[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Melee fans and Smash 4 fans hate each other so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 40
File: LaMAfGQ.png (415 KB, 498x341) Image search: [Google]
LaMAfGQ.png
415 KB, 498x341
Why does Melee fans and Smash 4 fans hate each other so much?
>>
Because literally children

Both are fine games and I alternate between them regularly.

Internal fan bickering is the most useless waste of time when they could spend the time getting good at both.
>>
my game is better then yours
>>
I don't hate anyone because of a video game. Why would you?
>>
>>339373849
Tr4sh rode melee's coattails and now the players think their game is actually good at the competitive level.
>>
>>339373985
First post best post
>>
File: al_100507_2041binout.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
al_100507_2041binout.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
Meleefags are pissed off that Nintendo will never make a game that mechanically intense again, even if it was an accident - they're just lashing out at Sm4sh babies to vent the anger at the fact that they're no longer the target audience and that their scene WILL eventually suffer once all original GameCube hardware and Melee discs stop working. They're also probably salty at the fact that Sm4sh lazily piggybacks off of Melee's reputation competitively rather than getting to EVO and the like on its own merits

Brawlfags... Well, do Brawlfags really exist? Every once-Brawlfag I ever knew moved on to Smash 4 or Project M. Brawlfags truly were just hopping on to the newest game even though it was shit. Project M fags are mostly alright, the game isn't half bad but typically Project M fags will either be the chillest dudes you meet or will have a fucking gigantic victim complex and always feel the need to point out how superior PM is and how it didn't deserve to die.

Sm4shfags normally just want a good time, and are pissed off at always being targeted by Meleefags. The game may not be as mechanically deep as Melee or PM but I don't think anybody ever claimed it to be - people who play Sm4sh just have different priorities, or slower hands, or they understandably just want to play as their favorite character who isn't in previous entries. Mostly okay, some underrage (which explains why they rise to the Meleefags' insults). Sm4sh has quite a few different core groups who play the game, some of whom are okay and some of whom are just cancer, as would be expected of the newest entry in any franchise.

64fags are cool.

So yeah, that's why Smash tards are always at each others throats.
>>
Hardcore Melee fans are literally autistic
>>
>>339373849
Jealousy

Meleefags wish their games had more characters and balance patches while Sm4shfags wish their game was actually fun to play
>>
File: image.gif (183 KB, 600x461) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
183 KB, 600x461
They don't hate each other

It's the ego's that can't stand the other game making their skills look bad

Melee fags are scared that a new game that doesn't translate their Melee techniques will overshadow their popularity

And Sm4sh fags are scared Melee won't stop shoving it's face around making them look small
>>
>>339375389
Nobody thinks that any smash game is good at the competitive level. If you think this you're in the 1% of smelly, fat, neckbearded population.
>>
>>339373849
Melee is a good game
smash 4 is a bad game
smash 4 fags tell me i should like smash 4 and that melee isnt that good, fuck those retarded fags. Its because they like that shit that nintendo wont make an actually good smash game
>>
>>339373849
Since when? Are you confusing Sm4shfags with PMfags?
>>
>>339377350
someone is mad that melee is at evo :^)
>>
File: killmenow.jpg (43 KB, 960x940) Image search: [Google]
killmenow.jpg
43 KB, 960x940
>>339377350
Let me guess, you've also got an autistic "GLITCHES AND EXPLOITS" or "literally a party game" post lined up for when somebody tries to argue about the incredibly high skill ceiling and varied outcomes of the Melee meta-game? And then you'll argue it out with each other, neither of you will change your minds, and one of you will disappear before the debate/clusterfuck reaches any logical conclusion?

I need to get off this site, it's like living fucking Groundhog Day. I've seen every post before. Every argument. Every thread. I just can't do it anymore.
>>
>>339377403
How do you resist the urge to kill yourself on a daily basis?

The fact that melee is still alive baffles me since Brawl nearly killed it.
Its a miracle that the same didn't happen when Smash 4 was released, if anything more people have been playing melee as a result of having the choice between the two.

>>339377350
>Mad because bad
When will you understand?
>>
It more one sided

Smash 4 players do enjoy Melee alot and some of them do play it as well. They just enjoy different experiences and understand Nintendo can't just release Melee every year.

It's the stream monsters, twitch fags and shitposters here that dislike Smash 4 because it's not Melee. Autistic people don't like change they lash out at things that are different.
>>
>>339373849
The people that are actually good at the games don't hate each other at all. Armada, Leffen, Mango, PPMD, etc will all say that Smash 4 isn't their cup of tea and leave it at that but they still like the people that play the game.

It's just the shitty stream monsters that go 0-2 in bracket and just parrot opinions that shit on each other all the time.
>>
>>339377403
>implying 4 is bad

tell that to 4's air game, there is more off stage play and aerial combos then there has been or ever will be in melee
>>
It really boils down to melees victim complex. Was always isolated from fgc and Nintendo(but it wasn't truly clear till brawl) and fought tooth and nail to make the game stay relevant. Anything not melee is an affront to them.

Smash 4 fags just want to enjoy their game without being called scrubs.
>>
>>339377641
Actually it's because it's literally a party game
>>
>>339377504
PMfags are only lashing out at being everybody's whipping boy. Project M is solid as shit but it gets nothing but shit from both Melee and Smash 4 fanbases.

I mean, it was going to die eventually, everybody knew that, but I can understand why they're salty
>>
>>339377403
WHY even compare them?
They are built differently and play differently.

I enjoy the more off stage faggotry of tr4sh a lot. It feels a lot like playing 64 again in some ways.
And just like melee fags hate anyone who likes the newer games, there probably exist an even smaller elite group of dedicated 64 players who think melee ruined the game.

In short; who fucking cares?
Play the one you like, and stop being a little bitch holy fuck.
>>
File: (you).jpg (52 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
52 KB, 612x380
>>339378013
Here (You) go. Really got me good
>>
>>339378013
and?
High level party games then

I bet you still drink fizzy colourful beverages at the parties you go to and walk away with lolly bags.
>>
prolly because Tr4sh is a failed game and the only reason its alive is because it piggybacks on melee's success.

>melee tourny
>100k views

>smash4 tourny
3k views
>>
>>339378185
Yeah, just like brawl did.. oh

Tell me
What was the viewership before sm4sh came out?
>>
>>339378185
>>339378185
>every melee tournament has 100k views

smash 4 and melee sit about equal and despite what the vocal minority of stream monster like yourself say, the viewership has a lot of crossover
>>
>>339378185
>someone tried running a smash 4 only national
>barely got 10k views and no one from top 3
kek
>>
File: 1443993437614.png (1 MB, 828x1232) Image search: [Google]
1443993437614.png
1 MB, 828x1232
>>339378340
k
>>
File: 1441920656519.jpg (363 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1441920656519.jpg
363 KB, 1280x960
>>339376956
This sums it up rather well
>>
File: 1464218960418.gif (186 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1464218960418.gif
186 KB, 500x491
You ever notice how whenever Sm4shfags dick on Meleefags, it's an attack on their person rather than an attack on their game? Meleefags dick on Smash 4. Sm4shfags dick on Meleefags, rarely Melee itself

Funny, huh
>>
>>339378435
What national are you talking about? I hope you aren't saying Momocon, because that was a regional. It only had like 200 entrants.
>>
>>339378185
It's more like
>Melee 60k
>Smash 4 48k

Nice try to stream monster go back to twitch
>>
>>339378582
that's because even they secretly know Melee is one of the greatest games ever made.
no one will say that for smash 4 except when talking about the roster, which is do admit is the best in any game ever
>>
>>339378340
Kinda this
I didn't care about melee until I started trying to actually get into smash 4.
Learning its ins and outs, and having new tech n shit discovered as time goes on.
Get in early, so to speak.

I felt like I was too behind with melee to ever get good at it.

After a while I developed a taste for faster and faster characters, and the more I understood the game, the more I feinded for something more. I could watch Melee games and understand and greater appreciate what I was looking at.

>>339378469
Quote me someone who actually said that and had any credible foresight.

the fact that Melee is competing (one sidedly so) against another smash game that didn't flop as hard as Brawl makes both of them stronger.

The fact that people have something to compare it to helps it in the long run.
>>
File: borplol.webm (963 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
borplol.webm
963 KB, 1280x720
>>339373849
A lot of melee players are upset and feel cheated with the direction the franchise went with Brawl and its successors. They do the typical "big brother" bullying that the FGC did to melee in the past to sm4sh/brawl crowd. Couple that with the fact that many sm4sh players are insecure and lash out towards melee players, you have an overall shitfest of a fandom.

I'm not too upset because it's not like the fan bases would be good without the bickering, sm4sh players genuinely don't understand cultural norms/conventions and can't behave in public, and melee players don't understand how to take showers.
>>
>>339378469
>implying melee didn't dickride streetfighter that year to 200k views

Nearly anything could have gone in that slot and got at least 150k views if not more
>>
>>339378646
Glitch
>>
>>339378582
>Act like an autist
>get treated like one
>Arrogance is a spiteful trait
well fuck me stop the presses
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 201x185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 201x185
I like both.
>>
>>339378859
Glitch was a regional, idiot.
>>
>>339378874
All it really proves is that Melee is mechanically better tho
>>
>People ignore games superior to both
Perfection is to be envied
but it didn't have to end like this
>>
honestly i don't like watching Smash 4 since it's just the same players from Brawl.
>>
File: melee vs notmelee.png (2 MB, 2040x1316) Image search: [Google]
melee vs notmelee.png
2 MB, 2040x1316
>>
>>339378435
To be fair, there's never going to be a smash supermajor with just one game (Dreamhack Winter was the closest, but only about 20-25 of the top 100 were actually there. EVO, Big House, and Genesis will always have both games).

Both games ride on each other. Have you seen the CEO registration numbers? Sm4sh is beating melee by like 250 people. Now that's going to inspire more people to register for melee, so both games get bigger talent pools and bigger viewership.
>>
>>339379116
Let's be honest it was always destined to die. With that being said, I do find it funny that when pressed for reasons why they don't like it, most Meleefags or Sm4shfags will come out with one of the following
>Overpowering character gimmicks compared to Melee, aka I'm too set in my ways to learn new matchups
>"It's not a game, it's a mod!" aka I am literally autistic
>Casualized techniques like L-Cancelling, which really is just elitism because although it lowered the skill floor the skill ceiling is just as high
>Citing things like the different tech timing or the 2 frames of lag, things which were fixed in like 2.5 years and years ago
And so on.
>>
>>339379062
Does it?
In what regard?
Are you talking about the actual game mechanics, or the metagame?

If better than good is great, then I'm happy to play both.

I love them dearly, but being hurt that your perfect accident isn't being remade stitch for stitch is no reason to out yourself as on the spectrum.

There will be hell from the skies if nintendo ever re-release melee and touch ANYTHING on the insides.
Melee is what I would consider to be close to a perfect game in how it plays and how much you can truly get out of it.

I love smash 4 for it allowing more patient play to be an option for some small mind games and aerial fuckaboutery.
>>
>>339379520
>N-n-NO SHUT UP MELEE IS THE BEST IT DOESNT NEED TRASH FOUR
>>
>>339379438
Yeah except hbox is a fatass now.
>>
>>339379165
I don't like watching it because it literally looks like it's being played in slow motion compared to Melee. It's just not exciting.
>>
>>339379582
I just didn't like that brawl was the skeleton for this frankensteins monster of a game.
I hate the sound design and art direction brawl had.
On top of trying to emulate melee, which it tries earnestly to do so, it felt like a janky mess a lot of the time.

I had fun with it, it was technically a new smash game and I had a lot of fun, but I could only stomach it for about 30 minute sittings max before I wanted to play literally any other smash game just to relish in the spit shine nintendo gloss.
>>
>>339376956
/thread right here
>>
>a 14-year old Sonic beat one of the best players in Smash 4 by spamming shield and spindash
great game
>>
>derping around in melee vs lv 1 jigglypuff bot
>downtilt it constantly as it tries to get back to stage
>it starts to sing while falling helplessly to its death

that made me very sad
>>
Everyone hates melee fans.
>>
>>339379601
>There will be hell from the skies if nintendo ever re-release melee and touch ANYTHING on the insides.

The dirty secret is that the NTSC build of Melee preferred by the diehards is actually deprecated. If -- and this is a BIG "if" -- Nintendo ever revisits Melee for an HD touchup, it will use the PAL version as a base, and the howls from the fanbase will be deafening. It will be a repeat of the autism explosion when Project M tried to snip some of the edge off the almighty Fox.
>>
File: this.png (17 KB, 1148x312) Image search: [Google]
this.png
17 KB, 1148x312
i think we can all agree
>>
>>339379520
smash4 gets more entrants because it's easier. At tournaments with other fighting games, like CEO, people playing non smash games are far more likely to get in the smash4 bracket because they might win a set or 2 but they know they'd go 0-2 in melee. Smash4 has more crossover not more actual players signed up.
>>
>>339376956
It wasn't until I surprised my friends with an import copy of brawl from america (wasn't coming out for months in AU) that I realized brawl was a bad game.

I even figured out an endearing way to surprise them, while they were playing melee on our weekly melee nights, I said "GUYS, JAPAN TIME, Check out who it is; TOON LINK BITCHED" and while they dropped their controllers and ran to the computer to absorb every bit of info they could, I switched out the game to brawl and picked the same stage and same characters as was paused in melee.

The excitement swelled the moment they realized what was going on.
Eventually, after about an hour, we got quieter and quieter, resisting the urge to say "put melee back in", we all knew, but didn't want to admit, that the newest hottest hypest shit was just plain shit.

Smash 4 was at least different enough that I wasn't let down and only grew to like it more as time went on.
>>
>>339380181
i would say tennis because that's a sport where i actually bother watching the women, and it makes more sense because both play at the majors together.

basically, ill swatch smash 4 when it's paired with melee, and when the pool is stacked. But i won't go out of my way to seek it out like i will with melee, where ill basically watch any tourney with top 100 talent.
>>
>>339379582
giving every character cancels does not make for a good game.
>>
>>339380110
Yup
I only noticed this when I was fucking around in 20xx and realized "Yo, why can fox recover all of a sudden? What the fuck"
>>
>>339380181
grlz dont play vidya stoopid
>>
>>339380553
explain what you mean
>>
>>339380264
You're right that sm4sh has a much lower skill ceiling, but melee had more entrants last year, and now it's losing by 250 people. And CEO has always been an FGC event foremost so nothing major has changed.

Ultimately whether we want to believe it nor not, sm4sh is only getting more popular (and so is Melee, anyway).
>>
>>339379438

Holy moly who is that Hellboy monster?
>>
Because Sm4sh fags are playing an inferior game.
>>
>>339380690
Did you even read my post?

1) I was talking about the skill floor.
2) CEO is an FGC event so yes, more FGC members are going to enter smash4 rather than melee. Melee has a hilariously low crossover rate because if you don't actually play it you get destroyed by casuals even.
>>
>>339380806
thats MVD
>>
Melee is domestic abuse. Smash is sex
>>
File: infiltration.jpg (41 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
infiltration.jpg
41 KB, 1280x720
Interviewer
>"is there any other fighting game you'd like to start playing?"

infiltration
>"i want to play melee, but it looks too hard."
>>
>>339380953
yeah I meant skill floor as well.

and i'm not disagreeing with your point, just saying that every entrant counts at the end, no matter whether they are just FGCfags entering sm4sh for fun. I mean the numbers are literally deciding who gets the night stage.
>>
>>339373849
I think you mean Tourneyfags and Smashfags.
>>
>>339381274
>sm4sh has a much lower skill ceiling
>yeah I meant skill floor
kys
>>
>>339381395
holy shit, i am agreeing with you, i just mistyped.

who pissed in your cheerios mate.
>>
>>339379582
This.
I thought pretty much the same thing.
I didn't mind playing PM in friendlies but I never liked playing it in tournament because I didn't feel like learning which way to DI every characters kill throw.
>>
>>339381273
Infil has always played easy peasy capcom games, call me when he plays an anime fighter or kof
>>
File: hey, thats pretty good..jpg (62 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hey, thats pretty good..jpg
62 KB, 1920x1080
>>339379438
what is it about melee that attracts hansom well endowed men?
>>
File: 1450140920335.png (5 KB, 345x283) Image search: [Google]
1450140920335.png
5 KB, 345x283
>>339380453
Please, don't even remind me. The sinking feeling of the first 3-4 days playing Brawl was a real fucking low point for me. I tried distracting myself with as much WiFi play and Subspace Emissary as possible, tried playing the multiplayer with as many of my friends and family as possible in the hopes that I just didn't "get it" at first... nothing helped.

I'm not even a tourneyfag or anything like that which is why it annoys me that Melee fans are permanently treated like autists. Melee was just a genuinely more fun game even at a casual level - LITERALLY the only thing Brawl offered over Melee was a bigger roster of characters and stages. Luckily Smash 4 isn't actually so bad, but I'll never forget the crushing realization that Brawl was a piece of shit, even as a non-competitive game.

Pic sort of related, it's how I felt at the time
>>
>>339381024
Pretty good.
Honestly no matter how many times I play either, smash 4 doesn't demoralize me completely when I get utterly destroyed, I want to get thrown back in and have a laugh.
Melee crushes my spirit when I play against anyone whos even touched a building that a tournament was hosted at.

Ive never ever gotten mad at a game of smash 4.

Ive only just come to realize this now.
>>
>>339381974
>never gotten mad at a game of smash 4
aka someone who never played a sonic or a good pre-patch bayo
>>
>>339381881
I'm glad I was too young/casual to notice when brawl came out
Brawl was my shit when I was in high school
It's pretty much unplayable now, but smash 4 is alright
>>
>>339382097
Okay let me rephrase
I've never gotten assmad when playing against someone person to person

All of the silly for glory shit was a bother for sure, but i had fun trying to fuck with sonics and bayos.
Next level mind games by pretending to be retarded and sonic thinks he can walk up and grab me.

DeDeDe is the only reason I play smash 4 as much as I do, I've never had as much fun with a characters stupid silly bullshit since icy feet luigi in melee

Every bayonetta I played was retarded though, I don't know this pain.
>>
>>339382538
>DeDeDe is the only reason I play smash 4 as much as I do, I've never had as much fun with a characters stupid silly bullshit since icy feet luigi in melee
Fuckin' good taste anon

Might I recommend Project M, Dedede is arguably at the top of his game there. He's high-tier in Brawl but Brawl is just a bad game
>>
>>339376956

Underrated post, should be screencaped for this kind of threads
>>
>>339382538
>>339383372

Next level mindgames, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_31pJIZFnk0&spfreload=10
>>
>>339373849
One game is not a serious fighting game and the other pretends to be one
>>
>>339377834
>more air combos in a game with infinite air dodges

wew lad
>>
>>339384701
Well.. yeah. Thats part of it.
Have you not played the game?
>>
>>339385310
It's not a combo is they fucking airdodge you goddamn idiot.
>>
File: 1464614944932.png (657 KB, 774x714) Image search: [Google]
1464614944932.png
657 KB, 774x714
>>339373985
Naw, Smash is slow motion. Do you even wavedash?
>>
File: 1434140147078.jpg (127 KB, 500x729) Image search: [Google]
1434140147078.jpg
127 KB, 500x729
>>339385585
>he didn't bait the air dodge

sure is skill in here
>>
>>339386104
Personally I applaud Sm4sh for incorporating more emotional skill. Too many video games treat reflex like it's the only skill
>>
I know you will read this and move on, but it's the god damn truth. These people are autistic. If you argue with someone on the basis of 'my game is better than yours' you're fucking autistic. Try being a normal human for one day.
>>
>>339376956
>Well, do Brawlfags really exist?
Yep. There's not many but there's a few.
>>
>>339386589

Yeah, going in a true combo ride is flashy and takes a lot of skill, but I'd rather play a game heavy on reads since you'r playing against your opponent's mind instead of memorizing buttons.
>>
>>339387010
Yeah, it requires a lot of patience. Avoiding an existential crisis while standing in place short-hopping FAirs while you wait for your opponent to break and approach takes a lot more strength than just spamming tech "skill."
>>
File: 1hf4TsE.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1hf4TsE.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
i just want a smash that unites the community

there's a sweetspot between smash 4 and melee that hasn't been reached yet. melee physics and match pacing, but maybe with no l-cancelling (but innately low landing lag/more generous auto-cancels) and with input buffers. maybe all new mechanics, with shit like grab-teching, air grabs, wavedashing being officially instated as a dash in a single input instead of having to airdodge into the fucking ground and fuck your controller sideways for a simple result

maybe a robust online mode that learned something, anything from competiting platforms since 2003. this franchise could fucking take over but itll never evolve in a meaningful way
>>
>>339385585
Sit down and shut the fuck up you child
Its a different game
Get over yourself holy shit
>>
>>339378314
137k at evo 2014
>>
>>339388518
>only 137k
>dead marvel got 300k

forty_keks.jpeg
>>
>>339378165
High schooler who just went to his first part spotted.
>>
>>339388639
Very nice.
>>
>>339387525
Mechanics don't matter, if Sakurai rereleased Melee under a different name the Sm4sh community would eat it up just because Sakurai's name would be attached to it

And Melee has some room for improvement, but no one is going to agree on what those improvements are
>>
I like Melee fans, and can appreciate that their game is better at a competitive level, but I like playing 8-player matches with normal people, more characters, and items on, and that triggers their autism.
>>
>>339388620
Marvel peaked at 149, dumbass

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/20/which-grand-finals-was-most-watched-evo-2014-ranking-viewership-game/
>>
>>339389401
>but I like playing 8-player matches with normal people, more characters, and items on, and that triggers their autism
I'm not even a Melee player but this triggers my autism too. 8-player is shit and an absolute clusterfuck. Aside from the novelty of "holy shit they doubled the player count" for the first 3 matches of 8-player, I absolutely cannot fathom what it's appeal is supposed to be
>>
>>339373849
I don't like either
I like Brawl
>>
File: LOOK, HE'S A.png (8 KB, 333x312) Image search: [Google]
LOOK, HE'S A.png
8 KB, 333x312
Why is classic mode a garbage RNG fest?
Why are there so many 8 player matches?
Why is Adventure mode gone?
Where's the jump momentum?
Why is the game so slow?
Why is shield so strong?
Why do the patches ignore the worst characters?
>>
>>339389582
False As Fuck, No Way Melee Did More Numbers Than SFIV. EventHubs is Sketchy af
>>
File: put your balls in my top.jpg (68 KB, 688x387) Image search: [Google]
put your balls in my top.jpg
68 KB, 688x387
>>339373849
Where is the /v/kend? It's Memorial Day.
>>
>>339377834
Yeah but you can't ledge hog and everyone gets a free recovery. Except little Mac.
>>
>>339390820
Make it yourself. Make sure to put http://challonge.com/w0cahrbx in the OP as well as the regular tourney.
>>
>>339390776

>Where's the jump momentum?
>Why is the game so slow?

jump momentum and a universal increase in fall speed should be a priority in the next game

>Why is shield so strong?

Shield stun has already been increased, next order of business should be shield regen

>Why do the patches ignore the worst characters?

Because Dedede is already perfect, and Reggie vetoes any Jigglybuff.
>>
>>339390935
>make sure to put the shit bracket version in your op
If I'm making it, you can bet your bottom dollar that shit is getting left out.
>>
>>339389829
THAT'S the appeal, messy clusterfuck between people and unlimited rage.
>>
>>339378804
street fighter is always last on stream retard
>>
>>339378084
This. Quit fighting it's not a big deal. Sm4sh is good, melee Is good. Neither of them are going anywhere
>>
>>339378804
lol sleep fighter fucking sucks and the only reason it got as many views as it did was because it was last.

the last game ALWAYS gets the most views.
>>
>>339387525
>air grabs
>no l cancelling
>online
awful
>>
>>339390784
https://public.tableau.com/views/Evo2014FinalsDayViewerNumbers/Story?:embed=y&:display_count=no&:showVizHome=no

http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/16/was-evo-2014-the-most-hype-one-yet-interworks-visualizes-viewer-numbers-throughout-finals-day/

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/evo-2014-highlights-video/

No use denying it. It was covered in depth at the time.
>>
We don't hate each other lmao. We get along just fine. People online shitpost but in person we're all cool. We'll hang out at tournaments, play each other's games, it's fun.
>>
>>339391889
more bullshit. fuck off.
>>
Heres the real reason.

>Smash 64 comes out
>its fun
>melee comes out
>literally best sequel ever
>those characters
>those stages
>that content
>brawl comes out
>huge step back
>shit characters
>ass stages
>garbage graphics
>tr4sh comes out
>literally brawl 2.0
>melee fans just want another game with the same jump from 64 to melee
>will never get it thanks to hackurai

Thats why
>>
>>339392219
>using ""literally"" unironically

Good to see /v/ filled with underage children that haven't passed middle school yet.
>>
>>339376956
Why are people agreeing with you when you're 100% wrong?
>that their scene WILL eventually suffer once all original GameCube hardware and Melee discs stop working.
Oh no, what will we do? Oh yeah, we have modded wiis, and even standalone mini-computers that can run melee on its own.
Boo hoh.
>>
File: 1441612244209.jpg (12 KB, 362x200) Image search: [Google]
1441612244209.jpg
12 KB, 362x200
>>339392087
lmao

baby can't even muster a response now. just pure denial.
>>
>>339387010
There are more true combos in smash 4 than melee.
In melee every combo is a successful reaction to your opponents DI.
In smash 4, combos are easy and guaranteed and require no skill from the player.
>>
>>339392219
This is how I feel about the whole thing.

I played sm4sh for a whole year, it was fun unlike brawl but I could only handle so many cookie-cutter 3 hit combos.

I started to crave for the dynamic, anything-can-happen melee scenarios. The 0-death combos.

So now I've jumped back on melee and am better than ever. I still beat my friends who only play sm4sh too.

Sm4sh has its place, but to say it's anywhere to melee mechanically is not true.
>>
>>339392446
>I dont have an argument
>better just attack the speaking style

You know who the real underage is anon?

You.
>>
>>339392502
Modded Wiis won't be allowed at sponsored majors and emulation is not considered tournament legal. However, if Melee returns to grassroots, your point is valid.
>>
File: federation-force.jpg (169 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
federation-force.jpg
169 KB, 1000x500
>>339392219
>melee fans just want another game with the same jump from 64 to melee
>will never get it thanks to hackurai

what i find sad is that this isn't even exclusive to smash, a lot of nintendo series are going through the same thing.

>people want a proper successor to paper mario the thousand year door
>fuck you, have sticker star and sticker star 2

>people want a proper successor to starfox 64 with more and new content and no gimmicks
>fuck you have, have either gimmick shit like assault and command or have a cheap uninspired retreat of 64 with retarded controls

>people want a successor to super metroid with giant non-linear maps
>fuck you, have a super linear and shallow action game with a garbage story that ruins samus's character completely, also have a shitty cheap handheld fps with a retarded chibi artstyle

the list goes on. the entire company is pretty much suffering from george lucas syndrome. none of their developers give a shit about what people want and don't even know why people like their old shit, they're all just stuck in their own little bubble.
>>
>>339392502
First of all they're not agreeing with that part in particular, they're agreeing with the general description of each section of the community

Secondly, I never said Melee would die, I said it would suffer - which is true. All the Wii's (most of which are breaking down sooner than Gamecubes funnily enough) and lag-free computer setups in the world won't change the fact that hardware issues are a growing issue with TO's and will continue to be. It won't ever KILL Melee because the Melee fanbase is far too strong and dedicated to let that happen but you're naive or stupid if you don't see that. I run small-scale events and I know more than a small handful of some of the bigger UK/EU TO's, and it's a genuine concern among many. It's easy to shout "Faster Melee" and "lag-free LCD" and the like but this is an issue that we are going to have to fucking deal with and it WILL hurt.

It wasn't a dig at anyone, it was a fucking fact.
>>
>>339391451
>the last game ALWAYS gets the most views.
>Saving the best for last

There's a reason they try to get Melee finals over with early in the day.
>>
Is crazy orders really the best way to get equipment? I've been fucking at it for weeks, I probably got up to 40 rounds at least a dozen times, and probably 100 tries total. I CAN'T FUCKING GET AUTO REGEN EQUIPMENT FOR BOWSER THOUGH
>>
>>339393040
>Modded Wiis won't be allowed at sponsored majors
They run modded wiis at sponsored majors, they have hacks now that make it look as if a disc is inside. The melee hacking community is top tier.
>>
File: depression3.jpg (114 KB, 841x475) Image search: [Google]
depression3.jpg
114 KB, 841x475
>tfw project M was supposed to be the bridge between Melee and Sm4sh
>Easier inputs, no L-Cancelling ( if you want), cool gamemodes and large cast with nice alternate skins
>Nintendo killed it

God fucking damnit
>>
>>339393557
from my understanding, nintendo didn't technically kill it. the pmdt was super paranoid that nintendo would eventually though, so they decided to kill it on their own terms.
>>
>>339373849
It has to do with how melee fags were dicks to anyone playing brawl when it was new. Thru try to act like some professional community but recall most of them have issues mentally and physically
>>
>>339373849

Melee and 4 are both top tier games. The base concept for both is amazing, Melee polishes it off with a huge skill ceiling and interesting competitive scene, 4 polishes it off by having a ton of content, great roster, and usable online.

Yes, Melee is more interesting competitively. Yes, 4 can also be interesting competitively.

Anyone that disagrees with any of this isn't even a fan of smash.
>>
>>339376956
>64fags are cool.

This. I remember seeing a post once comparing a few melee and 64 tournaments. Melee tourneys were full of literal neck beards and tons of memes and people just acting plain old immature. 64 tourneys looked very organized like a gathering of actual professionals. People were well dressed and commentators weren't a bunch of screaming ape niggers.
>>
File: SmashParadox.png (488 KB, 480x726) Image search: [Google]
SmashParadox.png
488 KB, 480x726
>>
>>339394130
Both are true but how does this make you feel? https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/uscis-should-recognize-all-esports-legitimate-sports-so-international-players-can-come-us-p1-visas
>>
>>339393557
They wanted to protect sakurai from getting BTFO so hard. Pulling the
>have you ever made a game
card when modders made a better game than him in half the time. That fucking hack better be done with the series for real this time
>>
>>339394438
nb4
>b-but mods aren't games!!!
>>
>>339394438
>modders
>made a game

Choose one and only one
>>
>>339385814
Cloud can wavedash.
>>
>>339394438

To me, Project M is the best smash game. It combines all the best aspects of Melee and Brawl+Sm4sh into one package.

But it's dead(I think?) so I'm stuck with melee
>>
>>339378789
Holy shit this webm is pretty cool
>>
File: Ryu and Ken Intro.gif (76 KB, 234x116) Image search: [Google]
Ryu and Ken Intro.gif
76 KB, 234x116
SF Players
>Person 1: I like Street Fighter 2 because of the pure footsies
>Person 2: I like Third Strike because of the neutral and tight execution
>Both have a lighthearted discussion about the differences in their respective games and encourage one another to try it out

Smash Players
>Person 1: I like Smash 4 because of the combos you can do
>Person 2: lol Trash4 baby right here! Can't even into wavedash into shiny reflector thingy. Play a real game like Melee. Like getting cucked by your own Dev? LMFAO

Every time.
>>
>>339394028
Buzzwords are cool too, try actually entering tournaments or attending them and seeing for yourself rather than thinking "HMMMM 2 guys here are fat and have beards so therefore it's a fucking meme!"
>>
>>339373849
It's autists vs normies
>>
File: borp is a god.webm (606 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
borp is a god.webm
606 KB, 640x480
>>339395840
Borp is pretty cool.
>>
Because they want to be able to do combos, both of them, and the other game is completely different.

Honestly, i like the roster in 4. Just wish that i could fucking combo without having to do 1 fram links on people that can just mash out of it, you know? My friends want smash 64 hitstun back.
>>
File: Punch Out 35.png (275 KB, 493x624) Image search: [Google]
Punch Out 35.png
275 KB, 493x624
>>339376956
This. The bit about Smash 4 is largely correct. I picked up the latter because it handles perfectly to me. There's nothing inherently wrong with Melee, but I never got tournament-level good at it and I can't be bothered to invest that amount of time. Smash 4 clicked naturally for me, and I also love Mac.

That being said, I can't stand any of the communities. Competition brings out the worst in people no matter the medium, and Smash is no different. The Melee crowd acts like a group for elitists all the time, Smash 4 adherents constantly play the victim card and try to fight fire with fire, and Brawl was just bad. I've never encountered 64 fans.
>>
>>339394028
>People were well dressed and commentators weren't a bunch of screaming ape niggers
You say that like it's a bad thing, black guys historically make the BEST commentators for hype moments in Smash. If someone get's a zero-to-death you better believe I want to hear "screaming ape" commentary over some bland 22-year old white comp-sci student telling me about the bad tech read when I saw the fucking read myself anyway
>>
>>339397508
Get BLACKED then
>>
For those wanting the /v/eekday.

>>339398072
>>
File: ohdear.jpg (3 KB, 106x125) Image search: [Google]
ohdear.jpg
3 KB, 106x125
>>339376956
>Meleefags are pissed off that Nintendo will never make a game that mechanically intense again, even if it was an accident

> even if it was an accident

Why do people say this? Sakurai damn well knew what he was doing when they were developing Melee.

L canceling, the insane play speed, all those mechanics they dearly miss are all intentional. And they knew of wavedashing from all the playtesting but kept it in just to see what the audience can do with it.

I swear the Smash audience believes Sakurai's 100x dumber than them and knows nothing of his own damn creation and it grinds my gears to keep seeing people who perpetuate this mindset.
>>
>>339396138
>smash 4
>combos
You tried 0/10
Also both of those SF games are dead so of course only respectable people are left.
>>
>>339397169
>I've never encountered 64 fans.
it's mostly people in their late 20s spouting memes.
Ok group.
>>
>>339398062
Yes, because enjoying commentary from black people and otherwise valuing them as regular members of society, some good some bad, definitely equates to me wanting to suck their cocks or whatever. spot on
>>
File: Tr4sh.jpg (205 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Tr4sh.jpg
205 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>339398365
No
The only thing that was intentional was L-canceling, which was already in 64.
The game was made in 8 fucking months. Not only is it highly likely that a game made in that timespan would be filled with plenty of bugs, but it's also highly unlikely that sakurai would have the time to have programmers code in all those mechanics that never even made an appearance in an instruction manual.
>>
Anyone posting in this thread criticizing Melee and the community has never entered a tournament or experienced high level play.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>339398960
im pretty sure it's obvious that they're talking about the community on the internet.
>>
>>339398365
I do not for one second believe that jump-cancelled grabs, just to list an example, were an intentional point of design on Sakurai's part

Just because L-cancelling was in by design, and they picked up air-dodge glitches during testing (although by Sakurai's own admission he had no idea how polarizing and significant it'd be), doesn't mean half of the stuff in the current metagame were intentional design choices
>>
>>339398960
>You can only criticize a game if you're a professional at it
ok
>>
>>339399159
>entering a tournament means you're professional
ok
>>
one game is good and one game is garbage
...but which is which?
>>
>>339376956
>their scene WILL eventually suffer once all original GameCube hardware and Melee discs stop working

Which probably won't even happen in our life times.
>>
>>339399250
>or experienced high level play
>>
>>339399338
you don't have to be high level to experience high level.

I'm fucking garbage, but I know a bunch of high level players.
>>
>>339399159
Nobody ever criticizes Melee though, they criticize """""""Meleefags"""""""" for being pretentious and autistic. That anon is saying that the Melee players you meet in real life at tournaments are a very different breed to the guys who sit around on /v/ arguing about how much better Melee is when they probably haven't even played the game for months and are just judging based on their favorite ecelebs and twitch streams

He's right, too. The so-called Melee/Sm4sh rivalry barely exists in real tournament settings.
>>
>>339399026

i.e stream monsters and noobs. Any veteran worth his salt leaves the petty arguments to the children.

>>339399159

>harshly criticizing a game with over a decade of history under its belt solely based off of a few reddit memes and other what other retards here have said.

It's so obvious that whenever someone bitches about Melee on /v/, they're an outsider who has absolutely no clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>339399297
And a ton of tournaments use a Wii with loading the Iso from a SD card/USB already
>>
>>339395540
I think you mean dash dance, and even then it's more that his dash animation finishes really quickly and you can start up another one much faster than other characters.
>>
>>339399297
Wear and tear nigga. Speaking as a small-time TO, damages happen to Gamecubes/Wii's in transit, discs are just a very limited media in terms of lifespan, CRT's are getting scarcer by the day, and many LCD solutions are not cost-effective if you're supplying 10-20+ setups to a larger local, even if there are ways to kill the lag problem

The hardware problem is real. The fact that those in this thread aren't acknowledging it tells me a lot about the relative inexperience in actually attending and helping out at events
>>
>>339399431
>they're an outsider
>>339399403
Just because someone watches high level play doesn't mean they know what's going on, even if the commentary is good.
>>339399404
Well if it's like that then I can understand. I was under the impression he was talking about gameplay.
>>
>>339396857
Same. I play and enjoy both games, but Smash 4 really suffers from not having more hit stun. It's odd because some throws and attacks have a lot of hit stun, allowing characters like Sheik and Mario to chain aerials for years, while other characters have literally no links off their aerials except at low percent.

Also, it could just be me, but combo DI feels so weak in Smash 4. When I'm getting up-aired by one of the million up-air characters, I feel like holding straight left or right still sends me nowhere useful. In Melee if you DI something, there is a significant difference in your trajectory.
>>
>>339399849
>Also, it could just be me, but combo DI feels so weak in Smash 4.
SDI is really weak in smash 4 except on certain moves, like MK's Uair and Bayo's everything.
It's a move specific thing.
>>
>>339399805

>>339399404

This anon hit the nail on the head. The idea that Melee players and Smash 4 players actually have any sort of beef between them is literally a meme. It has been fabricated and perpetuated entirely by idiots on here who aren't a part of either community and just like stirring shit up. It's all a ruse. "Meleefags" and other childish terms need to be retired.
>>
>>339399404
>The so-called Melee/Sm4sh rivalry barely exists in real tournament settings.

I disagree with you there. I went to Genesis 3 and the crowd was full of booing and shouting from Melee fans during Smash 4. That being said, I play both games. If anything, I think Smash 4 fans are even more hypocritical when they start shitting on Brawl and then complain about getting shit on by Melee.
>>
>>339399103
>nd they picked up air-dodge glitches during testing (although by Sakurai's own admission he had no idea how polarizing and significant it'd be), doesn't mean half of the stuff in the current metagame were intentional design choices

And I can't see Double Jump Canceled aerials being overlooked in the playtesting either.

I can accept that idea that those weren't in the design document but I can't see them getting through development unnoticed. They'd have to make a conscious decision to keep them in or not.
>>
>>339392219
>>literally brawl 2.0
Literally shitposting.
>>
>>339400120

Mob mentality I guess? That's disappointing.
>>
>>339400120
desu that's probably because they had to wait for Mango to start playing, and probably don't have anything against 4 itself.
>>
>>339400269
>They'd have to make a conscious decision to keep them in or not
Yeah, so they discovered something unintentional and they "consciously decided" to keep all these accidents in because they were working in a 13-month development cycle which was "destructive" and "painful" by Sakurai's own admission, so they just hoped these accidents would slip under the radar. The fact that they consciously kept accidents in the game because of a short dev cycle doesn't make it any less of an accident.

An accidental conception from a night of drunk sex that you consciously don't get aborted is still an accident child
>>
File: 1462128335702.gif (133 KB, 275x225) Image search: [Google]
1462128335702.gif
133 KB, 275x225
>played Smash 64 and Melee
>had fun and liked it
>played Brawl
>had fun and liked it
>played Smash 4
>still has fun with and still like it

I dunno what's up with people having dissapoints.
>>
>>339400093
Esam and Crush dude. No beef with each other, but Esam hates Melee, and Crush thinks other Smash games hold Melee back. Crush not exactly prominent, but Esam definitely is.
>>
>>339401456
What makes you say that Esam hates Melee? He's a very high-ranking Samus main in Melee and has even fucked with Armada's fox.
>>
>>339399765
I'm not aware how much lag there is on the dolphin emulator with an lcd screen, but when I'm playing casually on dolphin it feels fluid to me. Melee autists may just have to get used to dolphin in the future. It's really easy to bring a bunch of computer with dolphin and melee rom, a lot easier than carrying heavy CRT's.
>>
Smash is one of the few franchises that gets better with every installment. Brawl was only slightly better than Melee, even with all the graphical improvements, characters, and side shit, because the core gameplay was complete ass.

Sm4sh just took the step forward that Brawl should have. Wavedashing, shining, aerial cancelling, and ledgehogging are pure cancer, as are tripping, floaty ass jumps, gliding, and superb recoveries for half the cast with the other half being deadweight off an edge.

Sm4sh also has problems, but at least some of them were addressed with patches.
>>
>>339401456
>but Esam hates Melee
what? Esam plays melee all the time and loves it.

He's said 4 is his favourite of the bunch, but he loves the whole series.
>>
>>339401365
Some people have preferences and standards that you lack. If you can't comprehend that then you're actually autistic.
>>
>>339401365
Different people have different tastes.
Some people like different aspects of the games.
Sometimes those aspects don't carry over to the next game and what they're replaced with don't sit well with some people.

Different strokes for different folks. It's amazing that you can't understand something so simple.
>>
>>339402006
Better get your (You) bag ready, buddy, I'm sure you'll be collecting an awful lot of them
>>
>>339401873
>>339402007
Meant the scenes. Esam hates the Melee scene with a passion of a thousand suns.
>>
Being a melee fan is akin to locking yourself in a closet, and refusing to acknowledge all the improvements the last decade brought to fighting games.

Also Smash sucks, have fun playing only 3-4 characters from the entire roster to be competitive.
>>
>>339378017
>Project M is solid as shit but it gets nothing but shit from both Melee and Smash 4 fanbases.
yeah, cause who wants to deal with daily threads of "Why are you still playing X when Project Shit exist???" and dealing with big brother ex-PMDT every leak that comes?

after what was revealed about 4 Reloaded i'm not falling for PM2.0/comp. smash mods memes anymore
>>
>>339406630
Well this is just bait of the highest caliber, especially considering that the only Smash game where you'd "only play 3-4" characters in the competitive metagame is Brawl, which is fucking dead competitively

But hey, if this thread wasn't so dead I'm sure you'd collect a lot of (You)'s from this little quip, so that's something to be proud of I guess
>>
>>339378804
next you'll say P.Meme saved Melee
>>
>>339398772
>>
File: BuddaClearsUp.png (693 KB, 1279x1889) Image search: [Google]
BuddaClearsUp.png
693 KB, 1279x1889
>>339393557
>>339394438
>nintendo
>sakurai
whut?
>>
>>339376956
i showed this to my friend and this is his response

"Generally incorrect. Meleefags, tr4shfags, pmfags, and 64fags are much different than what this guy said and you can tell he doesn't know this since he said several things that aren't true, such as Gamecube hardware not working eventually and Melee discs running out, if such a thing ever happened it'd be in like 2000 years and by then, we'd switch to playing Melee on homebrew or other custom made hardware (some guy made a custom gamecube that's very small and is designed to run gamecube iso's, it's lightweight, small, cheap, and supports memory cards, controller ports, etc.)
Brawlfags don't exist either, they jumped the brawl ship because they couldn't figure out how to work their own community from controversy so some of them moved to PM, Melee, or tr4sh.
also when I mean (blank)fags, i'm talking about the fanboys. 64fags are hipsters."
>>
>>339393648
>the pmdt was super paranoid that nintendo would eventually though, so they decided to kill it on their own terms.
and according to the last PM thread, they don't wanna admit it other than being dodgy about for no reason.

>tfw that "super-secretive! prease believe me!" PMDT faggot was obviously Strongbad
>>
>>339408292
No, that's what the Brawl community did, or atleast was a big part in it
>>
>>339377676
The same didn't happen with Smash 4 because what doesn't kill ya makes ya strongar
>>
File: The Sharpest Smash.png (156 KB, 648x466) Image search: [Google]
The Sharpest Smash.png
156 KB, 648x466
>>339410012
this
>>
File: sm4sh aimed only at casuals.png (254 KB, 864x458) Image search: [Google]
sm4sh aimed only at casuals.png
254 KB, 864x458
I just wish they stopped pandering to casuals so hard
>>
>>339410316
they are pandering to casuals because that is the majority of the playerbase
>>
>>339410525
That worked so well for the Wii U
>>
>>339410809
it did, wii u sales spiked for awhile
>>
File: Sm4sh player.jpg (66 KB, 600x535) Image search: [Google]
Sm4sh player.jpg
66 KB, 600x535
>>339410316
>posting my image

>>339410525
and? does that hurt the competitive community and melee?

at least it means Sm4sh was never meant to be something to dethrone competitive Melee than something pro-casual and different.
>>
File: grinman.jpg (168 KB, 1250x1250) Image search: [Google]
grinman.jpg
168 KB, 1250x1250
>>339410525
>if it wasn't for the Amiibo meme and the pisspoor 3DS version, the traditional release of Sm4sh would've been dead in water or at least sold a bit more closer to MK8/Melee sales due to 3DS version's non-existance
>>
>>339409286
Your friend sounds like he's right up his own asshole, especially considering he paraphrased what I said about Brawlfags but then acted like it was some kind of rebuttal. Regarding the Gamecube issue, see >>339393143 and >>339399765
>>
>>339393557
Pm was only a bridge between Melee and Sm4sh until 3.5 got released, after that the developers turned it into a Melee wannabe. Fuck 3.5 and 3.6
>>
>>339410525
not true
casuals wouldn't even care if it played like melee
I doubt they even know what melee is
>>
>>339413240
i blame the Sm4sh hype dickriding

so many Mewtwofags and Royfags everywhere back than
and the one fag who couldn't live without flamewars over which smash is superior
>>
>>339413535
the scrubbery of an official nu-Melee will be higher than any Smash.

just saying
>>
>>339402006
You're absolutely right
>>
>>339402006
I only disagree the Melee part, but I agree with everything else.
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.