[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable about doomguy becoming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75
File: Doomguy-color.png (4 KB, 328x448) Image search: [Google]
Doomguy-color.png
4 KB, 328x448
Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable about doomguy becoming a victim of John McClane syndrome?

Die Hard one, the guy's walking on glass and bleeding and being a man struggling
New Die Hard he's throwing cars at helicopters

The original Doomguy wasn't made out to be some super badass, he was just a guy with a gun doing his job and struggling to stay alive.
But with all this DOOM SLAYER nonsense the new game is spouting, it's just completely blown out of proportion, making him out to be some god...

How is ID okay with this? Why didn't they stop Bethesda from turning their literal John Everyman who kills demons into THE TOTALLY EPIC AWESOME DOOMSLAYER
>>
>>339367319
but anon, the doomslayer and the doomguy are two different people
>>
>>339367319
Because it's fun to play as and actually furthers the world and story of Doom, instead of holding it back.

>fun
Fuck you, /v/, it's the most important aspect of a game.
>>
>Bawah the Bethesda bogeyman

Doomguy was never your average soldier just doing his job. He could sprint at 50 Mp/h for one.
>>
>>339367319
>The original Doomguy wasn't made out to be some super badass

You mean the guy who fucked up hell so many times that hell told him to leave and then proceeded to murder the fuck out of two Satan-like beings later on and if we take into account Doom 64 the guy who decided to stay in hell to fuck up the demon's shit and prevent any future invasion from hell?

Yup. Totally not a badass.
>>
is "the titan" supposed to be the icon of sin?
>>
The first song in the first level of the first game was literally Judas Priest's Painkiller. Does that sound like the anthem of a normal guy to you? ID pegged this guy as a fucking superbeast from day one, never forget it.
>>
>>339367725
what? no it isnt
>>
>>339367319
>he was just a guy with a gun doing his job and struggling to stay alive
He was just a guy with a gun doing his job so well hell kicked him out.

Hell. Kicked. Him. Out. In the first fucking game.
>>
>>339367725
The first song is the doom theme, are you high?
>>
Wouldn't Doomguy be completely boned if there was no ammo for his guns in hell?
I understand he got the crucible sword thing at some point but even in the newest game, hell could just send all it's imps scavenging for the earth-ammo and remove it so Doomguy would run out and then he'd be easy prey.

Or is this just an instance where I should not overthink the story?
>>
>>339367319
Maybe if this is his second game

Dude has went through hell and back and stay in it for awhile, it would be sillier if the demons still consider him as a non-threat
>>
>>339367643
I believe it's up to interpretation.
>>
Would he have died if he didn't stay behind in the first game? Was every soldier just as kickass as he was but they got instantly overrun?
>>
>>339368264
Yeah, he'd just have to rip and tear, but hey they didn't so he had bullets.
>>
File: RIP.png (103 KB, 283x244) Image search: [Google]
RIP.png
103 KB, 283x244
>>339367725
FASTER THAN A BULLET!
TERRIFYING SCREEEEAM!
ENRAGED AND FULL OF ANGER HES HALF MAN AND HALF MACHINE!!
>>
I think D44M balanced it quite well. Look at DNF, for example. All the game is essentially ironic and post-ironic Duke praise but he just doesn't feel badass at all. All he does is dicking around and painting walls with shit. The game feels almost insecure in its constant self-glorification.

Doomguy, on the contrary, wakes up and starts killing demons. That's it. He's powerful and he knows it.
>>
>>339367849
>>339368137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4Nel-aHZM
>>
File: 1451772048030.png (200 KB, 356x256) Image search: [Google]
1451772048030.png
200 KB, 356x256
>>339368589
WAIT
WHAT?!?!??!
>>
File: AND.png (89 KB, 431x559) Image search: [Google]
AND.png
89 KB, 431x559
>>339368589
PLANETS DEVASTATED!
MANKINDS ON ITS KNEEEES!
SAVIOR COMES FROM OUT THE SKIES IN ANSWER TO THEIR PLEAS!!
>>
>>339368589
>>339367849
>>339368738

Also No Remorse by Metallica (1:32 onwards)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPA2rEsIgSU

Elements of Master of Puppets too
>>
>>339368589
You need to get your ears checked. That doesn't sound like E1M1 at all.
>>
>>339368589
No
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKhsTXoKCI
>>
>>339368574
dnf should've started with duke being an old fat drunk who lives off his past glory trying to get girls, but always getting turned down and laughed at. when the aliens return he gets redemption.
>>
>>339369034
You're either retarded or trolling. It's literally the exact same notes.
>>
>>339369136
When someone competent buys Douk off Gearbox, I think that's very likely how the following game will turn out.

But for now we're stuck with Bazinga and stale memes.
>>
Where were you when Doom 64 happened and the ending was Doomguy staying in hell to beat the shit out of demons forever?
>>
>>339369006
Yeah, it sounds a little like those.
But it's the exact same notesheet as painkiller, so...?
>>
I really enjoyed how even Doomguy tries to brush aside all of the plot.
>>
>>339368589
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
How is this even a problem?

"Doomguy is too much of a badass now".

What a waste of time.
>>
>>339367319
No, the newest Die Hard was the one in Russia and somehow his son was working there undercover for the CIA or some shit.
>>
>>339367319
Love the new doomguy.
Finally someone who enjoys killing monsters.
Even fucking gerald is fucking depressed all the time.
Also Doomguy wasn't some struggeling hero, he killed enitre armys and fught an offesnive war against hell.
>>
Doomguy got kicked out of fucking hell in the first damn game. The dude was always a badass
>>
>>339367385
No, they aren't.
>>
>>339367319
Because the actual original Doom team is gone, duh.
>>
Doomguy never was an "everyman". He not only managed to dodge the zombification that effected nearly all of his comrades, but also one of the scant few soldiers (through you) capable of lasting more than a few complexes on either Mars moon, the Mars surface/Hell, or Earth.
>>
>>339369006
It sounds more like D.R.I's Hooked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbjMHisK9cg
>>
>>339367319

Hopefully you are the only one, because that's a dumbass complaint.
>>
I just don't understand how the fuck this dude in a high tech futuristic suit is somehow a Biblical ancient demon killer, what the fuck? Doesn't make sense. Also, yeah, what the fuck happened to being a grunt stationed on mars with nothing to do except suck dust and watch restricted flicks in the rec room. Why does nu-Doomguy not even fucking grunt, either. It's ironic that they tried fleshing him out more than the original and yet he feels like a floating fucking gun because he doesn't make a single sound through the whole game.
>>
File: doomguy.jpg (133 KB, 1024x670) Image search: [Google]
doomguy.jpg
133 KB, 1024x670
>>339367319
obligatory
>>
I just appreciate that 4 fucked off with most of its story and settled with "Doomguy is Doomguy, except Doom3guy, that guy is lame."
>>
>>339370402
Huh so it does.
>>
>>339367319
HE FUCKED UP HELL SO HARD THAT HELL HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO LET HIM GO!

This is literally the story of the first game. If anything he became LESS badass in the new game because he had someone helping him.
>>
>>339367319
>Kills evereything on Phobos, Deimos, Earth and Hell...twice
wew lad
>>
>>339367319
Some kind of god? That's an understatement anon. Not even hell wanted to deal with him. What the fuck do you do with a being so wrathful that even Satan trembles before him?
>>
>>339370624
>I just don't understand how the fuck this dude in a high tech futuristic suit is somehow a Biblical ancient demon killer,
he isnt
>>
>>339367319
>How is ID okay with this?

Most people who worked on the first Doom don't work at id anymore.

They sold/allowed themselves to be bought by Bethesda, they don't give a fuck.

They never cared about the story or character of Doomguy.
>>
>>339369332
It's not but I'm surprised how few people know they deliberately copied the song as closely as they could without paying royalties.

It's either a homage, inspiration, rip off, or the same song depending on you and your lawyers opinion
>>
>>339370624
It's explained in Doom 4. Effectively, Hell is a conduit to infinite worlds, and Doomguy, post-Doom 2, travels all over, murdering the fuck out of Hell's monsters wherever they appear, occasionally returning to Hell to fuck them up in person. Doom 4 effectively canonizes any and all fan-made .wads and mods, while not allowing Doom 4 players to make their own mods or custom campaigns. Over time, his mystique grew among the dwellers of Hell, resulting in the legend of the Doomslayer.
>>
File: 1464150067844.png (53 KB, 905x442) Image search: [Google]
1464150067844.png
53 KB, 905x442
>>339367319

He wasn't a super badass but he was still pretty badass considering he fucked up hell pretty bad even in the first game.

I think what you're looking for is doomguy 3 from Doom 3. He's pretty much just some guy who had shit fucking luck on the first day of his job.
>>
>>339371107
He is. Look at that ancient tablet in the Codex entry where he's slaying demons in the praetor suit in ancient times while some dark hooded figure looks on
>>
>>339371175

>Story or character of Doomguy

A character who literally runs around killing shit? What did they change, exactly?
>>
Favorite Doomguy hand models?

Doom 3 for me. Bare arms > everything else
>>
No I really dont give a shit. Its cool and metal lore like. On top of that it makes sense because he has been doing it for a long ass time and is pissed off and more skilled than ever because of all his experience.
>>
Brutal Doom happened.
How weird, a mod changing the game lore.
>>
>>339367319
Because it's fucking heavy metal as fuck
bend over and suck a cock prison bitch
>>
>>339371363
Original is the best, his weird skin colored gardening gloves.
>>
>>339371224
>terrywads are canon

Poor Doomguy.
>>
>>339371245
>He is.
Only evidence for that is from a demon's biased perspective, who have lionized him into some mythological figure. And if he's ancient and Biblical, why does his suit have 21st/22nd century english on it?
>some dark hooded figure looks on
That's you, the player.
>>
This Doomguy is such a wuss that a demon can tackle him to the ground and literally rip his legs off. Never mind that it's impossible to do that way at all...
>>
File: XbYPtPy[1].jpg (42 KB, 499x636) Image search: [Google]
XbYPtPy[1].jpg
42 KB, 499x636
Alright, real talk here.

Doomguy vs Doom64guy vs D33Mguy vs D44Mguy

Everyone is at their maximum strength but with no timed powerups (berserk included). Game mechanics are considered canon and aren't scaled, e.g. Doomguy actually runs at 50 MPH and D33Mguy's shotgun is a melee weapon.
>>
File: doomguy.png (491 KB, 414x600) Image search: [Google]
doomguy.png
491 KB, 414x600
Doomguy was never an everyman.
>>
>>339371467
Fun fact - the artist Kevin Cloud provided the images for Doomguy's arms in the originals
>>
>>339371363
Robin Williams
>>
>>339371224
>>339371496
>hdoom is canon

Lucky bastard
>>
File: pepe eye infection.jpg (61 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
pepe eye infection.jpg
61 KB, 250x238
>>339367319
>Doomguy wasn't made out to be some super badass, he was just a guy with a gun doing his job and struggling to stay alive.
>>
>>339370624
The reason he's a mythical killer is that he was so damn good at it. The demons of Hell were getting his foot so far up their collective asses that they were on the retreat since the day he got there. He killed so many, so often that they sent out their big guns, and watched them get utterly wrecked.
At some point, even God, or at least a fancy angel, noticed Hell was getting its shit rocked. Rather than take Doomguy, teleport him to a therapist on a beach or something, and tell him to calm down, the divine being gives him the ability to never die. He just respawns in Hell.
So Doomguy is whooping so much ass, teleporting all over Hell, and eventually teleports to another reality, where Hell has not tasted his boot. Then he fucks up THAT reality, and teleports out to find more Hells to fuck (devs say this is him doing all the different .wads).

Eventually, the Hell he's in at the start of the game wises up and traps him in a tomb, because they sure as shit aren't fighting him. He's there for a while until the reality attached to that Hell has its own scientists break into hell and try to tap into its power. This is when you take control of Nu-Doomguy. He has already seen this song and dance a thousand times. He might not be ancient, but he has been on an inter-dimensional killing spree for a long ass time.
>>
>>339371651
same reason fucking demons have missiles
>>
>>339371890
What
>>
>>339367319
At least he has shoes
>>
File: homereat.gif (361 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
homereat.gif
361 KB, 500x375
>>339371496
>that one weird time when he appeared in an alternative universe where he was Homer Simpson and all of the demons are Simpsons characters.
>>
>>339371710
D44Mguy wins if anything gets into melee range.
Else Doomguy wins.
>>
>>339367643
No. IIRC there's actually an area later on where you can find the destroyed Icon.
>>
>>339367319
Because its bedshitsa.

Thats why.

The elders kek: you are a demi god
Fallout: you are a demi god
Doom: you are a demi god

You can count on the next frenchise to be butcherd the same way.

The designers pretend to think and slap the elders kek logic on everything.
>>
>Guy doing his job
>Fighting off the hoards of hell alone with enough firepower to start a war

Yeah nah, son
>>
File: Doom,1g.jpg (121 KB, 800x789) Image search: [Google]
Doom,1g.jpg
121 KB, 800x789
>>339367319
It's supposed to be ambiguous whether or not the Doom Slayer is actually the original Doomguy, all we know is that the Doom Slayer has had a lot of experience fucking up Hell in the past. I like to believe that Old Doom, Doom 3, and New-Doom take place in different universes, but the Wolfenstein games take place in the timeline of New-Doom.
>>
>>339371224
It's never implied that custom wads are canon. I think it's only supposed to imply that Doomguy defeated Hell twice, in both original games, which is enough for the demons to fear him. Literally sick of this "all wads are canon" meme, heard it 1000 times now.
>>
>>339372109
D44Mguy has the Gaussrifle with Siege mode tho
>>
I'm tired of this meme. Doom 4 Doomguy is exactly as powerful and badass as he was originally (maybe less so, since he moves a lot slower without haste)
>>
>>339372051
>This is also canon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HNIGb6iqKU
>>
>>339371841
>participates in peace keeping operations in middle east
>destroys CO for ordering squad to open fire on civilians
>sent to mars to help keep it all hush hush
>uac eggheads opens portal to hell
>destroys hell

He's essentially the hero humanity needs
>>
File: Feels good Yoshika.png (130 KB, 390x282) Image search: [Google]
Feels good Yoshika.png
130 KB, 390x282
>>339371895
>hell is filled with qt demons
>>
>>339372135
He gives you a Marineguy toy if you shoot a rocket into his brain
>>
>>339372147
beth didn't even develop doom
they just published it
>>
>>339371224
>>339371496
>>339372051
I posted this on /vr/ something like a week ago while I was drunk but the janny doesn't like any mentions of D44M so it got deleted.

Since D44M canonized every game and every .wad, I think I've put together the pieces on parts of the entire Doom timeline. It all makes sense once you realize the .wad airing order is not the chronological order, and that the only timeline that matters is Doomguy's personal timeline since he's traveling through alternate timelines and universes.
>the original official games from Doom1 to Doom64/Final Doom happen first
>brutal doom happens when Doomguy has had to fight the demons again and again so he's completely lost it
>after that he reaches some sort of enlightenment and starts regarding the demon armies of endless parallel universes as his old pals who just communicate with violence, allowing him to tirelessly complete countless missions
>the more bizarre escapades, like becoming Batman or Pacman, becoming uncornerable and fighting the LAPD, and taking part in the "Extreme Doom Wars" happen one after the other when alternate realities bend like a sine wave and escalate to increasing strangeness
>hitlerkk.wad, all terrywads and wierd shit like rootpain happen one after the other when Doomguy reaches the very top of the multiversal wave motion
>on the way down the "wave" HDoom happens
>Imp Encounter happens a few realities after HDoom when Doomguy is frustrated about not being able to go back
>a handful of jumps after that he shortly lapses back to the brutal days, this is where brutal doom parody .wads happen

However, at this point the timeline gets a bit hazy. And of course the various .wads that haven't been mentioned can be hard to exactly place on the timeline.
>>
>>339372378
This is literally headcanon
>>
>>339371282
It's rather subtle.
>>
>>339372378
I thought autistic people didn't drink. Huh. Learn something new every day
>>
>>339371991
rumor that doom 1 and 2's arms come from robin williams
>>
>>339372378

>Implying he lost it in Brutal Doom

That's when he just got really pissed off. Doomguy completely loses it in Grezzo 2.
>>
>>339370624
>I just don't understand how the fuck this dude in a high tech futuristic suit is somehow a Biblical ancient demon killer, what the fuck?
He's not. The demons made up the whole DOOMSLAYER LEGEND shit in an attempt to justify a sole space marine entering their dimension over and over again for eons to kick their asses.

It's literally damage control.
>>
>>339371841
Boxart guy is different from Doomguy. It's pretty obvious that guy is fucked, and the guy in the background is running to try and help.
>>
>>339372378
>timeline
STOP IT KIDS

JUST FUCKING STOP IT

GAMES AREN'T STORIES

THEY AREN'T TIMELINES

THEY AREN'T ANY OF THIS SHIT

GO TO /tv/ IF YOU WANT THIS SHIT

JUST PLEASE STOP DESTROYING GAMES
>>
>>339372668
>demons damage controlling
oh man
>>
>>339372378
So is every .wad and mod a different interpretation of hell?
So, he only ever kills demons?

Also at what point did he go full GMOTA? When did he turn into a japanese girl?
Are the duke DOOM wads also him?
Is Duke DOOMGUY?
Is Caleb DOOMGUY as well, since there's a conversion mod?

What is going on.
>>
File: 1462767278096.gif (1 MB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
1462767278096.gif
1 MB, 500x313
>>339369006
All right guys, it's time to post your favorite Doom themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjEx292Ph8M
>>
Blame the memes

>le doomguy so faster den sanic xD he punch alien with face xDD
>>
File: 1463364116906.gif (2 MB, 400x188) Image search: [Google]
1463364116906.gif
2 MB, 400x188
>>339372193
>blazkowiczs is kill in a nuclear explosion

>gets sent to hell and joins the night sentinels

>becomes the doom slayer

All my yes
>>
>>339372668
This is such shit, the official canon, whatever the fuck it is, all the ridiculous headcanon, it makes my head spin. Christ, what the fuck have they done to Doom's nondescript but cool story
>>
>>339373020
It's not that complicated. You're just an idiot.
>>
>>339368264
He could use argent energy in his plasma rifles/bfg
>>
>>339372990
Doomguy is BJ's grandson, ya dingus.
>>
File: 52143966_p7.png (192 KB, 700x730) Image search: [Google]
52143966_p7.png
192 KB, 700x730
>>339372852
>When did he turn into a japanese girl?

korean girl
>>
>>339372864

Don't hate on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AizNjv2h5IA
>>
>>339367319
Doom became a meme game made for beta numales.
>>
>>339372864
https://youtu.be/DH_pVzEvFAc
>Countdown to Death (The Gantlet soundtrack)
>01:34:14
>>
>>339372864
Nothing beats the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw
>>
>>339373409
What's wrong with being beta? Unfortunately, we aren't all given good looks, charisma and social know-how. Besides, I don't see how the new DOOM is "for beta numales". Go and look at the official twitter page and see how many normie chads are tweeting id saying how much they like the game.
>>
>>339373409
>A game so wholly focused on RIP AND TEAR, gore, gun play is for "beta numale boogeymen"
>>>/pol/
>>
>>339372852

Is the Chex Quest guy DOOMGUY?
>>
File: doomguy speedpaint.jpg (386 KB, 802x1400) Image search: [Google]
doomguy speedpaint.jpg
386 KB, 802x1400
Op is right, Doomguy was just a vulnerable space marine capable of dying at any minute. The only reason he lives was through your guidance. Doomguy is your self-insert into the game. He has no story, and no name thats why we call him doomguy.
>>
File: jay laughs at you.gif (3 MB, 173x267) Image search: [Google]
jay laughs at you.gif
3 MB, 173x267
>>339367319
>Doomguy is a normal person
>>
>>339373601
I thought that was more of an /r9k/ thing.
>>
>>339373213
In the rpg he is
>>
>>339367319
will we ever getting to play as medieval Doomguy fucking hell up in the dark ages?
>>
>>339373720
When someone's being a shitty human being, always blame /pol/, until /pol/ knows it's unwanted and unloved and well and truly fucks off to Stormfront.
>>
>>339373927
But can't /r9k/ be tacked onto that as well?
>>
File: DooT.png (562 KB, 632x738) Image search: [Google]
DooT.png
562 KB, 632x738
>all these autistic children not wanting to believe that alternate universes can exist in a series about dimension hopping

seriously the story isn't that important, but its fun to speculate
>>
>>339373927
>/pol/ knows it's unwanted and unloved
that's the entire point of /pol/ propaganda
>>
>>339374319
Who knew we'd be having a discussion on Doom lore?
>>
File: Doomguy head explode.gif (40 KB, 239x256) Image search: [Google]
Doomguy head explode.gif
40 KB, 239x256
>>339372738
They represent the same person, How vulnerable doomguy is. How he goes against such impossible odds. The danger and the suspense of the doom world.
Doom 4 gets it all wrong by trying to make doomguy out to be Spartan 117. Who ever drew Master chief wrangling that imp was an idiot
>>
>>339367319
Imagine doomguy haveing to play all of the content of /idgames all the terrywads, all the slaughterwads, and then forced to play brutaldoom for a torturous amount of time.

Id be angry too.

I thank Romero every day that they never game him a real voice other than grunting
>>
>>339367849
I'm pretty sure all the songs in the original doom take elements from real life metal bands.
>>
>>339370853
>rocket launcher
>BFG
>chaingun
WAY more than 200 pounds of equipment.
>>
File: 1462926870860.jpg (5 KB, 177x250) Image search: [Google]
1462926870860.jpg
5 KB, 177x250
>>339367442
>applying real world logic to abstract video game mechanics

This is what an actual retarded person looks like.
>>
>>339374849
not john carmack that's for sure
>>
>>339375508
the gravity on mar's moons is pretty weak

a bike going off a ramp has enough speed to escape the moon
this is also why doomguy probably doesn't jump
>>
>>339374978

http://youtu.be/wh261nfSn3E
>>
>>339374940
That's what happens when you become an ascended meme

>RIP & TEAR
>>
>>339375983
Doom comic was a mistake.
>>
>>339372254
Nothing about the world I thought I knew makes sense anymore.
>>
>>339372864
i find the new version rather rad, tbqh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTms5jpsfP8
>>
File: oh okay.jpg (24 KB, 297x303) Image search: [Google]
oh okay.jpg
24 KB, 297x303
>>339371895
>play hdoom for the first time last night
>you only have a chance to fuck a demon for a short window after its health is depleted
>clear an area of imps
>entire room full of facedown ass up imps and can only watch
>>
>>339372378
And where you put Quake 3 on this?
>>
>>339376276
Speed it up by 1.5x and it sounds even cooler.
>>
>>339367319
Do people not understand the concept of experience or what?

John McClane throws cars at helicopters because he doesn't give a shit. He's still the Everyman at heart, but extraordinary circumstances have made his perspective extra ordinary.

Die Hard 1 JM would not have thought of throwing a car at a helicopter because that isn't standard lines of thinking. Die Hard 4 would because he just needed to get rid of that helicopter and a car was the best tool.
>>
>>339376196
A mistake im happy with
>>
File: Chex_quest_cover.png (404 KB, 500x505) Image search: [Google]
Chex_quest_cover.png
404 KB, 500x505
>this is the doomslayer
>>
>>339376785
>those fucking angry eyes
>screaming face hidden behind the armor
>mercilessly slaughtering aliens

looks about right
>>
File: How to clear a room MSX style.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
How to clear a room MSX style.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>339376442
>Project MSX.wad is where he gets the Praetor Armor
>>
>>339367319
It's called character evolution, I guess.
He started off just doing his job, now he's hell's most feared enemy.
He did his job good, don't berate him for that.
>>
>>339376276
holy shit, that sounds fucking awful.
>>
File: 1330755452157.png (38 KB, 814x698) Image search: [Google]
1330755452157.png
38 KB, 814x698
Well, /vr/ and the doom community makes comics about how badass doomguy is.

Doomguy is and always will be, badass.
>>
File: 1330752283326.jpg (82 KB, 670x758) Image search: [Google]
1330752283326.jpg
82 KB, 670x758
>>
>>339367319
>Why didn't they stop Bethesda from turning their literal John Everyman who kills demons into THE TOTALLY EPIC AWESOME DOOMSLAYER
id made the game, not Bethesda, dipshit.
>>
File: 1330739928427.jpg (35 KB, 600x731) Image search: [Google]
1330739928427.jpg
35 KB, 600x731
>>
>>339367319

u fook'n wot m8
>>
File: 1423863280294.gif (481 KB, 499x315) Image search: [Google]
1423863280294.gif
481 KB, 499x315
>>339369034
Faggot.
>>
>>339367319
Doomguy was always a badass. You're just retarded.
>>
>>339378035
this got me
>>
>>339375818
>a bike going off a ramp has enough speed to escape the moon
FUND IT
>>
>>339378127
this is dumb. the butt has a latch that splits open to stick the shells in the close end of the barrel, not the far end.
>>
File: stop, don't be a baka.jpg (248 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
stop, don't be a baka.jpg
248 KB, 640x480
>>339378127
This is bait right?
>>
File: 1330743861086.png (89 KB, 580x2109) Image search: [Google]
1330743861086.png
89 KB, 580x2109
>>
File: 1377860434683.jpg (24 KB, 300x282) Image search: [Google]
1377860434683.jpg
24 KB, 300x282
>>339372254
>>
>>339367319
It's obvious they took their inspiration from Brutal Doom and the Rip & tear comic.
>>
game had too much plot among other stupid bullshit that wasn't necessary
>>
I always tought Doom Guy was suposed to be a parody of Ash.
>>
>>339367385
They aren't you stupid fucking retarded sack of shit it's the exact same guy.
>>
>>339378636
Groovy.
>>
File: 1383872531505.png (122 KB, 400x378) Image search: [Google]
1383872531505.png
122 KB, 400x378
>>
File: TheBFG.jpg (281 KB, 485x719) Image search: [Google]
TheBFG.jpg
281 KB, 485x719
>>
File: 1408088865459.gif (324 KB, 340x255) Image search: [Google]
1408088865459.gif
324 KB, 340x255
>>
>>339378820
>That one Archvile.
Accurate revenant locker.
>>
>>339372254
>this is also canon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWL7czAd4JU
>>
>>339379259
Fucking lol I didn't even notice it.
>>
>/v/ is already bitching enormously about lore and BETHESDAAAAAAAAAA RAAAAAAAAAAPE in a game with minimal story and most classic inspired gameplay in years
>>
>>339371897
dumb frogposter
>>
File: 1421687370295.gif (613 KB, 255x144) Image search: [Google]
1421687370295.gif
613 KB, 255x144
>>
File: 1330752213082.jpg (133 KB, 670x1012) Image search: [Google]
1330752213082.jpg
133 KB, 670x1012
>>
File: 1440544358537.gif (960 KB, 245x250) Image search: [Google]
1440544358537.gif
960 KB, 245x250
>>339379409
>>
>>339367319
He was that way at the beginning, but only because it was his first encounter with Demons. And even then, he made it out alive which implied that he was incredibly capable and not just an "everyman". Then Doom 2, Doom 64, all the WaDs that are now canon, etc. By the time hes The Doomslayer, he's been through so much shit, it's turned him into the unstoppable force they describe him as
>>
File: 1330752631228.png (138 KB, 613x2498) Image search: [Google]
1330752631228.png
138 KB, 613x2498
>>
>>339375849
That ending tho
>>
>>339379671
>I better switch to my pistol

No one has ever said this while playing Doom.
>>
>>339367319
You've missed the point entirely. This was Id looking for a way to tell a story about the character without bothering to do it. If you asked doomguy what his story was it would be literally : I kill those faggot demons, and I like it.
Its not a bad way to do it, they did it like metroid prime, they gave you the option to see what your enemies think about you.
That doesn't mean your character is a mythical killer or that the story adds up, because its a story told through gameplay and from the eyes of your enemies.
Even in metroid prime this was very clever because it allows you to draw your own conclusions without substantially changing any sort of canon.
To the demons hes the Doomslayer, to you he still just Doomguy if you want him to be.
If in the sequel they give more explicit support to "lore" then I'd complain but as it is, its just there to be fun.
>>
>>339379409
so is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkuKTBVly08
also typical brutal doom player
>>
>>339367319

OP, you're just another dribbling Cry-Wolf idiot over Bethesda. The new Doom is great. Doomguy is fucking awesome, as he's ALWAYS been. No Everyman can fight against an endless legion of demons.
>>
>>339368264
if they did that he'd just find the hexen weapons
>>
>>339379409
>>339380082
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsW4OkKOm4
>>
>>339367319
>not paying attention to the lore from previous games
Fucking underage fag, he was blessed by both angels and demonic betrayers alike out of pure RAGE.
>>
>>339380076
this explanation pleases me

d44m's still low replay value and underwhelming though, and nothing will make me not regret buying it on release

>i fell for the fucking snapmap meme

how am i meant to make wads out of fucking prefabs for a single area
>>
>>339375659
>says the faggot who wanted him to be muh everydayman regular joe
>>
>>339380358
i never knew mass murder could be so profoundly boring
>>
>>339377773
thats because thats the old scrapped one. The guys told mick gordon "that isnt right" and then he fixed it.
>>
>>339376583
>>339377773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_FcybvR6rA

The first part is the correct version.
>>
>>339367725
Die Krupps - The Power
>>
File: Tasty.png (1 MB, 1086x924) Image search: [Google]
Tasty.png
1 MB, 1086x924
>>339367319
I dont know. To me Dooms lore was always "You are Doomguy. Here is gun. Hell is faggot. Rip and tear." and I think the new Doom captures that perfectly.
Its fast paced, colorful, doesnt take itself seriously nor preach any message. Just mindless violence.
>>
>>339373619
This would also mean Noah from the Bible is DOOM GUY aswell...
>>
>>339367319
I can kinda see your point. Doom 4 basically turned Doomguy from feeling like an action movie hero into more of a comic book superhero. I almost felt like Doomguy would be right at home with the Justice League or Avengers.
>>
what were the doom wads that were a parody of modern shooters called?
>>
>>339383518
Do you mean Modern Doomfare?
>>
>>339383875
no. The wads were more a parody of modern shooter stories
>>
Is this game worth buying? I want a new shooter and I'm on the fence about this one
>>
>>339368574
Also weird alien rape jokes
>>
>>339371175
>They never cared about the story or character of Doomguy

Neither did Carmack.
>>
>>339383518
Brutal Doom
>>
Just finished Doom 4. Who the fuck were the Wraiths supposed to be?
>>
File: 1408368753772.jpg (13 KB, 171x171) Image search: [Google]
1408368753772.jpg
13 KB, 171x171
>>339384510
>>
>>339367319
Because you can't satisfy the brutal doom audience without them ebin glory kill finishers that make the player feel like a xXxPwnz0rKill3r666xXx.
>>
You could argue that in E1 he's just a guy trying to survive, but the at the end of E2 the ending text says he rappels down into hell intent on killing more demons as revenge and then the end of E3 Hell gives him a portal to get back to Earth so that him gets out of Hell.
>>
>>339367319
No? Doom was never rooted in reality. You run like a fucking race car and can take multiple fireballs/rockets to the face.
>>
>>339384616
Aliens.
Hell is an alien dimension that links up with infinite other dimensions. They eventually get someone outside to open a portal, and then invade and assimilate. The Wraiths were the power source of some alien dimension, and Hell struggled to conquer them. Eventually they got one of the Wraith guardians to betray the others, took over, and assimilated the dimension into Hell.

It is suggested that the Wraiths are the true source of Argent energy, and Hell became significantly stronger once they beat them. Also, the betrayer was damned to hell for eternity, and eventually got a chance to redeem himself by forging the praetor suit for doomguy.
>>
>>339385318
So Doomguy canonically just shows up in these infinite dimensions to kick demon ass? As I assume the infinite dimensions are supposed to represent all the wads out there
>>
>>339385509
Yeah basically. He stayed in Hell after Doom 64, fucking their shit up, and occasionally hopping out into dimensions Hell was breaking into to fuck shit up there. That's where the .wad canon thing comes from, but it's less "these are canon!" and more "they could be canon, wink" because there are some weird fucking .wads
>>
>>339367319
>The original Doomguy wasn't made out to be some super badass, he was just a guy with a gun doing his job and struggling to stay alive.
Where the fuck are you getting that from, and why are acting as if Doomguy's "character" was sacred somehow
>>
>guy was smiling psychotically when he found a new gun
>Rambo'd army of demons
>he wasn't a badass guyz

Doom was always more akin to John Woo movies than to Saving Private Ryan.
>>
>>339385824
I have to assume that Bethesda has a sequel or DLC planned at this point too right? I mean the game ended on a cliffhangar.
Also I really want to actually get to fight the original Titan
>>
>>339386012
I mean probably. They want that money, the end was a cliffhanger, and reception has been great. Fighting your way up and out of Hell to smash Hayden's robobits when? D55m

And me too senpai
>>
>>339367424
>the world and story of Doom
LOL
>>
File: 1423706113883.png (202 KB, 429x277) Image search: [Google]
1423706113883.png
202 KB, 429x277
>Zenimax dumps everything into advertising the multiplayer and barely acknowledges single player.
>Single player is being widely praised and almost no one gives a fuck about the multiplayer.

Man I hope someone high up on the corporate ladder is feeling stupid right now.
>>
>>339374940

Or maybe you're the idiot for thinking a guy that literally brings Hell to its knees multiple times is a "vulnerable" average man.

Doomguy was always a murder god. Get over it, fag.
>>
>>339372738
Nope. Last scene of the credits in Doom 4 is this exact scene and he still starts kicking their asses.
>>
I kind of appreciated the DOOM SLAYER bullshit myself, because if D44M is a kind of sequel to the originals, it makes sense for the demons to see him as some unimaginable force to be reckoned with. The exposition doesn't actually matter, it's just reminding you who you're playing as, and his past accomplishments.
>>
>>339386463
Doomguy was always a self-insert who could die easily at any moment. Get over it, fag.
>>
The remade doom once into a modern "horror" "thriller" game like dead space or some shit.

And all the fans were like "Fuck this, this isn't Doom, Doom's about action and being a boss and dodging fireballs, not about small enclosed mine shafts, scares ammo and cheap jumpscares.

So they made the games they thought the fans wanted. An action shooter much more like the originals.

TL:DR devs can't please everyone, If you don't like this doom, go play doom 3.
>>
>>339387589
What if I like both version of doom?
>>
>>339386984

He dies in episode one and gets back up in Hell and continues his rampage. Its fucking canon that even if he dies it only stops him temporarily, you dumb fucking retard. Doomguy isn't a massive pussy like you project him to be.
>>
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE YOU HEADCANON RETARDS

ONE IS A FUCKING ANGELIC WARRIOR ONE IS A NORMAL MARINE

HOLY FUCK
>>
File: idort.jpg (9 KB, 252x252) Image search: [Google]
idort.jpg
9 KB, 252x252
>>339387739
>>
>>339387739
Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>339373641
He's only capable of dying any minute if you suck at the game.
>>
>>339387789
He's a regular human that has been blessed by META with respawning.
>>
>>339387589

I'd actually recommend people who'd rather have another DOOM 3 to get better taste instead, but what you said is good too.
>>
>>339387789
New Doom takes place after Doom 64 you fucktarded fucking imbecile idiot cunt besides at the end of first episode of first Doom you fucking die then continue to wreck their shit. Doomguy was never an everyday joe you beta cuck.
>>
File: sok.jpg (357 KB, 1170x1920) Image search: [Google]
sok.jpg
357 KB, 1170x1920
Can the Dooomguy kill The Saint Of Killers?
>>
>>339388810
Once again, more headcanon. You guys are fucking hilarious, NOWHERE is it implied he is the same guy, it's implied he was sent from heaven to fight hell and that he is one of or the leader of the paladin dudes that show up at the end
>>
>>339386405
You'd really have to struggle to find a good corporate decision made by a big video game company in the last 5 years. The only one that comes to mind was the Fallout 4 announcement coming out of fucking no where.
>>
>>339389053
You're real dense. None of that shit you said was even vaguely implied.
>>
>>339389053
They give you a codex anon. Read it.
>>
>>339389053

They deliberately left the lore vague and open for interpretation. If people want to believe he's the same Doomguy then they're no less right/wrong than you are.
>>
>>339367319
He WAS just a normal guy. You didn't listen to any of the slayer testaments, did you. They say that he was empowered by a seraphim from heaven, and his armor was reforged by a traitorous demon. Or something to that effect.
>>
>>339389214
No, that guy denying is definitely extra wrong. It's open but not open to angelic night sentinel doomguy.
>>
>>339388960

They would be stuck in a stalemate for the rest of eternity. Eventually they'd probably both say "fuck it" and stop fighting pointlessly.
>>
>>339367484
yeah but it was earned, not some pre-determined mystical god bullcrap.

What happened to player characters just being spectacular human beings? Why do they have to be cosmic demonslaying nightmares foretold by ancient prophecy mumbo jumbo?
>>
>>339389357

I don't know, there are a lot of clues that do point to him being a former Night Sentinel, but there's also a lot of clues that point to him being the original Doomguy.
>>
Send the Doomguy into the warp to help that guy trapped there.
>>
>>339367643
No. There's a level that takes place within the decaying innards of a massive demon.

That's the titan.

The Icon of Sin does make an appearance in the Necropolis level though.
>>
File: 1459614288263.jpg (906 KB, 789x940) Image search: [Google]
1459614288263.jpg
906 KB, 789x940
DEEPEST
>>
>>339389659
I thought it was pretty clear that all the night sentinels but the betrayer died, and that the betrayer made the praetor suit for doomguy. It seemed like a lot of people thought D44mguy was the betrayer, but that "just wants to see his dead family" back story runs totally counter to the one dimensional murder presence the rest of the game builds for him.
>>
>>339389483

There's literally nothing wrong with a character who goes from average soldier desperately fighting for survival to God of Demon Murder. It's a natural progression of his character. He started out as a nobody and became a fucking legend. He fought hard to earn his "Doomslayer" title.
>>
>>339389659
Why not both? Either Doomguy has been around since the start of recorded demon history, with the original games taking place in the first age, or doomguy bumbled into the sentinels while he was parading around hell and joined up with them.

The demons are convinced its the former.
>>
>cool
when he punches stuff
doesn't talk
Rip & tear when he picks up a berserk powerup (its actually good here and not overdone like executions)

>not cool
"Blah blah blah u are the DOOM MARINE John"
glory kills - hey guise am i ripandtear yet?
>>
>>339389739
If you did that he'd probably become a new Chaos god.
>>
>>339390016

Some people also think that Doomguy might be the son that was returned to the betrayer as a demon.

I hope they never fully explain in detail. Lore discussions and debates like these are a lot of fun.
>>
>>339368304
I personally liked that demons were scared shitless of him after he kicked their asses so many times.
>>
>>339389990

The Necropolis seems to be a graveyard for Titan demons, which could be why the carcass of the Icon of Sin is there.
>>
>>339372864
>tfw no love for sandy city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhCNx-8Qos
>>
>>339370624
He isn't. The demons just mythologized this guy who so handily kicked their asses.
>>
>>339390104

That too is also very possible. I think what they were trying to go for was give us lore "building blocks" to allow us to construct our own backstory for Doomguy. A pretty cool idea.
>>
>>339389053
At the end of D64 Doomguy stays in Hell, Doomslayer from new Doom was said to wreck hell so hard he had to be entombed. It's the same guy retard.
>>
>>339367319
They nerfed everything about him in the name of upgrades, what happened to the ammo packing gun slinging train of a man?
>>
>>339390487

I don't get the hate for The Pit.

i mean that hitscan ambush clusterfuck if you pick up the rocket launcher is total shit, but the rest of the level has always seemed fine to me.
>>
>>339390998

I think a lot of the hatred seems to stem from if you pistol start the level there's barely enough ammo to get through it. But yeah, like you I always only thought that stupid chaingunner ambush was the only bad thing about the level.
>>
Speaking of the new DOOM, is anybody else bothered by the fact the final boss is too easy? The fight that happens just before it is much harder.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.