[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is your game coming along, anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 103
File: big-list-game-engines.png (53 KB, 890x400) Image search: [Google]
big-list-game-engines.png
53 KB, 890x400
How is your game coming along, anon?
>>
Did some bug testing today.

Does anyone know a platform I can release a demo for bug testing feedback?
>>
File: screen.png (43 KB, 1152x770) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
43 KB, 1152x770
You tell me... how does it look?
I don't like UnderTale but that game technically proved that GMS is the only Indie Engine that has any chance of being successful.

Nothing that big has come out on the Unreal Engine except Goat Simulator.
>>
File: 0XI99oX.gif (422 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
0XI99oX.gif
422 KB, 500x211
I'm making a dumb RPG with main focus on combat. Mechanics are finished, it's a mix of FFV and SMT in terms of the combat.

To finish the gameplay aspect I need some cool spell names. If anyone has some weird, abstract and campy spell names please share. Examples? Decent Black, Hypernova, shit like that.
>>
>>339634665
Don't go make the sprites so detailed if you're a pixelart newbie.

Also change the font, it really stands out.
>>
File: Ca0EUIkXEAA3qHo.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Ca0EUIkXEAA3qHo.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
I'm trying to be a do-it-all fag and I'm working on getting some assets done first. But while I truly enjoy working on them, my models probably suck. I'm shooting for <5000 tris for a character model because I'm planing on making most of the game in a city with lots of NPCs, but because of the lower number of polys, or because of my mediocre topology, edge shadows are making the model look like ass. Can anyone post some good examples of low/reduced-poly models or animation?
>>
>>339635201
uuuh. doing-it-all with 3d shit is really hard, why didn't you start with something in 2d?
>>
File: mm6-9.png (262 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mm6-9.png
262 KB, 640x480
How hard is to make dungeon crawler in Unity? I tried it in Game Maker when I was a school boy and it was sufficient but I can program only in C++ and Unity doesn't support C++
>>
>>339635157
I know about the font thing I'd rather make my own font but I don't know how to do it or make the font compatible for other computers after it's been made since you usually have to download a font to see it.

I suck at pixel art currently but once I learn how to draw it correctly then I can just replace all of the sprites with better ones.
>>
>>339635068
I have some names, organized by base theme:
Fire: Lava Buster, Shimmerfire, Heatlaunch.
Water: Triple triangle typhoon, Kelp-pow, Tsunamist.
Lasers and shit: Technodrive, Last waster, Night blast, double cherry blast.
>>
>>339635402
Mainly because I don't wanna. But also, I kinda have already, most of my middle school years were spent dicking around in Game Maker 6/7. Never made anything resembling a complete game, but I'm not too interested in 2d anymore. I know it's going to be hard, but right now the only thing I don't see myself being able to just learn is texturing/art. I'll figure something out later, but for now I'll grab placeholders from the internet and just try to make it work. I'm tired of being an idea person.
>>
>>339635068
>Paper cutter, Thumbscrew, Black mark, Steam force, Dissolve, Shape manifest, The orb, Rewire, Funky smell, Boil, Madden, Summon cuboid, Damocles, Shredder, Mighty burst, Orange power, Crying metal, Short shock, Dampen, Bubble impact, Threaten

Literally just thinking of shit off the top of my head, some of those might be better attack names than spell names but there you go.
>>
If you have any non-element related (I'm especially looking for 2deep4u stuff related to mythology, science or literature) I'd love it.

>>339635978
Thanks anon, saved.

>>339636287
Thanks and saved, but I skipped stuff like Boil, Madden or Threaten - I already have low-level spells, I'm looking for something really endgame.
>>
>>339635068
>Decent Black
Wew.
>>
>>339636768
desu it isn't on my list, I stole the name from animu to provide an example of abstract spell name
>>
File: Tricky.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Tricky.webm
3 MB, 720x480
Did I show you guys trick progress?

Trick progress
>>
>>339634481
itch.io

as an added bonus, an itch.io account lets you participate in /agdg/'s Demo Day, which is nice.
>>
>>339634665
whats GMS
>>
>>339637490
Game Maker: Studio
The engine that UnderTale and Risk of Rain were made on.
>>
>>339635068
I'll give you some that I played with as attack names in my game, which are military/science driven

Faded Giant
Broken Arrow
Nucflash
Wavefunction Collapse
Spinfoam
Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser

(That last one is my favorite)
>>
>>339635476
unity support c++ but you have to do the interfaces.
>>
>>339637250
cuckscrew 1080
>>
>>339638150
Lol

When I posted it to /agdg/ the first response was
>Abstract shitty backflip
>>
>>339637997
Thank you, saved
>>
>>339638037
Oh thanks I thought it's C# and Java only
>>
Pretty well, making an RPG and I've got all the basics down, but now comes the part where I have to think about stat scaling and balance. I've got a lot of info in a spreadsheet, but I'm wondering how to effectively apply scaling for things like attack, defense etc. I can put numbers in a random range around a base value that increments as the player levels up, but that's kind of boring and I want to combine different stats to produce different effects. There's probably a few formulas online I can look at.
>>
File: wip tool 1.png (194 KB, 1369x994) Image search: [Google]
wip tool 1.png
194 KB, 1369x994
tool is advancing fine. Need a last tab to create color palettes and I should be able to go back to Unity
>>
File: etna.gif (44 KB, 328x316) Image search: [Google]
etna.gif
44 KB, 328x316
>>339638886
the save as gif option works pretty nice considering it's copy pasted code. I need to clean the weapon sprite though
>>
Taking into account we're using Oculus Rift and LEAP Motion and thag one of the members of the team does nothing but hinder the rest of us, I guess we are doing fucking fine
>>
>>339639632
Extend the bottom part of the bunny ears a bit. It looks incomplete. I assume it's a headband-esque situation
>>
Guys, I'm prototyping a game that uses evolutive algorithms to create gladiators.

Right now my inheritable "genes" are attack, accuracy, defence and agility. I was thinking about adding some more inheritable genes, got any ideas?
>>
>>339640198
Obesity
>>
How hard would it be for me to try and make a game with an elementary understanding of programming?
>>
>>339638692
http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Plugins.html
http://blogs.unity3d.com/es/2015/05/06/an-introduction-to-ilcpp-internals/
>>
>>339640012
I cut it from Flonne's head. the weapon was fucking cut from a screenshot because nobody apparently extracted the weapon sprites. It's just placeholder at the moment.When the game prototype is done I'll probably draw a few non copyrighted assets.
>>
>>339640332
Expand on it and I promise you some of them will be obese
>>
>>339640198
charisma. gladiators gets bonus when the public favor them
>>
>>339640198
if you're going for a weighted weapon system, strength.
>>
>>339640618
That's really clever, gotta write it down somewhere, thanks!
>>
>>339640781
No weapon system, but that sounds nice for future iterations

Thank you!
>>
>>339640198
If ther's AI you need 2-3 personality traits so some figthers are aggressive, others are dodgy, or block.
>>
>>339641990
Right now the game revolves around basic tabletop rolls for damage and such, but I can focus next updates in using AI to provide a much more interesting fights

Thanks!
>>
>>339636021
Good luck leaving your former ideas-guy self behind, Anon, it's time to be a real dev
>>
how the hell does one get started in game maker
i've ideas but i've no idea how to get around to implementing them
>>
Is it just me or is twitter a lot more.. commercial/sell-outy than tumblr?

I've had a tumblr for my games for a while, made a twitter recently and it seems like everyone is just out to shill.
People following then unfollowing if you don't follow back, spamming duplicate nice comments to everyone hoping you'll give some back, caring more about hashtags than actually explaining anything.
>>
>>339635068

Soul flak
Shatterspree
FUN.TIME.
>>
>>339643335
Tell me, what you have in mind, Anon? Depends on what you want to do, it can be easy...or it can be real fucking hard
>>
>>339643392

Back then I used to be the game designer and twitter clown for a really tryhard indie team and it's all charades and people hugging eachother trying to channel followers (And buyers) from one game to another
>>
Guys, from 0 to 10, how important in a game is AI for you?
>>
>>339645146
nobody really notice a good AI from a mediocre one, but a bad AI ruins everything.
>>
>>339645146

Depends on its genre. Like a lot.
>>
>>339645367
>>339645446

Do you guys prefer AI that are really fucking smart or AI's that are fucking vocal and are not as smart but do cool stuff in a open manner instead of being subtle?
>>
>>339645790
Moderately intelligent

Remember, a sufficiently intelligent AI is indistinguishable from an out-and-out cheating AI.

An AI that can consistently outflank you without your knowledge is indistinguishable from a bullshit rubberbanding AI that teleports behind you when it's losing
>>
>>339646618

Thanks for the insight, mate. Right now another programmer wants to go the easy route and cowboy program a real dumb AI, but I think going for something better but not excessively intelligent is the better option.
>>
How would you go about doing a third person melee combat system?

I'm thinking a lock on would be necessary for it to fell good, but i don't want to carbon copy oot.

Are there any good examples of 3rd p combat that i can look up for inspo?
>>
>>339647081
Ugh

OoT is the least complicated one. And it's probably the best one.

Ugh, try Final Fantasy XII and XIII
>>
>>339647081
Ps2 Prince of Persia games had a very fluent combat system, it felt really good to use and even better to watch, the moves were so stylish
>>
>>339647081
Depends, what kind of game you want/plan to make?
>>
>>339640198
Had a similar game in progress before a hard drive wipe made me lose a ton of information.

If you have multiple gladiators together think about making personalities on how they behave together.

IF they have multiple weapons, give htem weapon preferences, range preferences, etc.

While evolutionary stats are neat, behavior is where evolutionary algorithms will do you better
>>
>>339647384
I want to make an adventure game, with a solid combat and some dynamic movement that I think should be integrated in combat. also a flintlock gun.

>>339647354
I'll look 'em up
>>339647357
This could be what i'm looking for actually
>>
What has the most natural use of C++? Its the only language I know besides C and I don't care to learn java shit.
>>
>>339647081
Ninja Gaiden
DMC
Bayonnaise
Dynasty/Samurai Warriors
99% of fighting games
Gauntlet
Twisted Metal
any Final Fantasy
etc etc
>>
>>339647703

Thank you very much for the tips. I'm sorry about the drive wipe.

As I stated before, right now the game uses tabletop rolls for combat, so there isn't much room for behaviours. But based on your advice, in the future I will add some utility-based behaviours to spice things up.

Thanks again!
>>
File: MayhemLeague.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
MayhemLeague.webm
3 MB, 720x480
>>339647081
DMC/Bayo

I cite both because despite being radically different, they are built upon the framework of the best third-person melee combat system of all time

webm shillingly related

The thing about DMC/Bayo that people often miss is that it isn't about the juggles and the dodges, it's that the system (a) enables you to succeed by mashing, but simultaneously (b) rewards you for refraining from doing so

The marriage of those two elements, the ability to mash and the incentive to restrain yourself, are what make the systems so satisfying and deep.

A system that universally punishes mashing with failure becomes something Arkham-style, where it feels like a pure rhythm game with combat animations and where the player isn't free to give in to the panic or frustration of intense moments with button-breaking intensity.

A system that offers no incentive not to mash becomes the shallowest piece of shit imaginable, and combat can be reduced to "press A 48 times to unlock this door" bullshit.
>>
>>339647081
Honestly the gundam breaker games have some really nice combat. You're able to do a lot of things in 3.
>>
>>339647758
Kingdom hearts might be a good option to look into, maybe MGR? Not sure.

A lot of the recommendations i'd make were already mentioned by other anons though.
>>
>>339648250
That .webm looks fucking rad, damn
>>
What genre of game do you guys prefer to play on your cellphones when you're on the bus or something?
>>
>>339647943
Thanks but many of this focus on large number of enemies, i was actually thinking of fewer enemies with interesting patterns
>>
>>339648502

Interesting arcade games like DEUL are great, but I also like level based environmental puzzle games like Monument Valley. Basically, something that doesn't really require much focus
>>
>>339648318
>>339648251
>>339648250
>>339647943
Thanks for the tips guys
>>
>>339648463
Thanks!

But I wasn't just shilling my game, I really meant what I said.

A game that enables you to play like a spastic moron but rewards you for restraining yourself just feels RIGHT. It captures perfectly that same cliche that makes the bishounen line work in every disposable action anime; that being a crazed shit grants immense power, but learning to control that power makes you so much more impressive.

A game that forces you to be a master before you succeed is, weirdly enough, a shallow game. Just a challenging one. A well-designed combat system has a first-floor entry level and a 60-story vaulted skill ceiling; a game where you can skate through by the skin of your teeth if you wail on the attack keys, but where you can do things worthy of sharing the footage on YouTube if you take the time to master the nuances of the mechanics.

There came a time where everyone realized that Quake just fucking nailed it with the mouselook and every game since that has involved even the most cursory need for aiming has adopted that camera-centric point-and-shoot system; the same thing needs to happen for melee mechanics WRT to DMC's core combat mechanics.
>>
>>339648512
Well half the point of listing so many games is to point out that your options are limitless when it comes to 3rd person combat, I can't think of a game where it wouldn't work, it can do anything.
>fewer enemies with interesting patterns
Actually, DMC/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta/Kingdom Hearts are all strong in this department and would be a good starting point, depending on how fast you want it to play. Good luck no matter what you decide to use as inspiration.
>>
I need help thinking of RPG mechanics
>>
>>339648898
You want shallow gimmicky and fun, or deep and complex?
>>
>>339645790
You want AI that can play moderately well, but using your AI to teach your player to do Cool stuff and think about expanding strategy will make the AI see mway more impressive.The second seems more important with more common games, but the first helps when you are concerned with difficulty
>>
>>339648898
Action RPG? JRPG? And you want mechanics only or also elements?
>>
File: lava.png (552 KB, 810x1268) Image search: [Google]
lava.png
552 KB, 810x1268
I got RPG Maker MV a few days ago, I'm still learning the basics.
>>
>>339648898
day/night cycle that encourages you to do mundane things like brush your teeth at least twice a day or your breath will attract harder monsters
>>
>>339649251
What happens if you drink lava?
>>
>>339649427
You get God Mode.
>>
>>339648898
Ability decay: characters that you don't use start forgetting how to perform their skills succesfully and suffer % malus to their accuracy. After fighting for a while, they regain their training and go back to normal.
>>
I was making decent progress learning programming stuff, but I hit a wall and just kind of stopped. Didn't really give up, just don't feel like trying right now.

Been thinking of trying to learn to draw again too, but I have very little free time and even less motivation.
>>
>>339649470
God mode because you don't exist anymore :^0? That's deep,man
>>
>>339649727
Ya nailed it, good job.
>>
Progress is alright so far. Finished the first five characters, and the Battlefield clone stage.
>>
File: lava2.png (1010 KB, 824x2500) Image search: [Google]
lava2.png
1010 KB, 824x2500
>>339649427
>>
File: image.png (56 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
image.png
56 KB, 636x358
>>339649912
Forgot to add picture
>>
>>339649817

An old classmate did something similar in a weird 3D asteroids meets woorms game, with a secret powerup that granted you "Quantum mode". Basically it fucked up your movement physics because you didn't use macro physics anymore. Fun stuff.
>>
>>339649151
JRPG both. One idea I had is that all magic and skills have a timer to activate, and you can cancel the timer early to cast the spell or skill at half damage or effectiveness, but the enemy also has timers, and if you cancel when the enemy is at a certain section of their charge, you'll do double damage and counter their attack
>>
>>339649929
>everything burns and only Satan remains

Cool!
>>
>>339650051
That sounds pretty dope.
>>
>>339650051
>you change the outcome of the game by measuring it
>the results screen always shows different stats from what the player's performance was
>>
File: littlegirlsonlywater.png (745 KB, 828x2512) Image search: [Google]
littlegirlsonlywater.png
745 KB, 828x2512
>>339650154
>>
>>339650023
>Brad Armstrong and RoR's commando kicking ass together

That doesn't happen everyday!
>>
>>339634665
this artstyle is great imo
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-02+at+09.49.16).png (20 KB, 599x559) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-02+at+09.49.16).png
20 KB, 599x559
You tell me.
>>
>>339650374
>little girl tells lie
>unseen power smites her
>now it's definitely a lie
>>
So how should I do movement in a platform? Pin point accurate where if you stop pressing a key or the stick, you just halt, or give it friction while it stops?
>>
>>339650841
ALWAYS friction

Always
>>
>>339640198
I think the lack of sympathy/mercifulness could be an interesting trait as well, like you could end up with a gladiator that's not particularly strong or good at fighting, but so ruthless that he just ends up winning everything.
>>
>>339650219
He also created a "challenge mode" that was a 1v1 versus a really fucking unfair AI, after you were done, you were assigned a score and a rank. To make people go insane, the fucking score you got was random. No rhyme or reason, a plain fucking random number.

Two guys ended up hating eachother due to a very fierce rivalry, they tried their best to decipher how the score and rank worked to beat eachother, but the more they tried, the results were more and more alien. They were roommates and ended up so pissed at eachother that one of them switched rooms.

And no one ever knew it was random.
>>
File: bad-taxidermy-fox.jpg (21 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
bad-taxidermy-fox.jpg
21 KB, 375x500
>been saying "today's the day I continue the progress" for exactly 2 weeks since the College break started
Literally how do you find motivation to work on your own?
>>
File: doomdoor.png (456 KB, 828x1900) Image search: [Google]
doomdoor.png
456 KB, 828x1900
>>
>>339650841
Pin-point unless you're on an icy area.
>>
>>339650374

>Blorp, lorp, lorp
>It was actually lava doe

Give it a random chance to change the text, please
>>
I want to make an isometric game with rotate-able camera 2D characters and 3D environment.
Which engine is easiest for a braindead retard like me?
>>
>>339651160
Don't do it man
>>
>>339651004

That sounda really interesting, gotta write it down, thanks!
>>
>>339651170
>>339650981
Perhaps high friction, so you don't inmediately stop while moving, but rather, stop quickly.

Unless, of course, it's slippery, which makes sense.

So, how much air control shall I give my character?

In some game you don't have much control in the air after jumping, but in some others you have plenty control
>>
>>339651159
Evolutive gladiators guy here, I motivate myself thinking in all the crazy stuff I can add to makd things more interesting and the idea of improving my code pushes me forward.
>>
>>339651412
Depends on the game style. No movement control after jumping is terrible though, Volgarr would have been ten times better if you could control your jumps.
>>
>>339651160

We drank lava and got smited by God himself after drinkin' a little girls water, so I think it's time for us to open that door
>>
>>339633805
I need help with trying to make a small city... where do I start?
I need some buildings to have interiors
>>
>>339651265
Unity with billboard sprites sounds like an easy way of getting started
>>
File: firstboss.png (522 KB, 832x1888) Image search: [Google]
firstboss.png
522 KB, 832x1888
>>339651272
>>339651581
Too late, already added the first boss.
>>
>>339651620
Genre? Info about the game?
>>
>>339651620
Go to google maps
Road view
Explore some cities
???
Profit
>>
>>339651810
>carefull
>>
>>339651810
>self-censoring
Why you gotta fuck it up like that? I liked your shit until then. Either avoid profanity altogether, or use it as you feel necessary. Censoring yourself is like saying "I'm kind of scared to take risks."
>>
>>339648250
What do you think about Godhand in comparison?
>>
Check it out
Here's my web demo of 9 levels
>www.googledrive.com/host/0B29H_SqPY601RXR2eWFSNy1TQ28/
I've already made some pretty big changes to it, but let me know what you think about it in this state

protip: if something seems impossible, you're doing it wrong
>>
>>339650426
thank you! :D
>>
>>339651810
Drink the water of the pond on the right
>>
>>339652072
Checking it out now.
>>
>>339652072

Fuck, cool shit happens when I'm using mobile and far from my PC
>>
>>339637418
I do not recommend posting your game to demo day if you're no an AGDG regular. They will shitpost you to hell and back for being a "whodev" and try to ruin your reputation.

If you want to be on Demo Day start posting your game on AGDG before it.
>>
File: ha3.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ha3.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>339633805
None of you retards are ever going to make anything good. You idiots will sit there and bitch about indie devs making trash games and they'll always be better than the garbage you tards make.
>>
File: 1464760898080.jpg (49 KB, 388x525) Image search: [Google]
1464760898080.jpg
49 KB, 388x525
>>339652316
Faggot
>>
>>339652034
A product of its time and interesting, but ultimately a bad game

I know that's a heretical thing to say, but from a combat perspective it just does so many things wrong; to like God Hand for its combat is the same as to like Resident Evil 1 for its movement controls IMO.

The game makes far too much of the combat's outcome a result not of the choices you made IN combat, but rather a result of the choices you made in menus OUTSIDE of combat. That's a big no-no.

Also, see my previous statement; it's too hard on mashers. The skill floor is too high. The game lacks a simplicity in its base combat which is necessary to make mastery of the system a reward rather than a chore.

That's not to say it's a bad game, just that it's a product of its time. If it had been made today it would rightly be shit on for an obtuse core combat system and poor skill grading.

It was a fun-loving, self-aware game, though, and that's worth a whole lot.
>>
File: NOTEVENONCE.jpg (101 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
NOTEVENONCE.jpg
101 KB, 700x700
>>339652454
Don't be a dumbass anon.
>>
File: dienworlds_screenshot.png (41 KB, 1024x660) Image search: [Google]
dienworlds_screenshot.png
41 KB, 1024x660
I just released a new version:

https://thetagames.itch.io/dienworlds
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-02+at+10.11.05).jpg (254 KB, 1936x1096) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-02+at+10.11.05).jpg
254 KB, 1936x1096
>>339652072
Got to this part, couldn't beat it, got bored, stopped playing.

Seems like every other game of its type.
>>
>>339640478
I would suggest trying to ignore your placeholder art. Improving placeholder art a really easy trap to fall into that wastes a lot of time.
Practicing your art techniques and making tools is great though.
>>
>>339652631
(freeware, by the way)
>>
File: firstpartymember.png (740 KB, 836x2684) Image search: [Google]
firstpartymember.png
740 KB, 836x2684
>>339651896
>>339652006
That's why it's in development.
>>
>>339652713
Go down the right side
But that level is changing because I've found people can't handle multiple rotating obstacles
>>
>>339652542
>a bad game
I should amend this, that comes across as really harsh.

A more honest statement would be "a combat system not worth emulating"

Any game as goofy as God Hand can never truly be BAD.
>>
>>339652580
Sorry, I let myself go
>>
File: samuel.png (20 KB, 384x1024) Image search: [Google]
samuel.png
20 KB, 384x1024
just finished coloring and shading all the new party members, then made the spritesheet for one of them.

most difficult spritesheet I ever did, fuck armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y
>>
File: Thomas the Dank Engine Mech.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Thomas the Dank Engine Mech.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>339643665
just wanna play with procedural animations like simple inverse kinematics and such
i know all the math; i've done it in garry's mod (webm related), but i don't know the best way to do it in game maker
>>
>>339652791

I like the fact that it consistently doesn't take itself seriously

Keep working on it!
>>
>>339652718
>Tfw shit at art

I'd rather do fluent stickmen rather than make stiff time consuming art. Would've studied digital arts but I saw the horrible revenue so I went for software engineering, doing pretty good with my salary so it's not all that bad.
>>
>>339648250
this looks fucking sick, good stuff dude
>>
File: end.png (711 KB, 824x1896) Image search: [Google]
end.png
711 KB, 824x1896
>>339653016
Jamie joins your party, keeping the promise of a more modest outfit, but that's as far as I am right now.
>>
>>339651830
Generic Tower Defense Survival game 2.0
>>
>>339653261
I like it!
>>
>>339651160
DO IT
>>
>>339648250
>Tony hawk X DMC

holy fuck take my money
>>
Guides to art?
>>
>>339653567
>Tony Hawk
I trust you saw the most recent progress..?

>>339637250
(I just realized both of my posts ended in 250...)

I figure that objectively, no melee-based game has ever been as CUHRAYZEE as a game where you backflip over a helicopter
>>
Been trying to make a JRPG for over a year and just can't get it off the ground. I have over a decade of experience with RPG Maker and a pretty good understanding of multiple programming languages but I can't settle on the type of game I want to make or what the plot will be. I used to come up with ideas easily but now its just like I have constant writer's block and nothing makes it go away no matter how much of a break I take from working on it.
>>
>>339652818
you should probably make his nose lines darker in the front view. Looks like a mask instead of a face
>>
>>339653921
>no matter how much of a break I take from working on it.
NO.

STOP THAT.

The only way to beat a block is to power through it. Just set yourself a target - mine is at least 1 sketch per day - and keep at it.

Eventually things will be better. Either that or you'll kill yourself. Either way, problem solved.
>>
>>339653734
google or go to /ic/
avoid Loomis
>>
File: samuelB.png (2 KB, 128x256) Image search: [Google]
samuelB.png
2 KB, 128x256
>>339654019
like this?
>>
>>339652876
wat is this?
>>
>>339654434
it's a mech i made.
it's got a wepaonized potato missile and whatnot, but the major thing about it is that it has locomotion. the chassis moves with some wobble and the feet are programmed to follow in a walking fashion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcgXXL6tm20

in game maker, i'm guessing i could just use the draw line width functions for now and approximate curves out of lines.
>>
File: 1464467666181.jpg (46 KB, 418x307) Image search: [Google]
1464467666181.jpg
46 KB, 418x307
>>339654383
much better
>>
>>339633805
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPzBh_sufKU
>>
>>339654726
I can't believe I'm saying this, but doing that kind of stuff might be much easier in Unity than Game Maker. Game Maker can do 3D, but it takes more work - while Unity by default does a fairly good job with letting a beginner make a 3D game.
>>
>>339635476
Make it in UE4 instead, it' s better + supports C++
>>
>>339654947
oh no; i don't intend to do it in 3d at first
the math is all 2d stuff after all
>>
File: sample1.png (48 KB, 1024x721) Image search: [Google]
sample1.png
48 KB, 1024x721
>making a rogue-lite in GMS
>kill me

jk I'm having fun. I'll make webm's of any power-ups you wanna see in action!
>>
>>339655797
Oh, then Game Maker would be perfect.
>>
File: 1212155162848.png (39 KB, 912x525) Image search: [Google]
1212155162848.png
39 KB, 912x525
>>
>>339655895
>huge coat
>boots
>hood
>no pants
What the fuck are you doing? You're better than this stupid shit anon.
>>
>>339655895
I disagree with >>339656059
I like the outfit. The boots look great.
>>
File: great boot.jpg (13 KB, 638x686) Image search: [Google]
great boot.jpg
13 KB, 638x686
>>339656203
>Waifufags
>>
>>339656434
Well, they do look different from different angles in his spritesheet - he could work on that.

Rightmost on the top, and 2nd on bottom look pretty good.
>>
>>339655178
>UE4
>for indie
you lend me the money for the license when the game is finished?
>>
Was thinking of something inspired by Dwarf Fortress for Android...
Could I use Eclipse as a IDE?
Help /v/, I'm Java - trash.
>>
>>339656662
If he would add pants or remove the coat/hood and replace them with something no bigger than a tee shirt it would be passable, but right now it's a clusterfuck.
>>
>>339656726
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/ue4-is-free

This is from March last year
>>
>>339656763
Even if Toady somehow miraculously simplified the controls of DF, it still would require a lot of keys and menus. How do you plan to do something even close to that for a phone?
>>
I wish these threads had some code or a unique word in the OP so i can filter it to go to top. i always miss them
>>
Post music from your game, anons guess what genre it is.
>>
>>339657381
I said inspired, not a direct port!
And I have no idea, my GUI is kinda clunky at the moment.
>>
>>339657550
>Ca 't make music

It's some borrowed shit from someone in sound cloud haha
>>
>>339658220
If you like music you can make music. Have you even tried?
>>
>>339658321
Yeah, didnt went well
>>
>>339657812
What does your game entail?

It very well could work. I guess just use touch screen to be able to select stuff as much as possible.
>>
>>339648250
Someone send this to Best Friends
>>
>>339658615
Basically, right now it's about simply being a god, and keeping your ""people"" safe from other cults...
By making fortresses. It's more like a test demo right now, to test mechanics, the actual story is almost non existent, of course.
There's only a ""DF"" mode right now , not a Adventurer or Legends mode yet.
>>
>>339655869
well here's a low quality gif.. first capture was too large of webm for 4chan.
>>
>>339658431
How long did you try?
>>
File: toptierqualitygamegif.gif (3 MB, 960x541) Image search: [Google]
toptierqualitygamegif.gif
3 MB, 960x541
>>339659558
didn't upload? weird.
>>
learning about UE 4.12 and upgrading my broken project and tutorial followalongs to it. Not gonna bother with most features except maybe baking Blueprints, just getting really settled in with it finally and getting my way around. Working on using more C++ and then finish a "personal" project. Had the idea of finishing something like a single Mario Party-like minigame but one that actually has some depth/strategy/skill and can be played for more than 30 seconds.
>>
File: kick.gif (61 KB, 328x316) Image search: [Google]
kick.gif
61 KB, 328x316
>>339655895
nice kick.
>>
>>339656964
> When you ship a game or application, you pay a 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first $3,000 per product, per quarter.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""free"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
do you guys update unity every time? i noticed that every update it usually breaks something (sometimes small, sometimes big) with my project, that i've stopped updating altogether.
>>
>>339660565
Unity also have you pay them after you make a certain amount of money.
>>
>>339660592
Yeah, I only just noticed an update break something (textures tiling on walls instead of stretching, which should be a default easy thing I shouldn't have to fucking worry about)
Outside of that, it has only added small neat stuff and fixed bugs I may or may not run into
>>
>>339660690
not a percentage and not a quarterly basis. you just need either a pro license (75$ per month) or buy it for good for 1500$ which is only required if you made 100 000$ so it's nothing.
>>
what do you think of when you hear this tune?

https://clyp.it/em3qxahh
>>
>>339661749
cute !
>>
>>339660592
Unless you're working on a big commercial product with others or if you know exactly what you need to finish and you're not far off, then I don't see the need not to update. I keep getting cooler and cooler features in Unreal and the incompatibilities are usually small. Usually anything they broke they will mention in that update and it's best to stay with the most recent version if you can help it, provided it's not something that completely destroys your game. I can't say how many bugfixes Unity gets but I'm a novice and already I've run into 2-3 bugfixes in the engine that have been implemented since 4.8. Maybe even more I didn't know about.
>>
>>339661749
I'm thinking carnival nightime
>>
>>339660592
Does GM have this problem? The old versions (5.3 - 7) were more or less backwards compatible with projects. It was great.
>>
File: 1447009127984.jpg (21 KB, 228x171) Image search: [Google]
1447009127984.jpg
21 KB, 228x171
Is Terry right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDbfCjkyjG4#t=8h12m14s
>>
Almost got GameMaker installed. Gonna make a platformer and make millions on steam.
>>
File: MM Opening.webm (866 KB, 816x624) Image search: [Google]
MM Opening.webm
866 KB, 816x624
I really need to work on this more
>>
You really think a serious game dev is going to come to the arsehole of the internet to discuss his progress?

So that 'V' malcontents can spew bile on his efforts?
>>
>>339665354
post your shitty game so i can mock you
>>
>>339640198
>Height
>Reach
>>
File: 1464720198678.jpg (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1464720198678.jpg
35 KB, 600x600
>>339651472
I do all that already and I still don't do jack shit. I don't really see programming as a chore, I really enjoy it very much.
Literally what do, famaladingdong?
>>
looking for some advice here
I'm trying to make something like a queue (first-in, first-out) of Vector2s in Unity C#
Is there a convenient way to do this? Javascript arrays seem to have popping and pushing, but C# doesn't. Do I just need to use an array and shift everything up by one manually each time I add a value?
>>
>>339666554
Is this helpful?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7977ey2c%28v=vs.110%29.aspx
>>
>>339666554
Yeah. You could create your own Pop and Push methods in order to make the code more readable.
You can use pre-increment and post-decrement

static public int co=0;
static public Vector2 thing[];

void Push {
Thing[++co]=Vector2Value;
}
void Pop {
Vector2Value=Thing[co--]
}

>This is not real c# code, just an outline
>So far have not had to use arrays in unity c#
>>
>>339652246

Agdg sounds like a bunch of assholes.
>>
>>339664557
lol I didn't know he livestreamed
>>
just like make game
>>
>>339666554
using System.Collections.Generic;

Queue<Vector2> myQ = new Queue<Vector2>();

General rule of thumb:
Only use arrays when you know how much items it will have and that it will never change.
Otherwise use a List/Queue/Stack.
>>
File: SpeedStorm.png (2 MB, 1808x1056) Image search: [Google]
SpeedStorm.png
2 MB, 1808x1056
Rate my sonar shader /v/
https://i.gyazo.com/95a25502fbed0f1d0caff15d5dd52fb0.mp4
>>
>>339652631
>ĐiệnWorldsInstructionsReadThisBecauseThisGameHasNoTutorial.pdf
based
>>
>>339670353
Very cool, I like it
>>
>>339664557
/v/ gets

B T F O
T F O B
F O B T
O B T F
>>
>>339664557
Is this Henry Rollins' autistic brother?
>>
>>339659724
Flight looks cool. What else will be in the game, other than the spaceship and powerups?
>>
>>339648250

I really want to play this.
>>
>>339669829
thanks, bud
I had that line, but not the "using System.Collections.Generic;"
>>
>>339635476
Well Unity supports C#, which is an easier Object-Oriented language than C++. If you know C++, and you have a grasp of component based systems then you can literally pick up the quirks of C# in a week flat, to the degree necessary for Unity anyway.
>>
>>339671507
I am not watching all 8 hours of that. Why does /v/ get BTFO in it?
>>
>>339673142
the timestamp is in the link, it's at 8 hours 12 minutes 14 seconds.
>>
File: 1452898408909.png (9 KB, 320x562) Image search: [Google]
1452898408909.png
9 KB, 320x562
I don't know how to code at all.

Thus, my game doesn't even exist.

I would love to use Unity and C#, but again, no coding knowledge whatsoever.
>>
Do you think RPG maker is worth it? I've read the new edition has switched over to javascript, which I know like the back of my hand.
>>
>>339664557
>he starts stalking this girl on twitter at the end
>>
File: garbanzo'shat.png (21 KB, 1013x803) Image search: [Google]
garbanzo'shat.png
21 KB, 1013x803
I'm nearly done working on something that resembles what I want the battle system to look like.
>>
File: juno.png (10 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
juno.png
10 KB, 960x720
i'm unefficiently polishing things around in my free time

also i have a trailer out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlWOEiRA2gY

and a demo here
lobsterwingdelusions.com/game/
>>
>>339674528

Garflondo is that you
>>
>>339673279
As long as you're willing to start small, Unity's C# and general tutorials are easy enough to follow along with.

There's even small projects that they have video tutorials for complete with premade assets as well.

Now if only art were as simple.
>>
>>339673224
Well, he's wrong. Using an engine isn't plagiarism.

Is using a compiler to translate higher-level languages to assembly "plagiarism" as well?
>>
File: 1451298133243.png (74 KB, 655x657) Image search: [Google]
1451298133243.png
74 KB, 655x657
>>339675060
He wrote his own compiler because he is white.
>>
>>339633805
Been busy with work, latest thing I've done is make a sword with a dagger built into the handle, currently working on making a spider girl who'll be the love interest
>>
>>339675153
holy shit
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-02+at+12.31.42).png (11 KB, 321x436) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-02+at+12.31.42).png
11 KB, 321x436
>>339675007
That's Garbanzo, and here he is with is friend Feebis.
>>
>>339675623
goldmine
https://twitter.com/templeos
>>
>>339648250
please make it multiplayer.
>>
>>339673279
>I would love to use Unity and C#
why

UE4 and Blueprints, it's dragging and dropping nodes and you hardly have to write code. Learned to use nodes is useful especially for material shaders and other things. Epic has good tutorials on their youtube. Blueprints are literally made so designers can implement functions they want without having to know how to code (but it teaches you to think in code anyway even if you don't know it)
>>
>>339656059
m..maybe she likes to hang the mud flaps out to dry in the breeze.
>>
File: output3.webm (3 MB, 1242x570) Image search: [Google]
output3.webm
3 MB, 1242x570
Been doing a lot of client work recently, but I'm setting up a smoke system for our guns in our team's game. Smoke will come from the actual hot areas of firearms (piston on AK-type, gas blocks on AR-type, etc.).

Live demo here: http://troy.design/testing/build.html
>>
>>339648250
When I can pre-order this?
>>
>>339675783

What the fuck

And he livestreams every single day

Is this a very elaborate meme?
>>
>>339660565
I always find it weird that paying Steam/Google/Apple 30% to sell the game is just the cost of business, but 5% to give you practically everything needed to make the game in the first place is considered some terrible scam.
>>
File: skeletonUnspawnAnims.png (734 KB, 2746x814) Image search: [Google]
skeletonUnspawnAnims.png
734 KB, 2746x814
made some more animations for the skeletons
>>
>>339677228
wew spoiler that shit, anon

looks good
>>
>>339675783
>always is talking about CIA
he's not a very big guy, though
>>
>>339675732
This is cute.
>>
>>339674929
Does color play a role as a gameplay mechanic later in your game?
>>
>>339637250
fuck me this game gets better and better every time i see it.
>>
File: mimic.png (1008 KB, 2944x944) Image search: [Google]
mimic.png
1008 KB, 2944x944
>>339677228
also I made this mimic for another game I started a while ago.
>>
>>339678154

its more of a secret-ish addition, you can beat the game without ever seeing any colors
>>
File: dab.png (916 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dab.png
916 KB, 1920x1080
>>339677228
Those first two poses are hilarious. Great job homie.

I made this just to fuck with a client of mine.
>>
>>339675943
there's lumberyard too which has the same functions.
>>
>>339678339
what's the point of that?
>I'mma pretend to be a noose and kill whoever tries to kill themselves hehe I'm so smart
>>
File: Portal.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Portal.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>339679050
it's a save point usually. You get close to the hanged guy and make him explode into a death sigil that lets you save and teleport.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 103

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.