[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: th.jpg (12 KB, 300x223) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
12 KB, 300x223
how this game
>>
>>339785201
Annoying to setup and takes forever to download the updates that you have to get before starting the game.
>>
>>339785201
The Finalest of the Fantasies pt XI
>>
>>339785201
stay far away
>>
Play Chains of Promathia, feel dissatisfied with basically everything SE has put out since.
>>
>>339785201

It was amazing and then Abyssea came out and now it's trash

You missed the boat, OP
>>
How fast can I experience just the story? I know I missed the glory days but at least I want to experience the story
>>
>>339786996
it's practically unplayable for a new player starting out.
>>
>>339786996

You could simply watch it on youtube, it's a few hundred videos long though.

Playing it today would be fairly awkward, a lot of the experience was the challenge and teamwork that went into working through the great storylines.
>>
>>339786996
You can easily play the many storylines by doing them with Trusts (FFXI's summonable NPCs mechanic).
>>
>>339787086
They throw trusts at you and removed lvl caps for all the fights, so you can play solo with party of NPCs, you can get 99 in 3 days easy and spend a month doing all the missions
>>
it good
>>
>>339786175
I had some fun with smaller groups in Abyssea but the writing was on the wall to be sure.

Problem with any MMO is increasing the level cap beyond what the base design had been built for. I understand JP release the cap was 50, but Rise was always in the game play so was 75, which is why stuff like convert was 45 etc.

Once those level caps keep going up and remove content options, shit starts going south. Hence why theme parks are in the poor ass state they're in.
>>
>>339785201

It was the best MMO,

now days it's a relic of what it once was, with the success of WoW and other MMO's FFXI changed to be more like them.

before Abyssea came out it was great, now days it's pretty much trash.
>>
File: 1454408375005.jpg (171 KB, 590x755) Image search: [Google]
1454408375005.jpg
171 KB, 590x755
Subscriber here. I played from launch until 2009 and then resubbed last year.

It's an amazing game but a majority of the game's content will now be done with NPC partners instead of the original way of trying to co-ordinate a party of real life players under much harsher restrictions. There are still real life players working together at the newest content but a lot of the older experiences are now deserted.

I don't think the game is totally obsolete, it's still a lot better than XIV or other WoWclones, but it's a bit like playing Mario or something where you have invincibility and flight turned on until the last level, you don't really appreciate those parts any more now that the challenge is gone. But the game isn't totally dead yet.
>>
File: mithranip.jpg (406 KB, 1000x763) Image search: [Google]
mithranip.jpg
406 KB, 1000x763
>>339788601
Gear treadmills are objectively trash but at least FFXI only did it twice in its history as opposed to every update.

Seekers of Audolin undid a lot of damage that Abyssea caused. Yes the old content made obsolete by Abyssea is still kind of worthless, but the new Audolin content serves as a kind of microcosm of old FFXI, so at least you still have some old horizontal-style progression at level 99
>>
>>339788804

you're only lying to yourself,

the game is trash now.

No need to partner up with anyone, you can get NPC groups to help you, and there are solo quests that give you XP at 4x the rate of original FFXI

It's a shell of what it once was, scraped clean of all the things that made it good, now its just a mindless MMO where you can clear the content super fast.
>>
>>339789047
No one is denying that FFXI is nowhere near as good as it once was, but I don't think you understand just how garbage WoWclones are. I played Realm Reborn between subbing to XI and returning to XI was like a breath of fresh air. FFXI at least has SOME sense of accomplishment and meaning, ARR has zero.
>>
>>339789232

I quit FFXI in 2008, max level DRK/SAM

I tried going back, and was disgusted at the current state of the game.

I played ARR to max level when it was re-released and really enjoyed it, mainly because it reminded me of FFXI.
>>
did they increase the movement speed?

because normally you would walk slow as fuck, if they let you run faster now i might come back
>>
>>339788804
wow that sounds weird because i remember how harsh the game originally was and even when population started declining you would use that search zone thingy, and search zones all over the server in that thing and hopefully theyll come and help u in valkurm or something
>>
>>339789521
Update afew years ago increased movement of everything, and there is gear that increases it too
>>
>>339789516
Well I don't know what to tell you then. I really don't understand how you can enjoy ARR but think current FFXI is disgusting when ARR is literally just all the things that ruined XI but even worse.
>>
>>339789516
It's a goddamned shame what happened to ARR after the first few patches. There was so much promise there, so much server identity, so many heartfelt victories and soul crushing loses to Titan HM. Then fuck it, throw it all away.

HW just made it so much fucking worse. I only still listen to the OST. Such a fucking waste.
>>
>>339789685
There is no need to party with anyone unless you are doing brand new content, you can party with NPCs of your choice and they reward you for doing missions with permanent increase in exp.

You can get 1k+ a kill easy once you hit 40 until you cap out at 99 so what used to take days to lvl years ago takes less than an hour
>>
>>339789008
It was jarring for a lot of people when Seekers first came out. It was like the new crew said, "We too think Abyssea is shit, so let's hearken back to the old times." And then everyone preceded to evacuate in droves.

It's the same problem that happened with any casualizing of a game. The moment you give them an inch, in terms of accessibility or easy anything else, you can't take it back. Not saying Abyssea was awful or great, I had some good times in there and bad, but after 2 or so years of people doing nothing but dual boxing a WHM and doing whatever they wanted, we couldn't be expected to go back to 6 man groups chain pulling to camps.
>>
>>339789914

I stopped playing about a month after it came out,

got max level in 2 weeks, did most of the endgame, got up to the "grind the same dungeons over and over" part and quit.

>>339789890

Because that is what ARR is,

FFXI was something else, something great that was ruined, it's not what it was when it was a great game.

I'm not saying ARR is a great game, because it's not. It was a fresh take on the FF MMO, with the same enemies, brought some nostalgia while being a whole new game. Yes, it was closer to WoW / Rift than FFXI, but that is what the new generation wants in a MMO. I didn't think it was great, but I enjoyed it, as I said before. Mainly because I got to revisit all the classic FFXI enemies in a new light.

dem goblins and orcs tho
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.