[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All you 15-20 year olds, how do you feel about gaming today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79
File: 8256_medium.jpg (94 KB, 380x280) Image search: [Google]
8256_medium.jpg
94 KB, 380x280
All you 15-20 year olds, how do you feel about gaming today? Do you think it's the best it's ever been?

I'm 27 and I can't get into games much anymore, and absolutely hate how much marketing there is. I also hate Twitch.
>>
I don't care
>>
>>338761685
FUCKING LAGGING PIECE OF SHIT!!!! AAAH FUUUCK!
wanna go for a jog?
>everyone runs faster with a knife
>>
>>338761685

Twitch is an abomination. I only found out recently you have to pay to watch the streams, which only makes the people that enjoy that type of shit even more pathetic.
>>
>>338761685
I'm 21 and have mostly lost my passion for new games, and am getting to that point with older games as well. I've replayed my favorites so many times, and don't have as much free time anymore.

Life sucks, basically. Maybe someday I'll be able to make the game that I've always dreamed of making, though.
>>
>>338762247
>I only found out recently you have to pay to watch the streams

10/10 b8, someone will fall for this.
>>
Every AAA game is objectively trash.

Every person that defends them is either intentionally trolling by pretending to be a fanboy/shill to rile people up, or a complete retard who refuses to have standards and always hides behind their own lack of critical thought as a defense.

Budgets are getting bigger, so games are getting dumber and more repetitive, and paid review scores and shills just make everything horrible.
>>
I'm 20 and I wish video games were still made by people who liked video games instead of people who want to make millions of dollars.
Indie games are the only games with that property but they all suck, so im not sure.

Maybe you need to be a little bit older to appreciate indie games, I grew up with a PS1 and N64 so I guess I don't have that "appreciation" for 2D games like you older guys do.
>>
I grew up with janky PC games on a shitty computer probably a good 5, 6 yesrs out of date - for both of them

I can appreciate the really old stuff even though I never grew up with the likes of Super Mario or Mario Kart or Paper Mario

In fact I don't think, growing up, we ever owned a Nintendo console

Nope, it was Command and Conquer: Red Alert for little 6-year-old me, even though it was years old even at the time and I was and still am shit at strategy games
>>
>>338761685
25 here, Slowly getting more bitter and cynical as newer games are released, dumbed down, companies nickle and dimeing everyone. Why can't shit be like it used to, when you would buy a full content game at a fair price?
>>
>>338761685
24 years old here.

I love the shit outta vidya, but as of late I'm having a very hard time giving a shit. The AAA stuff coming out right now is all pretty casual and very samey, whereas a lot of indie games also tend to be uninspired or pretentious shit.

On top of that there is a feeling with most developers and publishers that they merely want to fuck me in the ass. A prime example is what happened with Destiny, an already underwhelming (if playable) game.

My very, very biggest pet peev out of everything right now though is the absolute lack of Couch Co-op. All I fucking want to fucking do is hang out on my fucking couch with my fucking friends and play a god damn game together. Thats it. Now more than ever though it is a pain in my ass to find a game that allows for this. My friends and I have basically retreated to the previous generation consoles in order to enjoy some co-op games.

Finally, for overall enjoyment, I've been leaning more and more toward older games. Either gems I've missed out on, interesting games I feel like taking a chanceon, or classics which I will never tire of. A recent example of this is Painkiller: Black Edition. Tired of boring or easy games, I went back to that to play it on Trauma difficulty. Ended up beating it fairly quickly, but I was still challenged far more in sections than I have been by a lot of newer games.
>>
>be one of the world record holders for OoT speedrunning
>transition into a woman
>fuck up hand, can't play vidya anymore
>complain when I lose twitch followers
>>
File: 1289787307523.jpg (121 KB, 1256x1075) Image search: [Google]
1289787307523.jpg
121 KB, 1256x1075
>>338761685
legit concerned I might be a cynical asshole when I'm late 20's

life ain't so bad now, i don't wanna hate everything
>>
File: 1308237195160.jpg (91 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1308237195160.jpg
91 KB, 447x444
>>338763517
post transition pics
>>
>>338763265
>In fact I don't think, growing up, we ever owned a Nintendo console
It's okay, that's most of /v/ nowadays. Started on a 360, maybe a PS2 if they had an older sibling, and then bought into the PC meme around 2013.
>>
File: NarcissaWright.jpg (33 KB, 750x423) Image search: [Google]
NarcissaWright.jpg
33 KB, 750x423
>>338763616
What's a google?
>>
>>338763836
why google when you can post it for me?
i'm a patient man
>>
>>338761685
27 here as well and I feel you anon. I'm a teacher too so hearing all the little shits freak out in CS GO (which I genuinely think is great) sperg out with their nigger shit over the microphone pisses me off even more since I'm not getting paid to deal with it at that point. The twitch stuff is queerer than shit, the marketing and SJW pandering is fagshit and most modern games are fucking trash. Out of real big surprises recently I'd have to say Dariusburst blew me away by how great it was (probably best shmup to come out since Raizing shit off) and Hollow Fragment made me feel like a kid playing PSO for the first time again.
>>
28 years old and still enjoying video games. I got a nice salary and living comfortably, but I stay at work for 10+ hours sometime and just need to unwind the fuck down to which video games is still the most optimal hobby for me to kill 2-3 hours per night before going to bed. If I ever get to the point where I am unable to play FPS, RTS, or any other quick reaction video game then I think RPGs will still be my jam since it's slow-paced and comfy. If my time thins even further to where I can't even finish an RPG within six months I'll resort to collecting Toy figures and stay on /toy/ forever
>>
>>338764161
Jesus man, I'm >>338764152
and I've gone /k/ as far as other hobbies go, sounds like you've regressed
>>
31 here. Still playing a lot, mostly getting back to older titles I've somehow missed in the past. It's becoming rare for new games to pick my interenst.
>>
>>338764330

I dunno, I like toys and I like putting them together then painting it all. Gunplas, Transformers, Godzilla, etc.
>>
A lot of the current hipster trash that try to be hip by being "nerdy", like all the AAA games.
>>
28 here, everything is fine, video games are fine, wish there was less reliance on franchise bullshit.
>>
File: contemplation.jpg (58 KB, 624x414) Image search: [Google]
contemplation.jpg
58 KB, 624x414
>>338764402

pick my interest
>>
I'm 21 years old, and I play when I'm not at work I guess. Finally played through OoT since I never did as a kid, finished last night and now....im stuck feeling this childlike wonder but I'm too old to have adventures with a stick in my back yard?
>>
>>338761685
Considering the fact that Overwatch sold on advertising alone, the future looks pretty grim
>>
20 here, I only really play competitive multiplayer games anymore, i used to love single player games but they never seem to interest me anymore for some reason.

I tried to get into the witcher 3 but just couldn't, I think i just prefer more linear single player games seeing as i grew up on OOT and TP.
>>
>>338761685
20 here, halfway through last gen was when it started hitting hard
>>

I've been hating it since nickel-and-dime DLC has become standard for all games and is actually wanted by everyone.

Microsoft has ruined everything.
>>
>>338764608
Well, try to make it sound less faggy but I get what you mean. Try PSO if you haven't or Hollow Fragment. Probably 2 of the best adventure games in my opinion even though a lot of people will tell you HF is shit (it takes a long time to get the hang of and there are many legitimate complaints)
>>
20 here ive either pirated all the games i play or bought them for money i got gambling csgo skins so pretty much all fun im getting from vidya is for free and its pretty awesome, not really into almost any of the new games basically only try something that actually doesnt look like utter shit and ignore the shitty games and people, currently playing some older games with community made content that just adds a lot of playtime to games i enjoy like gothic 2 for example , kinda want to try ds3 and doom but idk if my pc can run those and they are pretty expensive so time will show
>>
mmo's are absolute trash ever since wow, new planetside is shit, deus ex hr was ok though
>>
>>338762510
Same here

vydia is dead for me and nothing will never make me come back and actually get hyped for consoles or games
>>
>>338761685
30 years old. And i can say that the glorious gaming generation died after the ps2/GC era. Now its filled with shit and casuals that love sucking the companies dick for dlc.
>>
I'm 35.

I remember trying to find small hobby computing shops run by weirdos in order to hope to find interesting, new computer games. Before the internet, games would come with sales pamplets and brochures of all the different games they were selling, but it would be a crapshoot whether you'd actually be able to find those games.

Then, if you did get it, you'd spend ages fucking around with boot disks just to get the game to play. It was a 50/50 shot whether or not you'd ever get your sound configured properly.

Now, internet reviews are plentiful, twitch and let's plays allow you to see the game in action, everything can be downloaded with the click of a button, and virtually everything plays without significant hiccup.

The future is awesome.

(I do miss boxes and manuals. I used to collect them before everything went digital. There was always something really magical about looking at the fold out flaps on the boxes, and pulling out a thick manual full of possibility.)
>>
>>338762167
classic
>>
>>338763643
Darn
>>
>everyone being in their 30s

Starting to see why I never fit in...
>>
File: 23853858.jpg (15 KB, 468x358) Image search: [Google]
23853858.jpg
15 KB, 468x358
>>338761685
>All you 15-20 year olds
>>
The only game I play or even give a shit about nowadays is melee. If the scene ever dies I would legit quit this shitty hobby. Melee is the only reason I even still love vidya. Not even a nostalgia fag but most AAA titles are boring western trash, eastern titles are buggy shit, and indie games are mostly pretentious shit.
Fuck even the 360/PS3 gen wasn't this bad.
>>
>>338761685
26 here. I miss Brood War
Hours wasted on battle.net taught me how to type fast
>>
>>338765730
dude undertale lmao
>>
>>338764402

just like me, I am 30yo and play games that I couldn't play when I was younger because I was poor as fug
>>
Soon to be 30 here. I very rarely play new games and when I do I'm very picky. These days I find myself playing older consoles or emulating arcade games to play with buddies. Actually want to construct an arcade cab with my friend.

>>338763519

I worried about the same thing at 20-21. Pretty much the most laid back I've ever been in my life right now. If anything getting older has made things somewhat better. I can read people well, detect bullshit and dodge it or keep a cool head whereas my younger self would somehow get caught up in it and stressed.

The people that turn out to be cynical pricks usually were born bitter/have a chip on their shoulder or take everything far too seriously anyway. Just remember how small we are in the grand scheme of things when some guy cuts you off in traffic or a recycled pop song annoys you.
>>
>>338761685
cant get into much either
but i have twitch running on my 2nd display all day
>>
>>338761685
>>338761685

Console gaming is a massive fucking cash cow

Filled with easily satisfied clueless fucking kids

And their increasingly careless fucking parents

Game companies have no reason to try and perform to any standard of excellence anymore.

I don't mind Twitch, I do mind all the retarded facecam fuck faces and women looking for fucking beta-orbiter support webs.

My passions atrophied greatly in the past 4-5 years or so. Mass Effect had a part in it. That shit was like the star wars of the gaming industry IMO

Only thing Japanese I've enjoyed was from Kojima's crazy ass.
>>
>>338765821
Also like to add I'm 25. Soo I'm an old ass fart in the scene.
>>
27 here. If I get jaded with modern games I just emulate something good, or something I missed out on as a kid.

I mostly ignore twitch/let's plays, although some speedruns are fun to watch. mostly into game analysis vids like game maker's toolkit and super bunnyhop.
>>
>>338761685
I am a *redacted* year old, I mean shit comes and goes, I missed the majority of my favorite genre (MMOS), but managed to gain access to the internet around 2010 or so, towards the tail end of that era, six years later I'm still trying to rediscover the magic I felt with MMO's, closest thing in recent times was probably Project1999. The AAA industry is in a pothole right now, but it's doesn't seem to be important as people think, with the fall of AAA, more and more people are beginning to support indie development, which, despite the /v/ memes, is actually quite healthy. Even then, with VR and many emerging technologies, I still have hopes that time will bring a bright future for gaming.
>>
>>338765801

like it or not, they are the new /v/

if you are 25 or older, you are too old for this site and should leave

>being 31
>being in 4chan for almost 8 years
>never being a mod or janitor fag
>never tripfagging
>a few posts per year
>never create a wiki or paste bin for any board in 4chan
>never played online with other anons
>still can't leave this place

I don't know if I love you or fucking hate you guys
>>

Don't give a shit about AAA games, last good one I played was perhaps State of Decay which came out on the PC maybe 3 years ago. Last good indie I played on the other hand was Deadbolt last month.

Small budget games right now are 10 times more interesting but I'm starting to lack the drive to seek them out because I'm starting to detest everything surrounding games. From the audience that doesn't get any smarter even though they have all the information online, to the shitty business practices from devs, to the shittier marketing practices from PR depts, to the constant politicizing of everything, to the complete irrelevance of platforms that aren't PCs in one form or another and the lack of variety in games that results.

The more mainstream gaming gets, the more obnoxious (or straight up toxic) it becomes. I'm on the verge of saying fuck it.
>>
>>338765930
20 here and I remember how awkward and anxious I used to feel in certain situations I'm completely fine with now, I'm expecting the same thing to happen to weird shit I feel now in 10 years so your post basically furthers that idea along.
>>
19 reporting

Still enjoy games, but very rarely I find a game that I really enjoy and can sit down and play for more than 2 hours at a time
>>
>>338766220

its because all other vidya discussion sites are fucking boring

/v/ is full of trolling, cynicism and false flagging but at least you guys can be honest
>>
>>338761685
24 here.
I don't care, don't play much, now I just want to make games.
>>
>>338762783
>stop liking things you like
Okay?
>>
>>338763836
10^100
>>
>>338761685
I'm 24, started with the Snes and i've been an idort since the Ps1 era, gaming pc included. I enjoy gaming just as much as when i started, sure there are a lot of shit games but good games will keep coming out, it's just like cinema, it doesnt matter how much capeshit sells, there's always gonna be someone with passino in the market. The only thing that is no more is getting fully immersed in a game without having to worry about real life, but that applies to all of my other "non-productive" hobbies and it's just part of growing up.
>>
>>338763836

Can you imagine all the dick he pulls?
>>
>>338764402
>It's becoming rare for new games to pick my interenst.
It's not you. The titles this gen have been uninspired in the main. Maybe Doom will shake things up a bit, but as you say at least we've got some potential in the backlogs.

>>338766046
> Console gaming is a massive fucking cash cow
I'm still waiting for Sony to implode next quarter desu.
>>
Lost the "fun" part of it. Mainly because I used to play with friends. Rockband, split screen, LAN parties, daily MMOs party. Now. . . All those I cared about have gone to places whose names I don't even know. I can't help be feel lonesome when staring at the screen in an empty apartment.
>>
19 year old here.

Brit Poorfag so I was raised mostly on PS1 and brief glimpses of old PC games (mostly RCT), though we got a PS2 around 2003 and a 360 in 2006.

I feel no connection to so much of what people my age group like. Literally ALL my "gaming" friends play is LoL, CS:GO and now, Overwatch. I look at MOBAs and I'm as confused as an old grandma or Polygon employee playing their first FPS, it's strange.

I've been trying to get into older-style games but since I was raised with easy games and prevalent internet walkthroughs I never got that inbuilt knack for it. I still suck at Souls games despite completing all of them, and I simply can't play the old Doom (and the new one to some extent) at anything other than Hurt me Plenty. Classic CRPGs, Adventure Games and more in-depth modern RPGs are alien to me.

>>338766364
I'll agree with you here. Though the new Doom has gotten me hooked, only 2 or 3 games a year really get me hooked enough to complete them. Last year I only managed to finish five games in total.
>>
>>338761685
19 yo here,I think the video game industry is improving and the quality is great,of course it can't go by without some shits here and there
>inb4 casualfag
>>
File: 1394895531312.png (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1394895531312.png
11 KB, 300x300
>Be in my 20's.
>Really enjoy playing older games.
>Absolutely fucking astounding at an N64 game.
>People watch me stream it constantly, and I love being able to discuss it with people who love it as much as I do.
>Go to marathon to play game for thousands of people and charity.
>Sleep with a really desperate bitch who's there with her boyfriend.
>It ruins their relationship.
>Come home.
>No one watches my stream because of the game, anymore.
>They just want to talk about how I cucked some guy who basically committed internet sudoku, afterwards.
>I just want people to talk to me about the game, again.
>>
>>338764881
I know I'm going to get shoved in deep when asking this on /v/ but...where do i start with PSO?
>>
>>338761685
I'm 20 and I'm happy with the way vidya is but I'll never understand why people like twitch and lets plays so much
>>
I'm 27 and I've been getting mad about video games and the "culture" that it's cultivated. Then I stopped paying attention to articles and opinions and played games to play. Play games for the enjoyment and stop when you're no longer having fun.
>>
26 here.

I didn't play a large variety of games growing up, so I've got an impressive backlog of time tested and favorable games I've been playing.

As far as new games goes, it's pretty rare for me to enjoy one. Not impossible by any means, but looking back to older generations of games the number of games per year worth playing was significantly higher.

I also feel like online gaming, as a whole, has gotten significantly, to the point of being unbearable, shittier.
>>
19 years here.
I haven't enjoyed 99% of AAA games in a while, but at the same time some of them have been really really fun.

I play on consoles and I can easily name multiple games I wouldn't have experienced if I was on PC. I love them all to death and replay them every year.

I don't buy games new and most imporntantly I don't listen to /v/s cynical bitter ass about anything.

Its not that hard to enjoy video games imo
>>
20 years old here

I came from the Newgrounds wave. but it simply amazes how the mindset of /v/ never actually changed. the influx of redditfags and tumblrfags are the problem, if they got deported I guarantee you see an improvement in /v/ and all of 4chan overnight.

I miss the OC, I've never been creative enough to make some and newfags, redditfags, and tumblrfags lack creativity and originality
>>
>>338766797
>Be a fucking asshole
>get bent for it
>complain
Okay?
>>
>>338764152

>SAO

I refuse to believe anything acceptable has ever come from this.
>>
>>338766797
game?
>>
The good
>Online multiplayer is pretty common these days. Nintendo is the only one who hasn't gotten on board

The bad
>No more creative or experimental games. Everything must fit into a specific genre.
>>
>>338767046
>>Be a fucking asshole
Why? She wanted to fuck, he fucked her. What's the issue?
>>
>>338766368

this

most forums are shills, underage (annoying type) or very dumbfag (can't even install drivers in their PC or configure their consoles)

4chan is a nice and shitty place, maybe I will die while browsing this board after 50 years
>>
>>338765316
I think this too.
The graphical leaps are less significant now. Big companies are even less likely to take risks than before and just releasing cookie cutter rehashes full of DLC and very few of the nice little touches and secrets old games used to have. A lot of indie developers these days are either in it for money, or making walking simulators to push some sort of agenda.
The PS2/GC/Dreamcast/Xbox era was our Silver Age. From this point onwards the whole industry is in a completely direction less muddle.
>>
23 here and I still think good games come out every once in a while its not as common as it was in the 90s and early 00s. I just wish the whole gamer culture was still like it was back then free from all this tumblr/game gate drama.
>>
>>338767183
>fuck someone with a boyfriend, a boyfriend you know exists
>expect no one to care or even notice
Well sure, not an asshole.
Stupid, definitely.
>>
>>338766220
Sometimes I can stay away from this place for like a week or even a couple months, but I always come back.
>>
>>338761685
I'm 28 and I'm more bothered that I'm not entertained by the internet anymore, it's just a routine for when I have some free time. I still enjoy vidya even if I really don't have the time for it.
>>
>>338767183
Fucking a guys girlfriend is a Class 1 violation of the Bro Code
>>
File: water.gif (488 KB, 200x149) Image search: [Google]
water.gif
488 KB, 200x149
>>338766368
>/v/ is full of trolling, cynicism and false flagging
>at least you guys can be honest
?
>>
>>338761685
At 27, DOOM has been the only game I really really wanted to play and was excited to play it the whole time. I played DS3 for the memes, but I spend far more time on 4chan than video games anymore.
>>
24, Gaming sucks nowadays.
There's hardly much heart or soul in modern games that you'd really have to go out of your way to rummage through all the garbage.
>>
File: 1363041019019.png (9 KB, 443x376) Image search: [Google]
1363041019019.png
9 KB, 443x376
dude weed lamo helps

playing overwatch toasted is an absolute blast
the ost sounds like Disney or something
>>
File: 1461473143847.gif (1 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1461473143847.gif
1 MB, 260x260
I'm 20 and all I play anymore are Japanese games. They're the only people who still focus on gameplay.

I'm so sick and tired of all this story shit the west focuses on. I just want some fun shit to play, man.
>>
>>338767192
>most forums are shills

It really is amazing how bad it is. r/games is basically one giant free advertisement. Kind of impressive that they managed to cull such a large discussion area of independent thought. Even when it's not official shills the superfans are the next best thing. "No x AAA title has no flaws, you're trolling!"
>>
Grew up on LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet & Clank. I think gaming is alright now, then again im just a child
>>
>>338767319
Why? He made no promises he didn't keep. You wanna blame somebody, blame the girl.

>>338767443
First, you're assuming he knew. Second, you're implying he's the other guy's bro. If I don't know you, you're not my bro.
>>
>>338767591
Damn near every discussion thread on /r/games is removed.

It's complete shit now.
>>
>>338761685
I don't care for the majority of twitch.

I'm basically totally out of the loop in terms of true modern releases. The last game I got was Dark Souls 3 and my hype for it was virtually zero after DS2 being shit and Bloodborne being just OK. I felt it was kinda meh.

I kinda want to take a look at Uncharted 4, because even though I think Uncharted is kinda boring, the new grappling hook and being able to jump in and out of cover actually looks like it might be way more fun than just the cover shooting of Uncharted 1-3.

Other than that I have no idea. Most recently I've been playing GBA and Ps3 games that I missed out on. I feel like my skill level is declining, so I'll probably jump back to some NES or PS1 stuff soon.
>>
>>338761685
27 here too, and felt the same way you do, but I bought a Vive and damn it is fun/immersive. Have not had this much fun in gaming in a decade.
>>
>>338766813
Google download PSO private server or some shit like that. Someone had a thread a week or so ago that there is a new server other than SCHtack or whatever the shit it was called. Anyways you need to do the PC version and find the current one (it will have a really small community but you can have fun soloing) since it has far more content than the Dreamcast or Gamecube versions. Prepare to feel the wrath of the best boss battles of any video game ever.

>>338767108
I'm not an animu faggot but I heard the description and thought a virtual MMO on muh Vita sounded fun (I never played .Hack mind you, most people say it pales in comparison but who knows). The story is the worst fucking thing I've ever seen, just skip it all, you basically are people stuck in a game playing as their avatars living day to day but the real kicker is that you and the main girl (who are both ~16) adopt a ten year old and the game has creepy scenes with her. Japs are fucking scum. Anyways the exploration and world design is some of the best I've ever seen, there are so many places to go, so many cool sights, so many hidden treasure boxes and special enemies scattered throughout. I love the game and put well over 100 hours in to it without touching NG+ (which does not level up enemies enough to make it remotely challenging but I digress) and still have a lot more to clear up. There is this weird skill development process that makes you do certain things in game to unlock them and that system works for allowing certain rare items to drop from enemies. I loved the combat system but some people don't care for it. I will say that it is tougher than balls to get in to, has hidden stats, lots of unexplained or poorly explained shit and broken Engrish even when describing what you should be doing next.
>>
>>338767831
would you say the vive tech itself is incredible but the content is just lacking?
>>

I enjoy reading alot more.
>>
I grew up as nothing but a Nintendo child and went through all the generations: NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube, and then got TF2 when I was 12.

Went back through the magic of piracy and played a ton of old games and have to say I like them better than most modern story-based games I play merely for the fact that they are challenging and don't fuck around with bullshit all God Damn day.
>>
26 years here. It takes a lot to interest me now because of 2 things:

#1: The Political propaganda train of America and white people wanting to make themselves look good.

#2: AAA gaming and the current culture surrounding it. Large masses of idiots buying the same game over and over again, not even because they like but, because everyone else is buying it. Then, not even playing it but, it doesn't matter because it made millions and will happen AGAIN. This cycle is killing all originality and is seemingly neverending. Most recent example: The Division.
>>
>>338767719
r/games has turned from a discussion forum to a news feed.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it's a pretty speedy way to get up to speed, (along with something like wololo), but they should make a r/games debate or something and ban the shilling and dumb crap you get on the cancerous r/gaming.
>>
I would say PC gaming is just as cancerous as it always was and console gaming fluctuates from year to year.
>>
>>338761685
20, passion for vidya is dwindling, sometimes i'll find a new game and it'll be fun and there'll be a spark in my heart, (AC black flag, currently Overwatch)

now i'm sort of clinging to games that make me nostalgic, Doom 1&2, Zandronum, Bioshock, old ps1 goodies, Toontown. but it's probably because my life has gone to shit and high school was a disaster that'll stick with me for the rest of my life.

/blogover
>>
>>338766324

Yeah, it'll happen as long as you keep moving and growing as a person.

I have a few younger buddies I made through playing fighting games locally, 21-24ish. Kinda interesting to see them fall into the same awkward situations or stress I and many of my buddies did around that age. Just a part of growing up.
>>
>>338768074
That being said I forgot to mention I am 25 so I guess I don't fit the demo you are asking. Although Idk why you are asking kids what they think.
>>
File: DOGJUMP.gif (1 MB, 322x239) Image search: [Google]
DOGJUMP.gif
1 MB, 322x239
18 here, it's not that great but there's still so much old stuff to play. The only modern series I'm super into is Souls, and 3 was a bit disappointing.
>>
25, haven't gotten bored with games or anything. I've just gotten better at judging whether or not I'll like a game. Sure I buy less and there are less titles per year that interest me, but I get more enjoyment out of the games I do play.
>>
24, things are alright. There's always a handful of really good games every year that keep me busy for a while, and something I've got going for multiplayer that I can just pick up whenever.

Yeah, there are some slow years, but it happens. I wish there were more quality RPGs and action games coming out of Japan, but what can you do? Bayo 2 and W101 have kind of filled a bit of that gap. Hopefully we see a good DMC5 and that'll bring that genre around a bit more.

I'd really like to see something like PSO. I know there've been more since then but none of them really went in a direction I've liked.

Another Rune Factory would be cool.

Better games from Nintendo. I used to play a ton of Nintendo stuff, and now with all the shitty localizations, and just really mediocre stuff they're putting out, I've really dropped off with them. I used to be a die hard Zelda fanboy and that series doesn't really do a lot anymore. The LttP remake thing was pretty good, but they went in the wrong direction after that with the multiplayer game, SS sucked, and I don't really have high hopes for the new one. They seem to have the wrong idea about why their games are liked. The make all the wrong choices about what to go towards and what to take out. It just ends up making everything bland and gimped. Starfox, Metroid, F-Zero, they don't know how to handle any of their franchises.

I'm mostly just subsisting on Souls games and Street Fighter, with the odd JRPG thrown in. Monster Hunter when that comes around. Things could be a lot better but I'm not throwing in the towel or anything. Just wish it was like things were back in the gamecube/ps2 generation.
>>
File: 3.5 year old wife son.jpg (65 KB, 527x655) Image search: [Google]
3.5 year old wife son.jpg
65 KB, 527x655
I dont think its the best it has been.
I think 6th gen had a nice spot where even most games with long cutscenes still had lots of gameplay in between. Not only that but there seems to have been much more 60 fps titles on consoles those days too.
>>
>>338761685

28 here i think gaming is shit today's.

I grew up with video games in the early 1990s and around the time the 360 was born
everything went to utter shit.
>>
>>338761685
19 y/o here
It's hard to enjoy games like I used to because it's pretty much the something over and over. I miss simple games that had meaning. I miss local multi-player being standard. I miss the fun of cheat codes and Easter eggs.
>>
20 here. I mostly play old RPGs that I was obviously too young/nonexistant to appreciate on release. Like Deus Ex, Outcast 1.1, Gothic 1/2/3 and Risen, Morrowind, Wasteland, Fallout 1/2/Tactics, Arx Fatalis, Freelancer, etc. It's a shame I have to treat these games as relics because of just how much the industry has changed in the last 15 years.
>>
>muh vidya sucks now
Even if you only played games made before 2000 you would still never run out of great games to play. Stop being whiny bitches.
>>
File: Capture.png (68 KB, 450x144) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
68 KB, 450x144
Am I old, /v/?
>>
I'm 22, grew up in the slavlands with a relatively shit PC up until my 15th birthday when I spent 1500$ on a new PC and an xbox 360 (which was a mistake in retrospect).

I grew up playing mainly Doom, CS, Quake, WC3 customs (dota 80% of the time), UT, Worms and CnC in computer clubs. If I have to base my opinion around those games, I would say gaming has been standardized and turned casual. The player isn't as 'free' as he used to be.

If we're talking generally, singleplayer campaigns have been butchered for the modern gamer, too boring and easy, no variation and you're effectively handheld through all of it.

Multiplayer-focused games have GENERALLY improved with the exception of shooters. They've become mostly W+M1 featuring an 'I win.' button. Overwatch is a good example of quantity of content over quality of content.
>>
>>338764597
It's pique my interest, but try out some indie games. A lot of them are either pretentious or just garbage, but you can find a lot of games that are just fun to play, like risk or rain or enter the gungeon
>>
30. I play a few games a year these days, mostly indie or from smaller devs. I still check out reviews of aaa games, but they all seem boring and too streamlined. Hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will break the trend.
>>
20 y/o here, I think multiplayer gaming has gotten a lot better than it used to. We've got wifi and VoIP, and updates to fix issues.
Single player gaming, however, has taken a huge hit. It seems like most companies focus on multiplayer too much, and creators take themselves too seriously, which is really reflected in their games. I remember back in the days of PS1 when after each level on Spyro it would show a silly cutscene of how the place has changed, and usually something funny would happen. Now with VR and such high graphic standards it seems like games are going for simulating real life instead of fantastic stuff like it used to. So yeah, on one hand gaining has gotten a lot better for the community, but now the individual is suffering.
>>
>>338768313
>I'd really like to see something like PSO. I know there've been more since then but none of them really went in a direction I've liked.
I loved PSO2 (not as much as the original though) and played until I hit my freemium block wall where I couldn't advance my character. Nova was absolute garbage though.
>>
>whole thread just proves that /v/ hates video games and likes shitposting more than actually playing something

Why do people pretend otherwise again?
>>
>>338768116
>20
>high school was a disaster that'll stick with me for the rest of my life.
You'll get over it kid or die alone
>>
>>338761685
AAA games usually aren't very good, valve is cashing in on the competitive meme, and dealing with libcucks is the absolute worse.

My only fear is that I will not ever see the tabletop RPG that created E.Y.E.
>>
>>338767694
The bro code is less for your friends and more of a code of honor for males. You don't have sex with another guys girl, but you do tell him she propositioned you. Come on, this is basic stuff.
>>
Gaming is pretty alright.

Single player games have never held my attention. I usually go through one play of a game, then just stop playing it because I already beat it. No need to play something you already beat. If there's one thing ruining games, it's goddamn movie games. Walk into space, cutscene, grab ladder, cutscene, talk to NPC, cutscene. Blah blah blah, words words words, this is just boring. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd watch a movie.

Multiplayer is where it is at, always has always will be. Any retard can beat AI with enough practice and a few simple tricks and gimmicks. Beating other players has always been what games have been about. Competitive games right now are at an all time high. Shooters are still relatively good. RTS games kinda died out but that's because only Blizzard was keeping it alive. MOBAs are actually pretty hellish to play seriously due to the nature of team sports, but despite all their flaws they're really enjoyable when I'm in the right mood. Nothing like the rush of pwning noobs, dude.
>>
>>338768609

Nah.

If anything I think the only true enjoyment of current day FPS games is mic spamming FPS doug on shitkids.
>>
>>338768964
Silly anon. Some French people created E.Y.E. How could a board game make a video game?
>>
/v/:
Dominant before 2010.
Made up of people born in the late 80's.
Grew up on the N64 and PS1 for consoles, and early FPSs for PCs.
Have personally witnessed the great commercialization of the industry into the bloated, casualized, DLC-ridden AAA cesspit it has become.
Have known an internet before social media. The older ones used to read actual gaming magazines.
Taste in games tends to favor either fast-paced arcade-y game, or slow and methodical cRPGs.

neo-/v/:
Dominant 2010-2013.
Made up of people born in the early 90's.
Grew up on the PS2 and various Halo games and clones.
Are aware that a great transformation occurred before their arrival, but do not know of any alternative to the way things are done now.
Found /v/ through /b/. Found /b/ through we r anon lagoon exshrek us.
Taste in games is shit, prefer casual corridor shooters, online CO-OP shovelware and the latest Bethesda walk-a-tron over an actually challenging experience.

neo-neo-/v/:
Dominant 2013-2016.
Made up of people born in the late 90's.
Grew up on the Xbox360 and PS3.
Were far too busy watching Gmod videos to notice any changes around them. Oldest game they ever played is Half-Life 2.
Regular reddit users. Spend most of their time on /r/4chan, searching for "dank memes". Can regularly be seen whining about "normies" and "SJWs".
Taste in games is abhorrent. Enjoy walking simulators, movie-games and indie pixelshit over actual games.

nova-/v/:
Projected to be dominant 2017-2020.
Will be made up of people born in the early 2000's.
Grew up on the PS4 and Steam.
The great casualification of gen 7 is nothing but a distant memory.
Taste in games non-existent. Prefer to watch YouTube Let's Plays instead.
>>
>>338761685
I hate everyone except for the friends I play with.
>>
>>338766220
Where the fuck do we go?
>33
>gainfully employed in relevant industry
>have near pathological hatred for other 'news' sources
>everyone's a shill, troll or bona fide retard
>devs want to make movies not games
>fuck your 'narrative' if I ain't playing it, you done fucked up
>the kids only want teh story with minimal interaction according to the big players
>just want to hang out with other faceless individuals and hate on the deserved and occasionally find that worth praising
>nowhere else, anyone applying an age limit to this experience should leave
>everyone's opinions are as valid as anyone else's, until the inner retard is set loose
>no cult of personality, trips outside of reasonable circumstances is just faggotry
>reddit is the exact opposite, any forum is just attention whoring shit with self censorship and no real discourse
>wrote too much
>no John, you are the
>>
File: latest-1.jpg (127 KB, 245x354) Image search: [Google]
latest-1.jpg
127 KB, 245x354
24. Reignited my love for this game recently. Hundreds of hours lost to the grind. Also beat dark souls 3 several times over.

The easiest way I can sum up games right now is "eh." I definitely miss being 15-20, and all the innocence that came with it.
>>
>>338767182
so like
you don't know about indie games unless they're announced to you by kotaku I'm guessing
>>
>>338761685
I'm 20 years old and the only games that have grabbed my attention in the past 2 years have been divinity original sin, witcher 3, das 3 and utilities.

Overall I'd say the saturation of quality games being released is the lowest it's ever been, I mostly just emulate now. In all honesty the only game released this decade that I think ranks up with the classics 's das 1
>>
File: 1435089836655.jpg (38 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1435089836655.jpg
38 KB, 400x388
>>338769193
The future is nigh

Iv been here too long
>>
File: 1383721743585.png (8 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1383721743585.png
8 KB, 320x320
28 and still really like vidya but i'm turning into one of those fags who literally barely has time to play anymore. I miss it so much. And I hate this fucking place so god damn badly yet I CANNOT LEAVE HELP ME
>>
>>338769694
fuck off frogposter
>>
>>338769193
Let me guess, you were born December 31st, 1989, weren't you?
>>
>>338769193
>prefer casual corridor shooters, online CO-OP shovelware and the latest Bethesda walk-a-tron over an actually challenging experience.
>Enjoy walking simulators, movie-games and indie pixelshit over actual games.
I have never seen anyone actually, legititmately make a thread on here to say they think walking simulators or casual corridor shooters are good

You say they're "dominant" in 2010-2013 or 2013-2016 but that has literally never happened.

/v/ is still mostly consisted of cynical, nitpicky, bitter old fucks like yourself who pretend that their taste and their preferences in a fucking entertainment medium are any more credible than anyone elses.
>>
>>338769193
There's probably a lot of crossover between your definitions of /v/ and neo-/v/.
>>
File: 1435090410761.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1435090410761.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
>>338769746
o shut the fuck up, old /v/ starts in like 2006-7 and the ironic era is 9-10

after that is neo-v, because they thought the irony was ernest
>>
>>338767831

>27 too and feeling like OP

I bought the DK2 back then, brought back my young passion for vidya for like 3 months and then poof its gone, barely used for a year then sold, not even slightly hyped about the vive or the rift now.

Hope you fare better but this was my experience
>>
>>338769694
>>338769995
>Iv been here too long
Since early 2015?
>>
>>338768595
Seriously. I'm 25 and have no problem with the way games are now. There are tons of indie games I'm hyped for, we're seeing more and more games be translated / ported to PC and games are cheaper now than they used to be.

You can tell when someone has shit taste when their excuse is 'muh politics and culture' for why they hate games nowadays.
>>
>>338761685
28 y/o

For me the best era for gaming was between 2000 and 2006.

During that time there were multiple releases each year that I really enjoyed. Technology was advancing rapidly and sequels were much more exciting for the improvements they would have for sound, graphics and gameplay. Getting a new console was incredible, and getting a new PC even more so.

Since then, there might be one release in a year that really excites me.

Although my priorities in life have definitely shifted over the years, I still sit down to play some vidya very nearly every day, so I don't think the change has been due to tired gamer syndrome - I think the industry has simply leveled off and there is substantially less innovation for a variety of reasons.
>>
File: 1437253818978.jpg (53 KB, 360x340) Image search: [Google]
1437253818978.jpg
53 KB, 360x340
>>338770162
Try 2009

I even lurked

I bet you didn't you fucking faggot
>>
>>338761685
I'm thinking about jumping ship and switching over to tabletop gaming for awhile. All the things I loved about gaming are slowly disappearing and it's just not fun anymore.

>>
>>338769043
Fuck off. Save that holier-than-thou bullshit for your facebook feed. Or reddit or wherever else you got it from. And learn a better code, minding your own business.
>>
>>338770461
He's right though you fucking virgin. The only reason you have that attitude is because you know that you don't have and never will have anything to lose. We aren't talking karma here, we're talking the most basic golden rule of human decency. nigger scum
>>
>>338770461

I know you feel cool but you don't, he's right and you're not. It's called golden rule, golden.
>>
>>338768632

Nice track record for 22, we are probably in countries closeby.

OW is not a good example of quantity over quality - it has very very little content, its a great example of the biggest issue of today - that marketing works very very well.
>>
>>338770693
>>338770736
It's funny because it's obvious neither of you dumb faggots have ever actually utilized the 'bro code'

Here's a hint for you: It's a good way to get your ass kicked or involved in a lot of drama. If you want to fuck over your life because you think you're gonna be some hero to a poor retard then be my guest. The best option is what he said though: Mind your own goddamn business.
>>
>>338770225
I'm 35 and I agree, Indie games are one of the major bright spots in the industry today. In many ways it reminds me of the 90s before studios were bought out or driven out of business. I'm worried by things like Microsoft spending billions to snatch up companies making popular indie titles as we could easily see another crash of the sort we saw in the early 00s as major publishers snatched studios up and forced them to crank out unimaginative sequel after sequel on closed platforms.
>>
>>338770461
>insulting a system designed to help men identify and stop whores

The only way you could possibly not support it is if you are either in the top 5% of attractive males, getting pussy all the time, and also a jerk, or simply don't grasp the concept of empathy and that the rule might help you, or the lack of it already does.
>>
File: 1455051765192.jpg (216 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455051765192.jpg
216 KB, 1920x1080
>>338770693
Look at you. Fucking LOOK at you. Did you forget where you are? You're at 4chan. Fucking 4CHAN. Not Reddit, not Tumblr, not one of a myriad of fucking "safe spaces" where you can crouch in your hugbox and be coddled in cotton. You're in the asshole of the Internet, son.

Now eat a bowl of concrete and HARDEN THE FUCK UP.
>>
>>338771236
>Just gib me my gold you wonderfully progressibe indibidual
fuck off nog, I know where I am and I like to slap down edgelord virginkins
>>
>>338771236
>4chan is so tough, the asshole of the internet

Nigger, all we are is a bunch of retards posting on a chinese imageboard from who the fuck knows where, don't treat thus place as some hardened battleground only for tough internet soldiers. Just talk about videogames and shit you mong,
>>
File: anon.png (437 KB, 595x438) Image search: [Google]
anon.png
437 KB, 595x438
>>338771236
>Look at you. Fucking LOOK at you. Did you forget where you are? You're at 4chan. Fucking 4CHAN. Not Reddit, not Tumblr, not one of a myriad of fucking "safe spaces" where you can crouch in your hugbox and be coddled in cotton. You're in the asshole of the Internet, son.
>>
>>338771057
>>338770693
The only reason you could care about such a moronic code is:
A) You're a retard that decided to date a whore
B) You're a retard that treats women like pets
C) You're not getting laid
D) You're pretending to for internet points
E) You're a nosy bitch that likes to get offended over shit that doesn't concern him

>>338770736
It's actually called bullshit.
>>
File: 1462329223297.jpg (774 KB, 1958x1534) Image search: [Google]
1462329223297.jpg
774 KB, 1958x1534
31, I was done with gaming halfway through gen 7. It was like running into a brick wall sprayed with hints telling me it was over. Too many things changed too abruptly.

Some people change tastes over the years, but other than playing a couple fps every now and then that has not been the case for me. I did not care for fallout, system shock and niggerfall two decades ago, and I sure as fuck didn't care for Fallout 3, ESV and Bioshock. Even the most hyped shit, I don't know how people got to play four fucking Uncharted games, I speedrun through the first two and I felt like I was done for a lifetime. Used to love RE, never even bothered to try RE6, I just look some footage and it tells me nothing. But honestly the same has happened with weebshit, something I would have never assumed when I was younger.

Come to think of it, I think I know what happened to me: the 7th gen was so fucking redundant it felt like an expansion pak to the 6th, and I got burned out. I played Yakuza 3 after 1 and 2, didn't feel like playing 4 and the rest, played RE4 and 5 but not 6, played DMC4 but not Donte, played GoW3 but not GoW4, Mass Effect 1 and 2 but not 3 (and not because you say it's shit, I literally couldn't care less), played Demon's and Dark but not 2 and 3 nor do I plan on doing it. Yeah, I think I got taken down by the more-of-the-same.
>>
File: bj eats.png (139 KB, 471x750) Image search: [Google]
bj eats.png
139 KB, 471x750
22, and I can't say for certain if it's the best it's ever been, but the amount of good games both new and old that are out and coming out every day means that there's always something exciting for me to discover. In general it's really hard for me to outright dislike most games, be it indie or AAA, although I certainly would like to see more middle-budget games be released.
>>
>>338761685
I think this year has been great so far
>Dragon's Dogma re-release
>Darkest Dungeon
>XCOM 2
>Superhot
>Momodara 4
>Firewatch
>Deadbolt
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Dark Souls III
The quality varies, but I enjoyed finishing all these games. Overwatch was fun too from what I played of the beta. In comparison, in 2015 I finished 3 games.
>>
>>338772256
>if you have empathy, are honest, and want your fellow man to not pursue a failing relationship, you're stupid
wew
>>
>>338767567
>D44M just came out
>but the gooks are the only ones making the games!!
Die
>>
>>338769193
Woah dude, you're really cynical and cool!
>>
I'm 22, been playing games for like 15 years and I still love games

It's great not being cynical and still enjoying a great hobby
>>
>>338772256
You want to bang someone's else gf, good for you, just don't expect people to treat well after that, it is like wanting people to trust a thief.
>>
Coincidentally, I started getting intro retro gaming exclusively when I was 15. Sixth gen was awful, and I barely get new games these days. The newest game I own is SMT Strange Journey.
>>
26, I'm having a lot of fun this year. DaS3 was great, FE14 was okay, good, and great, Doom looks like a lot of fun, and there are still games yet to come out that I'm hyped for, like ZTD and Deus Ex. I don't know about the overall state of the industry, it seems about as shitty as it has been for the past decade, but as far as game quality goes I haven't been this stoked since 2004.
>>
>>338770693
Not even the guy, and I know you're talking bullshit. People choose if they're unfaithful, and you can't blame the other person.
It is only a code for the bros, because you don't want to be the one who does the harm. But if someone wants to cheat on you, they'll do it with anyone.
>>
Im 32 and I came to the realisation that games are trash except for shmups.
>>
File: praisetheyolk.jpg (63 KB, 960x702) Image search: [Google]
praisetheyolk.jpg
63 KB, 960x702
>>338763489
Are you me, nigga?
>>
File: 76517251785.png (456 KB, 876x611) Image search: [Google]
76517251785.png
456 KB, 876x611
>>338772718
>

Nigga go make some kids, gramps.
>>
>games come with less content than before
>dlc out the ass
>quality slipping
>realeasing buggy pieces of shit are the standard

Sounds about right to me
>>
I'm going to give you my honest answer, and not a "/v/, everything is shit" answer.

No, gaming is not the best it's ever been. There is not much that's new. VR is the next bastion of truly new shit that we'll see for a while, everything else has been done. The thing that keeps me interested is that things that aren't new are being refined. I don't think it's even close to the worst it's ever been, but it's definitely not the best it's ever been. I'd say the PS2/Xbox era was the best it's ever been. Fully hitting the 3D games stride while getting actually decent visuals and the jump from the previous generation was actually staggering in how much difference it made.
>>
Everything is worse than it was before.
>>
File: 1405374407444.jpg (526 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1405374407444.jpg
526 KB, 1000x750
I'm 19, but I grew up in a weird vacuum where my gaming devices were the PS1 and PS2, the Gameboy Advance loaded with a bunch of NES games, so I managed to experience a lot of older shit. Plus, an arcade near me that had some shit. And I didn't get my own laptop until I was 12 years old, Didn't get a PS3 until 2011, so I caught up to the last gen a bit late.

My opinion on the best gen of gaming is pretty irrelevant, since everything before the last gen is a blur for me, and I don't know much about how the market was back then, but the fact that none of this gen's games are in my top echelon of games kinda says something.

As for the current state of gaming, a shitton of great games that I enjoyed came out recently, alongside a lot more shit ones, but It's always been like that. As for the state of the industry itself, I think the biggest problem, in short, is that there's too much money being pumped into it. but this problem is mostly isolated to the western AAA market though. with a couple exceptions. That's why there's a lot more executive meddling, I think.

I don't think the industry's "ruined" or anything, games are still great. but it is in a rough spot. not that it's declining, but that it's climbing way too fast. It's trying to push too many paradigm shifts in too short a time.

From what I've seen, I think gaming's the best around the sixth gen, or the mid-late seventh gen, when things are stable and calm. But I dunno, maybe when things calm down and devs are more experienced with the new shit, like VR, it could be the next "great age".

But who am I to say anything really.
>>
>>338776284
PS2/XBox era was barely different from the modern era, and worse in a lot of aspects. It had some definitive releases, but it also was the height of the shovelware disaster plus suffered from little innovation. Most innovative games started in the PSX/N64 era.

We really take for granted how easy it is to filter out shitty games nowadays. There's so many resources now that if you buy a shitty game it's pretty much your own fault.
>>
File: i_dont_ever_wanna_feel.jpg (54 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
i_dont_ever_wanna_feel.jpg
54 KB, 500x363
>>338776284
Feel that feel. With the exception of some real gems in the 360PSWii generation, gaming for the most part is getting more same-y and safe.

Even Dark Souls III was ultimately forgettable. At 25, I feel like I'm getting pandered to more than ever before in my life (see: D44M, Stair Fax Ground Zeroes, and all the previous gen sequels), but that the value I'm getting from these retreads of old favorites are shallow and incredibly safe. Rather than pander to my gaming ability and my passion, the market seems to have decided that the best thing to do is bank on my memory and hope my standards are slipping.
>>
22 here, not old at all but maybe in my last few years were gaming is acceptable. Dont really play as much as I used to, just started out FF14 and that seems fun so far, Before that I was playing a mix of morrowind and skyrim until DS3 came out, nowdays im extremely picky with the games I play, dont really care about most new releases, my only hope for the future is a proper engine for space station 13 and mount and blade: bannerlord.
>>
26 now. During the NGC and xbox (the original giant oversize black box one) time period I though games were only going to get better. Jesus Christ was I wrong. Fable had three games and the first was their peak. I guess it was all downhill from there. Why make shit more complex when journalist just going to bitch that they weren't told how to jump for the 100th time in a tutorial or that the game lack a giant fucking arrow pointing to the end of the game for them?

PS2 had the best games even though the console had limitations. So what the fuck happened? Why did the games only got worst since then? Why was the 6th gen consoles the peak when console hardware and technology should only be getting better?

Ignoring the graphics and seeing how it was left unfinished Dark Souls could had honestly been a PS2 game in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Yet that was the best of the shit people had gotten lately so it got a pass. No one else noticing that shit?
>>
>>338776701
That's what I mean. The last true innovations were with PSX/N64 and they were ultimately refined with a staggering visual upgrade with the next generation. Hence being the pinnacle. Every generation after has been very minimal in innovation and graphical upgrades. We ARE, however, in a really good time period where games are starting to get decently written plots and are starting to get really good voice acting/animation. That is one plus I will say with the past generation and current.
>>
>>338771236
God dude you are embarrasing, is this pasta or something?
>>
>>338771236
epic
>>
>>338761685

my only complaint with gaming is the community has turned into a pile of pickled diarrhea over the last 15 years. like holy shit why do people get so fucking emotional over this stuff? its impossible to have a decent discussion on an open forum about any game these days and add in the bullshit meta drama involving the companies and holy fuck we regressed quite a bit in that field
>>
>>338777326
I disagree with that, mainly because as you've said VR is just around the corner which is as revolutionary as the jump from 2d -> 3d.

There is also a bunch of innovation being done on the PC; some of it to revitalize old genres like cRPGs; some of it to create unique asymmetrical multiplayer and so forth.
>>
>>338776993

you must have your head in the sand if you think we haven't had dozens of critically acclaimed games in the last 10 years like holy shit dude
>>
>>338777982
But anon, games are art!

I miss when games were simply a form of entertainment. If they had a good story then that was a bonus. Nowadays story is the most importation thing and the gameplay is seen as a bonus. It is a sad day when "Dark Soul doesn't force the lore down your throat" is a god damn selling point. That should be the case for all games.
>>
>>338766368
>>338766368
It has nothing to do with honest speech. It all has to do with how stimulating /v/ is, because of the fast moving content. The constant turnover feeds into everyone's latent OCD impulses. This place is simply addicting.
>>
>>338778438

the games are fine, the community and marketing are the real problems. every game is over-hyped and the loudest people are usually the 'everything is shit' type
>>
I'm 29 and I try desperately to stay interested in gaming but it's constantly testing me.
>>
>>338778772

im 30 and have this problem. we really have too much choice, its no coincidence that all my fondest memories of gaming were during times when i literally only had that game to play
>>
>>338763284
27 here, i think people just grow older in different ways.

I used to go out every weekend and have fun every day with my friends, up untill i was around 23, i used to love playing video games, but not anymore, i just sit and try to play when i sit here, i'm bitter and hateful and i lost contact with all my old friends, now i just stay in my house all the time, it just all happened gradually.

My teeth are getting bad, people always guess me to be atleast 10 years older than i am and i have become fat, life is just not fun anymore, i still remember the joy i have had, now i just can't find it anymore, i hope for life to get either better or shorter, but knowing my luck, i will most likely get in an accident that renders me paralyzed for the rest of my life while living to be the oldest dick on this earth.

Guess that's how alot of people feel though.
>>
>>338761685

I still like and play video games. The hardest part is to find good games among all the AAA shit and indieshit. But there are so many games you can always find a good old game to play.

But you're fucked if you only want to play new games.
>>
>>338778939
>>338763284
Great, replied to the wrong person, obviously meant >>338763519
>>
>>338778025

these new headsets aren't really VR, they are just screens set close to your eyes with motion tracking. it's immersive but we're still missing feedback from games that true VR would imply (smell, suit that makes you feel what your character is feeling, emotions, etc)
>>
>>338778245
I'm not saying there haven't been good games, just nothing really felt like they were trying to surpassed the PS2 era of quality. Felt like the devs just gave up. Maybe you will actually read this time as I am replying directly to you.
>>
>>338778939

damn anon i was like you but i got so pissed off at how shitty my life was turning out i basically fed off the anger and changed everything around (got super strong at gym, finished school, got confidence that landed me a great girl).

just embrace the hate and become the phoenix rising
>>
I honestly like 8th gen much more than 7th gen
I like the PS4/Xbone, the games are better than PS3/360 except for the multiplayer games, it was a much simpler, better time back then.
PC gaming has gone to utter complete shit because of PCMR reddit shitters and Valvedrone fanboys. I wish something new and innovative would hit the PC game market but it's never going to happen considering how Valvedrones eat up scraps and shitty ports
Multiplayer games aren't as good as they used to be. Fucking esports twitch cancer
>>
>>338779307

if you feel that way thats fine but its just your impression of things. i hope you understand there are more than 3 devs making all these games these days and they aren't all CoD clones
>>
>>338761685
I'm 22 and pretty much hate every game nowadays. My favorite current game is the new Rainbow Six because it's the closest thing we have to SOCOM. I also enjoy sports games with friends and Dark Souls. That's about the extent of my enjoyment nowadays.
>>
Considering that I can play pretty much any game from the past 30 to 40 years on my PC with pretty much no cost, yeah I would say it is pretty awesome. As far as new games go, there are still good new games coming out like Dark Souls.
>>
>>338763519

cynical assholes are usually just projecting their own problems onto others. if you are generally happy with your life then you really could care a less of a shit about being angry over something unimportant
>>
File: get in the robot Ohta.png (398 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
get in the robot Ohta.png
398 KB, 1280x720
I am 22 and for a while I hated games until I discovered the prime secret of enjoying gaming. Stay the fuck away from the internet that involves games, stay away from all news, media and drama shit and most important if theres a game you are interested in that is going to come out stay away from fucking anything that has to do with it.

Either all the fun gets sucked out before the game comes out or I get over hyped and can't enjoy the game.
So now say if theres a game coming out Ill watch the very first trailer, thats it from then on I am staying in the dark until the game is released.
Ill play the game blind, if I like it I will keep it and if I don't I return it. Simples.

Fuck everything to do with gaming besides the actual games themselves, you will enjoy yourself a lot more.
As for /v/ I only come here to talk about games I have already played, I avoid every other thread like a plague.

I would suggest the above for pretty much everything, the older I get the more I distance myself from the real world.
>>
>>338779960

anon speaks the truth. i ignored everything about fallout 4 and just jumped into it and enjoyed the shit out of it.

i got a bad habit of when i find something annoying in a game i'll go online to read about it. next thing i know i'm reading everyone elses problems with the game and never go back to it
>>
>>338779960
>>338780484
I picked up Dark Souls 3 on release without having played the others, nor hearing anything about it prior to release and I thoroughly enjoy it. I don't even enter Dark Souls threads. Not sure if the game is actually shit or not because I hear conflicting opinions on /v/ but I think it's pretty damn alright.
>>
>>338780484
It is a real problem, rather than forming my own opinion I would read one bad review or negative comment and dismiss the game or movie as shit.

I have probably missed out on a ton of flawed but fun games because of it.
>>
>>338780641
I did the same, I knew fuck all about DS3 yet I skipped DS2 because I heard it was shit. Gonna pick up DS2 because fuck it is just 15 euros preowned in jewstop.

Going to get that robot dinosaur hunting game that is coming out for PS4, looks fun.
>>
>>338762167
>Mfw I read that in his voice from the first two words.
>>
I'm 28 and even though I have a PS4, I just use it as a Netflix/Amazon Video machine.

I just cant connect with games today.. I think I stated to feel like this in the middle of last gen.

I still play Pokemon, Zelda, MGS, GTA but barely rarely play online. And I feel like every game today is focused on online play, which does not really appeal to me.
>>
>>338780990
Same. My buddy is a big Souls fan and says 2 is definitely the worst of the series, but it's still better than most games by far.

I'm gonna get that game too. Don't remember the name of it though. It's the one from Guerrilla Games right?
>>
>>338781209
horizon zero dawn is the dinosaur game. I always liked killzone so it should be fun.
>>
>>338781410
Yeah, that's it. I'm just happy to get a single player game that might actually have replayability. Hopefully it delivers. I thought Uncharted 4 would offer replayability but it really doesn't.
>>
>>338781059

i really think if a game has no multiplayer these days it's considered a BAD thing by players/critics/developers. when the fuck did this happen?
>>
25 and I'm pretty fucking done at this point.

I can still get something out of Shmups & fighting games but that's about it. I've bought so much shit recently and barely used it because I just don't give a fuck about videogames anymore.

I think I finally realized I was over it when I would see someone say something objectively incorrect about the mechanics of a game and rather than actually get bothered by it I would just think, "who fucking cares".
>>
File: tfw.jpg (79 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
79 KB, 800x680
>>338761685
I'm 29 and games as a whole are worse than they have ever been. All triple A games nowadays lack any creativity and I don't see much of anyone trying anything new anymore. Everyone just wants to play it safe and do what they know will sell well. It leads to just about everything feeling pretty "soulless" and pandering to the lowest common denominator. It's lead to me mostly playing older games now sprinkled with an new game here and there. Also I have taken back up reading books within the last couple years as a result.
>>
>>338781936

Agreed. And I think it started last gen when consoles started being internet-connected. I mean, the original Xbox and PS2 were also internet-enabled but not permanently like the PS3/360 were. Thats when people starting to demand everything needs to have an online mode.

I remember having fun with MGO1 (that came with MGS3: Subsistence on PS2). But I didnt touch MGO2 at all and neither have I for MGO3. I just get bored of the stupid grinding in online modes.
>>
>>338774078
Woah dude nice argument you got there Mr. Ironic!
>>
>>338774129
>a woman is someone's possession you've just stolen
t. fucking idiot
>>
The industry got too big.

Games generally used to sell when they were well-made. Games were made to cater to the "core" or hobbyists because they generally held most of the purchasing power. So in order to make money on your game, it had to actually be good.

Now that games have become mainstream in a big way, this is no longer the case. The lowest-common-denominator is now the target audience, not the hobbyists. So every game needs to be accessible enough for almost anyone to pick it up and play without getting too frustrated.

Budgets have been going up, publishers seem to care more about the marketing campaign for the game than the game itself because that's what sells the game to the masses, not the quality of the game itself. Publishers know the majority of sales are concentrated in the launch window, so they push preorders and tons of paid DLC before the game even launches. Ads rarely show gameplay footage anymore, its all CG trailers to draw in idiots who don't know any better. The publishers know the games are garbage and get dropped in short order, that's what they want. They want millions of customers to run out and buy day-one, play for a month then run out and buy the next flavor of the month. We're getting less content, fewer features and more shallow gameplay by the day.
>>
>>338782939
>>338781936
Online functionality killed multiplayer. Now we get online MP and nothing else 90% of the time. Apparently when the technology gets better we lose features instead of simply getting more.
>>
File: 1462267979597.jpg (203 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462267979597.jpg
203 KB, 1200x1200
>>338783648
Dis nigga gets it. Wish I could have worded it like that.
>>
File: Console Bros.png (70 KB, 450x325) Image search: [Google]
Console Bros.png
70 KB, 450x325
My opinion as a cynical 28 year old:

6th gen > 5th gen > 7th gen > who gives a fuck > 8th gen

I did not rate anything lower than 5th gen because PS1 is when I personally started gaming.

PS2/Xbox/NGC era was the peak of videogames in my opinion. The graphics were awesome (at the time), there was creativity and the PS2 had such a great library.
PS1/N64 was also great because not only did it introduce 3D graphics, but it just felt so innovative in all fronts. Lots of great games came out during this era and everything felt fresh.
7th gen had nice graphics and online multiplayer, but this is when I felt the game industry started going in a bad direction.. the gen was dominated by brown-and-bloom shooters, DLC became a thing and politically correct bullshit was seeping in. It had lot of great gems, but also lots of bullshit.
8th gen... I dont even have anything good to say about the current gen.. It has nice graphics I guess? All games look the fucking same to me. Maybe it's just me but I just dont care for it so far.

This is my personal experience.
>>
You faggots need to branch out to different genres.
>>
>>338761685
>Yoko Taro
>Team ICO
>Supergiant

They are still alive. There is still hope, anon.
>>
File: smiles.jpg (460 KB, 879x638) Image search: [Google]
smiles.jpg
460 KB, 879x638
>>338784157
Yea I'm sure The Last Guardian will be out any day now. Thanks for reminding me of that.
>>
>>338761685
>21
>Reminisce of the days where games were games
>Spent the past 3 years of my life finding my passion in which I make money, but will enjoy doing it
>Coding
>Spend $90 for $5000 in courses on Stack Social for coding
>90% of it is for making games
>Haven't applied myself yet

The issue with games nowadays is its more about cloning success and just watching more than it is having fun. Everyone is too lazy to be creative so we have millions of Minecraft, WoWcraft, CoDcraft, DayZcraft and "lolsorandugi" games like I am Bread and shit.

We need more games that are long and reward exploration.
>>
>>338761685
23 year old idort here

I hate all the shit surrounding vidya like let's players and gaming journalism. I think it's a waste of fucking time to read or watch and I don't see the entertainment value

I think that DLC sucks because you should unlock stuff like costumes, or new weapons as a reward for playing the game

I think AAA games try too hard to appeal to the largest audience possible and feel very watered down as a result.

8th gen hasn't produced a single 10/10 for me yet. The closest are LISA and Bloodborne and everything else has a few major flaws holding it back

I feel that most games for 8th gen are hyped up to a ridiculous degree yet none of them are truly memorable or unique. Every new 8th gen game that isn't a remaster is almost always a rehash

I think I've played more PS2, SNES9x, Vita, and 3DS than Xbone, PS4, or Steam this year
>>
>>338761685
>I also hate Twitch.
I can't even get into it thanks to shit internet.

Whatever. Fuck it.

You know, a lot of people complain about normies, but I miss normies. Before they were online 24/7 themselves Normies were pretty cool.

This must be how a feminist feels when a man in a dress enters her 'safe space' and starts riding a dildo. Except he's putting it in his ear. It's not pleasurable for anyone.
>>
>>338761685
19, personally feel like everything started going downhill creatively after the PS2 and Gamecube era.
Seems like most games these days focus on hype through graphics and marketing, but it sets expectations way too high and the final product ends up feeling incomplete. That being said, I'm still having fun, but I've mostly been checking out older games and genres I never got around to.
Aside from drawing which I'm not particularly good at it's one of my few hobbies, so it's kinda hard to let it go at this point.
Gotta do something to escape from college and work or I'll go insane.
>>
18 here.

Vidya's been in a slump since the end of 2008. There were slight peaks in 2010 and 2012, but it hit rock bottom in 2013.

Now, I'd say it's slowly getting back on track when you consider the games that are being released this year.
>>
>>338783648
This. A lot of games have lost their sharp controls and just dumb the difficulty down as well. How many games are 2.5D with janky physics now? Mario went from the amazing physics and controls of SMB->World to Mario Maker with less momentum. 3D World, regardless of quality otherwise, has gimped controls. Smash has gotten insane buffering and is very slidy and imprecise. Other games try to compensate for you too much where some racing games will steer you a bit even when not controlling anything. Games seem to struggle with framerates more and more. Even the fucking N64 had plenty of titles that had consistent framerates, even if it was 24.

Most games just really lack that crispness that older games have and I find myself being able to appreciate newer titles here or there but really loving the FUCK out of older games still, even ones I never played.
>>
>>338761685
it feels more of a business now rather than entertainment.
>>
File: SWracer.jpg (27 KB, 250x294) Image search: [Google]
SWracer.jpg
27 KB, 250x294
>>338761685

played a lot of starwars episode 1 racer lately and did pretty much everything there was to do. I had a fucking blast.

I don't play as often though, but quick action and mostly racing games can seduce me into playing now and then. Something challenging yet accessible.

I'm exploring mostly older titles now since modern games aren't that enticing to me except for maybe from softs Souls series.
But i'm starting to see realize there's a point where my frustration with shitty controls meets a limit. Playing System shock 1 EE and even with mouselook shit is so slow and clunky. I can apreciate the level-design the top notch technical marvel supposedly was at the time and hip tunes, but i'm starting to become more aware of where my preferences lie.

Arcade twitchy racan, adventure games, survival horror and the occasional point and click. I also love arena shooters but after not playing for a while i suck too much to compete.

>>338769193
great projecting anon, you tried.
here's a (you)

I'm also becoming more and more tired of /v/'s shit. Pepe, wojack, cuck, bane and pretty much most shit that escalated as hugely here in the past few years needs to die ASAP.
Pepe and wojack especially are products of retards projecting their own problems on anonymous posters in an "ironic" way that just leads to shitposting and blogposting.

People need to chill out and play vidya they enjoy. If you don't enjoy it don't play it and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>338767850
it's (slowly) downloading now, just curious on how accessible it really is. I know it's "the greatest of all time ever for eternity" but I just want to know about how long I have to play it before I can say that or not.
>>
File: tumblr_nwuxx9YoVw1rx3k87o1_540.jpg (71 KB, 540x539) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nwuxx9YoVw1rx3k87o1_540.jpg
71 KB, 540x539
>>338761685
I'm 19 years old. I try not to be bitter about games because there are some wonderful and incredible releases every year, whether it is AAA or indie, though I feel some deep hatred for a lot of the industry's changes that have unfortunately persisted, such as casualization and shit like that.

I mostly stick to old (ish) games though; mostly FPS. I recently beat Deus Ex, Unreal Gold, Beyond Good and Evil.

Like I said though, gaming is nowhere close to being as dead or corrupt as /v/ likes to say it is. This year has brought as DOOM, which turned out to be pretty good, and we'll later get DXMD and Dishonored 2, which will hopefully play out very well. Last year, we got Undertale, Hotline Miami 2, Witcher 3, and MGSV, among others, and that kicks ass too.

Gaming is as alive as you want it to be.
>>
File: 1452124504981.jpg (14 KB, 495x399) Image search: [Google]
1452124504981.jpg
14 KB, 495x399
>>338762904
>Indie games are the only games with that property but they all suck

But that's not true man. Some of the greatest games that have ever come out are indie.

Cave Story, Hotline Miami, Undertale, Papers Please, Stanley Parable, Dwarf Fortress, and Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden are some of the most enjoyable games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. And 3 of the ones I listed are free, even!
>>
>>338785264
thank you for staying positive.
Do you play quake live?
>>
21, got late into gayman but I'm having fun.

I love shooters but I'd kill for some variety, right now everything is either colorful MOBA-FPS hybrids, semi-realistic shooters or CoD clones.

AAA games are great on gameplay and horribly poor on story or very rarely the opposite. Plots are what you'd expect from a low-budget action films, characters are bland and unrelatable.

Indie would be great if everyone just got original instead of doing "like X but Y".

Marketing is fucking crazy, you don't advertise vidya on TV and much less on fast food places. It's invasive as hell.

Sadly WRPG has taken an edgier and grittier approach while the Japs make nonsensical shit aimed at the most cancerous part of the anime audience.
Hell, ME1 and ME2 are my favorite games. ME3 could've been an even greater game if it weren't for the everyone dies, press F to pay respects bullshit. Everyone goes overboard nowadays.

Story's been forgotten and gameplay lacks innovation. The only genre fit for innovation wants to become more like an abstract art display rather than a game with artistic merit.
>>
>>338785551
I have played Quake Live! I thought it was neat, but I had some trouble getting my friends to play it, and it really sucked when Bethesda (or whoever) updated it to be, well, more casualized. It's still fun, but a lot of the skill is missing because of things like loadouts.

As far as multiplayer FPS goes, I've been sticking with TF2, but I want to try Overwatch and Unreal Tournament. Have you played either?
>>
I'm 21. I kinda just play warthunder now because fantasies about being a pilot.

I'm just waiting for something new. I thought it was gonna be overwatch, but that turned out to be corporate kid shit.

Undertale was the last game I enjoyed. That thing is really something special.
>>
It's funny OP wanted to make this all about age. I'm thirty and I think games are doing pretty great right now.
>>
>>338785721
they removed loadouts you now,
they sadly also removed tiers.
>>
File: Gee, thanks mister.gif (490 KB, 241x233) Image search: [Google]
Gee, thanks mister.gif
490 KB, 241x233
18, haven't enjoyed gaming since I was 15, only game I've played recently is DS3, and it was a disappointment. Not even looking forward to any upcoming games. It's gotten to the point where I go on a walk or try art for entertainment. This is not the way man was meant to live.
>>
im glad when I was that age I wasnt autistic.

this generation is just terrible for parents, autistic shits everywhere.

enjoy your adderall, kiddos
>>
>>338785821
That's both uplifting but also displeasing. I wonder why they can't strike a balance.
>>
Gaming died by 2011
t.1995
>>
File: 1440775770008.png (445 KB, 551x548) Image search: [Google]
1440775770008.png
445 KB, 551x548
>there's a generation of gamers out there for whom today's gaming is either their introduction to vidya OR their own personal vidya golden age.
>>
>>338786001

most of /v/ is autistic nintendo fans that love amiibos.

think about that for a minute

we went from great games, to autists buying happy meal toys.
>>
>>338786001
How dare they like what you don't, right?

Man, nerd "culture" is the fucking worst.
>>
Videogames are alright. /v/ is getting pretty boring though.
>>
>>338786234
Are people not allowed to hate stuff anymore without getting this gay sarcastic reply?
>>
>>338786320
You can do whatever you want. Doesn't mean you aren't a faggot.
>>
>>338786419
How dare I like what you don't, right?
>>
File: 1425956541101.jpg (44 KB, 406x364) Image search: [Google]
1425956541101.jpg
44 KB, 406x364
>>338761685
I still enjoy the song that guy made even though it's really dated. Some classic vidya memery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKrvCVAD2xA&index=9&list=FLPKAdJ9__ASCuz8wdFfAX7Q
>>
Turning 26 soon and I'm quite an optimist. I don't really play the latest games other than a few Wii U games and the occasional indie title. I generally just catch up on old games. But as a result I think I'm impressed by new games that I look for specifically. I don't go for open world AAA games that promise all these features or w/e, I just look for specific things I like.

I'm over my modern gaming is shit phase and just focus on what I like. I generally think gaming is experiencing a lot of innovative boom in mechanics more so than gimmicks like motion and 3D. It seems like nowadays good developers are working on evolving gameplay in increments.

We don't have a new SM64 to be wowed by anymore but I'm always impressed moreso as a vivid adult when a game does something small that affects the whole industry.
>>
File: 1436229864033.jpg (120 KB, 939x720) Image search: [Google]
1436229864033.jpg
120 KB, 939x720
>>338785857
You wouldn't need to tell me you're 18 by the way you write.
>>
>>338779131
They absolutely are VR, as someone that's tried all of the options quite extensively.

'True' VR isn't really necessary to get 90% of the immersion factor.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 79

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.