[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anything pre Demon's Souls Fromsoft games worth playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: Shadow_tower_box.jpg (18 KB, 330x327) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_tower_box.jpg
18 KB, 330x327
Anything pre Demon's Souls Fromsoft games worth playing for a soulsfan?
>>
kings field, especially kings field 2 (or just kings field in the states)

shadow tower is not really that great, at least not the first one, I mean if you just want some retardedly hard shit that explains absolute nothing to you, and has no music just go ahead and play shadow tower, but you will probably quit before you get anywhere, since the first mobs can basically one shot you and your armor breaks so fast, and all your stats are based on your armor, including hp.

otogi is pretty great too.
>>
File: char 1.png (98 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
char 1.png
98 KB, 800x600
King's Field and Shadow Tower are pretty much the same thing, albeit first-person, much slower, simpler.
>>
>>339075004
you could drop the shitty drawn out Souls universe for a while and play something far more interesting by Fromsoft

>Echo Night
>Echo Night 2
>Echo Night: Beyond

had a blast playing these pure adventure games.
>>
File: 015.png (62 KB, 396x600) Image search: [Google]
015.png
62 KB, 396x600
>>339075515
I completed it. It's not that bad.
>>
Kings field and shadow tower is
Random Drops: the game.
Your life litteraly depends on rare as fuck random drops.
Do not play them.
>>
>>339075004

Not really, I fell for the kingsfield is like souls meme, it's not very good though. I only got souls because I was a big armoured core fan, glad I did though.

Otogi, Metal wolf chaos and Ninja blade are fantastic actions games though.
>>
>>339075004
3D Dot Heroes is good, but they only published it. There's also Armored Core if you're into that sorta stuff.
>>
>>339076863
>3D Dot Heroes is good, but they only published it.

not OP but I want to try this. heard it's a good Zelda clone. is this on PC or PS3 only?
>>
Shadow Tower Abyss is the only good one. The rest are unbearable.
>>
>>339076638
>Kings field
>random drops
Seems like you took your own dumb advice.
>>
>>339075004
All of From's early dungeon crawlers are fantastic. If you like that kind of game at all, I'd recommend them highly. Shadow Tower 1 is still their best game, but I'd recommend playing through the King's Field series first since it's pretty unforgiving if you jump straight in.
>>
>>339076962
PS3 exclusive, pretty fun from what I remember.
>>
I'm sad no one mentioned Cookie and Cream, it's a great puzzle game.
>>
>>339077376
alright. well maybe it will get a PC release later somehow.. thanks.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (174 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
174 KB, 1440x1080
>>339075004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gasJewwN8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE_T4eAzuA4
>>
last raven because it's the dark souls of armored core
ACE R because it's the dark souls of how to kill a fun franchise
>>
Yes they're good, don't expect Souls from them though. If you want games like Souls then play Severance Blade of Darkness, which feels like a Demon's Souls prototype in many ways. Otherwise they are really good games. King's Field 4 and Shadow Tower Abyss are the best starting points. Both are easy to get into and have fancy graphics in comparison to the other games which look rough as hell.
>>
both Otogi games were awesome back in the day, I don't know how well they aged though
>>
File: HG_JAP_Cover_Front.jpg (39 KB, 337x478) Image search: [Google]
HG_JAP_Cover_Front.jpg
39 KB, 337x478
>>339075004
Start with Shadow Tower Abyss.You will need translation patch. GOAT atmosphere and spooky world. Also lotsa weapons and even firearms. More of an survival horror, but isn't that hard and you will get used to first person dungeon crawler mechanics. Also many of them like destruction of armor and weapons were later featured in Souls games. That's why it's best starting point for Souls player.

Then play King's Field 4. It's basically Demon's Souls, and DeS borrowed much from this one. Atmosphere again goat. Very similar to absolutely dead DeS world. You will need time to get used to SLOW AS FUCK rotation speed, but once you do you will have a blast. Final boss is shit though, combat system isn't made for bosses (I guess that's why after so many shitty boss fights From decided to make a game based on them).

Then play King's Field 2. Best KF game. Period. Seamless world, even better than in Dark Souls 1. It didn't age that good though imo, but definetely worth a play.

You can skip KF1 and KF3, not worth your time. Shadow Tower 1 should be played last for true masochists. Features everything from Abyss, but is so damn unforgiving, masochistic and dark (there isn't even music in it), I could't bring myself to finish it.

Also highly recommend Echo Night series if you are fan of great atmosphere. Nothing to do with Souls, just great games from From.

Hungry Ghosts is definetely worth a playthrough. Quite unknown gem, unfortunately no translation yet. I played blind without understanding shit, but dope as fuck gameplay and spooky dead atmosphere were worth it,

If anybody knows games with similar atmosphere to Souls series please add, More of a fan of DeS atmosphere - its dead and hopeless world is so damn melancholic, dreamlike and depressing.
>>
>>339076748
I thought ninja blade was considered crap? or is it just not as good as ninja gaiden or dmc?
>>
>>339077520
I legitimately can't tell if that is a mecha or a guy in armor.
>>
Do not play Eternal Ring.

It is one of the shittiest games I've ever played. Stick to King's Field and Shadow Tower.
>>
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
WE WUZ ROBOTS ND SHIET
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZV7X94UFA

when u were a fromsoft fan since the 90s and now they sold out
>>
>>339078471

I think it was considered crap at the time but that doesn't mean much nowadays. It's better than dmc but it's not hard like Ninja Gaiden. It's just a really well crafted action game.
>>
>>339079046
After seeing gameplay I have no idea how you think this is better than DMC, unless you're talking about the reboot and not DMC 1, 3, 4.
>>
Anyone played Eternal Ring?
>>
>>339079607

Yeah I meant the reboot.
>>
>>339078293

>You will need time to get used to SLOW AS FUCK rotation speed

That persists throughout the series? Damn. That's one of the things that made me drop the first Kingsfield. I don't mind the other slowness, but being killed because my character turns around like he was hit with a slow motion spell just pisses me off.
>>
>>339075515
>retardedly hard shit that explains absolute nothing to you and has no music

OP was asking for anything PRE-Souls series.
>>
>>339079983
I will amuse you - KF4 has fastest moving speed, but for some reason slowest rotation speed in whole series. Yes, it's even slower than KF2.
>>
>>339077493
Doubt it. It has been years since the game came out. Better jump on the PS3 game.
>>
>>339075004
Armored Core. All of them
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.