[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can anyone explain how a half a press exists without using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 885x.jpg (123 KB, 885x509) Image search: [Google]
885x.jpg
123 KB, 885x509
So can anyone explain how a half a press exists without using buzz words and phrases like "looking at it in isolation" (you can't look at it in isolation, that's retarded) or "for the sake of simplicity" (it's not simple, it's retarded)?

Hint:you can't
>>
>>339279370
>setting the conditions
Why not just play Mario Maker?
>>
Because it's actually zero A presses. This star adds zero A presses to the run, it's just that the previous A press before entering the level is preserved through it.
>>
>"""""Henry"""""
>>
>>339280080
So it's zero then; an a press is an a press, you can't just say that it's only a half
>>
>>339280307
Okay, """"""""""""Henry""""""""""""-
>>
>>339280397
Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahah my favorite meme!
>>
>>339280307
It is zero.

However, the strategy for the stage needs the button to be held beforehand. Since the stage isn't the complete run, you need a way to say "using a previously held press" that differentiates it from "requires a new A press" since the only people that do this kind of thing do it for the entire game.

There are no half presses in a full run. Holding before you start is still one press, and holding it when the game ends doesn't mean the last press is only half. It just means "I held the button before starting this particular star."
>>
File: 1437706714303.jpg (244 KB, 1846x1212) Image search: [Google]
1437706714303.jpg
244 KB, 1846x1212
>It's a Henry thread
>>
>>339279370
He explains what it is.
He says a half press is going into the level having it already being held down.
That's what it is defined to be in the video.
>>
I haven't played SM64 in years but I have some knowledge in programming, sorry if something is incorrect

Because the programming of SM64 takes 2 inputs to make mario jump

One for the frame A button is held and for the frames A button is held down. When you press and release the A button that makes mario jump which would be common sense to call a single jump or an A press.

So the control flow for the SM64's jumping I/O would be

If A is pressed this frame > Give mario -Y acceleration
If A is held down this frame and Mario is mid-air > Increase Mario's Y level accelearion based on the length the button is hold
If A is held down and ground is touched > Start the jumping procedure again (Give mario Y-level acceleration)

Now as you can see A being held and A being pressed are two different inputs the program calculates. Since Mario touching the ground or not is not calculated based on the input and rather a variable defined by Mario's coordinates it can be boiled down to just these two.

Now when you play SM64 you need these two inputs to jump at all times, without them there wouldn't be A pressing. So we count this as 1 A press
Since he is doing a run for a specific level and not the whole game he doesn't include the inputs he made previous to starting the level.

Thus he eliminates half of the A press input required to make mario jump, making it a 0.5 A press.

Hope that explained it.
>>
>>339282256
Mario actually jumps on the first frame A is pressed. It's not a programming thing. Holding it is a separate action involved in things like hovering and kicking.

"Half" a press is just a way of saying you held the button before entering the stage, so you can hover or kick without needing to jump first.
>>
File: Fresh_de5b14_5811481.jpg (243 KB, 540x2306) Image search: [Google]
Fresh_de5b14_5811481.jpg
243 KB, 540x2306
>>
>>339281363
He explains it like a retard, it's not a half just because it was already pressed before
>>
File: 1462649154184_0.png (932 KB, 1253x914) Image search: [Google]
1462649154184_0.png
932 KB, 1253x914
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.