[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Snapmap is shit >We will never get real modding for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: VrCgQA0.jpg (81 KB, 586x900) Image search: [Google]
VrCgQA0.jpg
81 KB, 586x900
>Snapmap is shit
>We will never get real modding for the game

It hurts
>>
Just play Doom...
>>
I can't stop listening to the OST for this game
>>
>>339440383

Why can't we hope for to have the new games that come out be able to entertain us like the old ones?

That's like Call of Pripyat having no modding whatsoever and saying just play Shadow of Chernobyl
>>
Maybe later they want Snapmap to be successful first it's important on console
>>
>>339440790
I can't stand listening to this OST
>>
>>339440383
modding IS how I play doom
>>
>>339439851
I was actually really impressed with the level of shit you CAN do in snapmap
>>
>>339441492

It would be a lot more amazing if Snapmap wasn't limited by underpowered consoles in how much shit you can put into a level

I want a PC exclusive Snapmaps to be a thing
>>
>>339441678
I just want dedicated servers on PC multiplayer, it's all I want for this game to stay alive because it has so much potential if they just fixed a few things.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8SyOhqk1I
>>
File: Prinny.jpg (131 KB, 713x827) Image search: [Google]
Prinny.jpg
131 KB, 713x827
did somebody say "dood", dood?
>>
File: 1363741091351.gif (929 KB, 135x180) Image search: [Google]
1363741091351.gif
929 KB, 135x180
>>339441946

I know it's a joke video, but it's still depressing
>>
>>339439851
I've actually played quite a few great maps via Snapmap so far. No idea if it'll last, but so far I'm enjoying it more than I expected.
>>
>>339439851
snapmap could be good if they let you actually draw in sectors rather than be limited to prefab rooms and bump up the monster limit even if it costs some eyecandy
>>
File: 1406563927984.gif (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1406563927984.gif
27 KB, 200x200
>>339441946
>Some snapmaps are on par with custom wads!
>>
I bet it'd be possible to game the system into spawning that many revenants.
if there's an encounter that adds like 2 revenants, make a loop that triggers 50,000 times. like when the player spawns, add 1 to a count. Tell the system to trigger the encounter each time the count increases. on encounter end, spawn the revenant encounter again and add 1 to the count each time up to 50,000. it wouldn't be all the revenants all the time, but there would be a continuous stream of them.
>>
>>339443025
The 12 monster at once limit isn't even that big of a deal. Enemies are much faster and more aggressive in this than the older games, and having a ton of enemies at once would be a clusterfuck. Especially with hell knights/barons/pinkies and their affinity for rushing you.
>>
>>339441295
This
>>
>>339443348
This, enemy spam doesn't fit the new doom, serious sam is better for that
>>
>>339443348
yeah they made each enemy more effective but the encounters are still bland compared to the original games and it's a complete joke that serious sam games can put hundreds of enemies on a screen and still run fine
Doom like other modern games is all about control and restricting what the player can do
>>
>>339443945
>encounters are still bland compared to the older games
Bullshit. The older games consisted of twitch shooting imps and zombies before they could get a shot off and circle strafing around everything else while dodging slow moving projectiles and hitscan faggotry. The only enemies that were ever in danger of reaching you were pinkies and lost souls, because everything else was slow as shit. It was those relatively simple mechanics that necessitated a high enemy count to make it challenging, because individual enemies were a joke. In the new game the enemies are much faster and more agile, and deal out greater punishment. You actually have to use the terrain to your advantage rather than circle strafing everything to death. If you find the new encounters more bland than you've got a warped sense of what is exciting.
>>
of all the games that should have shipped with a level editor it was this game. oh well.
>>
>>339444617
but it did?
>>
>>339444617
It's such a waste. There is serious potential here, but the lack of dedicated servers and true mod support is keeping anyone from accessing it.
>>
Snapmap succeeds at created game mechanics and customizability in that gameplay FOR CONSOLES but from a PC perspective its incredibly unintuitive and just shit. Thats just talking about gameplay mechanics, the actual map construction is why its awful because that is fucking shit.
>>
I know the original Doom games are known for the plethora of wads and other goodies made for it, but that's because they are relatively easy to make. Has any recent 3D game gotten anything close to that level of support? Doom 3 sure as hell didn't. People act like with mod tools Doom 4 would be getting as much shit as the older games. I doubt it would have gotten much worthwhile.
>>
File: DoomWADS.png (3 MB, 1543x5500) Image search: [Google]
DoomWADS.png
3 MB, 1543x5500
>>339439851
Doom 1\2 are still viable, my friend.
>>
>>339445423
They dont get that much support because nowadays they have gigantic multi million dollar budgets so they dont get completely turned into basically open source projects like Doom did. Doom is basically an idie game by today's standards, the medium has evolved a lot. If they seriously released the "source code" or whatever it is and made the game completely open people would mod the shit out of it like they did with Skyrim
>>
>>339444456
This. The old enemies were dumb as shit. New DOOM is superior in every way when it comes to AI.
>>
I can barely make a box in Radiant, but snapmap let me make a whole map.

If only you didn't need a MA in Architecture to get anything done in a real map editor.
>>
>>339445423
Off the top of my head I can think of Half Life 2 only, but I'm only thinking about shooters.

>>339445798
Doom got away with its stupid as shit AI by creative map design. Every map that was just a fuck load of enemies usually sucks.
>>
File: 1464617588058.png (53 KB, 905x442) Image search: [Google]
1464617588058.png
53 KB, 905x442
>>339443106
>Some snapmaps are on par with custom wads!

I know you're quoting some dumb fuck but this legitimately made me mad.

I'm legitimately okay with SnapMap being an option in the same way Doom has Oblige but fucking hell let us have the actual SDK you cunts.
>>
>>339444456
>It was those relatively simple mechanics that necessitated a high enemy count to make it challenging, because individual enemies were a joke

Or they could just have made individual enemies tougher if they wanted to do that. But they wanted to put in lots of enemies
>>
>>339440828
>"hope"
>modern video game industry

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

dumbass stfu and just go play doom/2

fucking retard seriously
>>
>>339445423
>Has any recent 3D game gotten anything close to that level of support?

The Bethesda RPGs had because the tools despite being locked down in some areas e.g. no adding custom animations apart from idle animations with FNIS in Skyrim still allowed for a lot of freedom due to how open the tools were.
>>
There are some really good DOOM snapmaps but yeah no megawads or anything similar will be made. It's too slow and obtuse a system for that.
>>
>>339445423
this is true, games these days are far more complex and take far longer to make a simple map
quake is still going strong but that is also due to being open source and having very good easy to use tools
>>
>>339445798
Simple enemy AI isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hell oftentimes it's a good thing since it makes them more predictable and allows for tighter level design.
>>
>>339441946
>Was literally about to buy D44M
>See this vid

Ill wait till its 20 bucks for sure now
>>
>>339446770
It makes for bland encounters. :^)
>>
>>339445798
>>339446770
actually the original doom AI is very unpredictable and nothing the the game is really scripted at all
>>
>>339446954
Probably a good call. The single player is pretty cool but the trash MP and snap map is seriously disappointing.

I'd feel cheated if my tax return wasn't so generous.
>>
File: 1414725777169.png (29 KB, 252x159) Image search: [Google]
1414725777169.png
29 KB, 252x159
My only problem with snapmap is lobby hosts that never seem to start the damn match.
>>
>>339446954
Because of that video? You realize every single wad for the originals that had dozens of enemies in one area was always guaranteed garbage, right? For how much you guys like to talk up good level design it baffles me how you can support lazy bullshit like throwing a bunch of enemies into an empty room and calling it "challenge". There's a reason the people who design that kind of shit never make it out of amateur development.
>>
>>339439851
Then you shouldn't have bought it
>>
>>339447453
Its not even that but its the how limited snap maps are. Like 64 demons was the max for the entire fucking level. Then its just premade set pieces and nothing custom.

Kinda wack when I have like 50 amazing wads in my doom folder
>>
>>339447453
Doom 2 had more enemies than that in a room.
>>
File: 1450940473846.jpg (418 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450940473846.jpg
418 KB, 1920x1080
>>339439851
modding is illegal it violates the terms of the agreement you agreed to when buying the game meaning you cant violate the law without prosecution.

All those who break the law to destroy the integrity of gaming will be found.
>>
>>339447192
To each his own I guess, but I easily got my money's worth with the single player. Played it on Ultra Violence and Nightmare and working on Ultra Nightmare now. I've never been a big multiplayer guy though so a good single player mode is all I really care about.
>>
>>339447453
Going Down and Ancient Aliens are two fantastic recent megawads that frequently feature large fights.
>>
>>339447632
Even doom 1 did.
>>
How the fuck did they release Doom without wad support?

That's like making a Mario platformer game without jumping
>>
>>339448407
You don't need mods when snapmapā„¢ provides all the customization tools you need!

Be sure to buy the new map pack, only 40$ for 3 maps!
>>
>>339448407

Dude look at the fucking engine. For fucks sake.

There's a difference between making a sprite and making a fully 3d rendered object with shaders and lighting.

DOOMs assets were so simple I remember making my own sprites when I was 14.
>>
>>339448672
They need to do away with a lot of the limitations in Snapmap though.

There's an enemy limit, you can only use preset hallways (even for a level editor this makes no sense), and every map is the same Martian warehouse (at least give us other skins)
>>
>>339448407

What the fuck are you on about you dipstick? A WAD is just the compressed file type Doom 1 and 2 used to store assets. Quake used PAK. Fallout 4 uses BSA.

Saying it 'doesn't have WAD support' means fucking nothing.
>>
>>339447453
>lazy bullshit like throwing a bunch of enemies into an empty room and calling it "challenge"

That's Doom 4
>>
>>339447591
it's 64 pre placed, you can have hundreds of demons per level if you use spawners.
If you use the survival AI orchestrator it will spawn an infinite amount of demons until all players are dead.
By re spawning dead enemies ala Nightmare! you can have infinite demon maps.
>>
>>339451284
And you still can't face more than 12 at a time.
>>
>>339445423
Unreal Engine is easy to make stuff with using just BSPs. All it needs are some assets and textures, which could be provided by a dev.
>>
>>339441946
You guys do realize that "100,000 Revenants" is in no way remotely fucking possible on the original Doom 2 engine on 1994 hardware, right? It's barely possible on today's hardware with limit-removing source ports.
>>
>>339445423
>Has any recent 3D game gotten anything close to that level of support? Doom 3 sure as hell didn't. People act like with mod tools Doom 4 would be getting as much shit as the older games. I doubt it would have gotten much worthwhile.

A lot more people care for NuDoom than Doom 3 though
>>
>>339441946
Is there any other video which shits on Snapmap's limitations?

Could be quite interesting to see just how far that wannabe Doombuilder can be pushed.
>>
>>339440790
Same, but think you could help me out with finding a track?

https://youtu.be/1g-7-dFXOUU?t=50

Linked it at the time the track I'm looking for pops up, I remember it playing during that fight on top of the tram and it got me so fucking hyped. It says the name is Hell Keep, but even if I search it up I cannot fucking find it and it is by far my favorite track so far.
>>
>>339452865
>A lot more people care for NuDoom than Doom 3 though

That's true

Doom 3's engine was limited to a very specific kind of level/gameplay which didn't inspire a lot of players to begin with

Even the professional attempts at making the Doom 3 engine work for more open spaces like ETQW ended up a bit janky and performance hogs. I doubt modders could do much better
>>
>>339448892
Yeah, I don't think it'd be that hard to uncap it for PC users. I find it hard to believe that an idTech engine can't handle more than 12 enemies at once.
>>
>>339453610
snapmap is actually cross platform with consoles so that isn't gonna happen
>>
>>339453447
>Doom 3's engine was limited to a very specific kind of level/gameplay
that's not true at all, you can do all the same things as idtech 3, idtech 4 never took off because epic had already cornered the licensing market by that point also at the time doom 3 was a big resource hog and the go to benchmarking game but you can absolutely make large expansive levels using idtech 4
>>
File: marty stratton.jpg (12 KB, 430x291) Image search: [Google]
marty stratton.jpg
12 KB, 430x291
>>339453725

In one of the pre-release streams, Marty Stratton was asked if SnapMap was all the modding that would be available on the PC side (the guy asking was probably going off one of his previous statements, which stated that) - Surprisingly he responded "we'll see how that goes". NuDoom is doing pretty well on PC with fullprice 500k+ sales (that's a solid 40-60 million dollars on PC alone)

You'll need a sizeable number of PCucks clamoring for the NuDoom version of the idStudio tools. Bethesda is shit but they do allow deep modding of TES and Fallout, I don't see why this couldn't happen

>>339454143

Then why the fuck did ETQW run so shit compared to to other open games like Battlefield 2? There's got to be SOMETHING to the engine that was fucking their shit up. ETQW also looked like fucking ass for when it came out, like they had to completely mangle the Doom 3 engine just to get it working
>>
>>339454641
>NuDoom is doing pretty well on PC with fullprice 500k+ sales (that's a solid 40-60 million dollars on PC alone)

More like 20-30 million tbqh
>>
>canonize basically every single custom .wad and mod from Doom 1/2
>don't allow players to mod Doom 4

>>339454641
>I don't see why this couldn't happen
Because Denuvo, and because of Bethesda's past year and change in dealing with the modding community.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.