[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really that bad ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
File: z15588436O.jpg (148 KB, 694x362) Image search: [Google]
z15588436O.jpg
148 KB, 694x362
Is it really that bad ?
>>
Compared to every other game in the series, yes it was.
>>
>>338246673
The entire souls series is flawed as fuck, but DS2 is the only one where its flaws go so far as to ruin the game
>>
It's a 8/10 which is good compared to the average game but bad compared to other Souls ganes that are 9s or maybe 10s.
>>
>>338246673
DeS>BB=DaS>DaS2 w/DLC>DaS3>DaS2

let no one lie to you otherwise
>>
It's a very very good game in a vacuum, and a great place to start for the Souls games.
Compared to the others though, it's incredibly lacking.
>>
>>338247002
DaS>BB>Das3>DeS>DaS2
>>
Personally, when it came out, I think I was just severely burnt out on Souls. It just couldn't keep my interest till the end and I only finished it after DaS3.

It's a fantastic game and I'd go as far as to say that it and DaS3 are about the same.
DaS3 is so offensively derivative of DaS1 that I just couldn't care for its environments. And that's a complaint I used to have with DaS2, that its environments were boring and samey, but after 3 it feels like a breath of fresh air.

I remember when people used to say DaS2 was dumb because it had Ornstein in some form in it and referenced DaS1 lore for no reason or something. DaS3 does the same thing except even more overtly and shamelessly.

I really appreciate DaS2 now for being so different.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is the best souls game.
>>
>>338246673
It wasn't terrible, but bad indeed, mostly because of how frustrating and unfair it was, unlike any other souls game. All those cheap ambushes, unresponsive controls and, oh my god, those fucking hitboxes and hit registration.
They thought that the most important thing about Dark Souls was the meme difficulty and dying over and over again; they clearly didn't understand it at all.
Also, limited enemy respawns was probably the worst idea they could ever have. I don't give a fuck about farmers, I wanted to conquer places with one perfect run after many failed ones, not because half of the monsters are already gone.
Teleporting from the start was just an excuse for lazy design, the menu was terrible and the messages from the other players were mostly terribly written. The system from the first one was good, why add more words?
It also didn't have the mystical and dark atmosphere from the first one, though many places still were quite beautiful in their own way.
>>
>>338246902
>Ruin
It's as flawed as either of the other Souls games.
Baddies like this probably didn't play it or expected a copy of DaS 1
>>
>>338247002
>FIRST GAME IS BEST GUYS!
fuck off.

DaS>Das3=BB>DeS>DaS2
>>
>>338246673

It's really good for coop since bosses scale and with 2 unexperienced players more often then not, overpower. I fell in love with cooping so if youre into that this game is perfect since its a souls game but with better mechanics in nearly every regard. fuck 360 spins tho
>>
>>338246971

Blind retarded fanboy detected who has only around 150 hours in all souls games. This is the representative of the souls community of /v/, dont listen to that AAA cock worshipers who 10/10 witcher 3.
>>
>>338246673

It was the worst Souls games but still a good game overall

They tried way too much with these
>THIS GAME IS HARD LMAO
thing
>>
>>338250719
The ambush thanks are no different from 3. They didn't try that at all. Git gud
>>
>>338250804
>Thanks
Ganks
>>
>>338246673
I'm having a lot of fun with it. Really the only thing I very much dislike is the overall structure. Figuring out where to go and what to do is just arcane.
>>
It has the most flaws, and the flaws that it has are way bigger than the other games.

Its not irredeemable garbage, and it has its moments. But those small moments are buried beneath tons of shitty content that is a massive pain in the ass to go through.
>>
>>338246673
I'm enjoying SotFS a lot. Playing offline only though.

Bad things about it:

> the way they did rolling/equip load is kinda dumb, DS1 did it better
> a handful of places are just annoying to get through cause of stupid time wasting enemy placement (see Iron Keep), not nearly as bad as /v/ makes it seem though
> 8-way movement? fucking really?
> having to warp to happy hub land every time you want to level up
> this didn't bother me much, but the world is clearly not as seamless as DS1. The most jarring example has got to be when you take an elevator on the top of a tower, going upwards, and end up in a castle sitting in a giant lava ocean. What in the dick man?
> some enemies are relentless, and might feel unfair to some.

Good things about it:

> more weapon variety, less shit weapons. Cool stuff like twinblades, crossbow shield, a sword that's also a staff. breddy cool
> bows are actually viable now and aiming doesn't feel like shit anymore
> powerstancing is radical
> heide knights are the tightest shit, I wish there were more of them
> has to be at least twice as long as DS1, especially with the DLC
> feels like it gives you a lot more freedom, in general, with an item that lets you rearrange your stats and less exp needed for leveling
> tryhard covenant to make the game harder
> covenants in general seem rad, though I'm playing offline only
> FUCKLOADS of bosses. And no, they're not all awful, and not all dudes in armour. Though some of the best bosses are dudes in armour
> healing's different. Estus isn't an instant heal, but you can take a few steps while chugging, and new healing items have been introduced
> some people complain about the area design. I personally think it's a beautiful game aside from some jarring single texture huge walls and dumb cube rooms.
> harder than DS1, though it might not feel so if you're used to DS
>>
Scholar > Bloodborne > Ds1 > Ds2 > DeS > DS3
>>
>>338247002
Lol
Das > Des > Das 3 > Das 2
Haven't played BB but imagine it's pretty good cus I like lovecraft, not Call of cthulu though that was kinda shit desu.
Shadow over innsmouth > whisperer in darkness > rats in the walls
>>
>>338253616
I don't think I could agree more. Though, I really liked Majula. Having to warp there every 20 minutes is bull, but the area feels really well done audiovisually.
>>
I'm a huge defender of it but I'm playing it again now and damn, it's so much slower than I remember. It takes so long to drink an estus
>>
File: 1463411966771.jpg (74 KB, 618x720) Image search: [Google]
1463411966771.jpg
74 KB, 618x720
>>338246673
>Believing /v/

Son you gettin meme'd on
>>
File: shrek.jpg (527 KB, 720x837) Image search: [Google]
shrek.jpg
527 KB, 720x837
>>338246673
remove the adaptability stat and its 10x better
>>
DaS1>DaS2>DeS

DeS is just too lackluster compared to the other. Sure, the areas are really cool but DaS and DaS2 have much better gameplay. I've been replaying them to get 100℅ achievements and I've really missed the improvement and the variety of DaS2. I think the lost crowns DLC are the proof that B-team is just as capable of A-team. It's just that they had to rush the game in 5 months
>>
>>338246673
It's not that bad, it's just not a good souls game. If it were a separate title, it wouldn't have received the level of critique that it did, meaning it would have received a pass on some aspects, such as world design and lore. Still worth a play, but don't let it sour your overall souls experience. Think of it as a side story of an unrelated event in the same world. Also,

DeS = DaS > Armored Core 1 - 4A > BB = DaS3 > DaS2 > Armored Core V/VD
>>
>>338253880
Because there's other ways to heal.

I think the biggest thing people just don't understand about DaS2 is that they think popping Lifegems is somehow cheap, despite the entire game being designed around their inclusion.
>>
>>338250471
I really, really like this ranking
>>
>>338254639
I'm mostly talking about the huge amount of lag between me pressing X and the animation even starting. but yeah I'm using more life gems now
>>
>>338247002
Nostalgiafag.

>>338248768
>>338250471
>>338253728
Acceptable

>>338253668
Shit opinion.
>>
>>338253616
This is pretty much spot-on. One thing I'd add to the Bad list is that a few enemies don't seem to obey the laws of the game, or typical games in general, such as Allone Knights being able to dash over drops and around walls, and also being able to turn 180 degrees at the end of their dash if you call their bluff.

While these instances of "rule-breaking" are largely fine once you know about them, they can be particularly frustrating if you don't.

To add something to the "good" list is something i never see listed anywhere, but being able to Ascetic bonfires was one of my favorite features of the game. Being able to respec was also nice.
>>
it's great, give it a try (make sure to get Scholar edition)
it has some things wrong, but also has improvements that weren't implemented in DS3 because of Hackazaki's ego
>>
>>338246673
Bosses are a bit bland, not all of them.

I think it's pretty good, it has a few flaws, but I like it.
>>
>>338253616
>> 8-way movement? fucking really?
What are you talking about? 8-way rolling? DaS2 added that. In DaS1 you could only roll in 4 directions.
>>
>>338257504
>because of Hackazaki's ego
More like because From was afraid that DS3 would be hated too if it wasn't exactly like 1. And then it wasn't exactly like 1, rather it was linear as fuck.
>>
>>338246673
I only have a pc.
Do I get Das, DaS2 or DaS3?
Which one is the most fun?

DaS is also currently 75% off and DaS2 50%.
>>
>>338246673

This

Fucking

Thread

Again

Every

Fucking

Day

>>
> Can use Binoculars for sniping with sorceries
> Not the best souls game

They took this out from DS3.
Literally no fun allowed.
>>
>>338259754
Get dark souls 1, and them play 3. 3 feels like a proper sequel to 1, 2 is like a spinoff when it comes to story or lore, if you give a shit about that.

2 also feels like dogshit compared to the other 2 games, everything is so fucking slow, from movement to animations
>>
>>338258463
I can't quite put my finger on it. I think the deadzones might be fucked? Movement felt "easier" in DS1.
>>
>>338259754
Get them all as they're all worth playing. Release order is best order because you can see the developing game mechanics and returning to older games after playing the new ones first can feel somewhat dreary.

Dark Souls 1: Prepare to Die Edition - remember to download DSfix fan patch, it's extremely easy to install
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - remember to get this version as it includes all the DLC and some other small changes, unlike DaS1 this doesn't require fan patches
Dark Souls 3
>>
>>338259982
Yahtzee was right. 2 at least tried to innovate and drift away from the original. DS3 is literally a fan service. I had much more fun with 2. Also: >>338259953
>>
>>338259380
>1
>not linear
>>
>>338246673
DaS>SoTFS>BB>DaS2>BB>DaS3
>>
>>338260116
>Dark Souls 1: introduces new lore and world from Demon's Souls
>Dark Souls 2: focuses more heavily on cyclic nature of the world and the main theme of suffering stemming from craving
>Dark Souls 3: Dark Souls 1 fanservice, even the endings were recycled though the final boss was 10/10
I liked them all, but I'm still quite peeved. DaS3 didn't really have any memorable characters like Aldia or Vendrick. Let's hope the upcoming DLC remedies this.
>>
>>338260012

It's the deadzones, yes. Feels like I'm playing with some sort of fucked up gated joystick shaped like a gear shift.
>>
>>338260082
>unlike DaS1 this doesn't require fan patches
If you want KB+M i find that DS2 unpatched is even worse than DS1 unpatched. Autohotkey and 5 minutes in the controls menu fixes those problems nicely though.
>>
>>338259982
Don't listen to this faggot.

Play them in order.

DaS3 doesn't "feel like a proper sequel" it feels like it's sucking DaS1's dick from the beginning till the end.
Souls was never about having a consistent story across games. Lore, yes, but 2 was just as consistent as 3 when it came to that.

It should've been like Final Fantasy a bit. Every game should've had a unique story with unique characters, but set in the same world. Or maybe not even that, it could've also been a new world every time, but with the same rulesets and general lore. I would've liked that.

As it stands, while 3 has the best gameplay (apart from not having Poise), I still would rate 2 higher based on originality.
>>
>>338260470
>Dark Souls
>KB+M

kek
>>
>>338260012
>>338260460
The movement in general was a bit stiffer and slower than in the other ones for some reason. The absolutely shit framerate on PS3 didn't help with the jerky movement. It's like the entire game is Blighttown or 3-2.
>>
>>338246673
vanilla was fine, but not even close to the level of other souls

sotfs is garbage
>>
BB = Da3 > DaS > DeS > Da2
>>
>>338253616
>healing's different. Estus isn't an instant heal
This fucking thing here was one of the best improvements DaS2 did. At least they kept the Estus upgrade system (instead of gamebreaking kindling) in DaS3, but I have no fucking idea why they decided to ditch non-instant Estus heal.

DaS1 and DaS3 have a problem in both PvE and PvP that you can easily tank hits by chugging Estus, whereas in DaS2 you actually had to time your chugs properly.
>>
agility and soul memory ruined this game
>>
>>338261015
Because every thing in 3 is bloodborne fast, so the player needs to heal fast. Can you imagine playing 3 with the 5 seconds it takes to drink estus you need in 2?
>>
>>338253616
>he prefers the bullshit 4-directional rolling where locking on to an enemy is a death sentence

what
>>
>>338261101
>agility
Yeah, it's kind of dumb. Not gamebreaking, but dumb.

>soul memory
Only if you play PvP.

>>338261015
>gamebreaking kindling
Now I am shit at these games, but even I never had need for TWENTY esthus.
>>
>>338261104
I wasn't talking about the duration of the animation itself, but the fact that in DaS2 Estus doesn't instantly heal its full amount once the chug is over. It was more akin to a (still quite fast) healing over time effect, meaning if you timed it wrong an enemy could damage you faster than the Estus healed you. In DaS1 and DaS3 the heal is instant and the health bar not filling instantly is just visual.
>>
Are the servers of the older games even still online?
>>
>>338261453
DS1 seems to be down. DS2 isn't even that old.
>>
>>338247002

Pretty close.

It's actually:

DeS>BB>DaS2>DaS>DaS3
>>
>>338261517
I think DS1 on pc has online through some mod program.
>>
>>338261453
They're all still active, I'm pretty sure.

>>338261517
DS2 is still surprisingly active on the fucking PS3 of all places, I've found. There are players all over the place.
>>
>>338246673
It did a few things right but it also did quite a few things wrong.
It was ultimately just OK.
It wasn't a substantial improvement compared to the the mistakes it made, like its linear environments or its butchered aesthetics.

What's mostly annoying is how much good shit they just tossed straight into the trash when making Dark Souls 3.
Dark souls 2 at least deserves some props for being the only game where fist weapons aren't pure garbage.
>>
Playing 3 made me appreciate it a lot more, but it's still easily the worst of the series
>>
>>338260134
What he meant was that they tried to copy somewhat the first game but 3 ended up being pretty linear in the end.
>>
>>338261562
Was just about to post this
>>
>>338250343
this. t.b.h.
>>
Depends on what "that" is.
>>
Are the DLC good?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.