[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really want to get into Quake /v/, what's the best version
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: quake.jpg (42 KB, 638x321) Image search: [Google]
quake.jpg
42 KB, 638x321
I really want to get into Quake /v/, what's the best version of the first game?

I have the Steam version but from what I've gathered it's inferior to some extent? Kind of like how zdoom or gzdoom are considered the most ideal to play Doom, so what's similar for Quake?
>>
>>338323620
I tried Quakespasm and liked it. The only problem is that I couldn't make the music work.
>>
Use DarkPlaces.
>>
Just get Darkplaces and install Navy Seals
>>
>>338324051
Can't you emulate the iso? Had to do that with Rainbow Six although for some weird reason it only worked with the ps1 disk, not the pc ver
>>
>>338323620
GLQuake? Is that still a thing?
>>
>>338323620
just install quakespasm or darkplaces for the steam version and it'll be fine
>>
What exactly is so bad about the Steam version?
>>
>>338324923
Sure can. But then I have to dl it, then mount it, then play it, or rip it, then transfer files. I'm too lazy for that.
>>
Get GoG version, download the music, use Quakespasm, GLQuake, or Software depending on how you want it to look. Each has a really distinct vibe to it and they're all really cool imo
>>
>>338325254

No music, I mean that's it. But Dark Places fixes that.
>>
>>338323620
I recently beat Quake again. I actually played it when it came out but I must admit that I never was that big of a fan.
From a technological point of view, Quake was remarkable, not just in terms of graphics but also in terms of AI. It really surprised how smart the enemies were - easily surpassing those in modern games and being an actual threat to the player.
However, in terms of art design I never was a big fan - it looked too brown for my taste. And the levels became a bit repetitive, with the enemies being too repetitive, and too little new things to see, e.g. when it came to boss fights for example, which the game was severely lacking.

I've always liked the Lucas Arts FPS like Outlaws, Dark Forces or especially Jedi Knight a lot more than the ID shooters. Duke Nukem 3D was also more fun in my opinion.
>>
>>338325549
GOG version comes with music.
>>
>>338323620
>zdoom or gzdoom
if you want game changing shit and mods, they are not good for playing actual proper doom.
also you want quakespasm, it's the fitzquake successor. darkplaces is dumb garbage
>>
>>338323620
Whatever you do anon, make sure to play it on nightmare without savescumming. It's not as tough as Doom on that mode, since monster count and speed are much lower, plus they don't respawn. Still an awesome game.

Go to Quaddicted and get the launcher there. Download and play everything that is rated 4.5 or higher. All those levels are better than the original levels, which are still awesome.
>>
>>338323620
>Get DarkPlaces.
>Use Quakeworld servers.
>Fall into depression.
>32/41,000 Players online.

Seriously though, playsome DM. Shit is still fucking rad after 20 years.
>>
I want a new goddamn Quake game. Fuck off with the Strogg and offline bots. We need some Q1 design and atmosphere.
>>
>>338323620
just take a hit a this amazing vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZmRVdnBl8
>>
>>338326915
is there any relation between quake 1 and 2?
>>
>>338326001
>in terms of AI. It really surprised how smart the enemies were - easily surpassing those in modern games
the fuck are you talking out your ass about

Quake AI is barely above Doom level. It works fine in the game but I dunno wtf you're thinking.
>>
>>338326678
why in god's name would you play qw with darkplaces
>>
>>338327862
>Quake AI is barely above Doom level. It works fine in the game but I dunno wtf you're thinking.
Enemies rarely get stuck, they reposition themselves in case they can't hit you rather than attempting to shoot through walls, they use their ballistic weapons quite accurately, etc. - compare the moveset of a fiend, who can properly navigate even complicated level topology with his physical jump attack with pretty much any of the doom opponents - none of them is comparably elaborate.

Keep in mind: I'm not saying that this is something all too complicated to code. It is something that 'should' be custom. But nowadays it sadly is not. I don't know if you've played a modern FPS recently, but in most games the enemies do hardly more than move to a scripted position and attempt to shoot at you, possibly throwing a grenade in case you're in cover - but that's it.
>>
>>338327626
the name
>>
>>338326526

Only way to play, go through it once a year.

Doom and quake (at least as far as single player goes) has never been matched by any moder first person shooter I have played, ever
>>
>>338325593
Did the original have music?
>>
>>338327626

There isn't really, but there should be. I can't believe idSoftware has never cared to go back and explain the difference. I mean, in terms of development, they were making a futuristic game and they just decided to slap "Quake 2" on it, even though it was nothing like the first Quake.

From a storyline standpoint though, I always thought it would be smart for them to go back and explain that the Lovecraftian first game and the Strogg are connected, and that Quake itself is an ancient Strogg-like cyborg with Egyptian and Gothic and design elements, which is why the first game has similar themes. Basically, the Lovecraftian beings of the first game, and the Strogg of the following games are a slave cult that worship Quake.
>>
>>338329950

Yes. You had to have the CD in the drive for it to play.
>>
File: End-of-Game.jpg (309 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
End-of-Game.jpg
309 KB, 800x600
>>338330979
I mean Shub-Niggurath (Quake) exists in a strange junction in time and space. If they wanted to, they could easily bridge them together because Quake 1 was all about multi-dimensional slip-gate travel.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.