[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a 4k machine /v/. Got a nice mobo and a nice monitor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Building a 4k machine /v/. Got a nice mobo and a nice monitor and that monitor uses Freesync. What would be a good card for that, I was thinking the fury or one of those wacky 2-in-1 cards you commonly see.
>>
>>339134626
>AMD
>Closed loop gpu cooling
>Single card for 4k
>>
>>339134710
this

just get dual gtx980ti's with the green glowing letters on the side and make a custom loop

go hard or go home

or buy a console if you aren't a real gamer
>>
Wait for a ti1080
>>
>>339134821
Keep hearing dx12 will make the fury and alike cards way stronger
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (4 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
4 KB, 256x192
>>339134821
>mfw my 1080 arrives and hour ago and you on about the ti already
>>
I know that the Nvidia doesn't typically stand a chance for 4k because of how shit they are with vram and memory in general, but is the 1080 a legitimate competitor for 4k and VR?

inb4 tomshardware shills
>>
>>339135771
no, but the 1080ti will be if you SLI
>>
wait for vega, senpai :^)
>>
>>339135771
4k 30fps? yea probably
>>
>>339135771
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAeUvZ5FcKU

So long as you're not expecting 60 it's alright.
>>
>>339134626

>4k 60 FPS

Please stop this meme. Get a 1440p monitor with 120 or 144hz refresh rate and get a comparable image that also doesn't look like a fucking slideshow.
>>
You are going to have a bad time. 4K is very hard to push on current cards and even the GTX 1080 doesn't do it well - perhaps the 1080ti will change that but by then AMD has released their cards, so who knows what can be recommended by then.
I've been running SLI 980tis on 4K for a while before "downgrading" to 1440p@144Hz for actual gaming and keeping the 4K screen for everything else.

Generally Crossfire/SLI are your best bet but don't expect to run demanding 3D games well - that's before considering how few games support SLI/CF to begin with.
I'd personally suggest going with a single card right now and upgrading once decent ones become available - there's simply little point in throwing a lot of money at two high-end cards when they don't even get the job done well enough.

If you still want to force 4K right now keep this in mind: The Fury doesn't have enough memory, you want at least 6, means going with the 980ti, Titan(X) or R9 390, the latter being a mid-range card that will have performance issues but you can get 2 of them for the price of a 980ti.
With Titan(X)s the price is so ridiculous and the performance for the price so lousy that you're still better off with 2x 980tis.

One last warning: You'll have plenty of scaling issues. Games don't handle 4K well at all, most aren't even compatible. Video and web content is rare and looks awful when stretched, most OS GUIs don't handle scaling well either. You are an early adopter and will get little help from the industry. Recording content, even at half-size, is out of the question as the ASICs can't handle the input bandwith and doing it via software consumes your CPU performance.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.