[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any people on this board that consider this a "sport"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (46 KB, 460x264) Image search: [Google]
image.png
46 KB, 460x264
Any people on this board that consider this a "sport"?
>>
If we can consider Chess and Bridge to be sports, then we may as well slap competitive gaming into it
>>
>>338116885
except those aren't sports, they're games
>>
>>338116621
it does take teamwork as well as reaction and constant practice to be top tier

so yes it is a sport despite what alot of normies think
>>
It can be entertaining to watch at times just like sports.
I don't understand why /sp/ gets so butthurt about it.
>>
>>338116936
...his point exactly.
>>
File: 1449044179911.jpg (20 KB, 435x503) Image search: [Google]
1449044179911.jpg
20 KB, 435x503
>>338116621
Theyre e-sports, not real sports. Also, didnt mlg died? Without Halo they had nothing.
>>
>>338116936
They are games officially recognized as sports
>>
What do you mean by "this"?
>>
Shit posting is not a sport
>>
There are sports, and there's also esports.
Why doesn't this discussion end.
>>
It seems all dictionaries define sport as a physical or athletic activity. That will be changed very soon.
>>
>>338116621
There are still people who won't shut the fuck up about those MLG memes.
>>
Video games are a sport in the same way razor scooters are a sport. Sure, semantics will say its a sport but I'm disappointed anybody threw time into making it one.
>>
>>338117848
There's no semantics involved in making scooters a sport. I'm assuming you're talking about the act of riding them. If you call motorcycle racing a sport there's no reason a scooter can't be. A scooter even takes more effort than a motorcycle.
>>
>>338116621
It puzzles me why we don't just create a whole new term/catagory for competitive gaming instead of the majority constantly whining about wanted to be accepted as a "sport"
>>
>>338117446
Because you keep responding to it instead of just ignore it.
>>
>>338118035
it takes far more skill and awareness to be a motorcycle GP racer.
>>
It's not a sport because real athletes actually get laid
>>
>>338118213
I don't see why. I'm assuming people do tricks on a scooter so why can't it take skill in its own areas like skateboarding?
>>
>>338118103
esports you retard
>>
People make new games all the time, why does nobody make new sports?
>>
>>338118364
uh because they ride at 200 mph and they have to make breakneck turns while maintaining that speed. there are very few people in the world who have the mental clarity to do a job like that.
>>
>>338118697
You haven't answered my question. By that logic basketball shouldn't be a sport for the same reasons. Each sport has its own skill areas.
>>
>>338116621
Why wouldn't it be a sport?
>>
>>338118814
and some sports are more difficult than others, that's the point.
>>
>>338116621
It's a sport like how hot dog eating is a sport. Yes, it can be competitive and people train hard for it but it shouldn't taken that seriously.
>>
It's not because every game e-sport is unbalanced and the game changes every month. Football has been the same thing ever since it started out while games like LoL and CS is nothing like it were from the start.
>>
>>338119029
That doesn't make less difficult sports not sports and that was never the point.
>>
File: image.gif (944 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
944 KB, 500x500
>>338119006
No sweat involved
>>
>>338118523
notice the "sports" bit.
>>
>>338119096
It's the future now. This is what futuresports look like. Games like baseball aren't getting made anymore and catching on on that level. Plus you used to be able to play Football without the risk of getting your neck snapped. It's now unbalanced to people who aren't 6'5.
>>
>>338116621

Sports are athletic challenges that involve athletes pushing their bodies and willpower to their limits in order to reach the peak of physical ability (ex. Running, swimming, weightlifting). The purpose of sport is to test the capability and limits of the human body.

Games are activities primarily for leisure and entertainment where players hone their technique and strategy through hours of practice, often in cooperation with others, in order to best the technique/strategy of opponents (ex. Chess, video games, basketball).
>>
>>338119130
in the eyes of a realist, it does. only the highest level of skill is worth spectating. anything else is pleb tier.
>>
>>338119368
But a "sport" need consistency for it to be competitive, otherwise it will just be like Dota or game like that, one patch you see one team totally dominating every other team and then the game makes some balance changes and that same team that was unbeatable is now a trash team because the "meta" is not in their favor anymore.
That's why you can see players staying in the top all the time in regular sport like football and basket while in e-sports there's no way a player can consistently dominate because the balance changes will make it so the meta is not in his favor anymore.
>>
>>338119427
That definition will be changed soon and the purpose of sports is fun and leisure not pushing the limits.
>>
>>338119096
>Football has been the same thing ever since it started out while games like LoL and CS is nothing like it were from the start.
That's because whiny babies piss and moan until the developer releases a patch that nerfs a certain weapon, character or strategy rather than learning to adapt and find a way to counter it.
>>
>>338119570
So basketball isn't a sport because its players probably couldn't race motorcycles. Got it.
>>
>>338116621
Sorry but I can't take seriously anything that has MLG on it anymore, God bless those dank memesters who bring joy to our lives with those MLG videos
>>
>>338119803
racing, soccer, and hockey. those are the only sports in my point of view.
>>
>>338119709

>sports are for fun

When you see an Olympic athlete puking after running a 4 minute mile, be sure to ask him how "fun" it was.
>>
ITT: Everything I like is a sport
>>
>>338120194
Olympics are a different thing entirely. The original intent of sports is to have fun. That's why kids can play them in the park or you can get a few buddies together to toss around a football that doesn't follow the rules but it's close enough to football.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.