[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to rhythm game genre,/v/? Is it dead? The only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 83391143.jpg (93 KB, 640x577) Image search: [Google]
83391143.jpg
93 KB, 640x577
What happened to rhythm game genre,/v/? Is it dead? The only rhythm games that seem to come out these days are vocaloidshit or that weird drum game that only gets released in Japan.
>>
Rhythm Heaven is coming though
and its called Taiko
>>
The best Final Fantasy game is a Osu clone. And it got a Dragon Quest sequel.
>>
>>339337083

If anything, we've been having a surge of rhythm games this gen.
>>
>>339337083
pretty sure a bunch of them get released on iOS and Android now
>>
>>339337469
Rhythm Heaven is the only rhythm game that tries to do something different, I hate that this is the last game.
>>
>>339337083
I'd have to imagine that the huge crash of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchises scared a lot of publishers away from making them, and rhythm games that didn't come with some kind of peripheral were never really that common to begin with.

>>339339172
This guy's right, though. I still go back to play Curtain Call every once in a while.
>>
Rhythm genre isn't dead, it's just fallen prey to procedural generation, just like a bunch of other genres.

It's especially not dead if you play arcade games, or get the data from dubious places.
>>
>>339337083
>Rhythm Heaven
time to fap
>>
>>339339172
>Osu clone
Maybe it's because I play it with buttons, but it doesn't play anything like the Ouendan/EBA games. That said, the game is still good and I'm grateful it has so many songs.

That said, Rhythm games are far from dead, there's the Miku games, Taiko, DJ Max and others like the persona one, IA/TV, Miracle Girl Festival, Starlight Stage and School Idol Festival.

It just isn't as mainstream in the west like in the past generation due to the lack of Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
>>
File: you_feel_lucky_punk.jpg (173 KB, 999x1300) Image search: [Google]
you_feel_lucky_punk.jpg
173 KB, 999x1300
>only one Miku game came to US 3DS
>after a week around release, Sega USA releases a public fill-up form for fans with many questions including "if we were to release another (Miku) game, will you purchase it?"
>team behind Miku Mirai is disbanded and the Mirai DX is the last one
>"will you purchase it?"

>>339340893
>last game
Jesus.

There's also a rhythm game made by Gamefreak that was only released in E-shop, but many anons claim it sucks. Dont know if it was too easy or something, or the songs suck.
>>
>>339342417
I have to add, when they made the fill up form, it was for Mirai 3DS DX, so they werent asking about others (Vita's).
>>
>>339342417
>rhythm game made by Gamefreak

HarmoKnight? Yes, it's a rhythm game disguised as a platformer. The songs weren't that memorable except for the extra pokemon stages.
>>
VOEZ on iOS is pretty cool and free, especially if you're into the anime aesthetic
>>
>>339342417
HarmoKnight wasn't bad but it wasn't super great either. It's just ok
>>
>>339342413

Well aside from the sadistic spinning wheel, pretty much everything else from Ouendan is in Theathrythm. With variations of course. Theathrythm feels like what Ouendan might have turned into if it got made on the 3DS. Basically, a better UI.

That being said, I hope IndiesZero keeps making the games. And that the next incarnation of the game will fix it so the FMS levels will have better button controls. I always have to play those with the stylus because the triggers don't register right with button controls. Also, why did Curtain Call remove the story mode? It was a great way to play all the levels without having to play the randomized quests.
>>
File: chaika eating grapes.gif (4 MB, 294x524) Image search: [Google]
chaika eating grapes.gif
4 MB, 294x524
>>339342775
>by the developers of Cytus and Deemo
Ok I'm checking this out
>>
>>339342824
Yeah, a rhythm game with forgettable music makes for a forgettable game. But it was fun enough for a play.
>>
>>339343556

The music wasn't so bad. I actually disliked HarmoKnight because the timing seemed to be off. I tried to hit notes directly on step, then with a few milliseconds before and a few behind. Nothing seemed to work. The game just seemed to decide what was on cue at random.
>>
>>339337083
Ouendan (both games), EBA, and Theatrhythm are the only good rhythm games with depth.

WHEN ARE WE GETTING THEATRHYTHM POKEMON
>>
They just announced a DJMAX for 3DS
>>
Did the new Rock Band or that Guitar Hero Live abomination sell decently? Seemed like the marketing died really fucking fast.
>>
>>339342417
Yeah, Harmoknight is pretty lame.

Curtain Call and Rhythm Heaven are the better rhythm games on 3DS. Rhythm Heaven is only good if you haven't played the rest of the games in the series, though. Because 75% or more of the content is from the past 3 games.

I would have preferred if, instead of making easy versions of the past songs in the first part of the game they just used the normal ones and made harder "sequels" to every game then, that would have made it worth the import.
>>
Taiko is a fantastic rhythm game series, you faggot.

Can't wait for the next one in 2 1/2 weeks!
>>
Still playing Xonic and gonna buy DJMAX Respect for ps4
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.