[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any recommendations for some good, classic RPGs that don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg (139 KB, 241x388) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg
139 KB, 241x388
Any recommendations for some good, classic RPGs that don't require too much moving around, are completely turn based, and light on story?

I ask because I often have enough downtime to play maybe 1 or 2 minutes of a game at a time, so I use my phone to play a couple of turns and put it back. Problem is a lot of RPGs past FFIV use ATB or action gameplay which touchscreens are total ass at.

Some ones I found work well:
>Dragon Quest 1-4
>Final Fantasy 1 and 3
>SNES/GBA Fire Emblems (though a bit too much story to read)
>GB Pokémon games

I'm interested in the older SMT games because I love the PS2 ones but I'm not sure which ones are good and have translations.

I've thought about some old PC games too such as Wizardry, and Japanese PC games if they have translations.
>>
Glory of Heracles
>>
Gen 4-5 srpgs work well since they're turn-based and generally only have a combat menu or basic map between battles, although some can be pretty story heavy.

Then again, if you weren't really interested in the game having a story to begin with, you could always just skip stuff.

Also emulate the SNES version of FFIV. The original doesn't have ATB, that's only in the ports.
>>
>>339152991
If you can emulate DS games, try The Dark Spire and SMT: Strange Journey.

Sadly I think most PC rpgs like Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder, Path of Radiance and so on are out of question for you.
>>
>>339153607

SNES FFIV had ATB. The meter just wasn't displayed until it was re-released (for a second time) on the GBA.
>>
>>339153494
Good one, didn't think of that.

>>339153607
I'm currently playing FFIV on my Vita at home so don't really need to. Did the original version of V have ATB?

>>339153774
I might try those two, I have a good phone but the battery is starting to get worn so I don't want to kill it. Though a new one would only be like $20. Strange Journey sounds perfect, though, and I've been meaning to try Dark Spire for years.
>>
>>339152991
>I'm interested in the older SMT games
Playing soul hackers on the 3ds right now and I'm having a blast. Check it out.
>>
>>339152991
SMT 1 and 2 have decent translations, but watch out for the first game translation if you're used to the newer SMT games. The moves aren't dubbed with the names the series has later like Zan and Agi
>>
>>339152991
>I'm interested in the older SMT games because I love the PS2 ones but I'm not sure which ones are good and have translations.

Between the original Megami Tensei, Megami Tensei II, the original Shin Megami Tensei, and Shin Megami Tensei II, the only one with an official translation is SMT1, and only for iOS

But they have fan translations.

All are generally considered good games. SMT2 is probably the best of the four.
>>
>>339153995
>Did the original version of V have ATB?

Yes.
>>
>>339152991
Play wizardry 6,7,8 and import your party between all of them.
>>
>>339155286
Also if you want to play the earlier wizardry games with better graphics, you could emulate the console versions.
>>
>>339156147
You miss out on save importing though.
>>
>>339152991
Etrian Odyssey is your game, my man. Get a 3DS and you can play every installment in the series, or emulate the older ones on your PC. They're all worth trying, but EO3 for DS is often called the best.
>>
>>339152991
>>339156686
Also, if you've played Nocturne, try SMT Strange Journey. It's amazing
>>
>>339156686
I actually agree. EO is a good entry to DRPG's because it's not too difficulty or complex while still having a bit of depth and build diversity.
>>
>>339152991
Don't go for the imitators, play Wizardry.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.