[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Souls series poplar because of its difficulty or because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 3sluoskraD.jpg (220 KB, 1200x650) Image search: [Google]
3sluoskraD.jpg
220 KB, 1200x650
Is the Souls series poplar because of its difficulty or because of its level design?
>>
Both, depending on which game you're talking about
>>
difficulty
>>
>>339685370
The hardest game ever XD

Welcome to Dark Souls
>>
game is versatile enough to play however you want
>>
it's popular because things that start out as a challenging can be overcome by simply leveling up and brute forcing it which deludes people into thinking they got better at the game when really all they did was farm
>>
>>339685370
I'd say because it doesn't hold your hand. You have to actually learn from your mistakes, and figure things out for yourself in order to play the game.

The "dark souls is super hard" reputation is more a sign that the current industry has been putting out so many handholdy games to the point that the general gaming community is too used to not having to think of the consequences of death when playing games.
>>
>>339685370
Because they are fun.
>>
I can't speak for others but I got into Souls because of the art direction and because weapons and armor were simple and effective in design which I loved
>>
>>339687861
This. The only reason why people think DS is hard is because it punish you for dying.
>>
>>339685370
Initially it gained a small amount of popularity due to good level design and atmosphere. Many people (casuals) incapable of understanding such things tried the series, but found the games to be "difficult" (it isn't). Since they knew the games were good, didn't know why, and found the games difficult, they assumed that the difficulty was what made the games good. Those casuals far outnumber the people who actually appreciate level design and atmosphere, and further marketing latched onto this demographic. So most fans of the series like it for the "difficulty" but if not for the actual merits in level design and such, the series would not be popular.
>>
It's literally the only RPG with good multiplayer
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.