[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game just grew on me in a way Tropical Freeze didn't.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1-logo.jpg (55 KB, 626x352) Image search: [Google]
1-logo.jpg
55 KB, 626x352
This game just grew on me in a way Tropical Freeze didn't. I don't know. TF controls are an improvement, it has new, good music, more characters and offers more challenge. But it just didn't click. I couldn't even push myself to finish it almost two years later, while I put three 100% runs on Returns (Wii and both 3DS modes).

Anyone share the same opinion about TF? I feel like it's a great, polished game but at the same time uninspired, forgettable.
>>
I agree. Returns felt fresh because it was a new DKC after years of nothing. I didn't even have issue with the the waggle controls because I used a modded Wii + cheats to map it to a button.

While TF looks gorgeous, it failed to fix many of the primary issues of DKCR, such as uninspired puzzle piece hunts and awful bonus levels that break the flow of the stage. (Compare the bonus levels of DKC1-3 to anything R/TF has to offer.) TF also added barely anything new besides graphics. No new animal partners, and using mechanics in just one level (see: minecart level where you get 3d controls.) There is also an over-abundance of coins, lives, and bananas, ensuring you always have 99 lives.

The gameplay portion of the level design seems to have been sacrificed in an effort to make the visual level design great, and this makes the game boring to play. The boss fights are also lacking; I didn't even realize the last boss was the final boss until it was over.
>>
>>339436621
You just sound like a nostalgiafag to me; I'm going for 200% completion of DKTF and having a blast
>>
>>339437956
Your entire last paragraph is so wrong it's painful.
>>
Complete opposite. I love TF but can't stand Returns.
>>
>>339438114
My entire last paragraph is opinion. I felt no challenge whatsoever for the entire game - to me it feels that the visuals are a distraction from any sort of meaningful platforming. Maybe my opinion on this would change if I had also done everything in hard mode, but the overall "blah" feeling I got from the platforming makes me unmotivated to do so.
>>
>>339438005
Not nostalgia goggles here. I'm replaying both (and trying to finish TF after a long slumber) and that's my opinion.
>>
>>339438869
I don't really agree with that, it applies to some levels sure but the temple levels, and vast majority of levels past the halfway point, I wouldn't say that's the case.

Somewhat-relevant: the game is extremely satisfying to speedrun - very challenging to get a good speedrun but damn is it fun.
>>
>>339439240
Curious over how far you got in TF before feeling unmotivated?
>>
Returns was great, TF was better in every way, but Returns was the first 2D DK in a while so of course it had the bigger impact. I think some of Returns themes, like the tar world with all the fossils, was great.
>>
Also, levels on TF are needlessly too long. It gets tiresome sometimes. The whole "whoa, that was great, now just one more level before going to bed" factor is completely lost here because most levels lasts enough to make you tired. The same can be said about boss fights.

While I agree about the first three games being too easy, they had a better level design that left you wanting for more after each completion. Even Returns got that part right. That's one of my major complaints about TF aside from the weak art direction and lack of improvement in several areas. Swimming also sucks.
>>
>>339439382
Fruit salad world, that's where I dropped it
>>
>>339439604
>Also, levels on TF are needlessly too long.
Sounds like you're just a slow platformer, as you can blaze through them if you take advantage of cranky/dixie properly.

>>339439689
Dude why? That's my favorite island in the game, it's got some great levels and it really starts peaking in difficulty by then.
it's called juicy jungle btw
>>
>anti-nintendo posting has gotten so bad that people have finally started shitting on DKTF of all things
"W101 is overrated" thread when?
>>
>>339440129
What next? Am I forced to have the same opinions about Star Fox Zero and I'm forbidden to like it just because the majority of people on /v/ does?
>>
>>339440495
But the majority of /v/ didn't like it that much?
>>
>>339440617
I meant they didn't like it, every time there's a SF Zero thead, a shitload of anons come saying "you're not allowed to like this game because we hate it"
>>
>>339440739
I don't think you quite understand how discussions work, if someone literally said that to you then they're simply retarded. Else, it's perfectly fine to have a different opinion, my post here >>339440129 was a jab at the thread since I didn't agree with or really quite understand some of the points raised, but you're still free to dislike the game, anon.
>>
>>339439289
With the temple levels it was the opposite of my regular opinion: they all have the same visual theme, but they actually provide some challenge. And there are other notable levels that I thought were good in both departments, such as the avalanche level on DK island. I just didn't feel like enough levels overall were as good in both departments.

The controls in the game are definitely great for giving a speed-run feeling, I agree. Even on DKCR3D, despite having the downgrade to 30fps, the last level was incredibly fun to speedrun to get a shiny gold metal, and the controls in TF are basically identical if not better.
>>
>>339441635
You'd really like the bonus levels in "Secret Seclusion" island, then - think like the temple levels but a bump up in challenge, longer length, and varied visuals throughout.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.