[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Doom is out >suddenly reloading in FPS games is a burden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: latest[1].jpg (321 KB, 990x735) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
321 KB, 990x735
>Doom is out
>suddenly reloading in FPS games is a burden and cancer

What happened? Reload animations are fucking great.
>>
>>338309018
are the guns designed in a way that they do not need to be re loaded?

battlefront doesn't have reloading weapons either.
>>
Nice fuckin Jpeg faggot.
>>
>>338309312
I (still) don't know how to make WebMs.
>>
What the fuck are you talking about?
Reloading is fine in any other FPS
DOOM never had reloading, so they keep it true to the original and it works well. Unless you are talking about the super shotgun, that's an exception because reloading it is just cool as hell
>>
>>338309470
Doom 3 had reloading IIRC
>>
File: Farsight_reload.gif (588 KB, 449x318) Image search: [Google]
Farsight_reload.gif
588 KB, 449x318
PD reloads were the best
>>
>>338309470
I guess I get the impression that "DOOM DID IT RIGHT, TAKE THAT OTHER FIRST-PERSON SHITTERS" when to me that comes off as throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
>>
>>338309018
Reloading slows doing the pace of the game, it's not that big of a deal though
>>
Whether reloading is good or not depends entirely on the style of game you're talking about like every other fucking mechanic. In realistic or slow paced shooters it can be a good addition which adds depth to the gunplay, in fast paced shooters that are more about dodging projectiles and staying on the move it's at best an unnecessary annoyance.
>>
>>338309865
Personally I like reloading (or in the very least, consider it the biggest advancement in the genre).
>>
Obligatory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRm-BSukPds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WasgRxx6r4
>>
>>338309648
I was referring to the New Doom

>>338309682
It's not that "Doom did it first, so it's the only way". Doom has always been a very fast paced arcade-like shooter and reloading would do the opposite effect and slow down the pace.

Reloading is not the problem at all, it just turns it into a slower, more strategic shooter where you count your shots and make sure you aren't caught with your pants down, which is fine if your are designing the game to be more realistic.
Doom was designed to be fast-paced, not realistic
>>
>>338310058
It depends what the game's trying to do. It works to balance weapons adds a layer of decision making, like when to reload in the middle of a fight, or if you want to reload when you're only half empty or whatever, and we obviously need it if the game is going for a realistic tone. But it does create little breaks within a firefight where the pacing is slowed, and the dev might have to balance how many enemies they throw at the player to give them a chance to reload, so it'll be out of place in a faster old-school style shooter
>>
File: bc2.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bc2.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>338309018
I know what ya mean. Well made animations and satisfying sound is a must. Especially sound. Bad Company 2 is probably the pinnacle for me in terms of that
>>
>>338310845
Didn't every weapon reload in that game involve slapping the mag? Or was that BC1?
>>
>>338309461
Nice not know owing how to (still) make we bums fu get.
>>
>>338309018
day of defeat before it got turned to shit and went with the source engine was amazing for reloads

cancelling a reload to bayonet or melee someone was part of the game that i really enjoyed and miss from shooters

twitch shooting fps are fucking garbage
>>
>>338309648
>Doom 3 had reloading IIRC
Was Doom 3 even a Doom game in anything other than name?
>>
>>338309018
The new doom has no reloading because the combat is too hectic and fast paced for there to be time to hide and reload your weapons.

Reloading wasn't in the original doom because
a) half the guns weren't magazine fed
b) animating reloads and ammo counts would be a pain in the ass to code and animate
and
c) it wouldn't really add anything meaningful

Reloading is fine for every other game that uses it, pretty much
>>
Reload animations make me wet but thanks god Id understood NOT to put them in DOOMâ„¢
>>
>>338311575
Well it technically had Doom's monsters and guns, but not really
>>
>>338311152
??
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.