[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain Asari reproduction to me. Is still don't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10
File: Asari_commando.png (208 KB, 437x671) Image search: [Google]
Asari_commando.png
208 KB, 437x671
Explain Asari reproduction to me.

Is still don't understand one lick of it.
>>
>>339066181
They have both vaginas and blue cocks, they tuck the cock between their legs and hide it inside their pussy. They reproduce just like humans.
>>
>>339066181
A fetus requires a complete genetic code to be viable because the genetic code is what programs for all the cells and structure of the body. Sexually reproducing species usually come in two sexes wherein each sex produces a gamete that contains half of the genetic material needed for a fetus. This is to instill a certain amount of genetic variation which reduces the likelihood of compounding genetic errors to build up in a lineage (inbreeding) as well as susceptibility to disease or parasites. This genetic material is merely code in the same way that a house's blueprints are merely information: the actual building is only done by the impregnable sex.

Asari do not have two sexes, they only have one sex, one that is capable both of impregnating and becoming impregnated. Instead of providing a physical gamete that transmits genetic information, they transmit said information through telepathy or receive it the same way. Returning to the blueprint analogy, if two-sexed reproduction functions as though a man physically gives a woman half of a set of blueprints, and with the complete set she builds a house by herself, an asari would either copy or fax over the half of the blueprints they are giving/need.

The special thing about asari is that they are able to do this with different species while still producing asari children. So they take blueprints written in Chinese, translate them into English, and build a house.

Make sense?
>>
It's like a mind meld thing
>>
Ever seen a duck have sex
>>
>>339066181
"Just Cuck My Shit Up" the race basically
>>
>>339067313
A+ post
>>
File: 1368178045276.jpg (52 KB, 560x840) Image search: [Google]
1368178045276.jpg
52 KB, 560x840
I can show you a video if you want

It's not for a blue board
>>
>>339066181
They're sex toys for NEET virgins basically. Asari have no standards regarding their mates, they will actively try to fuck with a jellyfish.
>>
>>339067313
Kinda, but why is it better for them to use other species? The lore is quite clear it's better for them to do that.
>>
>>339067880
genetic variation
>>
>>339067880
>The lore is quite clear it's better for them to do that

it's not, from where did you get this

the only negative is the possibility of ardat yakshi kids
>>
>>339067313
How does a creature evolve the capacity to take mental/nervous signals from alien species and convert them into genetic code that produces viable offspring?

It's like code on a computer, you can't stick C++ into a java compiler and expect it to pop out an executable.
>>
>>339068072
Biotics
>>
>>339067880
Probably just the whole Ardat-Yakshi thing. Which is pretty bad, but it kind of makes me wonder how the Asari survived long enough to reach interstellar spaceflight and other species if it's as big a problem as they make it sound. That is, unless it's intentionally overblown in the writing.
>>
>>339067631
is it the
futa liara reverse POV
>>
>>339068072
>How does a creature evolve the capacity to take mental/nervous signals from alien species and convert them into genetic code that produces viable offspring?

intelligent design

aka protheans
>>
>>339068072
They sample the genetic material with the instruments between their legs.
>>
Asaris have wet assholes
>>
>>339068175
There are probably animals on the Asari homeworld...
>>
Parthenogenesis.

A form of asexual reproduction which requires sexual acts to initiate the reproductive cycle. Seen in some lizards where an all female population simulates sexual acts on each other which triggers an asexual reproduction process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis
>>
>>339066181
your thoughts are like jizz to them and they gobble up as much as they can and make a new asari out of them.
>>
>>339067880
It isn't better for their species. That's just a cultural thing that was put in place once they started interacting with other sentient space faring races. They believe an Asari "gains" more from being made from combining Asari with another race and frown upon Asari on Asari. They believe nothing new is gained in the process thus not furthering their species genetics. It's pretty silly actually as their entire races evolved around this process before entering space.
>>
>>339068190
The Protheans made the Asari?
>>
>>339068505
The Asari didn't evolve they were designed by the Protheans.
>>
>An asari provides two copies of her own genes to her offspring, one of which is passed on unaltered. The second set of genes is altered in a unique process called melding, also known as the joining.

The second set of DNA is "scrambled" when they mindfuck someone, producing enough variance to pop out a genetically distinct child.

But it's a pretty shitty system since they're fairly genetically homogeneous
>>
>>339068672
You find that out in ME3? I gave up after 2.
>>
>>339066181
First you have two asari that think another asari is a good idea. They beat thier chests and start bellowing and drinking prodigious quantities of fungus brew. Finally after two minute of "ya dirty git imm bash 'ur skull in" they charge at each other. When they meet its head on in a literal sense knocking each other to the floor. The explosion that ensued creates a new life.

I think this is how orks reproduce and not asari. My bad
>>
>>339068175
Ardat yakshi probably weren't that common an occurrence, and it's mentioned that historically they were revered as avatars of their destruction goddess.
>>
>>339068626
didn't make them but extensively meddled with them
>>
>>339069002
I bet you were laughing your ass off at how funny you are the entire time you were typing that up.

you're the only one
>>
File: mind-flayer.jpg (16 KB, 300x262) Image search: [Google]
mind-flayer.jpg
16 KB, 300x262
>>339066181
This is what they actually look like. What you're seeing ingame is an illusion.
Xeno scum.
>>
>>339069173
You sure showed him.
>>
>>339069303
don't get too sad about nobody laughing guy
>>
>>339067880
They think mating with other species gives them more insight or knowledge into them or some shit.

Plus, the offspring are genetically asari with some personality quirks. Imagine if you could mate with both genders of another species and the resulting child will always be yours. I'm sure after a while, in addition to their crazy lifespan, they'd become the dominant species in population. Kinda like what's happening in Europe with muslims or whatever, but at a greater scale.
>>
>>339069479
I'm sure that sentence probably meant something in your head.

But it actually doesn't.
>>
>>339067570

It's copy pasted from a /r/askscience you fucking retard.
>>
>>339067313

Literal turbo nerd
>>
>>339069713
Hes a fucking retard for not being a NEET who patrols all boards and reads every thread ever posted? I think in fact you are the retard friend.
>>
>>339066181
Something something bioware something something blue fanservice something something bodysuits for everyone.
>>
>>339068072
well there's an easy answer for this, the reason is it's science fiction, don't think about it too much
>>
>>339069652
not him, but you're gay and retarded
>>
>>339069652
if you understood english, it would

don't beat yourself up about it though
>>
ya know athena from greek myth? pretty much that
>>
>>339067313
>one that is capable both of impregnating
no, the father can be a non asari as well, meaning that the fertilization is also generated by the asari.
>>
>>339070321
Let's be honest, ME is sci-fi in the same way as Star Wars is sci-fi, that being it's not, it's fantasy
>>
>>339070882
Isn't all science fiction just fantasy when you get down to it?
>>
>>339070882
Nah ME is much harder scifi than Star Wars
>>
>>339071164
yeah but it sticks closer to realism
>>
>>339071445
>Much harder
A little harder, but there's not a big gap.
>>
>>339067880
>>339067313
bioware sure worked hard to put their fetish fuel into their game
>>
>>339071164
No. There are two broad categories of scifi. Hard scifi, and soft scifi. Fantasy scifi falls into soft scifi. Hard scifi is heavily realistic and grounded in real science. These are books that take a proven scientific idea and try to extrapolate what the near future will look like based on deverlopments in tech and science. Soft scifi doesn't even try to be realistic. It just has space ships that travel faster than light but doesn't try to ground it in scientific reality.

Hard scifi authors:
Arthur C. Clarke
Phillip K. Dick
Asimov

Soft scifi writers:
Frank Herbert
George Lucas
>>
>>339071164
science fiction is a genre about exploring human nature by employing futuristic technology and settings.

science fantasy is about telling a cool action story, but set in space or the future, without going any deeper into anything.
>>
>>339071897
>science fiction is shit I like
>science fantasy is shit I don't like
>>
>>339070882
>>339071164
>>339071445
>read hard sci-fi
>always depressing
>dull combat
>relativistic effects meaning that if you go on a space trip everyone you know will be dead by the time you finish your journey
>space exploration is never fun, always seems lonely, space feels empty

I understand it's all realistic and I can understand the appeal, but it's just not my cup of tea.
>>
>>339072019
i never said i didn't like science fantasy, it just serves a different purpose and is primarily for entertainment rather than making any preachy "points"
>>
>>339071862
>Frank Herbert
I've only read Dune, but isn't he toward the harder end of the spectrum? I know he has great houses, no computers and an imperial force but the book deals with intelligence enhancing drugs, ecological engineering/teraforming and psychological manipulation. If anything it perfectly straddles the half way line.

For all intensive porpoises, soft sci-fi = fantasy.
>>
File: Fleets_arrive_Destiny_Ascension.png (834 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Fleets_arrive_Destiny_Ascension.png
834 KB, 1920x1080
>All races with two sexes and a history of male-dominated society
>Standard vaguely phallic spaceships
>All female race
>Their flagship is the biggest hole in the galaxy
>>
>>339071671
It is a massive gap
>>
>>339072042
That's why the best hard sci-fi generally doesn't span the galaxy, it's set within one Solar System. The Forever War is one of the few examples of hard sci-fi and long distance travel done well.
>>
>>339072284
God no. Frank Herbert is deep into scifi fantasy territory. Far from hard scifi. Read Arthur C. Clarke if you want to see hard scifi in action.

Just remember that soft scifi doesn't mean it's bad. It's just not scientific.
>>
>>339072351
I never understood what that was supposed to be. Is it the mass accelerator? If it is, that thing should be able to destroy planets in one hit. If the projectile isn't as big as the hole, why have the hole? Other races' mass accelerators look nothing like that. Is it something else, like a launch bay? It's a huge structural weakness. That ship design is awful
>>
>>339070026
>Laughing about someone on the Chinese drawing board about being "nerd".

You just went turbo retarded, you malnourished African.
>>
>>339072284
> intelligence enhancing drugs, ecological engineering/teraforming
Not grounded at all
>and psychological manipulation
That's not even sci-fi
>>
File: buttbells.webm (2 MB, 595x517) Image search: [Google]
buttbells.webm
2 MB, 595x517
>>339072618
shut up retard. people who give a shit about sci fi are fucking gay. i dont care how realistic your engine designs are you can fuck off because everything you say is gay
>>
>>339072618
>Arthur C. Clarke
Chump change, nigga

You want hard scifi, read Alistair Reynolds

I couldn't even finish Revelation Space, it was so dry and anal about its science

Chasm City is GOAT tho
>>
>>339068007
the asari themselves see it as bad to mate with other asari, like a waste of potential.

They say this many times in the first game.
>>
>>339068626
the asari were basically sex slaves/pets to the prothean empire.
>>
>>339072574
Yeah, I was thinking about Forever War while I made my post, also Forge of God and Anvil of Stars.

Both were depressing (as intended), but I really appreciated the end to Forever War. I thought it was neat and worked well within the hard sci-fi setting. Wtf was up with the end of Forever Free though, holy shit.

And what books would you recommend that take place in the solar system? I've already read Space Odyssey, but I'm not sure if that's considered hard sci-fi
>>
>>339066621
fuck off
>>
>>339068924
The Protheans used their science to modify them, giving them superior biotic powers and teaching them agriculture, calculus and shit. They basically groomed them to lead the people in the next war with the Reapers.
>>
>>339072468
All the advanced tech in ME was basically just "it's magic lol", Mass Relays, Biotics, etc

Additionally, the sci-fi elements were there to fill story holes - mass relays so you could get from place to place, biotics so you could have better combat.

All the races existed pretty much to drive stories and characters rather than using technology or speculation to comment on the nature of man/society/the human condition.

Asaris were generic Amazonian warrior culture so they could have strong female characters, Salarians were quirky scientists, Quarians were Gypsies. The few times they used these races to explore broader themes(e.g the genophage) felt almost incidental.
>>
>>339067313
Nonsensical because you can't "translate" genetic code. Whatever they get from the father ends up being little more than a randomness generator.
>>
>>339073279
>I have never read the ME1 Codex
Well, thanks for participating
>>
>>339073412
its like its some kind of video game
>>
>>339068072
>It's like code on a computer, you can't stick C++ into a java compiler and expect it to pop out an executable.
I may suprised you but the way genetics works have similarities with computer code
in an informatics code a sequence of 8 bits give bytes which associated to a symbol

in genetics DNA is a sequence of 4 baee (designated by A,T,G, C).
A sequence of 3 base is called a codon associated to an amino acide (for example ATG is associated to the methionin amino acid). This is called the genetic code
It's by that process protein are formed in our cells
>>
>>339073279
All advanced tech in ME is explained by science until ME3 and some prothean artifiacts
>>
>Andromeda comes out
>we get some hamfisted explanation in the codex that uses mass effect to handwave the retarded ending

I sincerely hope they intend to ignore ME3
>>
>>339072789
Reynolds only does space battles. Arthur C. Clarke came up with the idea for the satellite. He wins the hard scifi dick contest.
>>
>>339067313
I don't think I get it, can someone post some images of Asari reproduction?
>>
File: Plague.png (281 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Plague.png
281 KB, 500x500
>>339073191
>spend years grooming a civilization to make them pinacle of evoluiton for the next cicle
>get upstaged by a xenophile sex-maniac
Javik must be so proud
>>
>>339074103
http://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/1773266#search=Liara_T%27Soni:^)
>>
>>339073828
They left before the ending happened so they shouldn't ever find out what it was
>>
File: e06.png (541 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
e06.png
541 KB, 600x450
>>339074106
>xenophile
>>
>>339072618
I'm a big Clark fan, and not denying that Herbert is pretty soft - just saying that I'd place him about halfway between Clark and Lucas.

>>339072789
I'll check him out. You ever read any Peter Watts? Blindsiht is probably the hardest SF I've ever read and still it's got a painfully human feel to it(if you're familiar with the terms, otherwise you'll be googling every second word). Also probably the scariest book without making any attempt to play the fact that their stranded in space with aliens on board the ship and a psychotic vampire like creature as part of their crew.

>>339073158
Forever free is like the sequels to Rendezvous with Rama - it can go fuck itself. Also, was Haldeman a homophobe? I couldn't really tell from the book.

As for hard stuff that doesn't span a huge distance - Anything by Clarke and Blindsight off the top of my head.

Also, Lord of Light. At first you think you're reading the softest of Sci-Fi but, much like my dick, it gets harder and harder with every chapter.
>>
Do they still have holes for the doingaloing
>>
>>339074217
Please post them here.
>>
>>339073419
>implying the ME1 codex wasn't made obsolete in ME2 and ME3
He captured the franchise perfectly.
Get fucked.
>>
>>339066181
It's literally telekinetic Bluetooth. They transfer genetic data between each other, and one, and in some cases, both Asari are pregnant.

What you might think is a vagina is more likely a birthing canal with a urethra in there somewhere.
>>
Anything that breaks the laws of physics as we currently understand them cannot be considered Hard Science Fiction. Which basically means anything that involves inter-stellar travel not taking years/centuries is out. There is no faster-than-light travel, and cryogenics doesn't work either.

Star Trek breaks the laws of physics as a matter of course and covers it up with meaningless words and technobabble. Also it's filled with aliens who are ridiculously close to humans.

Mass Effect does a slightly better job with aliens, and they deus ex machina'd all their laws of physics breaking with Prothean/Reaver technology. So it's a bit better than Star Trek, but still not hard Sci-Fi.

Dune is disqualified because Spice is fucking magic. There's really no other way to look at it. Of course at it's core Dune is more about human behavior, politics, and religion anyway. It was never trying to be a realistic look at the future.
>>
>>339073419
>>339073676
Fair enough, ME was pretty hard SF, but that all went out the widow after the first game.

>WE MELT DOWN THEIR GENETICS AND MAKE BIG ROBOTS LOL

Why not just take some hair if they wanted genes?
>>
>>339067880
it's literally just cuck writing
>>
>>339072842
He clearly hasn't played the game considering that a major character is looked down on because she's pure Asarii
>>
>>339074321
>Lord of Light
Oh shit nigga, I love that book. Some fantastic, mind-bending writing there. You won me over, I'll definitely give Blindsight a try, and Clarke's been on my list forever, but I never got around to him
>>
Recommendation: If you like Forever War, check out Old Man's War series.
>>
>>339075116
The writer being a horrible tumblr-tier retard that unironically has a paragraph devoted to preferred pronounce (xir is used, I believe) notwithstanding, the books are nothing alike.

It's still a fun series though, but definitely a light read.
>>
>>339075404
The series are very similar. And I don't care about the writer's politics because I can ignore those. Orson Scott Card has retarded political ideas but I don't read his blog so I don't care. I still like the Ender series.
>>
File: b3fb30_5250152.jpg (81 KB, 600x454) Image search: [Google]
b3fb30_5250152.jpg
81 KB, 600x454
>>339075675
>similar
Alright, I'll bite. How are they similar?

And it's hard ignore his politics when he can't keep from inserting them. Within the first 30 pages of the first book the super protagonist with the quirky sense of humor teams up with another character with an identical sense of humor to give an EPIC VERBAL SMACKDOWN to the author's strawman. The disgusting ignorant nationalistic xenophobic American Christian male. The whole thing sounded like pic related.

Also all his characters sound the same - like Whedon's characters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Card never inserted any anti-gay shit in Ender. (I've only read until Speaker for the Dead)
>>
>>339076442
I think you're projecting personal issues really hard. Because none of that is in the book.
>>
>>339077053
Fuck, I got baited. Might as well let the thread die like it was supposed to, then.
>>
>>339067313
Fuck that, They grow dicks and fuck.

Way hotter.
>>
I like to imagine they have some sort of anglerfish thing going on where male asari do in fact exist but are tiny parasitic organisms that attach themselves to asari ovaries and occasionally fertilize their egg cells

the whole mind melding genetic blueprint thing is just a load of bullshit because the Asari are kinda embarrassed by their biological functions
>>
>>339072042
"Hard" sci-fi is usually better as commentary than narrative for narrative's sake.
>>
File: mass-effect-cosplay.jpg (181 KB, 600x904) Image search: [Google]
mass-effect-cosplay.jpg
181 KB, 600x904
>>339066181

Here you go, OP:

http://i.4cdn.org/gif/1464359066228.webm
>>
>>339072842
It's culturally looked down upon but it's not necessarily an objectively worse thing for them to do.
>>
>>339072672
It's the engine that pulls the ship forwards. Asari designed a FWD spaceship
>>
I thought their whole sthick was them being able to use mind telepathy or some shit to make their forms look more appealing to the alien race they're talking to to get into their pants
>>
>>339077815
this is how it actually goes down
>>
>>339068313

Except they use their mates DNA as a structural template to re-organize their own dna into that of their child, without directly incorporating parts of their mates genes.
>>
>>339067313
I basically understood they used their partners DNA as a random number seed to base the offspring's genes off of.
>>
>>339066181
Step 1: I whip out my dick.
Step 2: I jerk it.
Step 3: Asari are hot.
>>
File: bleugh.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
bleugh.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
>>339077815
>that finger tip bending backwards
>>
>>339077815
>Overwatch gets released
>Mass Effect SFM porn all but disappears

Life is suffering.
>>
>>339078845

I just want to see female Krogan/Turian get fucked by shepard. Is that so much to ask?
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.