[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Albert's Odyssey on Saturn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 250px-Eldeanfront.jpg (55 KB, 250x421) Image search: [Google]
250px-Eldeanfront.jpg
55 KB, 250x421
What's the general opinion of this game? Just started playing it, seems very Final Fantasy-ish.
>>
>>339605198
It's average at best and bog standard all the way down the line. Not bad but you'll never have any desire to play it again.

But it's somewhat rare and valuable and barely anyone played it back in the day, which in jrpg fandom means you need to pretend it's "le true hidden gem."
>>
>>339605198
If I could get a ROM of this game that actually works with SSF, I'd tell you. Unfortunately, most of them are pretty shitty and don't.
>>
File: summon-night-5-mailer-1.jpg (237 KB, 1280x814) Image search: [Google]
summon-night-5-mailer-1.jpg
237 KB, 1280x814
>>339605198

>Working Designs

Yeah speaking of which I just got my Summon Night 5 LE. I'm pretty surprised at how much care went into this package.

Say what you will about Working Designs and its spiritual successor but they care a lot about people who want to connect games.
>>
great game. it's a classic working designs translation where it's self-aware...but not to the point where it's snarky and pretentious.

not as good as the lunar games...but a really solid experience. the writing will make you chuckle here and there. but the combat doesn't bring anything unique to the table...and the same goes for the world and story. but it's just solid with very few issues.

if you like old jrpgs...it's not one of the very best...but it's still a great game and so much better than most of the jrpg crap that comes out nowadays.
>>
>>339605542
this game is one of the few Saturn games that emulates fine all the way through. I've beaten it on emulator because I traded my Saturn games away years ago. dragon force is another that runs fine.

wish I could get panzer dragoon saga to run. :(
>>
>>339607097
Ha, ironically I actually got that to run on SSF. Was a bitch finding a good ROM for it, too
>>
>>339607097

I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga and its pretty overrated. Its a very average RPG and if it weren't for its rarity, it wouldn't even be discussed.
>>
>>339607425
still, I'd like to play it myself. I used to have it. I probably traded it in to a game store for like 25-30 bucks. I got about 10 hours in and wasn't impressed. but I'd like to give it another go someday.

I wonder if the price is steep because it's not easy to emulate all the way through (beyond the rarity of course)?
>>
>>339607403
in case anyone is wondering the one I used from romulation worked fine 100%
>>
>>339607425
This is true of both PDS and AO.

But of the two, PDS is still much better.

If anyone wants to play another game that suffers from this syndrome, grab the 4DO emulator and play Lucienne's Quest.
>>
I enjoyed it up until the final third of the game, where boss HP was inflated to incredible levels of tedium. I didn't really grind (but I didn't overly run away - I just fought enemies and leveled up normally), but the latter-area bosses sometimes took over an hour to beat (75 minutes is what I recall for at least two), and that was just nicking away at them while they cycled through two attacks (a party attack and a physical attack - ALWAYS just two attacks).

It's a beautiful looking game with a funny script, but the balance in the game ultimately forced me to drop it.
>>
I used to be a huge WD fan. Then had major nostalgia for them for a while. I still appreciate them for releasing a catalog of mostly solid games we otherwise probably wouldn't have gotten.

But I have mixed feelings about their localizations these days.

On one hand, they were still one of the better companies back then. They had translations that were high quality by the standards of the time. No Engrish, not otherwise incoherent, not overly simplified. This alone put them ahead of 95% of their contemporary jrpg localizers.

But on the other hand, a lot of the comedy is bad camp, the pop culture references are painfully dated now, and they just kinda destroyed the original tone of most of the games. At this point I'd rather play a more faithful fan translation of something like Lunar 1-2.
>>
>>339609009
>But on the other hand, a lot of the comedy is bad camp, the pop culture references are painfully dated now
Yeah I think Vagrant Bandits could have done without the Triumph the Insult Comedy Dog references.

Though I admit some of the silly dialog in Dragon Force made me laugh. I'm half and half on "Ghaleon's Coming Out Party."
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.