[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good multiplayer turn-based RPG's like Dragon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: dq9.jpg (492 KB, 1000x897) Image search: [Google]
dq9.jpg
492 KB, 1000x897
Are there any good multiplayer turn-based RPG's like Dragon Quest 9?
>>
File: princess_chen.png (19 KB, 255x163) Image search: [Google]
princess_chen.png
19 KB, 255x163
Dragon Quest X
>>
File: 1462595186020s.jpg (3 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1462595186020s.jpg
3 KB, 124x125
holy shit this game brought back my love for jrpgs man. nostalgia hits hard.
>>
>>339330589
NEVER EVER
>>
As a fan since Dragon Warrior on NES, 9 is in my top three games in the series.
>>
>>339329427

No. It is literally the only one.
>>
>>339332026
Shit dude that sucks. I've already played through the game 3 times now with my bro and friends, if I gotta go through Swine Dimples again I dunno what I'll do.
>>
>>339329427
Is there a translation for ni no kuni ds? It seems to give the same vibe as dragon quest.
>>
File: Grand_Knights_History_Cover.png (302 KB, 256x440) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Knights_History_Cover.png
302 KB, 256x440
>>339329427
This but online was shut down which sucks because its gameplay relied on 40-55% of it being online. It has an enlish patch but the game is pretty bland without online and it has as much of a story as the Monster Hunter series.
>>
>>339332818

The English patch also only translates the first chapter and half the menues. So sad that there's three amazing Vanillaware games with no translation.
>>
>>339332506
Oddly there's only a spanish translation.

Fantasy life feels like a spiritual succesor to dq9 though
>>
>>339333135

Fantasy Life is basically every idea they wanted to put into DQIX, but couldn't. Including the combat engine.

But since it was done by Level 5 without Horii, it also lacks all the good parts of DQIX. Much like how Ni no Kuni feels like DQVIII with all the good parts removed.
>>
Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu III, Legend of Oasis. There's some.
>>
>>339333016
>The English patch also only translates the first chapter and half the menues.
Nah, it was finished like a couple of years ago.
>>
>>339333469
>turn-based

Nevermind.
>>
>>339333494

Well that's good news. The one I played just last year was incomplete. I need to find the upgraded one.
>>
>>339333563

DQIX is turnbased and you're an idiot.
>>
>>339329427
Fuck the niggas that say this isn't the best DQ game
I got to play the whole thing through with my bro back when it came out. The multiplayer was fucking amazing.

Take a look at DQV if you liked the core of the game
>>
I love this game. But I see so many flaws in it that remind me why I stopped playing JRPG's. But I can't stop playing. I don't know why.
>>
>>339334554
Biggest flaw is no facial hair options
>>
File: class1.jpg (363 KB, 1194x784) Image search: [Google]
class1.jpg
363 KB, 1194x784
>>339333628
Not sure if the links still work but just look up the 1.16 patch if not. Game is fun until you realize everything is pointless without online.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/grand-knights-history-english-patch-alpha-looking-for-help.365958/
>>
>>339334554
What flaws? I loved it so much.

The atmosphere, the story, the villages, the combat system and job advancement.
>>
>>339334957
>the majority of the game is the classic tale of
>go to a place
>there's a problem
>you solve it
>you leave

>alchemy is a chore since there's only one place you can do it

>despite the high demands of later recipes, shops never sell anymore than basic ingredients, and you have to wait a long time for the items to respawn in the overworld

>this makes alchemy not a viable alternative to grinding for the money to get better equips

>you have to go through a second menu to access the alchemy list equip list and bestiary, making checking it frequently inconventient

>depth in pretty much any of the characters is locked into post final boss quests, leaving feeling the the characterization was really shallow for a long time

>grottoes are really samey and mostly locked until post game

>stella is hella annoying

but somehow its triggering a phenomenon in my brain that makes me keep playing, hunting for ingredients and grinding grottoes. Why?
>>
File: 1402972801764.png (17 KB, 423x561) Image search: [Google]
1402972801764.png
17 KB, 423x561
>>339334957

Not that guy, but the flaws of DQIX were:

-Super slow battles in a series known for having some of the fastest battles in turn based gaming
-On screen enemies were not handled as well as they could have been
-Dungeons had lackluster design compared to other DQ games
-Lumping all the multiplayer content to the end game caused the main single player game to lack side quests
-Many of the side quests and end game quests were just fetch quests, like an MMO
-The story for the single player game was the weakest in the series save maybe DQVI
-The alchemy system was completely ruined
-Having to connect to 30 unique people to unlock all of the Inn
-Really horrid translation

All of this said, its still a good game and arguably the best RPG on the DS.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.