[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could have Nintendo made the Wii U as popular as the Wii?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11
File: Wii vs Wii U.jpg (39 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
Wii vs Wii U.jpg
39 KB, 620x412
How could have Nintendo made the Wii U as popular as the Wii?
>>
>>338112720
More motion controls, touch screens etc.
>>
Made it a mobile phone with Wii Sports Mobile.
>>
Giving it a different name and more support, probably should have had a smash game ready in 2013.
>>
>>338112720
Give it a fucking good name to start with hell the Nintendo U would have been fine.
Fix the on board software including the VC, free 'updates' to Wii VC owners to transfer to the WiiU, gamepad works as a CC in wii mode, more games that first year, Wii/GC VC available near launch and probably many more things
>>
>>338112720
Wii's purpose was to seek blue oceans and grow gaming, while Wii U wasn't. The philosophy behind the Wii U was just wrong.
>>
>>338112720
not called it the fucking Wii U
i still meet people to this day that were unaware it was an entirely new console
>>
They keep trying the technology look all new on every game they release but its not and no one cares for it.
>>
Wii 2 is a good name. Wii U isn't.
The gimmick is cool, but could have been reduced to a touch surface and gyro.
>>
Smash as a launch title.

Better marketing campaign. Or any marketing campaign at all.

Better and more integration with the 3DS.

A focus on asymmetric gameplay with the gamepad. Party games should have used this alot more. It worked great in Mario Party.

Better graphics.
>>
>>338112720
Have good commericals for it

Have smash 4 and zelda u near launch

Honestly it wasnt rocket surgery, they just got lazy with marketing it.
>>
>>338114270
*Trying to make the*
>>
The questions assumes that the majority of people who bought a Wii
>actually liked the console and didn't regret buying it
>wanted more "innovation" with the controller
>were a regular game buyer prior to the Wii or were turned into a regular game buyer by the Wii
Lost in all the dick waving over the Wii topping that generation in sales is the reality that the two other systems were both pretty close by console industry standards. The Wii U was never going be as popular as the Wii because Nintendo failed in their ultimate goal for Wii -- turn non-gamers into reliable customers.
>>
Every game they release, they keep acting like its all new and cool. "Oh look! You can do this with the uncomfortable controller and it does a basic thing!"
>>
>>338114291
>yfw there will never be a WII 2(too) WOULD LIKE TO PLAY commercial
>>
>>338114514

Kinda retarded how they wanted the non-gamers. If you've ever watched someone who has never played a video game before try it, they're literally too incompetent to work the controller.

Good luck getting grandma to set up a sensor bar and actually aim at the fucking TV, and THEN press a button. Or multiple buttons holy shit
>>
>>338114546
Asymmetric gameplay is what Reggie called it. Fucking LOL.
>>
They probably shouldnt have gave it the name they did

I'm sure most parents went "Wii u? Didnt I buy that for you years ago?"
>>
Literally no way that they could have done that, as Wii was just a temporary fluke that attracted many normally not-gaming people as customers. The thing is that they really aren't customers that you can keep around for a long time, they just buy the console and have some fun with Wii Sports and that's more or less it.

But obviously even if they couldn't reach Wii levels with Wii U, they sure as hell could have had a much better run with it if they had named it differently and actually had a decent launch lineup. Honestly, I have hard time thinking about anything that they actually succeeded in with Wii U, it's truly a horrid blunder in a every way that could be instantly forgotten if it didn't have couple of really good exclusives (that came far too late to actually save the console) for it.
>>
No one cared for the Wii U when it was released. They were all focused on Xbox and Playstation.
>>
File: no.gif (2 MB, 316x228) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
2 MB, 316x228
>>338112720
If they didn't call it the "wii-u", it definitely would have sold more. I still love the console though, reminds me of how the dreamcast was. Funny to think that Nintendo is almost in the same predicament Sega was in.
>>
>>338114754
The fuck is that? Who the fuck is Reggie? Some kid from the commercials?
>>
Stop marketing to children.

>Wii commercials
>"Wii would like to play" as Nintendo literally brings the console to a wide array of all kinds of players who might never play videogames
>Becomes a smash hit with people who would never play videogames

>Wii U commercials
>Small children trying to convince mom and dad to buy a Wii U
>Console is seen as kiddy shit with underpowered graphics

Find me a Wii commercial that actually focused on children as cringe-worthily as Wii U advertising.
>>
>>338114729
There's nothing wrong with targeting people who don't play video games. They are a potentially huge source of untapped revenue.

But how would they ever migrate to other types of games if they are never exposed to a standard controller because it doesn't come in the box? Likewise, why would reliable game consumers want waggle shoehorned into every single game?

The solution to this would have been to just bundle the fucking Wii with the two types of controllers and make it an affordable system for the whole family. Mom with the waggle, junior with a regular controller.

I think that's what they were trying to do with Wii U, but they waited until a lot of their audience migrated to other things or lost interest.
>>
>>
>>338115075
This
None of their new commercials are even memorable

Hell I still remember that Twilight princess commercial for wii, with the Japanese yakuza type dudes playing the game with the remote like it was a word. Pretty funny
>>
>Have more than a couple multiplats at launch
>More than just Mario and Zombie U at launch
>More than just Mario, WWHD and Wonderful 101 on 2013
>Actual marketing
>A name that doesn't make people think it's more than just a tablet for the Wii
>Include Virtual console catalogue from Wii from day zero

I could keep including more rocket science, but given that the PS4 and XBone came out the year after and everyone from Bethesda to Ubisoft was bailing out/burning bridges, Nintendo would have been Gamecube'd regardless.
>>
>>338114291
Why didn't they go with Super Wii as a nod to the old nintendo consoles?
>>
>>338115382
At first, i though the Wii U was just some addon for the Wii. The actual Wii U console just looks like the Wii with a fucking U on it.
>>
>>338112720
Bundle it with a game that every normal fag wants to own and show to their friends.
>>
File: 1436985422536.jpg (68 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1436985422536.jpg
68 KB, 480x360
>>338115075
The only marketing campaign as cringey as it was the PS3 launch advertising, but even that was kind of neat.
The only wii u ad I remember was the one with the annoying kids showing their parents a slideshow presentation on why they should "upgrade" (fucking stupid term to use after the sega genesis) to the wii u.

It pisses me off because I actually really enjoy the console but Nintendo fucking abandoned it.
>>
>>338115678
>Bundle it with Arkham City
couldn't have been worse than Zombie U.
>>
>>338115678
This is what they did with Zombi u and ultimately failed
>>
The Wii U tablet is only sort of cool for a couple of minutes, until its pretty how the kinect ended up like.
>>
>>338113747
By going back in time and releasing the WiiU as the Wii
>>
File: Sadness_and_Despair.jpg (381 KB, 1166x783) Image search: [Google]
Sadness_and_Despair.jpg
381 KB, 1166x783
>>338115075
>NoA gets to do whatever its wants
>It does literal kiddy shit commercials
>NoE does whatever since each local distributor don't get good commercials from NoJ or NoA
>>
>>338115839
By just sort of playing it a couple times.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 294x171) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 294x171
The only Wii U ad i remember is with the once where that kid was launching the balloons or whatever the fuck it was, i didn't give a shit. The ads are either stupid or generic.
>>
>>338114514
Non-gamers are reliable customers though, who the fuck do you think is buying every yearly release of CoD, just dance and the like?
>>
>>338115904
I'm not sure having a slightly stronger machine than the PS3 and 360 using circa-2006 technology would have been that profitable, given how Sony and Microsoft ended up.
>>
File: 5278c65d3acbf-cod1.l.l.jpg (167 KB, 1260x818) Image search: [Google]
5278c65d3acbf-cod1.l.l.jpg
167 KB, 1260x818
>>338116168
People who buy Cod are just retards that think that the new game will be different even though it won't.
>>
>>338116357
And that's why they're reliable customers
>>
>>338116398
True...true...
>>
If the WiiU had launched with Bayo 2 and Tropical Freeze, even I would've bought it.

Sadly it went close to 2 years without a single 10/10 game, killing any and all hype the console had gained. It just looked like a weaker version of nogaems4.

Glad to see Nintendo learning from their mistakes and making sure the NX has something to show for it right away.
>>
Making a controller that didn't have you look down. Sure you swung the wii-mote, but at least you didn't focus your attention at the controller.

Games like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse have a great art design that looks beautiful in HD, of course you spend most of your time looking at the controller to guide Kirby, it almost seems pointless.
>>
File: b1CyY.jpg (182 KB, 508x346) Image search: [Google]
b1CyY.jpg
182 KB, 508x346
And little fags also...
>>
>>338116526
Inb4 Zelda wii u is the only worthwhile game it gets for months
>>
File: wii-u_o_459229.jpg (42 KB, 480x492) Image search: [Google]
wii-u_o_459229.jpg
42 KB, 480x492
Probably did happen at Nintendo inc.
>>
>>338116814
Currently it has a pretty good library so I don't see how that's an issue. If I had bought one I wouldn't be disappointed.

BUT WHY WOULD A BUY A CONSOLE WITH NO FUCKING GAMES
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 234x216
>>338116912
Is the Nintendo 3DS even bought or relevant anymore?
>>
>>338115816
>>338115832
I was talking about Wii Sports. The reason everyone and their grandma owned a Wii was because of Wii Sports.
>>
>>338117172
And Wii Resorts.
>>
They couldn't. Smartphones devoured that market whole.
>>
>>338117224
Portable consoles are dead, but Nintendo won't seem to accept it. Sony already has though.
>>
>>338117328
Just because the Vita tanked doesn't mean anything Nintendo shits out as a pokemone player will die
>>
File: 1366124994583.jpg (17 KB, 354x256) Image search: [Google]
1366124994583.jpg
17 KB, 354x256
How could they not have thought the general population would confuse it as a peripheral? Seriously, so many people did, and still do, think it's a controller and not a console.

And it's because it's named similarly to the Wii peripherals, because they all have "Wii" in front of them, such as Wii fit and Wii motion plus.

I understand they wanted to bank off of the Wii's name, but surely the guys in marketing would especially know how uninformed the general populace is about everything.
>>
the casual people that bought the Wiis moved on to Tablets and Kinect.

also the name made it look like it was a add-on rather than a different system. $400 for a Nintendo Tablet? pretty sure those people Nintendo was targeting,already had a tablet to begin with.

kinda sad that most of the WiiU R&D went to the gamepad. well,that's what they get for going for gimmicks.

same with XB1
most of the R&D went on Kinect 2 sensor.
which why the XB1 is underpowered if compared with the PS4 hardware.

Kinect was so fucking big on 360. MS thought they could just drop another one and make people pay $500 for it.

>Nintendo was trying to get the core crowd with the WiiU

it could barely run Batman AO....
>>
>>338115075

>NoJ commercial
>unique and fun
>NoA commercial
>"YOU'RE A KID NOW"
>>
Different Name

Touch pad is peripheral not a baseline gimmick (Wii suffered more for not shipping with a solid controller and the waggleshit)

Launch with a Zelda or Mario title that is truly E for Everyone, not E for Everyone Wins

Really though, they need to stop focusing on the gimmicks and focus on the gameplay, Smash 4 and Splatoon are great, but starfox zero suffered from the bad bad awful controls.

Also get rid of the fucking ads and bloatware, this also goes for the 3DS
>>
>>338117713
Marketing guys are the biggest retards, and they never play anything.
>>
>>338117774
>Kinect was so fucking big on 360
No, it wasn't
It's biggest titles like Kinect Sports could barely top Banjo Kazooie on the N64
>>
>>338117774
Didn't they discontinue kinects and kinect games?
>>
The name was their biggest problem, just what the fuck were they thinking?
I remember reading something that said parents just thought it was some expansion or upgrade to the already existing Wii.

They could've marketed it better too (which goes back to the name). Maybe if they had a new Zelda and Animal crossing or any other worthwhile games people would've went out to buy it.
>>
>>338112720
Murder Steve Jobs before he could invent the ipad.
Seriously, the timing was just terrible. By the time the wiiu came out tablets were already commonplace among normies, the target demographic for neo nintendo.
>>
>>338117910
yes
they're not making any more games for Kinect on 360 and XB1

>>338117905
the 360 kinect was huge hit with casuals.
MS sent 360s and Kinects to schools in America. it was featured in the Obama campaigns for kids getting active.

my sister and her friends bought her kids 360 + Kinect.
>>
>>338112720
give it a distinctive name, give it a 'killer app' to start with, and of course, advertise the shit out of it.
>>
They couldn't have. The Wii was a fluke.
>>
>>338114994
does this kid have a youtube channel or somethign?
>>
They couldn't have. The Wii was a meme console. Grannies bought it and did nothing with it. Why would they get another one?
>>
>>338114125
Pretty much this. At launch, ignorant normies were unaware of that fact.
>>
>>338112720
change that shitty name
make the tablet meme controller optional and drop the price

there I just saved the wii U
>>
They couldn't have. Casuals had already started moving to mobile, they were never going to buy a new console.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.