[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/, so I've recently taken an interest in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: stalker_wp_01_1024.jpg (304 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
stalker_wp_01_1024.jpg
304 KB, 1024x768
Hey /v/, so I've recently taken an interest in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. I've been a big fan of Fallout for the longest time so I had been recommended this game by several others. Any recommendation on which of the 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R games I should play first?
>>
as long as it isn't clear sky you are in for a good time.
>>
>>339392974
1 obviously
>>
>>339392974
shadow of chernobyl first, then call of prypiat

you can ignore clear sky unless you want to play something literally unplayable without mods

seriously its like they didnt even try or knew what they were doing before releasing it
>>
>>339393148
>>339393243
Alright, so then you guys would recommend Chernobyl before Pripyat?
>>
shadow of chernobyl
>>
Play Clear Sky first.
Think of it like a casual filter, if you can play through Clear Sky, which isn't entirely a bad game but not nearly as good as the first and third, then you are worthy of the first and third.
>>
>>339392974
Shadow of Cherynobyl definitely.
Then move on to Call of Pripyat. If you're *really* into it then you can try Clear Sky.
>>
>>339392974

I played Call of Pripyat first and then Shadow of Chernobyl.

You'll enjoy both of them.

And yeah I'd rather pretend Clear Sky doesn't exist.
>>
>>339392974
>>>/vg/143861246
>>
what kind of game is stalker?

is it an rpg, sandbox...?

should I mod it first?
>>
>>339393752
>>339393691
>>339393384
Great thanks for the advise, Ill make sure to stay away from Clear Sky.
>>
File: stalker guide v1,42.png (1 MB, 1536x1250) Image search: [Google]
stalker guide v1,42.png
1 MB, 1536x1250
>>339392974
Consult this Starting Guide,
then see the /vg/'s huge Stalker General for more tips and links: >>>/vg/stalker

Play in the release order. Start with no mods - only latest patch, OR get the full "Starter Pack" first; these contain bug-fixers and light visual mods that can help performance as well.
Leave big overhauls for later playthrougs. Avoid the "Complete" -mods. Always play on MASTER difficulty for best realism and atmosphere, and disable crosshair.

Don't give up in the beginning! The starting gear sucks ass and first area can be a bit boring.
>>
>>339393896

It's a kinda free roam post-apocalyptic FPS. I guess there is not really a sandbox mode unless you use the STALKER COMPLETE mod which gives you a freeplay type option after you finish the game.

And no, don't mod it until after you played vanilla.

The mods do give it some great replay value. Especially mods like MISERY for Call of Pripyat.
>>
File: CS Swamps fishing camp evening.jpg (466 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
CS Swamps fishing camp evening.jpg
466 KB, 1920x1200
>>339393896
See: >>339394187

It's a survival-FPS-RPG hybrid of sorts.
No, you shouldn't.

>>339394053
I'd advise on the contrary.
Give CS a shot, and if you really don't like it, move to CoP. CS introduced many new additions to the gameplay, that are still found in CoP.
Apply all the fixes you can find (Starter Pack is big help).
>>
File: 1317293200204.jpg (40 KB, 500x548) Image search: [Google]
1317293200204.jpg
40 KB, 500x548
>>339393148
>>339393384
>>339393604
>>339393691
>>339393752
>>339394053

Clear sky is great, just patch it...

It has fantastic visuals, interesting characters and story and the feel of gunplay is a lot better than SoC.

CoP's weapons feel like inaccurate broken garbage - I think what bugs me the most is the zoom factor when aiming down sights, it bothers the shit out of me.
>>
>>339394187
>tfw you will never experience stalker for the first time again
>>
>>339394053
almost forgot and most forget to mention this tiny but crucial tid-bit of information

you should NOT play this game on easy, or normal even. Ruskies have a different sense of how game difficulty is measured, at least for the STALKER games

playing at Easy difficulty increases your HP - but so do the enemies', effectively making them into bullet sponges. Bullets and good gear are a luxury in these games, especially in the very beginning, so you want to make each (head)shot count. Play hard mode at the very least, and a well-placed shot will drop them like flies. I'm sure you'll figure out how to save-scum to win like everyone else
>>
>>339394657
This.
Headshots do INSANE damage especially for an RPG but the guns are inaccurate as fuck. Try to get a 5.56 gun as soon as possible because that's the only way you'll get headshots consistently.
>>
File: blown.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
blown.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I'm feeling my usual "annual replay of a Stalker game" itch. Is the latest OGSE worth a try or is it just a clusterfuck with broken piss easy difficulty?
>>
File: The 3 Stages Of Stalkan 2016.jpg (636 KB, 986x897) Image search: [Google]
The 3 Stages Of Stalkan 2016.jpg
636 KB, 986x897
>>339394657
>playing at Easy difficulty increases your HP - but so do the enemies', effectively making them into bullet sponges
Actually, the higher difficulties increase the damage values, no HP.
Same result, just different reason.

Master difficulty is comparable to the METRO 2033's Ranger Hardcore; it's the only difficulty you should even consider playing the game on.

>>339394907
Many people bash the accuracy of weapons in STALKER, but kinda for wrong reasons.
What many people these days don't seem to expect is the fact that the games use actual real-time bullet physics instead of hit-scan. Different ammo-types and guns also have greatly differing ballistic properties, which manifests itself in form of not only damage values, but also maximum reach, flatness, travel-time,... etc.

The shitty Maks and Sawnoffs at the beginning are literally the bottom-tier gear in the game, and while still able to 1-shot most human foes with a headshot, their reach is pretty much that of a thrown rock.

The gameplay changes completely once you get a full-length rifle and a scope to pop on top. AP rounds also help a great deal.
>>
>>339395252
I would also like to know this.
>>
>>339395423
This. I never had much problems hitting guys in the game, especially with mods. Even if I miss I feel like it was justified.
Just never go full auto unless you are really close. Single shot is how you use most weapons in real life too.
Of course some shit like misery completely fucks up the gameplay but usually it's fine.
>>
>>339396079
>especially with mods.
null point.
most mods literally crank up the ballistics to the point that there might just not be any bullet drop anymore.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said.

Misery is actually very fine, and IMO improves the ballistics of CoP. Ever since CS, the stock weapons have been very poorly performing, as they introduced the upgrade system.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.