[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't mouse peripherals for consoles ever catch on,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
Why didn't mouse peripherals for consoles ever catch on, especially with how popular console FPSs have become? Are console peasants just too retarded?
>>
File: rich.png (191 KB, 265x289) Image search: [Google]
rich.png
191 KB, 265x289
>Are console peasants just too retarded?
This is going to be a short thread.
>>
>>339378530
Because mandatory peripherials rarely work unless they're included with the game. Guitar hero was the one time it worked, and even then it was only a brief fad.
>>
>>339378618
Does it even count as avatarfagging if you use the same pic every time?
>>
Because most people don't play consoles at their desk
>>
>>339378925
>implying bluetooth doesn't exist
>>
>>339378530
I don't think consoles were consistently powerful enough to justify buying a mouse, so console shooters weren't popular?

Even they, they had aim assist (Halo especially) so precision wasnt needed.
-And Microsoft specifically didn't want their Xbox to have a mouse and keyboard because they wanted to distance themselves as PC only.

I remember some games using keyboards to make things easier, like phantasy star online.
-And of course console key boards are dead cause now we got voice chat.
>>
File: 1377710533253.png (92 KB, 279x326) Image search: [Google]
1377710533253.png
92 KB, 279x326
>at some point SNES had more precise input than modern consoles
>>
>>339378530
if people wanted to play games with mouse and keyboard, they wouldnt be playing on a console in the first place
>>
>>339379173
What if all their stupid friends only play on console, or what if they're poor? Having a mouse option would still be welcome.
>>
Isn't there a board on reddit where you can discuss this?
>>
File: aatybm.jpg (246 KB, 1599x983) Image search: [Google]
aatybm.jpg
246 KB, 1599x983
it was almost mandatory to have a USB keyboard for this
>>
>>339378848

pretty much this

Peripheral controllers rarely have a use outside of their niche, nevermind catch on for consistent use in multiple games across a system. If a mouse/keyboard peripheral were to catch on, it'd only be because it was positioned the same way the 6 button genesis controller or the dualshock were; as an outright replacement for the main controller. Frankly I don't see something like that ever happening for a video game console.
>>
>>339379497
What about fight sticks and dance pads? Those get consistent use in their respective communities for console play and have become the standard for those genres on console. Why can't mice be to console FPS what fight sticks are to fightans?
>>
>>339379173
>if people wanted to play games with fighting sticks, they wouldn't be playing on a console in the first place
>>
>>339378979
Yeah, sure is comfortable using my lap as a mouse pad
>>
>>339378530
You think I want to use a fucking mouse when I'm laying on my comfy couch you godamn nigger?
>>
>>339378618
stop forcing this
>>
>>339379867
>>339379968
>too lazy to just sit up straight like a civilized human being and use the fucking armrest on your couch/chair
Consolefags are the worst human beings
>>
>>339378530
How are you going to make it work you fucking moron? You don't play consoles on a desk, where the fuck are you going to rest the mouse?
>>
>>339379241
There is also a board on reddit where you can discuss video games. Yet you're here.
>>
>>339380060
You should ask him
>>339380050
>>
>>339378530
>Why didn't mouse peripherals for consoles ever catch on

Microsoft wants that shit actually, but until then it's considered hacking by consolefags.

http://xim4.com/
>>
>>339379661

They aren't required though, and while tons of people do use fight sticks for fighting games the average joe that just likes to play street fighter with some friends after work or whatever probably either doesn't know what a fight stick is or thinks they aren't worth the money.

And unlike fight sticks, there really isn't any money to be made in peripheral keyboards/mice, I mean hell I think every console these days lets you use any old USB one just to use their internet browser or the like anyway.
>>
>>339380050
on a couch maybe, but on a chair?
>>
>>339380078
I was talking about that master race board. It's pretty clear op is trying to start some circlejerk
>>
File: typewriter.jpg (87 KB, 788x727) Image search: [Google]
typewriter.jpg
87 KB, 788x727
>>339378530
>using a device made in 1860 for the purpose of letter writing to play fps games

lol
>>
>>339380050
>Using the fucking armrest on a couch for mouse input

What a fucking memer.
>>
bwecause keyboard and mice are for neckbeards

non virgin normies like to use controllers because theyre ergonomic and you dont like like a spaz playing games with them
>>
It's actually very surprising this HASN'T caught on, yet. You'd think they'd start making console MOBAs soon.
>>
>>339380357
>implying 90% of threads on all boards aren't circlejerks

Its just a circlejerk you don't like faggot
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.