[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linear vs. Open world
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: fdsferh35trgfe.jpg (52 KB, 833x366) Image search: [Google]
fdsferh35trgfe.jpg
52 KB, 833x366
Which type of game is better?
>>
Depends
>>
>>338099081

Play mgsv
>>
Whatever best suits the game.
>>
Well-made open world>Well-made linear
But it's way harder to make a good open world game
>>
>>338099671
>>338100216
These.
>>
Linear is always better since it lets the creators make a deliberate experience they want you to see, a hand crafted experienec is always better than a randomly generated giant world with shit scattered around
>>
>>338100931
>open = randomly generated
Are you retarded?
>>
>>338101040
no but you are since thats what it is 90% of the time.
>>
>>338101104
>okay, they aren't the same thing, b-but you're wrong somehow
k
>>
>>338099081
open world,. because of Zelda and GTA
>>
I'm glad the open world meme is finally dying
>>
>>338099671
>>338100216
>>338100494
>>
I honestly prefer city builders
>>
Linear games with large hub worlds to explore, duh.
>>
File: image.gif (478 KB, 450x256) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
478 KB, 450x256
Depends on the genre and level design

Let's take the two ways of doing 3D Platforming

Super Mario 64 is built around exploring areas and finding what to do to get a star, and finding said Platforming areas

Compared to Super Mario 3D World, where it already has a bunch of obstacles set up for you with tons of gameplay elements and variety

Two different designs

Same genre

That can be used effectively in the right set up
>>
Where's the "middle of the road" option? Games like Deus Ex, Vampire Bloodlines, etc.
>>
>>338099081
Depends

A game being open-world is ambitious and most of the games have some kind of a major flaw.

Bethesda games, besides being generally empty and having a lot of copy-pasted assets/areas, usually have some part of the game's mechanics that's broken. In Oblivion it's using non-combat major skills, in Skyrim it's the smithing, and in all of the recent games, their biggest issue is diverting away from roleplaying for muh combat

The only arguably perfect open-world game is Morrowind, since it's the only one that I can think of that actually has exploration as part of the game. Morrowind quests are "Go down this road and take the second left then go kill the fucker in the first house on the right," where modern open world games just give you a waypoint to mindlessly follow. What's the point of having an open world if you're just going to be guided through it by arbitrary arrows?
>>
>>338101040
>Shenmue and GTA III are randomly generated games
The procedural generated meme didn't start until 3-4 years ago so stop being a retard
Open world =/= randomly generated

See:
Laterally almost every major open world release game since fucking forever.
>>
>>338102471
>>338101040
Sorry anon, meant to reply to this fucktard >>338100931
>>
>>338099081
Your logic is flawed OP

Metroidvania is neither linear nor open world, yet the concept is better than both.
>>
File: 1349357692192.jpg (92 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1349357692192.jpg
92 KB, 1000x1000
OP's logic = Resident Evil 2 is an open world game.
>>
Linear and open world are not fucking opposites. And a lack of a stage select does not qualify a game as an "open world". The world has to be OPEN for it to have an open world.
>>
>>338099081
If there's actually interesting stuff to do in an open world, then that, if not then it goes in the trash.

Probably the pinnacle of open worlds at the moment is arkham city.
>>
Metroidvania > Levels that can be solved in different ways > Premade Open World > Procedurally generated open world > Linear.

only exceptions are for races and platformers.
>>
>>338099081
I like an in-between of the two, like Fable, Mario 64, or Super Mario Sunshine.
>>
>>338103820
>only exceptions are for races and platformers
What about shmups and run and guns and rail shooters and the like?

And what the fuck are you doing putting procedural generation above anything?
>>
>>338104956
Are there even any open world shmups/run'n'guns/rail shooters are there even any open world ones ?

Linear games are same as a rollercoaster/film.
It might be interesting, engaging and moving but it is still less of a game than any game where you choose your gameplay style.
Procedural generation can be used to craft your own story and experience which i value more than a beatiful premade one.
>>
>>338105565
linear is ideal for fair challenges and scoring.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.