[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yooka-Laylee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (130 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
130 KB, 1280x720
>Huge sprawling expanding worlds
>Dropped

*Sigh*
The world sizes in Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie were perfect. You got to know them in and out while playing the game. Huge sprawling worlds are just a chore.
It's one of those cases where the limitations created a better product.

Thoughts?
>>
Kill yourself fag
>>
>It's another /v/ has already decided this game is shit episode
>>
Haven't heard about how big the worlds are but did you miss the showcase of how fast the guys can fly and roll?
>>
>>338283308
>*sigh*
Kys
>>
Anyone able to post the pics that came with the announcement?

Sites getting hammered so bad shit isn't loading any more.

>>338283308

I'm honestly more concerned that the huge sprawling expanding worlds will result in extremely generic, cookie cutter and infinitely recycled modular world pieces.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYFJUeQIpTk
>implying you wouldn't break the bat
>>
As long as they're not all fucking terrydactyland
>>
>>338283746
We're seen pics of 3 levels so far.
All of them made a point to display how far reaching they were.
>>
>>338283746
That level was fucking garbage. So was the Aztec one. A lot of tooies levels were too big and too much of a chore
>>
File: 1385936712588.jpg (413 KB, 717x880) Image search: [Google]
1385936712588.jpg
413 KB, 717x880
>>338283497
>Kys
>>
>>338283932
Tooie was bad.
Kazooie was amazing.
>>
>>338283932
But the Aztec one was the smallest, though.
>>
>>338283932
>>338285023
I honestly really preferred Tooie. It has probably the coolest system of interconnecting worlds I've ever seen in a game, and it made the whole thing feel like a grand fucking adventure instead of a hub based collectathon.

I loved it.
>>
>>338285023
This.
Even nuts and bolt is better than tooie
>>
>>338283308
It depends on how it's done. The travel speed, how the levels are structured and more. Perhaps there are different levels in the worlds that are connected like the zones in World of Warcraft, everything as one part, but clearly distict and you can do one part at a time, without being forced to run back and forth all the time.
>>
>>338283932
Agree 100%.

>>338285368
Aztec was bad because 80% of it was locked behind backtracking shit so you had to come back later in the game with the ability you needed to get past the obstruction. Or portal in through other worlds. And it was doubly bad because it was the first bloody level in the game.
>>
>>338286101
Nuts & bolts was an okay game.

But it wasn't a B&T game. Also I hated the fucking races in that game.
>>
>>338286605
>Aztec was bad because 80% of it was locked behind backtracking shit
What?
>>
I hope there is a game mechanic that rewards you with higher travel speeds for spamming tech skill. That's one thing that's really nice in Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart DS. You can travel at regular speed without thinking, but you can also use tech skill to improve your speed. It makes the empty walking sections much more engaging, when being skilled can make the traveling faster.
>>
>>338286101
>>338285023
fuck off fags
>>
>>338287136
Exactly what I said.

80% of the level is locked behind some barrier or obstacle that you don't have the ability to get past when you first enter the level, and you have to come back later in the game to finish getting all the shit there, and I fucking HATE backtracking.
>>
>>338286101
>When you're this contrarian
>>
>>338287412
The only jiggy in Mayahem Temple that requires a move from a future level is the Drill Bill boulder puzzle thing. (Which you learn in the very next level. The Jamjars silo is even right at the start of the level too. Backtracking to MT takes maybe five minutes.) Everything else is obtainable through things you find within the level itself though.

Look I get what you mean, I prefer the B-K style of collecting too, but you picked a really bad example here.
>>
File: 1359484045150.jpg (18 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1359484045150.jpg
18 KB, 320x287
>>338283932
Terrydactyland is too big for its own good, I agree, but it wasn't as bad since they had teleporter and flight pads everywhere. Mayahem Temple isn't even that big though and has next to no backtracking.

Honestly, the backtracking in Tooie isn't even that bad. There's maybe ten jiggies tops that require it, and when you do the backtracking it usually only takes like five minutes on average. Is it always enthralling or fun to do? No. But it's not the pain in the ass people make it out to be.

Everyone always says Tooie is either too big or has too much backtracking, but you know what Tooie's real problems were?

First off: Mumbo Jumbo. Unlike Banjo and Kazooie, his mobility is severely lacking and it takes for fucking ever to get anywhere unless you have teleporters set up ready to go beforehand. The other issue is that Mumbo barely even has a purpose and is largely a waste of time. Sad to say, but I think playable Mumbo was just a shallow gimmick that they really needed to flesh out more.

Second: The spit up pads. It's fun to run around as Kazooie and shit, but Banjo is always such a chore to use. Plus, all his moves are extremely situational and not one of them improves his incredibly slow movement speed, which he desperately needed. He's also next to defenseless without Kazooie so another attack would have been nice. The jiggies that require splitting up often times feel very forced too.

Third: 90 jiggies. You don't even get 100 jiggies for 100%ing the game. I know why this was (Tower of Tragedy was originally going to be a full fledged level with its own ten jiggies to round out the overall total but they ran out of time.) but it still really hurts after going through so much and getting so little in return. It's not a problem in Kazooie because it's significantly shorter and 100%ing it isn't nearly as much of a time sink. 100%ing it is basically its own reward. In Tooie, it's not even worth it really because nothing changes at the end.
>>
>>338283660
I'd fuck Jan's bat.

Thing is, you'd fuck anyone's version of Kazooie.
>>
>>338288171
>Drill Bill boulder puzzle thing
You can actually get that without the bill drill if you use the Superbanjo cheat.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 500x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 500x395
>*Sigh*
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.