[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
17 years old but still best 4x. Why hasn't anyone improved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Alpha_Centauri_cover.jpg (25 KB, 256x324) Image search: [Google]
Alpha_Centauri_cover.jpg
25 KB, 256x324
17 years old but still best 4x.

Why hasn't anyone improved on it since?
>>
le alpha centauri has good gameplay maymay
>>
>>339468948
Better than most games nowdays. Show me a single 4x game which features the ability to alter rainfall patterns and turn your lands into lush green fields and turn enemy farmlands into barren desert.

SMAC might have had it in a very basic way but the game mechanic itself was great. games nowdays dont even have a basic raise hill - something which people could do even in ancient times (raising mounds)

It had a unit design screen with great depth, far surpassing most 4x.

It had great story, great AI for the time (better than anything Firaxis made since)
>>
>>339469393
This. Firaxis are pants on head retarded in their refusal to simply rehash what they already perfected years ago.
>>
I want to replay this game. How do i get güd? Tips pls.
>>
>>339470807
Like all 4x, science is power. tech up and life will be easier.

Keep a defensive force so you wont be seen as an easy prey.
>>
>>339470807
Play as Deirdre and do as much pro-planet social policy you can. While at the same time rush the Weather Paradigm and build boreholes wherever you can on solar or mineral resources, and take no steps beyond social policy to reduce your enviromental damage.

The planet will send Mind Worms at you for the damage, and that's what you want. You'll still have the 10-70% chance to convert them and gain a free unit that is always potent, and if you run out of minerals to support them: you can always disband the excess to fuel other units, buildings, or projects.
>>
Daily reminder that you never reach the technology level to even plant a forest in Civ 5.
>>
>tfw this game would be denounced as SJW garbage by neo-/v/
>>
>>339470807
Start with any of the alien races. Fuck shit up.
>>
>>339471425
sounds like a really unfun way to play the game
>min maxers
>>
>>339470807

I only play multiplayer and against Transcend AI. I lose all the time but I get some really good lessons every match. I'm about to go to sleep but I can drop some knowledge beforehand.

here's lesson number one. Make a lot of cities. Many many many more cities than you would think would be ideal. If cities share a row of tiles between them that's totally fine, and often encouraged. Mindworm spawn is reduced the closer your cities are together, so unless you're Cha dawn and play for mass worms, or you're Morgan and using your shit planet rating to farm them for energy, less worms are better.

Lesson 2: Supply crawlers, supply crawlers, supply crawlers. If you're asking "Is this enough supply crawlers?", chances are you need more. If you have a strategically important city that has no access to good resources, have other cities make supply crawlers, rebase them at the important city and then put them somewhere to get resources. Distance is a non-issue, and they have no upkeep so go crazy with them.

3: Forests are your friends! By midgame, forests are some of the better improvements for a balanced tile, and drilling to aquifier nearby only makes them better! While i'm on the subject, don't shy away from Formers. Make lots of them. Worst case scenario, you build a new base and host them there to free up support in a different city.

4: Social policies are an important choice. Don't just seek to just pick one and settle. Some factions are meant to use a specific policy all game (such as yang and police state) but many other policies can change as the situation requires. If you're playing Domai and you suddenly find yourself in a conflict, there's no reason to not consider switching to Fundamentalism for the bonus to morale.
>>
>>339472459
Fucking casual detected, go back to overwatch.
>>
>>339472459
That strategy isn't particularly minmaxy. It'll work against the AI because the AI won't just spam trance/anti-psi troops and won't compete for weather paradigm most of the time.
>>
>>339472542
Social policies also tend to dictate who you can be friends with. A green policy tends to ensure Deirdre will treaty will you and Miriam will vendetta anyone who isn't fundamentalist.
>>
How in the world did it happen that EA has the rights to SMAC IP? Like seriously what the fuck is up with that.

And since Civ VI was announced, how casual do you think it will be, worse or better than V?
>>
>>339472542

CONT.

5: PROBE TEAMS. Those are the most important words you'll ever read in the game. If your economy can support them, you should be making them. Many of them. Factions that cannot efficiently out-tech the competition must consistently rely on probe teams to bridge the gap. They are also the only units that can fight invading probe teams as they try to attack your city, so they're as good defensively as they are offensively.

If you've never messed with probe teams, give them a go. They do a lot. They can steal tech, money, general intelligence, cause rioting, hamper production (Imagine setting back your enemy's secret project 10 turns and sniping it from them!) and steal units on the field. they can also steal cities for a fee, but unless you're making fat dollars you'll most likely not be able to do that often.

Lastly, don't forget to pop the landing pods and explore as much as possible. Those pods can be a make-or-break discovery for certain tough games, where having a buidling or technology earlier than normal can give you a massive edge on your opponents.

There's plenty of other stuff but I'm tired as hell and can't eloquently express them right now so hopefully some of this helps.
>>
>>339470807
I'm not very good at this game, but try getting forests. Unlike in some OTHER game, these are okay at start, but become tremendously greater as the game progresses.
Go green.
>>
>>339472291
I didn't see anybody mention it until you did. Perhaps you are the real neo-/v/.
>>
>>339472835
Worse, unless they fix it with an expansion pack.
>>
>>339472856
>>339472542
Interesting info, thank you. I'll put it into practice.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.