[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever get another good Castlevania game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: cvooe.jpg (21 KB, 300x275) Image search: [Google]
cvooe.jpg
21 KB, 300x275
Seems like pic related was the last good one. Fuck that hack n slash shit, I wanna explore
>>
File: Metroidvanias.jpg (3 MB, 2000x7800) Image search: [Google]
Metroidvanias.jpg
3 MB, 2000x7800
OoE is trash. It's like a whole game of being in the Clocktower, the levels feel designed to annoy rather than challenge.
>>
>>339381874
How can you but Shantae and the Pirate's Curse in great tier when it's just linear environments with a stage-select screen?
>>
>>339382110
Haven't played quite everything on the list myself, it's based on votes from /v/. I'll remove that one now.
>>
>>339382110
This. Shantae is mediocre at best. OoE is a good game.

>>339381874
I disagree with a lot in your list. You're also missing some older essentials of the genre, which means that you're probably a youngfag.
>>
>>339381321

>posts bottom tier castlevania game
>>
>>339382349
I've got a list of games that need to be added, but of course I haven't played every game in the genre yet. I prioritized newer games when first making the list too.

Which games would you add?
>>
>>339381874
whats the one in god tier that's not metroid or sotn? i can't read that font
>>
>>339381321

Sorry, OOE is just "sit in one spot and spam axes" to kill bosses and two room hallway levels
>>
>>339382546
You mean Trinity Tier? La-Mulana.
>>
>>339382489
>Which games would you add?

The most glaring omission are the old Wonder Boy games (not the spiritual successor or whatever Monster Tale was supposed to be). I'd suggest Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. It's an early gem of the genre and (imo, of course) one of the best games of the 8-Bit generation.
>>
Just play SOTN and shut up. Also Shadow Complex is decent if you are a 360 pleb.
>>
>>339382906
That's on PC now too.
>>
Do any of you consider Terraria to be a Metroidvania? Aside from the sandbox elements, that is.
>>
>>339381874
>La Mulana in God-tier
kill yourself, that game is just good, not god-tier. Cave Story should be in its place.
>>
>>339381321
OOE felt really lackluster compared to PoR and DoS/AoS the only really cool thing about it is that it looks good (for a 2d DS game) and it has excellent music.
>>
We'll probably never get another good Konami game, let alone a good Castlevania game.

You're better off just sticking with indie metroidviania games from here on out cause Castlevania is dead for good.
>>
Why do people rate SotN highly. Is it just nostalgia. Literally every real Castlevania game released after SotN is superior to it barring maybe Portrait of Ruin.
>>
>>339383149
Cave Story isn't a Metroidvania, dork.
>>
>>339382906
you can only get to 200.6% completion in SoTN so many times before getting bored of it.
>>
File: nonlinearplatformer.jpg (3 MB, 2000x7800) Image search: [Google]
nonlinearplatformer.jpg
3 MB, 2000x7800
>>339381874

Slightly better version here. The list could probably do with some more changes, though. I've played a good 60% of these.
>>
>>339383260
But OoE isn't a Metroidvania.
>>
One of the things the LoS series lost was the love and influence from the old monster kino.

The series needs to go back to its roots
>>
>>339383323

Dracula's Castle is a huge part of the game, so I'd consider it to be more non-linear than linear.
>>
>>339383323
What a dumb ass post
>>
>>339381321
Konami doesn't make videogames anymore, so no.
>>
When does OoE become metroidvania? The beginning of the game is definetly forced leaving little to exploration. You go through the same teleporter warping you to the next area repeatedly.

I have it sitting right next to me but it's been so long I'll have to reset it. I usually get about 2 hours in and still see this linear style.
>>
Nope.

Enjoy your pachinko.
>>
>>339381321
Castlevania is finished. Bloodstained might be fun if Igarashi still has his shit together.
>>
>>339383612

see

>>339383413
>>
>>339381874
>CotM God Tier
That game is great at best

>PoR, SHantae PC and Axiom Verge Great Tier
PoR is not that great of a game. Way to repetitive on the level design (heck, there are a handful of them and half of it is a mirror of the others) and it gets done quickly.

Axiom verge is a simple and shitty attempt at a Metroid game. Shantae PC has the same faults of the previous games and lacks the promised level of depth.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.