it's a simulation that trains new overwatch agents
>>
>>339815356
It's literally the cutest romance.
>>
>>339815976

It's all a training simulation.

If you're Reaper or Widowmaker, then all the other guys aren't real. Vice versa for the good guys. Same thing if there are duplicates of a character: only one of them is real.
>>
>>339813848
Junkrat and roadhog come to mind. Zarya would fight against Omnics given the chance. McCree is kind of an outlaw, but dont know if hes changed now.
>>
File: 1459321285811.jpg (29 KB, 320x568) Image search: [Google]
1459321285811.jpg
29 KB, 320x568
>>339814828
I'm shit and I get a bunch of medals. They mean nothing.
Win by taking objectives, switch to characters that'll help your team.
You're a shitter of the worst kind, people like you should get blacklisted and forced to play with other stupid faggots who try to play OW like COD.
>>
>>339811335
We'll never know because Blizzard is making up the lore as they go along.
>>
>>339816987
>One gold medal I get consistently is almost always the most objective time
>Try to tell me I play the game as if it were CoD anyway

Loving every kek
>>
Yeah that bugs me too
>the world needs heroes!
>...to fuck each other up
>>
>>339811510
>funnily
>>
>>339816987
True. You get a bunch of bronze medals.
>>
>>339815359
I can understand that.
I'm biased towards this map because it's where I discovered that I can curbstomp the enemy team with Winston pretty much on a regular basis.

Out of pure curiosity, which characters do you play?
>>
>>339817715
>Hurr durr, someone made a typo

Grow up.
>>
>>339816674
Reaper and Widowmaker apparently belong to 'Talon', some merc. group that was trained in a similar way as some of the OW agents, according to the fluff at least.

Junkrat found "something" valuable that made him a target, and Roadhog agreed to be his bodyguard for 50% of the profits off of whatever it is that Junkrat found.

McCree was evil. Then he joined overwatch and was an edgelord about it, then he became a good guy.

Then after OW fell apart, he left but was a Vigilante.

That's what I remember at least, from reading all the lore that I could find.
>>
>>339813848
Hanzo is a crime lord and his clan was fought and destroyed by Owerwatch (Genji mostly)
Symmetra is an operative of some generic evil corporation thing.

Those can qualify as sort of villains I guess.
>>
>>339811335
Needs horde mode where you fight waves of omnic fucks and giant mecha in the comics.

At the minute it's purely a war to see who can get play of the game before the turrets do.
>>
>>339818302
You'll think me a shitter if I tell you. Most people find all of my favorite characters ridiculously annoying.

McCree, Mei, Roadhog.
>>
>>339821183
Mei is annoying as fuck, nothing wrong with mcree or roadhog though

roadhog is my favourite tank, can stop so many ults and charges by hooking and is independant from supports unlike the other tanks aside from dva
>>
>>339821183
Because they have combo kills.
The worst is McCree, the flashbang 400 damage combo is terrible.
>>
>>339821338
>roadhog is my favourite tank, can stop so many ults and charges

Yep. People say that Roadhog's high health combined with his lack of armor or shield just means that he's an ult farm for the opposition, but they never mention that his hook can take away an ult just as easily. Especially dangerous ones like Reaper's.

I don't consider him a traditional tank though, he actually plays the best when you already have a tank like Reinhardt drawing the fire. He also works surprisingly well in ambush, and when you focus on pulling out a Mercy or a Zenyatta causing problems for your team.

Meanwhile I like Mei because she can contest an objective for ludicrous amounts of time by herself, and I like McCree because he's a cowboy with unparalleled flank potential and an oddly rewarding primary fire.
>>
>>339822121
armor and shield dont build ult on people? I always wondered what the difference between armor and health was
>>
>>339822332
iirc armor is a set amount of damage that you can take without giving ult before it's chewed through permanently, while shields do the same thing but they recharge.

I don't think armor necessarily absorbs more damage than a shield either unless the number is higher, since everything is assigned a numerical amount of damage it can take in this game.
>>
>>339822121
McCree, Mai and Roadhog...I bet people loves you when the match ends.
>>
>>339813890
ActiBlizzard announced themselves that they wont add any DLC stuff or extra characters that you need to pay for. Everything you pay for is cosmetic
>>
>>339822774
Genuinely or in a rage-induced sort of way?

Because I find that McCree and Mei will often get votes from the team but nobody will ever vote for Roadhog regardless of what you did. I haven't figured out why yet.
>>
>>339822997
ive found that i get 40%+ of team damage as roadhog and never get voted for it

but if i have 10+ hooks regardless of accuracy ill get alot of votes
>>
>>339811510
The actual game and the matches themselves aren't canon to actual lore. Think Super Smash Bros.

Though there are stories for some of the game modes you play, like you've already said.
>>
>>339817273
I was on an objective for 0.08 seconds and got a gold medal, gold don't mean shit nigga.
>>
File: 1464295676176.jpg (913 KB, 2880x1620) Image search: [Google]
1464295676176.jpg
913 KB, 2880x1620
I just see it as those fights where Professor X and Magneto work together since they have a common enemy. While they have different agendas, their immediate goal is the same.
>>
>>339823186
I've took 70% of team damage as Roadhog once and I don't remember getting a single vote for it.

I guess people might come back to the old logic that I was only feeding ults but I dunno, voters are weird in their logic.

>>339823464
Okay, fair enough, I've gotten gold for really low barriers like that too but more often than not that just means your team sucked at being coordinated and doing anything.

My highest gold medal objective time was something like 6 minutes on a payload, and of course I was Mei.
>>
>>339824452
>I've took 70% of team damage as Roadhog once and I don't remember getting a single vote for it.

unless you can provide pics, you are confused and thats not team damage

roadhogs most common one is "self healed x% of damage taken", it has nothing to do with team damage, its just how much of the damage you healed with your honey pot
>>
>>339824629
I can't provide pics but it did happen, only once. Normally I only take like 30 to 40% of team damage as Roadhog, maybe sometimes half damage, but when I took that astronomically high 70% I thought it was the funniest shit and still nobody voted me in.

On the other hand, I was a McCree one match where my team got utterly curbstomped within just a couple of minutes. The play of the game came up and it was me, and I was thinking "At what point in this game could I have gotten POTG? Nothing happened"

It ended up being me flanking and getting a mediocre double kill. That's it. Then I got 6 votes at the card screen for doing jack shit. The commendations in this game make no sense sometimes.
>>
So what heroes are you guys able to play?
>Genji
>McCree
>Reaper
>Bastion
>Mei
>Reinhardt
>Lúcio
>>
>>339815521
Not really, Blizz admitted Titan was already dead back then and the rumours you're talking about were already referring to Overwatch.
>>
File: SOLDIER.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SOLDIER.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>tfw everyone decides to pick the same class and you win
>>
>>339827416
6 soldier, 6 dva or 6 roadhog has a very hard time losing
>>
>>339822732
Armor reduces damage by 5 points per hit (shotgun weps are all one hit) so it's most effective against things like tracers guns. Shield is just rechargeable health
>>
>>339827940
source?

also what the fuck it should reduce the damage of each pellet on shotguns
>>
>>339828094
>source?
There's a wiki

>also what the fuck it should reduce the damage of each pellet on shotguns
That would make Reaper really bad at killing tanks.
>>
>>339828401
>That would make Reaper really bad at killing tanks.

it would also make roadhog not be able to two shot tanks, i dont see the problem with this
>>
>>339812679
All of the payload maps are shit

>Linear open area leading into a funneled building
>>
>it's a level 11 reaper spamming we need a healer episode
>>
>>339828094
Apparently the shotgun thing was changed during the beta and now each pellet does do reduced damage.
>>
>>339818795
Talon was originally Blackwatch (I think), the splinter cell of Overwatch that Reyes took over before attempting the coup.
>>
>>339811335
Holovids in the Museums have them pit against known criminals

>it's a simulation
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.