[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to get into Dragon Quest series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
File: unnamed (1).png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).png
2 MB, 1440x900
hi /v/ i plan to play all the dragon quest series i can get right now, i have a phone and 3ds so i think i can play from 1 to 9, except 7 and 8

what are some things i should know before jumping in? also how confusing is the game without walkthrough?

should i play it in chronological order or is there any preferable playing order?
>>
File: 1464360991830.jpg (181 KB, 827x832) Image search: [Google]
1464360991830.jpg
181 KB, 827x832
>>339503575
Either start with 1 or 4.
Just remember that the games don't hold your hand so be prepared to wander around exploring or to talk to everyone to know where to go.
Don't tell Amos he's a monster or you'll lose him forever.
Marry Debora.
>>
>>339503575
Play 3 and then stop.
>>
>>339504000
>Marry Debora
Mein nigger
>>
Try chronological order but if the first games don't appeal to you put them on hold and try at least IV and V before giving up on the series.
>>
File: Dragon_Quest_Where_To_Start.jpg (4 MB, 1550x7472) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Quest_Where_To_Start.jpg
4 MB, 1550x7472
>>339503575

A guide, since this question comes up almost daily.
>>
>>339503575
Only the first game is loosely mash A to win.

The rest of the series will push your pooper in during the final boss. II is most notorious for this.

III is a lot of work. Consider doing a few class changes before you face the final boss because stats and skills transfer over. It's just a matter of the order you do changes.

IV is fun. When you're Torneko, ditch work once you're sold a cautery sword and buy it as a customer of the store. Have your wife stock them so you can farm the fuck out of them and keep 'em in storage. Yeah, it doesn't make sense but you'll want that big bank in the climax.

V is basically Pokemon for a while in terms of your party until the end. Except you can get married to advance the plot. Ignore the guilt trips.

VI is basically III but with canon characters. The extra ending isn't worth it, so don't bother unless you need a good laugh
>>
I hope you enjoy the series op. I started with dqm on the GBC when I was a kid.
>>
>>339505586

>III is a lot of work.
its actually less work than almost any other class based game I can think of. You could beat the game only changing your classes once. And even maxing everything only needs 2-3 class changes. You do more work in the first 5 hours of Final Fantasy V or Tactics.
>>
>>339504648
woah thanks a lot mate!
will try them soon!

>>339504000
>>339504309
>>339505586
i will try playing I or IV first and see which one would suit me better, i do love exploring though but i'm afraid older games would have less storytelling like final fantasy
>>
File: DQ1 Hero's Finisher.webm (3 MB, 466x350) Image search: [Google]
DQ1 Hero's Finisher.webm
3 MB, 466x350
>>339503575
>except 7 and 8
not for long, lad, not for long.
I recommend going in bursts:
IV > V > VI
III = IX
I > II

Start with whichever looks more attractive to you. Going with the Zenith saga games (IV to VI) are all available on the DS and they're all rather great, but they're very long each, about 5-7 days each worth of gaming. These excel at their storytelling and each game is somewhat different. The chronological order is VI > IV > V, but the gameplay mechanics of IV are still those of an NES games (Alena and Ragnar are exclusively attack bots, and learn no skills, for instance). V has a very very fun pokemon-esque mechanic with the monsters (Slime Knight tightest nigga) and VI has class changing between the characters.

I & II are very dated, but they're rather short. Play these for the history behind them and don't expect much of these. You can beat them both over a weekend if you use a guide or a cheat to ease the grinding. Because these bitches expect you to grind a lot.

III is the ultimate retro RPG experience it's very free in what you can do and not all that very hard, gameplay is somewhat dated but still solid. IX is like 3 to the 10th power, but it's kinda short and is based around a now-dead multiplayer and most post-game content is unobtainable now that online for DS games is dead.
>>
>>339506039
A lot of people forget dq3 was released just two months after ff1. DQ3 was superior in every way, including story.
>>
File: 298398213112.jpg (40 KB, 364x314) Image search: [Google]
298398213112.jpg
40 KB, 364x314
>I want to get into ____ series. Where should I start?

The first game. From every franchise. This shouldn't even be a question. You should always start at the beggining, then work your way up to present day. It will make you respect the older games and appreciate the newer ones.

>But what about remakes/remasters?
If you truly want to be a fan, you should play the originals before their respective remake. If you don't really care about the series to being with, it's fine to play remasters in place of their respective games.

For example, Pokemon. If you've never played a Pokemon game and you TRULY feel like you want to give the franchise your best, you should play it like this:

>RBY-->GSC-->RSE-->FRLG-->DPPt-->HGSS-->BW-->B2W2-->XY-->ORAS-->SM

If you don't really like Pokemon to begin with, and just want the "feel" for what Pokemon represents:

>FRLG-->HGSS-->ORAS-->Pt-->B2W2-->XY-->SM

So if someone could translate this into Dragon Quest format for OP, it would help him out
>>
>>339504648
we know next to nothing about XI why is it there
>>
How is the android port of V?

That one's always been my favorite, but the DS version is still pricey and I would like to be able to play it on the go. It's kinda tricky to emulate last I tried, so if the android version is good I may pick that up.
>>
>>339506689
If you don't mind touch controls its OK.
>>
>>339506689

Its basically the DS game ported to smartphones. So lackluster touch controls, but all the same content.
>>
>>339506569

I agree with you about this for almost any series. Except Metroid, where the NES original would make most people quit the series.
>>
If ix was released on android iod with online multi, would you buy it? $20 price though.
>>
>>339507262

Probably not. I don't want to support smartphones at all and they're the only DQ games I haven't bought.
>>
File: 1303071682290.jpg (25 KB, 324x291) Image search: [Google]
1303071682290.jpg
25 KB, 324x291
>>339504648
>cell phone port
>best version
>>
Hey is there a translation of the PS2 version of V? I heard there was one in the works
>>
>>339507024
Playing remakes is acceptable, and Zero Mission is dope. Example nullified.
>>
>>339507892
As a supporter of v ps2 you gotta take some things with a grain of salt.
>>
>>339507960
Yes and it works on real consoles too. Patch it yourself as older versions had a few bad bugs.
>>
>>339507960
Just as a heads up, the PS2 version of V has different dungeon layouts for some reason. The DS version keeps the original layouts. I prefer the DS version but both are fine.
>>
>>339507892

There's no good version of DQIV. You either get a smartphone port with party chat, DS version without party chat or the NES game without party chat or improvements.
>>
>>339503575

they go with trilogies, 1-2-3 are interwined between each other, then 4-5-6, though it's mostly stuff like references rather than proper sequel stuff 7,8 and 9 are mostly unrelated

the first few games are honestly primitive as fuck, the first dragon quest doesn't even let you have a party and every fight is 1 vs 1, dragon quest 4 is when it started to resemble more modern RPG with thing like an actual plot and parties which is why it's the one that got remaked on the DS first

5 is considered a classic thanks to it's engaging plot story about coming of age which is unlikely any other rpg

then there is 8 which was made by level 5 so it's honestly one of the prettiest looking jrpg ever made

the one on the DS (dragon quest 9) is ok but most of the postgame content had to be downloaded through the now defund nintendo online system so you can't access it without playing on an emulator anymore which sucks and also it's an okayish game

so basicaly pick one between 4,5 or 8

if you are a job system nuts you might want to give a try to 7 even though i personaly hate it
>>
>>339508441
https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-iv-party-chat-restoration.381078/
>>
>>339507995
Zero Mission may as well be a different game entirely.
>>
>>339508562

That's what makes it a good remake.
>>
>>339508562
thank god
>>
Who is the female warrior supposed to be in the fan arts with the cleric? Is that supposed a genderbent version of the Protag from 1 or something?
>>
>>339508828
Pretty sure that's just the female Warrior class from DQ3, assuming that's what you're talking about.
>>
>>339509081
oh, okay.
>>
1 primitive
2 primitive
3 best overall DQ but still primitive
4 best characters and music
5 has no weakness, the definitive DQ if you like 16 bit style
6 very weak but still a dragon quest game
7 extremely long, dont start here
8 complete rehash of everything before, but it did nothing wrong
9 mmo lite with 3d and stupid villain, only play if you really want more
10+ nfi

rational people start with 4 or 5 but if you liked them immediately go back and bask in the glory of 3
>>
>>339509148
oh and whatever you do, DO NOT play the horrible fucking DS versions

"low res 3d" ruins what makes these games good, its just unbearable

8 gets a pass because at this point the "3d" is properly incorporated into the visual and control design of the game
>>
>>339507262
No, that game is nothing but autistic grinding.
>>
File: 6873493.png (1 MB, 800x1107) Image search: [Google]
6873493.png
1 MB, 800x1107
>>339509148

>DQ 1
>Primitive
For being such a 'primitive' game, its still one of the top 10 NES games. Even better than its sequel in my opinion.
>>
>>339509706
>yfw its canon the hero never puts her down.
>>
>>339509148

Whatever you do OP, ignore this post.
>>
>>339509328
What a dumb fucking post.
The DS remakes have so much extra content and improvements that make the old games obsolete.
>>
>>339503575
My first was the snes version of V, maybe try the DS version.
>>
3 is a good entry point, though if you want something more story based, go with 5.
>>
1-3, 4, 5, or 8 are good places to start probably
>>
>>339508519

Wait for the 3DS version of 7. They streamlined a lot of the boring/lengthy puzzle mechanics so it doesnt feel like a slog.
>>
>>339509806

I kinda agree though. The 3D environments were annoying to navigate in some areas. Also, I'm not partial to the post Dragon Warrior 7 translation, especially the spell names and the insistence on giving every character an accent.
>>
if you want something similar, try 7th Dragon series, they're basically futuristic Dragon Quest 3 on steroids
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 234x215) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 234x215
Is there a DQ game that can even fucking touch Durragoon questo fy? And I'm not just talking about the SNES version with perfect pacing, and amazing monster recruitment system. I'm not even talking about the mobile phone version with perfect pacing. Amazing monster recruitment, and the ability to play anywhere. No I'm talking about the ps2 remake with perfect pacing, amazing monster recruitment, orchestrated ost, and Deborah mod which Aldo includes the two canon fodder monsters from the D's remake, with HD texture packs.
>>
>>339509328
>he doesn't like the cool animated enemies
>he doesn't want party chat or all the new content
>>
>>339503575
Just play 8 and forget the series.

The rest are mostly trash
>>
>>339511092

Source on this? I would seriously replay the game again just for this content.
>>
>>339511092
>No I'm talking about the ps2 remake with perfect pacing, amazing monster recruitment, orchestrated ost, and Deborah mod which Aldo includes the two canon fodder monsters from the D's remake, with HD texture packs.
Is this even real?
>>
File: lewd_eyes.jpg (96 KB, 1268x709) Image search: [Google]
lewd_eyes.jpg
96 KB, 1268x709
>>339503575
8 is the best one but you may want to try 5 and 9 first to get a good grip on the rules
>>
>>339503575
I - SNES
II - SNES
III - SNES or GBC (SNES is better overall, GBC has a couple more extras.)
IV - DS or Mobile (Mobile version has Party Chat restored, is otherwise identical to DS version.)
V - DS or PS2 (DS has an additional waifu to marry, PS2 has better graphics.)
VI - DS
VII - PS1 (3DS version isn't in English, not yet anyway)
VIII - PS2 (Mobile version is gutted, 3DS version not in English.)
IX - DS
X - lol never ever
>>
>>339512429

No, it doesn't.
>>
>>339512975

Stupid sexy dwarves.
>>
File: 1398691113755.jpg (16 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
1398691113755.jpg
16 KB, 500x326
>>339513470
>>
>>339513664
Meh.
Call me when they localize Joker 3/Monsters 1&2.
>>
>>339514164
don't you see?
This is another step closer to that.
>>
>>339514164
Please god. The 1+2 translation for psx will never be done anyway
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.