[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK, what the hell is wrong with me? I've heard nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13
File: doom_cover.jpg (90 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
doom_cover.jpg
90 KB, 854x480
OK, what the hell is wrong with me?

I've heard nothing but praise for this game, and while I do think it's aesthetically a home-run, I can't help but dislike the gameplay.

I'm 3 missions deep and nothing I do feels good. Every combat scenario is just "run in circles, spam weapon X, throw grenade, do melee finisher, repeat."

Whenever I heard people talk about how GOOD this game felt it made me so pumped to play it. Now whenever I hear similar remarks it makes me so frustrated because I just don't know how anyone could feel that way.

What's wrong with me, /v/?
>>
You have the need to justify your views to an online community.
>>
>>339079613
Don't worry it's published by Bethesda so I'm sure other people will shit on it for no good reason too.
>>
Nothing is wrong with you. You just have taste. The reason you here so much praise is because of marketing.
>>
It sucks you just fell for the meme hype
>>
>>339079613
You're growing up
>>
>>339079613

you need to be 10 years old again to enjoy it.
>>
It's a pure, no-bullshit shooter with solid mechanics (if a little lacking in imagination) which isvwhat everyone wanted.
Really everyone's just surprised that it didn't turn out completely awful, ot's having a kind of inverse Bias Confirmation effect.
>>
File: cute banana.jpg (34 KB, 349x500) Image search: [Google]
cute banana.jpg
34 KB, 349x500
My only problem with the gameplay is that the Super Shotgun is a little too powerful with all of its upgrades.

But I also only played on Hurt Me Plenty so take that for what you will.
>>
>>339079613
If you ask me? Nothing.
I'm seriously relieved to see FINALLY someone else that's not blinded by the insane hype and praise made by desperate fucks that have let their standards drop thanks to a full decade of casual console trash.

I already predicted D44M to be shit when the first footage was released, and now that I've played the game, my views were only strengthened. It really is one problematic, tedious bag of crap.

Full of cinematic shit, including cinematics.
>guns suck, unless you upgrade
>barely can hold any ammo, unless you level-up
>Checkpoints.
>maps are linear pipes connecting obligatory combat arenas you get locked into.
>platforming sections.
>you get around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, at best. No Pinkie packs.
>rune challenges are just annoying filler.
>everything glows.
>some fucking robo guy literally handholds you through the game, via radio.
>no mods, and the Snapmap is literally just all about connecting handful of pre-made rooms together, with strict enemy limit.
>only 4 players max in Snapmaps.
>MP is Gaylo-tier shit.
>Spider is the last boss, and is not hitscan anymore either.
>bosses have HP bars
>ending was literally a slap to face + "lol, look forward to teh sequel, goy!"

Just watch me get assaulted by "lol didnt even play teh gaem!" and "WTF are u nostalgia fagget??" people.
>>
>>339079613
>throw grenade
People actually use the equipment?
>>
>>339079654
Not really, I was just hoping someone would agree because I hear nothing but conflicting opinions and it's making me feel like a crazy person.
>>
>>339079613
You fell for the marketing. It was really obvious too, I don't know how you couldn't see it.
>>
I just played it for an hour today. Already requested a refund.
>>
>>339079835
>Just watch me get assaulted by "lol didnt even play teh gaem!" and "WTF are u nostalgia fagget??" people.
Don't forget the ever-popular "I totally played all those old shooters and it's a great game!"
>>
>>339079736
>>339079738
>the apologers have arrived
DooM (1,2,64) are still fun today, even to a relative newbie to the series like me.
Blood and Duke 3D are still total blast.
Serious Sam 3 was brilliant, fun modern take on a classic shooter.

But Doom4 ? It just does not do anything to me. Something about it annoys me constantly. It's definitely NOT a throwback to the "good ol days" like people claim. Instead, it's now a linear arena-shooter, with the typical tacked-on RPG mechanisms of 2010s, that I've hated since the beginning.
>>
>>339080075
Maybe they meant that you have adult taste.
>>
>>339079868
>>339079717
>>339079724
To be fair I usually fall in line with the current gaming zeitgeist.

I think most of the "shill" spouting on /v/ comes from trolls or /pol/tards, and I doubt marketing is as heavy as people make it out to be.

That being said, holy shit I've never been more blindsided.
>>
Nothing really. It's okay for people to have different tastes. Not everyone likes everything. I've never cared for the Zelda games, even though everyone else seems to like them. It's when you think that just because you don't like something that means it's shit, that's when you have a problem.
>>
>>339080285
I don't think my tastes have changed that much in ages, if ever. I can still go back to original Doom and likes, and get total enjoyment out of them, no matter that I did not grow with them (I was a Nintenkid up until mid 00s). Similarly I can go and play some old "kiddie shit" like Spyros, Zeldas and Super Marios, and get the same enjoyment from them as always.

But D44M? It's not doing anything. It feels very....conflicted, confused of its identity. It wears a Doom-like skin, but does not feel Doom. Yeah, it's a step up from typical CoD shit, but that does not exactly make it "magnificent" in my books just yet.
>>
File: American Automotive.gif (2 MB, 350x189) Image search: [Google]
American Automotive.gif
2 MB, 350x189
>The same trolls posting the same posts in the same contrarian thread over and over.

You never change /v/
>>
It's ok not to like it anon

here's a tip for you guys

up the difficulty, get better, get faster and increase the FOV
>>
>>339080613
Sorry if you actually feel that way. I thought I gave enough examples to appear like I gave the game a chance rather than just disliking it to be cool.
>>
>>339079835
I agree with literally every complaint you have with the game, yet I enjoyed every moment and it'll probably be my GOTY.
>>
>>339079613
Have you played the old Dooms? If not, thats whats wrong. Its essentially updated Doom. Hallway, arena, shoot.
>>
>>339080753
Don't be silly anon, /v/ taught me that you can't like a game and criticize it at the same time.
>>
>>339079613
>Whenever I heard people talk about how GOOD this game felt it made me so pumped to play it.
That was only the marketing people on /v/

Never believe anything you read about a game within 3 months of its release.
>>
>>339079613

>melee finishers

One you should get on nightmare instead of shitposting on training wheels difficulty.
>>
>>339080307
It's a known fact that Bethesda markets on this board. Blizzard as well. People like to throw the word "shill" around a lot so it's hard to tell sometimes but with these two companies you can easily copy and paste their text into google and find the exact same text on tons of other gaming sites.
>>
>>339080613
ever thought, you know, that people actually could dislike similar things when talking about one specific product?
Sorry for not circle-jerking around this flavor of the month game of yours. I just find more cons than pros about it, and it just baffles me that people are this hysteric about it.
>>
>>339080741

The OP doesn't like the game because he thinks it "feels" wrong. This is subjective taste, NOT and objective criticism on the game itself.

>If you don't like the game, a-ok. That doesn't make it a bad game.
>>
File: 1463591425454.png (176 KB, 494x468) Image search: [Google]
1463591425454.png
176 KB, 494x468
>>339079613
>oh a door that requires a blue key, I'm sure I'll have to go on quite a detour to seek this out
>it's right there around a corner
>a """""secret""""" is visible right on the ledge above it
>refundeed
>>
>>339080883
>Have you played the old Dooms? If not, thats whats wrong
uhh... nope?
Not OP, but that's literally backwards logic. If you dig OG Doom and its "clones" of the early years, you won't get the same kind of experience from nu-Doom.

D4 is literally like a Quake 2: PainKiller RPG edition. Doom was never about locked combat arenas or platforming.
>>
File: 1464031920387.jpg (191 KB, 653x826) Image search: [Google]
1464031920387.jpg
191 KB, 653x826
>>339079613
>2016
>still being a cod kiddie
>>
>>339081270
It's just the tutorial level
>>
>>339080883
Except that original doom was nothing like that, you fucking imbecile
>>
>>339079835

DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW
>>
>>339080613

It's actually an autistic faggot but he is right about the game being a piece of shit. Now go shill the game somewhere else shill.
>>
>>339079835
>Full of cinematic shit
Not really
>>
>>339079861
>You have the need to justify your views to an online community.
>Not really
>I was just hoping someone would agree because I hear nothing but conflicting opinions and it's making me feel like a crazy person
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (75 KB, 993x538) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
75 KB, 993x538
>>339079613
>What's wrong with me, /v/?
>I'm 3 missions deep
The game picks up once you get to Hell for the first time, unfortunately by the time that happens there won't be that much of the game left. I'm not going to say the game is perfect, in fact its far from it. I'd give the game a 6/10 for a single playthrough, though my personal score for it is 7/10 if only because I keep coming back to try and beat Ultra-Nightmare.
>>
>>339081298
The problems OP has with the games is exactly how Doom was back then. iD gave Doom fans EXACTLY what they wanted. Doom 4 is nothing more than brutal Doom.

So no, iD/bethesda didn't screw up. They hit the nail, and if my intuition is right, they will dish out a DLC soon to rake in the big bucks.
>>
>>339082002
>42 hours
Explain to me what in the devil's name have you been doing all this time.
>>
>>339082340
100% Ultra-Violence save, 100% Nightmare save, trying to see if SnapMap isn't completely worthless, and trying to beat Ultra-Nightmare.
>>
>>339082504
Oh never mind. I thught you were meme arrowing.
>>
File: shitposting.png (72 KB, 923x411) Image search: [Google]
shitposting.png
72 KB, 923x411
>>339079835
You're copy/pasting this in literally every DOOM thread. Why not just filter the threads if you hate the game so much?
>>
>>339079613
its not a good game. not liking the game is perfectly healthy. My main gripe? The fatality to get health back bullshit. Its just like Duke Nukem Forever.

Just glad i bought it on steam so i could refund it.
>>
>>339082806
that's what I thought too at first about the glory kill mechanic but then later in the game when shit got real and I needed health it forces you to be more aggressive and take the risk to glory kill when you're in trouble

it's a fun risk/reward mechanic that works well in DOOM especially on the higher difficulty settings
>>
>>339082240
>making a Brutal Painkiller w/ upgrade trees was what fans wanted
I don't even wanna know these "fans".

>>339082787
I tend to copypast a lot of shit, because I tend to repost lots of things. Tired of typing same crap over and over again.

Also, I want to contribute. OP is a good proof that I'm not alone with my dissatisfaction towards D4, and if possible, I want to let other people know why it's like that.

Like I've mentioned earlier, there is a small silver-lining to the release of D4 as well; just maybe we'll get more ACTUALLY well done, properly oldschool shooters (and who knows, games from other now dead genres too) from now on.

Since Serious Sam 4 is already confirmed, with very likely Talos-like inspirations when it comes to map-design, I got something to look forward to. Meanwhile, I seriously hope Bethfucks come to their senses and release a proper SDK to D44M.
>>
>>339080572
>I can still go back to original Doom and likes, and get total enjoyment out of them

Everyone knows that rose-tinted glasses aren't a thing, and nostalgia is just a fake concept that greedy corporations made to convince the populace to buy old and outdated products.
>>
Played it.
It was mediocre.
Come at me marketers.
>>
>>339084031
That's just ur opinion, and I respect that
>>
File: brutal-doom-fatality-pinky.jpg (131 KB, 800x453) Image search: [Google]
brutal-doom-fatality-pinky.jpg
131 KB, 800x453
>>339083779
>I don't even wanna know these "fans".
So you have absolutely no idea of what has been happening in the Doom community for the last 15 years. Wonderful.
>>
>>339079613

Your complaints kinda remind me of people who don't like RE4. "The game is just shoot heads, walk up, roundhouse" or "Every area feels the same". I can't even begin to relate because RE4 just feels near perfect to me and I feel very similarly re: NuDoom
>>
File: nogutsnogory.jpg (195 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nogutsnogory.jpg
195 KB, 1920x1080
>>339084213
Or this.
>>
>>339079835
At least you finally took the L and removed the "glory kills are mandatory" bullshit out of your copypasta.
>>
>>339084213
I thought I did.
>D3 was "SO SPOOPY!" meme, but ultimately looked down as a bad DooM game
>tons of WADs still got released each year
>Brutal Doom caused a major interest spark towards DooM few years ago, for being so edgy (+ people used it like a hi-res patch it seems)
>fast forward few years, Wolf:TNO is used as the fancy marketing tool for DooM4
>Doom64 EX is released, and creates increased interest towards Doom64.

did I miss something?
>>
>>339079613
>What's wrong with me, /v/?
Nothing is wrong, the game is mediocre.
>>
>>339079613
Which difficulty? Just like in the original Doom, it is Ultra Violence, Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare or bust.
>>
>>339084783
dunno why that's not actually there. Re-added.

Have any of you actually tried to play the game without GKs or upgrades?
>>
>>339084812
>Doom64 EX

Is that the recreation of Doom 64 in the PC game? I remember hearing that was garbage and you're better off just finding a Doom 64 cartridge for you N64.
>>
>>339085153
Spamming glory kills on Nightmare will get you shit on, so yeah I have because you have to.

Putting it back in just shows that you haven't actually played the game on any non-child difficulty.
>>
>>339085012
difficulty settings do not make a tedious and bland gameplay design any better, broski. In D44M's case, you just die quicker.
Not to mention, Bethesda did the #1 sin and locked the higher difficulties away from player until they beat the game.

>>339085240
Yes, it is.
And no, you have heard wrong. Doom64 EX is not a "recreation" of Doom64 like Absolution and such were. It's an actual reverse-engineered ROM, made to run on Windows systems, with added GUI and tweaks to make it more enjoyable to run.

It's the definitive way of experiencing D64 on PC.
>>
>>339080572
>I can still go back to original Doom and likes, and get total enjoyment out of them

The actual original Doom or one of the source ports that change shit? Those changes the source ports add may not seem like much but they can seriously change the feel of the game.
>>
>>339079613
That's usually what happens when you play on the lowest difficulty.
>>
>>339079835
Literally didn't even play the game lol

Jesus christ, another summer is upon us.
>>
>>339085413
I don't know about you, but I did not have fun in D44M until I played Ultra Violence. Hurt Me Plenty was exactly how the OP described it, but Ultra Violence was when I saw how good the game is. Then I unlocked Nightmare and it felt better again.

I don't know, I feel like the difficulty changed the game in my perspective.
>>
>>339085357
It's not whether you can spam it or not, and on which difficulties. It's all about the fact that you cannot play the game enjoyably without using it at least once in a while. It's almost the same as ignoring health-pack items in the original, and only trying to live off the blue vials.

Had they at least given the choice to disable the game-halting animations, like even Brutal Doom had with its rip and tear modes, it'd been already easier for me to swallow.

>>339085498
I've used zDoom for a while now only to get widescreen support and easier to reconfigure controls, since I've noticed modern keyboards have horrible ghosting issues, making KB-only gameplay near impossible. I've been thinking of switching to Chocolate Doom, though.

>>339085741
I've been here more than a decade, sonny. As sad as it sounds.
>>
Play it on nightmare difficulty. Hurt me plenty was definitely just running around casually blasting shit away. Nightmare requires more calculated movement and quick thinking constantly and encourages secret finding more because you need to upgrade as much as possible early in the game. Nightmare makes the game three times more fun
>>
You're dead inside. Nothing will ever taste good again. You could crank the difficulty up but you're a corpse, and dead people can't know the joy of the living.
>>
>>339086686
>encourages secret finding
>because you need to upgrade as much as possible early in the game
way to kill my last strings of excitement for good.
Seriously, fuck these tacked-on upgrade systems in shooters!
>>
>>339087135
Without it, people would be bitching about the weapon variety. What would you have wanted instead?
>>
>>339087389
...why?
Has anyone ever complained about that in original Doom ?

In fact, the pointless introduction of the Assault Rifle is MORE annoying to me in D44M, because it adds just another bullet-hose gun to the game, which already had one, the iconic Chaingun. Said AR also only hurts Rocket Launcher (which is already underpowered as hell), since the most commonly used upgrade adds that crazily OP micro-missile rack. Not to mention it's yet another nod towards the CoD audience, with the ADS mode it has.
>>
>>339086686
>Play it on nightmare difficulty.
you forgot to say that difficulty is locked
>>
>>339087767
Not in the original Doom, no. But if it wasn't added and D44M went with a straight copy of Doom 2's weapons with no upgrade system or Salt Rifle, people (both fans of the originals and new people) would have bitched.
>>
File: 1458159117544.jpg (106 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1458159117544.jpg
106 KB, 601x601
>Want to play the game
>It's still too expensive
>No crack in sight
>>
>>339087973
Wat

It's just colored red, it isn't locked
>>
>>339088446
it is
fuck me
>>
>>339087767

>RL
>underpowered

If you mean possibly the best gun in the game and essential to nuke stunned enemies on Ultra Nightmare, sure

Both the triple lock-on mod in general and the remote detonation mod's last upgrade are so good, I don't even know which is best. On a raw UN playthrough you're obviously going to be using the triple rockets one a lot more simply due to it taking time to unlock the other
>>
>>339088189
I don't believe that's the case, or that the flak would've been as severe as you claim.

Besides the anemic pistol, Doom's arsenal was always well balanced, with different guns fitting a different role in different situations. there was a perfect balance in things, and that's essential in game design.
As a bit more modern example, Serious Sam 3 had mostly the same arsenal as in the past ones, with new coat of pain. There was literally one new addition, and it filled a quite nice niche gap, being still universally handy tool if necessary, but not overshadowing every other weapon either.

SS3 even remedied the TFE and TSE's old problem of Minigun replacing the Tommygun once you got it, by not only making the AR surprisingly strong and accurate, but also use its own ammo.

If anything, Doom4's devs fell to the old trap of trying to appeal to everyone, instead of designing one solid, satisfying experience. The upgrades and accessories further underline this fact, as "trying out different things" is now one of the most marketed reasons for replaying the game.
>>
>>339089269
I immediately lose all interest in what people are saying when they bring up either the upgrade systems or the batshit insane difficulty mode.

Sorry for demanding more cohesive and satisfying design from my games from the get-go. Doom 1 and 2's experience does not significantly change depending on the difficulty you choose (besides Nightmare, of course), you just get more things trying to kill you on each level.
>>
>>339089768

Nightmare in this is similarly the "fuck you" difficulty. An Imp will deal like 70 damage with a fireball

UV is the optimal difficulty for a first playthrough and not even easy

The upgrade system is incredibly unobtrusive. You hit R to toggle a weapon's mod (its alt-fire basically, the main shot always remains the same) and that's it. Some weapons don't even have weapon mods, like the pistol, SSG, BFG, etc.
>>
>>339088338
video games are a luxury you've heard it before I'm sure
>>
File: 1374022491557.png (458 KB, 591x410) Image search: [Google]
1374022491557.png
458 KB, 591x410
>>339090092

i'm sorry i have to play the git gud card but if you legitimately cant handle nightmare on your first run through, you're either a consolefag on a controller or just not very good

possibly both
>>
File: 1457807809702.png (353 KB, 459x360) Image search: [Google]
1457807809702.png
353 KB, 459x360
>>339084627
>those filters
>that gamma
>that ui
>freelook
>>
File: 1464035451167.png (125 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1464035451167.png
125 KB, 300x300
>>339079835
i saw this prediction weeks ago, holy hell the shills gave you the thrashing.

anyways, the reason no-one's arguing you is because the shills have left with your money.

their job is done and now overshills are doing the same now, guaranteed
>>
>>339079861
eh dude
>>
>>339080075
doom 2 is terrible without mods
>>
>>339081270
you've posted this before
>>
>>339079835
look at this shitter who hasn't touched it
>>
>>339092721
its just 1 weeb who keeps spamming his pasta and anime memes
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.