[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make quests interesting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
How do you make quests interesting?
>>
>>338116171
Who knows, most quests are fetch quests
>>
>>338116171
Expand the lore/world with them. Uncover mysteries of the plot. Don't make them feel "extra".

Look at Wutai. It's the single best sidequest of any rpg j or otherwise. You had great world building, an entire optional continent, an optional recruitable character who had a developed arc, a dungeon, a boss, great rewards and even when you were finished there were more optional things to do.
>>
>>338116171
Let the quest makers in The Secret World do them
>>
>>338116171
Don't make hundreds of it.

Don't make it mandatory for the leveling proccess.

Most memorable quests for me where Runescape and Ragnarok Online ones.

Investigation quests on The Secret World are also awesome
>>
>>338116840
This guy gets it. Quality is better than quantity, and they can be extended by chain quests if needed. Less unrelated chore quests and more quests to solve overarching mysteries, threats, and changes to zones. Plus more that are rich in lore rather than mere notes about an obscure NPC.
>>
>>338116840
I really loved how Ragnarok Online actually has tons and tons of quests to do, but you'd never find them unless you spend time going through the world and talking to every NPC you meet.
RO and Runescape are both pretty special in that quests give exp, but a lot of them give you access to special gameplay stuff that other people don't have access to. Ragnarok has dyes, juice making, diamond gambling, a good handful of dungeons, homunculus, equipment slotting, and more. Runescape has like 8 modes of travel, shortcuts everywhere, weapons/equipment that grows with your character, minigames, whole areas full of quests and unique monsters, alternate ways to gather resources or train skills.

I think it's great when quests are like an extra little reward instead of when they're the main focus of the game. Quest focused games are dumb as hell. Like I'm playing Tree of Savior with my friend but since he's always a little behind me I have to go through every quest in the game a second time and fight tons of HP sponge bosses for literally 0.01% exp. I could find a populated little spot, hit kneeling shot, put a weight on my attack key and gain 2-3 levels in the time it takes to catch him up.
>>
File: 1360805105270.png (61 KB, 182x189) Image search: [Google]
1360805105270.png
61 KB, 182x189
Some quests in The Secret World are interesting, even if the rest of the game sucks

>that one puzzle about the group of people who died trying to brute-force a code to unlock a door, one of them being dyslexic as you look into their notes
>>
>>338118767
I find it really refreshing that ToS actually gives you the option to grind if you don't want to quest.

Unlike the past 3000 mmos of the last 10 years or so.
>>
>>338118891
I just wish that the option was more readily available. There are a lot of areas in the game where you're going to see like 8 enemies on screen max. And it only takes one guy to clear out 30-40 enemies in a heartbeat while everyone waits 3 minutes for them to repopulate.

>>338118876
I've been trying to get back into it but it feels like the further into the game the worse it gets. The first couple stages with the urban levels and buildings to explore were really neat. I loved the school and the secret bosses around the little town and stuff. But Egypt is just sand and reskinned enemies for miles and I'm so sick of it.
>>
>>338119395
Yeah, some areas are clearly made so you don't grind on them. I wish every map was really densely populated, like the starting maps.
>>
as someone who's done every quest in runescape to this day:

-good story with a focused goal, that advances the plot in a satisfying way
-unique gameplay mechanics
-recurring npcs that are on your side that feel fleshed out
-rewards that are more than just gold or unique equipment; rewards should be new areas, bosses, something like that

that's generally what makes a good quest for me.
>>
>>338119472
Part of me misses the "Camps" of places like in Everquest.

Shame EQN died.
>>
File: 1463262033700.jpg (71 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1463262033700.jpg
71 KB, 633x758
>>338116171
>this game never came out

The moment I saw this concept image and we began having live letters, I had hope. I had hope for a brand new game, a second chance for the game that I invested time and money on in anticipation for a successor to FFXI. The patches leading up to the original game's shutdown were probably the most excited I've been for anything in a long time. The game came out and I was disappointed that it didn't look like the concept mockup visually, but it was still fun to play.

then the patches kept coming out. And coming out, and all I was left with was a generic repetitive MMO that never actually added any new or interesting content.

Now they're trying to do so and they don't have the team for it, so it all comes off as half assed or no effort. The dream is dead. MMOs are dead. Fuck life.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.