[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>graphics are becoming more important in vidya than gameplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11
File: image.gif (3 MB, 222x379) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 222x379
What went wrong?
>>
>>338381819
Bullshit promotional screenshots and preview trailers.

They use these to get hype and preorders. Once they have your money they can fart out whatever downgraded crap game and Gamers don't even notice.
>>
Jews
>>
>>338381819
gamers dont even care, so why bother? the happy little fans on reddit will always be louder than the critical voice...
>>
>>338381819
Nothing went wrong?
>>
PC gaming
>>
Developers will hit the ceiling somewhere around 2020 because we're pretty close to photorealism and then they'll start focusing on the gameplay.
>>
>>338381819
Well first of all you're an idiot if you think this is anything new. Since video games became widespread, the goal has always been to make them look better. I mean it's a visual medium, for Christ's sake.

That being said, in the last 1-2 years or so, game companies have started focusing less on graphics and more on gameplay and/or gimmicks. It's an interesting paradigm shift.
>>
>>338381819
Console manufacturers moved to rely on 3rd parties for game development, meaning the only marketing tool they were left with was "LOOK AT THESE GRAPHICS WOW SUPER FAST OHMYGOD BLAST PROCESSING AND SHIT".

So once again consoles ruin everything.
>>
People think that becoming like everything else is what constitutes growing up, and they're desperate for vidya to be a 'grown-up' activity.
>>
>>338381819
Because we realised these hacks are incapable of improving the gameplay. At the very least they can at least improve the visuals of a game.
>>
>>338382308
have an example of this? All i can think of right now is the new Doom game.
>>
File: 10418178.jpg (28 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
10418178.jpg
28 KB, 170x170
Do what AVGN does, simply don't buy those steaming piles of shit.
>>
>>338381819
i hope we have another atari to fuck up the industry once again

PLEASE
>>
>>338382128
>implying

Consolefags, specially sonyggers, are the true graphics whores.

Just look at uncharted 4
>>
>>338381819
>becoming

Its been like that since the early 90s with the rivalry of Nintendo and Sega. Remember blast processing? No actually you probably don't.
>>
framerate affects gameplay
>>
This is all PS4 owners' faults.
Sony is stimulating this shit, and idiot Dronys eat up their cow turds like hungry little dung beetles.
>>
>>338381819
This has been happening since the mid-2000s, are you just now noticing?
Since the 360 and PS3 came out, maybe even before with the Xbox.
Ever since consoles starting being essentially sub-par PCs rather than unique hardware there has been a push for advancement in graphical fidelity that has harmed the importance of gameplay on all platforms.
>>
>>338381819
Because people bitch if the graphics aren't up to par? Like, remember that Alan Wake "scandal" where the bars on a jeep in a screenshot were revealed to be slightly jaggy? People are always bitching about 1080p or 4k or whatever the fuck and part of the PC gamer's war cry is "we can make the game look better"

Not to mention that with yearly releases like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty, all gamers want is the same game but with better graphics.

Don't blame the developers or companies for this. They're only doing what sells, and what sells is satisfying the demands for graphics over gameplay.
>>
>>338382541
But PC has better graphics than ps4.
>>
>>338382541
Sonnygers going on about Uncharted 4 graphics was really just a backlash to all the PC "master race" shit posting. Whenever a triple A PC game is announced, the majority of the shitposting is dedicated to graphics and platform wars. This has been happening since the whole PC superiority complex started. PC gaming's claim to fame is better graphics and they are sure to let you know about it. Meanwhile PC player get all edgy with PS4 and say that graphics aren't even important.
Proud owner of zero current gen consoles, and a shitty PC here, as I legitimately give no shits about graphics, as opposed to the rest of this board that claim graphics aren't important, then shitpost about platform graphics and downgrades and trailer graphics.
>>
File: bat.webm (248 KB, 1067x600) Image search: [Google]
bat.webm
248 KB, 1067x600
>>338382728
You're such a fucking faggot, holy shit.
>>
>>338383510
>then shitpost about platform graphics and downgrades and trailer graphics.
To be fair I think a lot of the shitposting about downgrades is more of an issue with the developers/publishers not delivering on the final product.
>>
>>338381819
Are we in the 90s? I'm sure we are not in the 90s.
>>
>>338381819
Neither are progressing at the rate they should be. Next gen gaming is a fucking joke. I remember being a kid imagining the games of the future. They didn't just look good but were complex, large and full of alive worlds. Instead all I get is lies, broken promises and disappointment.
>>
>>338382541
I can't help but think those were actually PC fans pretending to be PS4 fanboys. That's how it looked to me.

or were those

>Whoa...

sentences real?
>>
Yeah, and the thing is, I don't find myself more immersed in games with better graphics. Just the opposite, really. I think when I was a little younger and game looked considerably worse, I was forced to use my imagination a little bit more and it got me more into games.

Now my imagination is dead, so fuck it.
>>
>>338383840
Downgrades are a fact of development and have more to do with Publishers demanding early builds for trailers than actual malice. Lots of things change late in development, especially graphics. Only instance when this was really shitty was Dark Souls 2, because they kept it a lie up to release.
>>
>>338384103
I think part of the reason is that with better graphics, games are more focused on trying to be realistic. So the textures and shit are much better, but the things they depict are a lot more boring.
>>
>>338382178
There currently is no market force within the Videogames Industy to incentivize spending development resources on gameplay.
>>
>>338381819
They literally always have been.

Remember 8 bit vs 16 bit? Le blast processing meme? Cartridges vs Discs?

No of course you don't, because you're underaged.
>>
>>338384528
Yeah, but the difference is that graphical differences were a lot more clearer. Now the gaps between each upgrade is lesser and lesser. It's basically to the point where most people can't even tell the difference and only autists who stare at screenshots all day can tell.
>>
>>338384528
You could argue that was somewhat gameplay-related, being better able to recognize what was going on on-screen. You don't get that margin of improvement these days.
>>
>>338381819
this is not true OP, marketing is becoming more important than graphics, or gameplay.

look at Overwatch.
>>
File: TESV_2016_03_21_17_36_00_23.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
TESV_2016_03_21_17_36_00_23.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>338381819
Short version: You're old.

Long version: When you started playing video games, the platform was new and the technology was limited. Game developers had to make their product enticing in other ways, such as actually being good.

Now that we're almost at photorealistic levels of graphics, and the kids nowadays just want things that look good, the most important thing is visuals.

Why does Minecraft have texture packs?
Visuals.

Why are games riddled with cosmetic microtransactions?
Visuals.
>>
File: sony-logo[1].jpg (141 KB, 6000x1200) Image search: [Google]
sony-logo[1].jpg
141 KB, 6000x1200
>>
>>338381819
>becoming

Its been this way for a long time. At least 9 years. Graphics and story are focus and not the GAME part of a video GAME
>>
>>338385280
Remember when the N64 came out and everyone basically shat on 2D games on the console for having "inferior" graphics?
>>
>>338381819
People who want to be movie directors but are not important enough so they went to gaming instead went wrong.
>>
File: 1463797870640.png (6 KB, 415x416) Image search: [Google]
1463797870640.png
6 KB, 415x416
>>338385421

No. because back then I actually played video games instead of shitpost on forums. But i wouldnt be surprised if they did, there are still screencaps of forums from the 90s of console wars and muh graphics.
>>
>>338381819
pc "gamers" and dudebros
now even nintendo is going the same path with NX, this is the future you chose
>>
>>338385793
but nintendo didn't choose graphics OR gameplay
>>
File: 1383954710695.jpg (137 KB, 596x799) Image search: [Google]
1383954710695.jpg
137 KB, 596x799
>>338381819
Wider audience, more games sold, more money, more profit.
>>
>>338382541
yup they chose pretty graphics over 60fps even though MP is 60. Just shows that they like graphics over gameplay. I'll wait for the remaster
>>
>>338381819
This has always been the case for the average game. Better graphics sells a game better than a game with worst graphics even with deeper gameplay and 60FPS.
>>
>>338381819
Fucking normies, amirite?
Ree
>>
>>338383510
>we were merely pretending!
>>
Publishers getting greedy
>>
>>338381819
Its not just Graphics. Story too. The industry is far too concerned with bringing in the TV/Movie audience, that they leave out challenging skill-based gameplay for easy casual gameplay so that anyone can experience the story.
>>
>>338381819
normalfags
>>
>are becoming

They became more important in 1997.

>Every major release is about graphics
>Every major release is about open world

FFVII and OoT ruined everything.
>>
File: 1441500363737.gif (495 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
1441500363737.gif
495 KB, 500x267
>>338388932
>implying that wasnt Super Mario 64
>>
>>338388932
If we're going to go this far, then I'd say it started since the dawn of the NES

>whoa, nice graphics!
>>
File: shek.png (60 KB, 192x203) Image search: [Google]
shek.png
60 KB, 192x203
>>338381819
A lot easier to market graphics then gameplay. Combine that with the fact that the majority of the gaming consumer base cares more about graphics then deep gameplay it's no wonder that visuals are the prime focus.
>>
blame the PC fags
>>
grafics have always been important, retard
>>
Graphics have always been marketed strongly since the dawn of video games. Why the fuck do you think there were console wars between the SNES and Genesis? Graphics are a lot easier to show off to the masses and demonstrate progress than good gameplay.
>>
GRAPHICS WERE ALWAYS IMPORTANT

THEY WERE USED TO MARKET GAMES BACK THEN

JESUS ARE YOU MORONS UNDERAGE OF SOMETHING
>>
>>338384689
This is basically it. Now we are getting games with jacked up poly counts because obviously, we need a model with 50,000 instead of 45,000 even though you stop noticing the difference past 10,000.
>>
>>338389442
>GRAPHICS WERE ALWAYS IMPORTANT
For marketing
>>
>>338389039
FFVII is the first game I remember being garnering praise purely for it's aesthetic, and not in reference to any form of art design.

Sure, there was the jump from shit like Adventure and Pong, but it set a new bar. It's the Star Wars if /v/idya.

I don't blame it, I blame the industry.
>>
>>338389849
Important to everyone you twat
>>
File: 640px-DKCTF_Charconcept_4.jpg (51 KB, 640x322) Image search: [Google]
640px-DKCTF_Charconcept_4.jpg
51 KB, 640x322
>>338389969
some prefer gameplay over graphics
>>
>>338388932
Back then advancements in graphics were actually noticeable because the leaps were huge. Now you need side-by-side comparisons to actually see what dumb effect they added in. We've been in the land of marginal gains for years.
>>
>>338382178
>focus on gameplay.
>Not further cannobalize gameplay, music, art direction etc. to create longer photorealistic room simulators.
>>
>>338382128
PC gaming has always had options menus so that if graphics were starting to impede on gameplay by whoring up the performance you could hypothetically turn them down to a level where you could get a framerate that's smooth enough to play properly.
Consoles rarely if ever have that degree of customization.
>>
>>338390527
Oh my god. Please tell me I'm wrong and that were not going to devolve from walking simulators to room simulators.

You can call me a faggot too, just tell me I'm wrong.
>>
Aesthetically pleasing art direction >>>> photorealism

If I wanted photorealism I would go the fuck outside.
>>
Normalfags and graphixfags.

And each time you see a consolewar or mustard race thread bragging or shitting about graphix, games die a little bit more.
>>
>>338382487
But then everyone would call me a misogynist pig.
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 555x538) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 555x538
>>338388932
>>338389871

You know what really bites? FF and LoZ haven't done shit since their respective revolutionary entries. They've stagnated for TWENTY years and people still buy them like they're the best thing ever created. Neither series has attempted to revolutionize gameplay, not that FF ever did, but stille. Neither series has attempted to revolutionize writing. They don't have to be revolutionary, but the problem is it's all they have, or had. FF has always been shit, LoZ has always been shit, all either series was known for were their respective revolutions that for some reason gained them critical acclaim even though they shit the bed in every other critical aspect. And who can even fault them? Two decades and people are still paying ridiculous amounts of money for products that should be at the bottom of the garbage can.

Same with the aforementioned Star Wars. Force Awakens is a piece of shit.

You know back when Apple stopped making new, practical, functional and revolutionary products, people stopped buying them and the company tanked. Nintendo, Square Enix, etc... They're not invincible. (You) have the power to end them.
>>
>>338389039
Old games looked good because they used what little resources they had and went with stylistic focus.

New games look good due an abundance of resources and technical gain. They look good from a technical standpoint. But they remain somewhat soulless because of this.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.