[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leaving the fanbase behind, how do you feel about this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13
File: Undertale-Full-Version-PC-Game.jpg (26 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Undertale-Full-Version-PC-Game.jpg
26 KB, 300x400
Leaving the fanbase behind, how do you feel about this game
>>
>>338227425
It's a fine 10 dollar game, just wish everyone would just take their autism meds and leave the game alone.
>>
>>338227425
I've literally never played it.
>>
>shit art
>decent gimmick
>shameless Mother clone
>fag creator
Eh, like 5/10.
>>
>>338227667
You should, it's a really good story but please for the sake of your sanity stay away from the fanbase
>>
>>338227425
7/10
Stale after you play through it 3 times
>>
>>338227425
>when I first played the demo and discussed the frequent threads on /v/ in 2013
Wow this game is pretty neat, it really fucks with your computer too. Looks promising. Can't wait.

>when it just came out and /v/ had nonstop threads about it
This game was really great. Entertaining from start to finish with some great music. Definitely in my top 3 indie games.

>one week later after cancerous fanbase and insufferable 'I just watched a LP of this and it seems epic! Also gonna watch an LP of EarthBound next!' fags set in
Ehh, maybe this game wasn't THAT good. I mean it's a 7/10 at best
>>
File: 1459094872923.jpg (70 KB, 310x400) Image search: [Google]
1459094872923.jpg
70 KB, 310x400
>>338227425
I played through it once and enjoyed it. Will probably go back and do a pacifist and genocide run someday
>>
File: wasted-life.gif (124 KB, 581x328) Image search: [Google]
wasted-life.gif
124 KB, 581x328
I thought it was really funny and cute, I played it shortly after it was released. I have since mostly forgotten about it. Some parts like sitting around listening to music with the ghost were really cool.

I didn't know what Homestuck was or what its fanbase was like until 2 weeks ago (not that I live under a rock, I just thought it was some webcomic) so when I saw /v/ hated it after I played it I really had no idea why. The vitriol seems unfair tbqh though the 10/10 reviews for something ever so slightly larger in scope than a flash game are equally ridiculous.

It suffers from having too much hype and hate surrounding it.
>>
>>338228956

This famerino
>>
>>338228556
I really like the different feel of the game like it fucks with your mind, breaks the fourth wall alot and how the game force closes itself when something big is about to happen, it's really unique
>>
File: 1448882200856.png (130 KB, 649x552) Image search: [Google]
1448882200856.png
130 KB, 649x552
>>338227425
I liked it a lot, it has a unique twist when it comes to RPG gameplay which reminds me of Paper Mario, it has the comedy of Earthbound and it gives me just general RPG Maker vibes like Yume Nikki. It also has a sexy OST.

7.5/10

Real fucking sick of seeing it though at this point.
>>
File: this.jpg (71 KB, 500x627) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
71 KB, 500x627
>>338228956
This.
>>
Its an average/good game with a great ending. However it gets entirely too much praise from its retarded fanbase.
>>
A 8/10 for me. Fun battle mechanics and boss battles are a big plus for me. Game is easy as fuck but it's also short so it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Pretty good music too.
>>
The OST is the best
>>
>>338227425
I thought it was a mediocre game. Gameplay was nothing new, just bullethell and standard rpg. The attempt at 'humor' was shoddy.I made it until somewhere along those skeleton brothers but since other anons told it would just be more of the same I just quit. Definitely not the GOTY some shitposters here want you to believe.
>>
>>338227425

>godtier OST, many notable tracks
>good story*
>decent gameplay
>art's what you'd expect from an indie game mostly made by one guy, so I gave it a pass. At least it isn't downright ugly.

I gave it a 9/10, mainly because of the OST and the Genocide route. The existence of Genocide means there's actually major and unavoidable consequences for the player's actions, rather than "you get a slightly worse ending and have to restart if you want to do True Pacifist". Also, plot armor makes the final bosses of the Pacifist and Neutral very easy. If the Genocide route didn't exist, I'd give the game a 6/10 at best and probably wouldn't have even played it in the first place.

I don't give a shit about the fanbase because I don't interact with it often. If you're running into cancerous people often, then why the fuck are you going to tumblr or /utg/? That's like a normalfag going on /b/ to intentionally find objectionable material like loli or gore threads and then posting on facebook about how "4chan is such a sick site omg".
>>
its comfy and it has a pretty good soundtrack. The fun parts were the fights, and the characters and writing were sort of funny. It vaguely reminded me of a Ghibli film.

However, the graphics were inconsistent and that made it feel a bit odd, because the atmosphere in one place could feel really detailed. Then it becomes literally pixels. Also, Flowey feels a bit too forced in terms of "innocent-but-edgy" characters.
>>
It's alright. The game tried really hard to make me feel connected to characters that I feel like should have more of a back story and dialogue that isn't just sarcastic banter.

I enjoyed the game but I think the only reason it got popular is because Toby Fox made it. If anyone else made it I think think it would have exploded nearly as much as it did.

The OST is incredible.
>>
It's a fine game for the price. Music is top notch, the bullet hell parts are fun on their own, and spread out evenly enough that the pacing never drags. I think a lot of the people who praise it are overreacting, and a lot of the people who criticize it exaggerate too.

The "commentary" on RPGs that everyone loves to talk about only really come into focus if you complete the different paths, which makes the messages of the individual paths seem a bit facile, and also requires someone to like the game enough to play through the whole thing again to get the full content. For example, the whole logic behind souls and transformations is fucking gibberish if you don't go through each run. On top of this, the effect of the story depends on how much the player likes the characters which is really subjective.

I have some problems outside of the story, too. The designs for the overworld are amateurish and inconsistent in quality from place to place. The game also intentionally makes combat boring to encourage pacifism, but a lot of the pacifist ways to end fights are equally if not more boring. The muffet fight is the worst example.

Overall, bretty good. I'd recommend it.
>>
It was a cute game.

Also the first game I developed an emotional attachment to in a long, long time. The story might not be great but the characters are all fantastic. The gameplay is simple but fun and varied enough to carry the game.

It's just a cute game that lasts as long as it needs to, and no longer than that.

Felt pretty sad when it ended.
>>
>>338227425
I liked it. Pretty much have forgotten about it for the most part, though.
>>
Going in mostly blind I thought it was a great game for $10. Just about everything sans the fanbase and lack of detailed art was pretty top notch
>>
>>338227907
isn't every game besides fallout NV?
>>
>>338227425
In my top 10
>>
>>338227425
I don't play any game that my friends push me to play because of the story.

I give 0 fucks about any quirky story a game might have, I just want pure gameplay
>>
>>338227425
Great writing, great music, great game design that plays off conventions we've come to expect from the genre, great art direction. I don't have any complaints, it's my favorite game.
>>
Can't stand anything about it
Refuse to ever play it, or watch anyone play it.
The art pisses me off, it's existence pisses me off. People who like it should die and you faggots need to stop making threads about it, cause that pisses me off too
>>
I found it to be pretty good. It has a big plot hole in regards to Sparing Monster Kid during a Genocide run. Alphys should still be evacuating and shit, but whatever.

It's more fun to shit on the fanbase than to talk about the neat things the game did ad-nauseum.
>>
>>338231441
>It has a big plot hole in regards to Sparing Monster Kid during a Genocide run
elaborate
>>
best music of 2015
>>
File: raziel.jpg (754 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
raziel.jpg
754 KB, 1600x1200
>>338227425
It's another shit indie game like the rest.
Anyways, it's irrelevant.
>>
>>338227425
I liked it a lot, great music, dogs and was nice to play for all three endings.
9/10 I totally recommend it.
>>
A lot of the humor (and thus a lot of game) fell flat for me, but the endings are all pretty good and bump the game up from mediocre with a good soundtrack to decent.
>>
>>338229567
The creator stole this.
Listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHL_Bk60F_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxIWhhxboE
>>
>>338231580

Its more the plot not reacting the way it should. At this point, Alphys should be terrified of you and beginning to evacuate people; so it is a little jarring to see her all happily greeting you in her lab after you mudered Undyne after sparing MKid.

Undyne being a neutral path fight would make since in a weird way because she just witnessed you spare a kid and thus can't go full Undying due to the tiniest bit of hope she might have in you not being literally Satan.
>>
I've been meaning to play it, I'm sure it's actually a really good game. Haven't yet though.
>>
>>338227425
I thought it was a very good lighthearted game, the characters were good and the music was great. The humor was hit or miss, and the overall story was okay.

However the game play was really quite boring gameplay-wise. Most of the non-boss enemies were a snore to go against, and most of the bosses really did last forever. Genocide run was even fucking worse, since half of the bosses in the game you kill instantly. The only good thing about it was the Sans fight, and even then.

I donno, 7.5/10 at best.
>>
The writing and music are strong, but the gameplay is severely lacking. It's one of those games you can watch someone else play on Youtube and still get the best of what it has to offer.

The combat is inventive, which is a plus, but it lacks depth even compared to the Mario and Luigi games or Earthbound. The only time combat is fun is during certain boss fights.

The overworld is incredibly boring and overly linear, with very little room for actual exploration and side quests. Puzzles are piss poor and are more of a pace breaker than they are a good time.

And Genocide is god-awful from a gameplay standpoint. Literally nothing but mandatory grinding, and only two boss fights. Granted, the boss fights here actually present a challenge unlike in other routes, but in Sans' case, it's an incredibly cheap challenge that relies far too heavily on trial-and-error for the sake of a meta-narrative. That's not to say it can't be fun once you've memorized all of his attacks, but I think if you want to have a well-designed challenging boss, you shouldn't design it so that the player is pretty much guaranteed to lose the first few times. If the narrative has to be sacrificed a bit because of this, so be it. Narrative shouldn't negatively influence the gameplay.

Still, what wins most people over is the writing and music. Honestly, Undertale is probably the best-written game ever as of now in terms of incorporating game mechanics into it's story. And there's nothing to be said about the great soundtrack that hasn't already been said.
Even in regards to the gameplay, most are willing to overlook it's numerous shortcomings because of how inventive it all is.

And it clearly did something right, because it's so damn hard even for the most cynical of assholes to not like the game. Even though /v/ will never admit it, Undertale is one of, if not the most unanimously loved game on this site in regards to those who actually played it and gave it a fair chance.
>>
>>338227425
I liked it, but I wish I hadn't spoiled myself before playing it. It's pretty much a requirement to play the game completely blind.

Music is the best part about the game, obviously, though nowadays I can't bring myself to listen to songs like Megalovania because it reminds me too much of the game's horrible fanbase.
>>
>>338227667
Pretty much every person who hates the game.
>>
Recently played all 3 routes
Its in my top 5 most hated games
>>
Undertale was overhyped, but alot of other shit in 2015 was also overhyped (Fallout 4, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, Dying Light)
>>
>>338232689
>Fallout 4
>overhyped

Fallout 4 was shit on by just about everybody everybody once it came out. Definitely not comparable with Undertale's case.
>>
>>338232910

It won 50+ GOTY awards and the reception outside hardcore gaming areas and Bethesda forums was very positive.

Fallout 4 brought about a level of hatejerking and counterjerking for New Vegas and Witcher 3 that makes TLoU and Bioshock Infinite look small by comparison.

New Vegas wasn't worshipped this fucking hard until Fallout 4 came out.
>>
>>338233281
>eat pizza every day
>eat dog shit once
"THIS FUCKING SUCKS PIZZA WAS WAY BETTER"
>QUIT CIRCLEJERKING PIZZA YOU DIDN'T CARE ABOUT IT UNTIL I GAVE YOU DOG SHIT
>>
it's ok. a lot of the individual elements are REALLY bad though. also the music is pretty bad. it serviceable poppy butt rock at best.
>>
Fucking amazing soundtrack. Shit graphics but with an o.k. aesthetic. Passable gameplay for a smaller indie game albeit gimmicky. Corny jokes and stupid writing but in a good way. Solid experience for indie fans though it leaves a lot to be desired. 7/10.
>>
File: 1434343676685.png (332 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
1434343676685.png
332 KB, 596x628
What fanbase?
The meme died.
Toby ran with his money and will never finish hard mode, why would you do any more work if you stole as much autism bucks as he did.
>>
Please stop making undertale threads without mentioning the name of the game. It gets through my filter and I'm fucking sick of seeing it.
>>
File: Undertale fanart.png (432 KB, 700x1089) Image search: [Google]
Undertale fanart.png
432 KB, 700x1089
>>338227425
For the most part, I enjoyed it. Some of the writing was a bit too cheesy for me at points and the level design felt hackneyed around Hotlands. The plot is pretty strong until the last leg of the game and then it just says "fuck it" and resorts to the same tired note of friendship and world destruction etc. etc.

There were some incredible tracks on the OST - Toby Fox definitely understood how to make a boss theme memorable. But most other tracks ranged from passable to so-so.

it was a nice little game that surpassed my expectations. nothing more, nothing less
>>
http://pastebin.com/f31AJx4J
>>
>>338231979
>similar chord progression = theft
What an offensively stupid post
>>
File: S3K.jpg (787 KB, 1920x1338) Image search: [Google]
S3K.jpg
787 KB, 1920x1338
Well, I enjoyed a certain fast-paced platformer more
>>
>>338234308
good review
>>
>ugly art
>forgettable music
>made me want to play earthbound.
>turned it off after playing about 20 minutes and booted up EB.
>>
The fans and especially the haters are autistic as fuck and you shouldn't be paying either any attention.

I loved the OST and the writing. Story wasn't good but the lore seems very interesting and the dialogue was always a pleasure, the characters were extremely likeable apart from Alphys who was a tad overblown. The gimmick was solid.

Also, the Papyrus date fight made my heart race a little.
>>
OT but just gonna ask here since this thread is moving, can anyone identify this music at 2:31:31?

https://youtu.be/G5M5hhk7wAM?t=9091

It sounds incredibly familiar and its been bugging me for a while that I can't remember where its from.
>>
>>338227425
It's unfun, tries too hard to be unique while feeling bland, and its message and story are childish in its reasoning

3/10
>>
>>338227654
>autism meds
Those don't exist yet, anon.
>>
>>338229619
You didn't get to see the best parts, anon.
>>
>>338230640
>I enjoyed the game but I think the only reason it got popular is because Toby Fox made it. If anyone else made it I think think it would have exploded nearly as much as it did.
Are you for real? Literally nobody knew who Toby Fox was before Undertale.
>>
>>338227425
I think it's great, personally.
It does storytelling in a way that only a video game could do by fucking with your preconceptions of how video game stories are told, and integrating key features of a game into it's story as well.

Humour is subjective, but to me it ranged from small nose-laughs to outright laughing out loud, which is surprising since I'm not usually into "safe" humour like Undertale's, so it was, to me, done well for what it was.

The writing is pretty good. The characters are VERY well written to me, but I can't ignore the glaring plot hole of Flowey's existence. He has no soul, despite souls being "the very culminating of your being", meaning he should not exist at all, especially not as Asriel and some characters acting OOC in some scenarios, so overall pretty good but not perfect.

The music is fantastic. Shit's either really catchy, atmospheric, or just good in general.

Graphics...definitely leave something to be desired. They're inconsistent, sometimes just plain ugly, if I'm honest. That being said, they work well enough for their purpose, and I kind of stopped noticing after a very short time.

Overall, 8/10. It has a few problems, but to me they're overcome by the good character writing, music and interesting gameplay.
>>
>>338227425
Definitely the best thing I've paid for 10 bucks.
>>
>>338227425
Better than anything that came out on PS4 and Xbone
Sonyggers are still mad about this
>>
I like how almost everyone has to specifically say "I don't like the fanbase"

No one does, and it has nothing to do with the game
>>
I think it's a boring game. Neither the gameplay nor the plot are interesting to me and I just didn't even finish it.
>>
File: wow.png (42 KB, 836x191) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
42 KB, 836x191
It's a good game.
Even better when it rustles jimmies.
>>
>>338238962
Flowery has an artificial soul made by alphy, attached to the remnants of asriel's soul.
>>
File: 56353570_p0.png (428 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
56353570_p0.png
428 KB, 1000x707
>>338234308

Good review, even though I disagree with your score. The Genocide route was my favorite route as well. A happy ending means less if you don't have the means to take it away.
>>
File: westboroman.png (221 KB, 332x351) Image search: [Google]
westboroman.png
221 KB, 332x351
>>338233854
Can't run with the money just yet, he still needs to make that stretch goal comic.
>>
>>338227425
>bland music
>battle system is amusing but let down by ultimately uninteresting patterns outside of bosses
>random encounters can be a chore having to put up with boring enemy attacks
>random humor that doesn't appeal to me
>insanely predictable "no you were the monsters" story
>short as hell
It seems like one of those "play it for the story" kind of games so it wasn't for me in the end, especially seeing as the humor didn't draw me in at all. I tried replaying it to get the bad ending but jesus christ it wasn't fun at all.
>>
>>338227425
It was ok. Gameplay was shallow, tedious and overall subpar, and I felt like it really missed opportunities with how neutral runs should have played out when you killed or spared certain characters. The only run worth doing is pacifist.
>>
File: image.png (347 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
347 KB, 1000x1000
>>338227425
It's a good short game with a great OST that makes you flip conventional RPG mechanics on it's head in order to get the best possible ending (although SMT did the whole talking to monsters thing first, even Toby Fox said he got his idea from it).

I was hyped for Undertale back when the demo was out. It's annoying that all this stupid fanbase shit ends up getting in the way of the game therefore making newcomers to it hate it just because of the fucking dumb fanbase. The fanbase can be as 'autistic' as the Freddy one although unlike FNAF, Undertale plays like an actual game. Even here on /v/ you get loads of threads calling it an 'SJW Game' because Tumblr likes it.
On Toby Fox's Twitter, he can't stand the cringe either.
>>
>>338227425
It's like 999, a shit game designed around a cool gimmick.
>>
It was generally great. The middle part after Snowdin started to fall apart setting wise, losing that "This is where the monsters live" feel and just throwing random shit at you to fill time until the ending. It really lacked the cool detailed touches the beginning threw at you, and while I am in the minority with this, I didn't like how the final boss went to the point of "I'm self aware I'm a videogame! All the world is meaningless now because I'm aware everything is just pixels on a monitor! Oh, but suspend your disbelief despite all that and go ahead thinking I'M beyond this game!"

Outside of those 2 things, a fun adventure. Good music, fun gameplay, generally likable characters. The final-final battle almost redeemed the bullshit with Flowey for me.
>>
>Pacifist route is boring
>t-t-trust me bro it gets AMAZING on genocide route, all the boredom pays off haha it's a total riot h-haha
>Genocide route is a shitty grindfest
How can this game be so well received? I guess the concept in genocide route is cool, but it's also really tedious.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.