[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>What if in the middle of nowhere there was a mob of unicorn/narwhal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Spindlebeast.jpg (31 KB, 489x289) Image search: [Google]
Spindlebeast.jpg
31 KB, 489x289
>What if in the middle of nowhere there was a mob of unicorn/narwhal hybrids where even a single one could grab you into an instakill with no wind-up
>What if the only way to get past them as a melee build was to jump through a section of disappearing platforms where making even a single mistake lands you in the middle of them

Salt & Sanctuary thread
>>
>unicorn/narwhal
So it's reddit: The Game?
>>
>>338369750
you can skip all that if you find the right path.

Come in from Siam lake to explore the brief bit to the left of them

Come in from the far lake to explore everything to the right.
>>
>>338369909
the far BEACH, sorry.
>>
>>338369793
I rarely shitpost about Reddit, but this post is pretty much truth
>>
>>338369909
Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm currently at the Ruined Temple boss. Only gave it one attempt so far. Seems kinda rough.

>>338369793
There's also this double entendre going on about the player character being made of salt (Saltborn). So if you as a player are upset at the game you can both be salty together.
>>
>>338369793
How are unicorns and narwhals related to fucking reddit?
>>
What even IS Salt and Sanctuary? All I know is that it's apparently described as 2D Dark Souls, which means fucking nothing since anytime a game is hard it's the X of Dark Souls.
>>
>>338370447
memes and their callsign
>>
>>338370469
No anon, it really was the devs' main influence. You've got the stamina based combat rolls, bonfires, souls, interconnected world, npc questlines, covenants, armor sets and weapons with stat scaling, all of it, but in 2D. There are differences though. There a light combo system, the exp is spent on a path of exile style skill tree, you claim bonfires to the covenant you're in and can call vendors to them to do various things and give passive buffs. There are also some movement upgrades from metroidvanias like wall jumping and mid air dashing. Souls in 2D is as accurate as it gets.
>>
>>338370821
Oh, so it's legit huh? Now for the most important questions.

Is it fun? Is it good?
>>
>>338370447
They've been connected since midnight.
>>
Use a weapon with longer reach like the claymore or spears or whips. They don't have much HP (around 100 if not less) and they stop running a bit after initiating the grab attack.
>>
>>338371247
Yeah, it's a fun little game.
>>
>>338371247
I think it's mostly okay. There's a lot of content for an indie game that's not a rogulite. I'm playing with a 2-hand strength build so I can't say how the other builds play but bosses are kinda annoying. It's harder to tank hits in this game since every attack you take lowers your max hp until the next time you visit a bonfire. So most boss fights for me have boiled down to a dps race. Enemies also tend to do the DS2 thing of tracking you so even if you roll behind an them they can instantly turn around continue fucking you up. The level design is pretty good, the areas are varied and the game feels like it allows for good build variety. The art style is definitely shit though. Also grab a pen and paper if you're playing so you can draw a map of how the areas connect. You'll have more fun that way as the game doesn't have a minimap. It's a mixed bag.
>>
>>338371247
Yes it's good fun, probably the best Metroidvania since the DS CV games, so if you are into those you should like it.
>>
>>338371883
>Enemies also tend to do the DS2 thing of tracking you so even if you roll behind an them they can instantly turn around continue fucking you up.
I've played nearly 50 hours on PS4 and literally never seen this happen, and the first time I saw anyone mention it was after the PC version was released. The closest I can think is on some boss attacks they track you during the wind up and stop tracking a second or two before the actual attack starts, giving you time to move out of the way.
>>
>>338372391
That's what he meant. It can be pretty jarring when bosses start their combo in one direction and if you roll past them they just turn around and continue the combo. It can be avoided but it feels very counter-intuitive
>>
>>338372568
Jarring? The whole fucking point is to learn their attack patterns and be precise in how you manage attack and defense within your stamina. That's literally the challenge. Is he suggesting enemies shouldn't target the player because that's too hard?.Holy shit what the fuck am I reading.
>>
>>338372936
The problem with that is that there's no smooth animation to transition between the directions so the bosses just turn instantly. This is the most obvious with the Queen of Smiles, who follows her ground pierce attack with another attack where she pulls her blade out of the ground and swings it upwards. Normally you would assume that since she stuck the blade in the ground, there's no way she would turn around and do that follow up attack instantly, but it happens. Little things like that make it hard to adjust to.
>>
>>338371247
It's genuinely good but (at least to me) the difficulty felt quite uneven.
Some of the bosses posed a genuine challenge while others, including the final few bosses, went down with no issues and all.
Hell, the final one didn't even come close to killing me and I mostly just stood there, pushing his shit in.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.