[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Rise and fall of Xbox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 22
File: xbox-one-logo.png (18 KB, 579x349) Image search: [Google]
xbox-one-logo.png
18 KB, 579x349
So, I'm sitting here trying to figure out how we got here.
With the Xbox brand I mean.

We're talking about America's venture into the console market. No small deal. Hell, if go into a gen 6 thread on /v/ or pretty much any other site, you'll see tons of people defending the original Xbox as one of the most underrated consoles of all time. Many now even claim it was the best console of gen 6, but that debate isn't the point of this post.
After the HEUG, you had the 360 which ushered in an era of Xbox domination over the market.

We could all point fingers at where things started to go wrong. But regardless of where we each think that is, does anyone here really think what they're trying to pull with this Windows 10 merger is smart?

If the recent screenshots and rumors are true, and they plan to release the majority of major 8th gen Xbox games on the Windows 10 store (Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive, etc.) then do they really think the Xbox brand has a place in the console market anymore?
It's not like people are going to stop using Steam and its infinitely larger library base, but I know people will stop valuing the Xbox consoles if they have nothing of value they can't get on Windows 10.

See, to me, the only reason they would pull this move is if they were trying to s l only kill of the Xbox console division, but that makes no sense because 1, they're selling fine, and 2, we know they have a new Xbox planned.

But what do you guys think?
Is this just sheer incompitence, or am I missing something here?

sorry about the blog. If I could get it any shorter I would
>>
Exclusives dont work that much

Your audience is simply multiplied by releasing for more platforms, but your benefits are also multiplied if you own those platforms

Thats literally it.

Microsoft is being clever, people on W10 and game on PC arent likely to own an Xbone anyway, the markets dont overlap.
>>
OP I think you underestimate how many people build or buy PCs for AAA gaming.

/v/ goes on and on about how if the game is on PC, it's worthless on console, but the majority doesn't see it that way.
They could release Halo 5 on PC right now and it wouldn't put a dent in the console sales.
>>
always online, drm, tv tv tv, forced kinect, games tied to the account
kill yoyrself crapgamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuBQ_V1ZP2Q
>>
>>338070991
If you were still saying $599 in 2009 about the PS3, im sorry you were just being a fucking idiot.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160517-120939.jpg (728 KB, 1395x1350) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160517-120939.jpg
728 KB, 1395x1350
>>338070758
Essentially this.
The age of exclusives is over.
It's been over for a while.
Ever since we got to a point where you didn't have to program and develop games from the ground up for specific consoles, it's been slowly bleeding out.

Everyone knows Sony is ahead by a lot this gen, but look at the top 25 most sold PS4 games (pic related). Not a SINGLE exclusive. Not one.

/v/ is not the majority. Most kids don't care about exclusives. It's that simple.
>>
>>338070758
So are you saying that if every game that was ported from X to PC stayed on Xbone exclusively that the sales numbers wouldn't increase? If you are saying that I disagree.
>>
>Play PC game
>Online is dead in 2 months

I'm so fucking tired of this shit. This is why I swapped to Xbox. I literally only play singleplayer toaster games I can't play on my X1 at this point. Everything else I play on console.
>>
I have no idea how it didn't die with the Xbox 360 after MS entered the 6th gen late and then was the first to leave.
>>
>>338071183
I am saying that.
Exclusives only matter to listwar and console war people, as soon as KI hit Windows 10 it went from being a mild success to pretty damn successful and well liked because of word-of-mouth

Meanwhile something like Sunset Overdrive, which is a great game, will get disrespected purely because:
1.Most people can't play it
2.Most people can't play it
>>
File: 1451873699450.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1451873699450.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>Fall

If Xbox fell then Nintendo is six feet under.

Anyways, main reason is they fugged up with xbone reveal and early plans and Sony took huge advantage of that because after 2006, they wanted to make sure that PS3 reveal disaster never happened to them again.
>>
>>338071327
>Online is dead in 2 months

But all these W10 games are going to connect to the xbox playerbase
>>
>>338071176
Thank god TLoU and Uncharted aren't exclusives anymore.
>>
>>338071637

They are merging X1 and W10 store, it might be cool. I might consider building a new PC down the road if they let me play my X1 games on PC also.
>>
Have you seen how bone games perform on win10?

Yeah, it has a place, it's a 200€ or less if refurbished game machine.
>>
>>338070548
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJqliVWSSg
>>
>>338071556
The overwhelming majority of people never cared about or understood the always online fiasco.

Sony got a lead because they were $100 cheaper.
>>
>>338071538
So what sells a console if not the exclusive titles? Xbone had some until they decided they didn't need them and now look at the Xbone. I am more concerned about the Xbone as it needs all the help it can get, PC doesn't need help, Windows doesn't need help, it's the Xbox Brand that needs the help but MS isn't helping it by releasing every exclusive on the PC, it's a retarded move if you care about the console and want it to sell.
>>
File: gWSXQAL.gif (215 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
gWSXQAL.gif
215 KB, 800x450
>exclusives dont matter!

they do but no1 wants to buy an x1 cause of early 2013 and fears of where they will head

no1 wants to buy a wii u after how stagnant nintendo let the wii 2006 become later down the road

exclusives do matter, but are part of the package.
>>
>>338071909

Actually kinect could make xbox and pc shine like they never did, thank occulus and vive for this.
>>
>>338072051
>What s3lls a console if not exclusives
Word of mouth and price.

Exclusives are largely a non-fictor

You dont actually think people are buying PS4s for the Bloodborne? Right?
>>
>>338071940
That played a part, but the gap between xbone and PS4 is much bigger than the one between PS3 and 360, and that wasnt just because of the price.
>>
>>338072051
M A R K E T I N G

people are buying PS4's for FIFA and Black Ops, not Bloodborne

The last 'killer app' was Wii Sports
>>
>>338072506
FIFA is market with Xbox
>>
File: 1452017016544.png (85 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452017016544.png
85 KB, 200x200
>Xbox as a division has never turned a profit in all its time flooding the market with cancer and underage-pandering bullshit
>>
>>338071091
tv tv tv
>>
>>338070548
What the fuck is it with you people.

First it's:
>WHAT THE FUCK PC NEVER EVER GETTING FORZA OR HALO OR WHATEVER

Now it's:
>WHAT THE FUCK PC IS GETTING FORZA AND QUANTUM BREAK WHY ARE YOU KILLING THE BRAND MICROSOFT

Isn't more games on PC a good thing?
>>
Xbone games being on Win10 isn't meant to be "transferring all their things to PC"

It's migrating EVERYTHING under Win10, Xbox, PC, Tablets etc.

All it does is increase the player base, it's fine
>>
>>338070548
Xbox360 never dominated and Xbox had so many more better games than the 360. Infact, the 360 marked the end of Japanese support and segas influence which real was the only reason why Xbox was ever good. I mean Microsoft engineers are such shit they needed Sega to make their controller
>>
>>338072416
Price is over 80% of it.
Most console purchases are made by parents.
They see one for $100 less. It's that simple.

All it takes is for one to get out ahead a bit then all the kids start asking for one because that's what their friends have
You think Spencer asking Sony for cross play was a gesture? It was an attempt to deny Sony this advantage.

Marketing also plays a roll, and Sony has dominated at this. After every multiplat commercial, I see a PS4 logo and chime. That shit gets in people's heads subliminally.
>>
>>338072694
I've tried saying this

Win10=an ecosystem of devices

Some people think Microsoft is running off to PC only, when they are making a stupidly massive power play here
>>
File: KdRAGvh.png (35 KB, 1234x815) Image search: [Google]
KdRAGvh.png
35 KB, 1234x815
>>338072602
>Never turned a profit
>>
>>338072602
Are you seriously attempting to disparage Microsoft on financial grounds?

Seriously?
>>
the early years of the 360 were pretty damn good, then they went full retard with the kinect and stopped making new exclusives besides halo gears forza fable.

That's when i switched to ps3 and after that the ps4.

I'm really hoping that atleast nintendo gets its shit together with the nx because the ps4 is quite lackluster up to this point.

I do however play multiplats on consoles so atleast that's okay on ps4.
>>
>>338072369
Bloodborne
Uncharted
God of War
Little Big Planet
Team Ico shit
Kojima's shit
JRPGs
pretty much any japanese shit because japs are partial to Sony because japan.

Nintendo:
Mario
Zelda
Pikmin
Bayonetta
Smash
Metroid lol
Nintendo franchises like always

Microsoft
Halo
Gears of War - also on PC
Forza - also on PC
Dead Rising 3 - also on PC
Ryse - also on PC
Killer Instinct - also on PC
Rise of Tomb Raider - also on PC
Max Curse of Brotherhood - also on PC
Cuphead - also on PC
all future titles - also on PC

See the difference? Only reason the Wii U is behind is because Nintendo are fucking retards.
>>
There aren't even 5 good games across all the xbox consoles, and MS is responsible for practically every shitty gameplay trend and business practice that currently plagues video games. Let it burn for all I care. America in general should fuck off from video games
>>
>>338073208
THE PC AUDIENCE

IS NOT THE SAME

AS THE CONSOLE AUDIENCE

/V/ IS A MINORITY
>>
>>338073208
problem with microsofts exclusives is that they are mostly in crowded genres
>>
>>338070548
Arguibly if the dreamcast didn't fail there's a good chance the brand would of never of took off. We all know Microsoft had a hard time developing the system. Certainly would lack it's best titles and Japanese influence
>>
>muh xclusives

I can safely tell you these do not sell consoles anymore outside of enthusiasts
>>
>>338073345
Why are PC gamers always begging for console ports anon?
>>
Ironically, M$ could gain some ground with Sony because of this.

Exclusives are not worth the investment, but console exclusives (also on PC) are.
Sony has been more than willing to do this (Guilty Gear, No Man's Sky, SFV, Shenmue, etc.) but Sony doesn't own steam. Meanwhile M$ is using their own platform.

>>338073215
(YOU)

>>338073208
See >>338071176
People are not buying PS4s for those games. Facts are facts.
Also nice job listing multiplats and labeling them as PS4 games. Let's try to keep the console wars out of this
>>
>>338073461
Ok, so let's say there were no exclusives, everything was ported to everything, what console would live?
>>
>>338073461
And that still doesn't mean shit

Halo still sold Xboxs even when it was clearly on PC

People still just want consoles, if people immediately gravitated to the PC release then things like FIFA and The Division would sell much better on Steam
>>
>>338073095
I said the Xbox division, not Microsoft. Learn to fucking read.

>Over its lifetime, the business segment containing the Xbox is down more than $5.5 billion -- not including the cost of acquisitions such as the 2002 purchase game developer Rare, which cost more than $300 million.

Sit down, faggot.
>>
>>338073564
MS tried this with titanfall
>>
>>338073462
You spend too much time on /v/.
The average PC gamer runs a potato that can't play most AAA games well at all and they mainly play Gary's Mod, MOBAs, TF2, and minecraft
>>
>>338073564
>Also nice job listing multiplats and labeling them as PS4 games. Let's try to keep the console wars out of this
What games did I list on PS4 that were multi?
>>
>>338073596
PS4 and Xbox would still be alive
The core audience can be influenced by exclusives, most people just want whatever plays FIFA and cod
>>
>>338073629
>Halo still sold Xboxs even when it was clearly on PC
That was 13 years ago anon.
Times have objectively changed.
Also Halo wasn't on PC until it had been on Xbox for a few years. But again, times have changed.
>>
>>338073208
What the fuck is Max Curse of Brotherhood

also >Rise of the Tomb Raider
a game which bombed because it was Xbone exclusive
>>
>>338071176
Uncharted and TLoU are PS4 exclusive, right?
>>
>>338070548
I wish Xbox never existed now there are going to abe annoying shits acting like it was their generations dreamcast which wasn't even that fucking good.

Also you can thank Microsoft for killing any American console company like they did to a lot of other companies with other works.
>>
there are 3 dominating factors:

1. the disastrous xbox one reveal, and the awful handling and pr surrounding it
2. It doesn't have a fanbase who started around the ps1/n64 era, who are arguably the most autistic of all the fanbases, and dominate discussion on the internet, swaying trends etc.
3. Xbox is just kind of shit, honestly, it doesn't have a wide variety of exclusives, none of them seem very special, and half of them are on pc, the games that it has bought out this generation have been disappointing asides from racing games. It doesn't have the more powerful console marketing like ps4 or the wider selection of exclusives like wii u
>>
>>338073654
>>>338073095 (You)
>I said the Xbox division, not Microsoft. Learn to fucking read.
>>Over its lifetime, the business segment containing the Xbox is down more than $5.5 billion -- not including the cost of acquisitions such as the 2002 purchase game developer Rare, which cost more than $300 million.
>Sit down, faggot.

it's MICROSOFT you blithering little shit
They could keep losing billions and piss it away and they'd still be laughing

Unlike Sony and Nintendo which NEEDS the money
>>
>>338073859
Nope. They're on PS3, and cheaper too.
Uncharted is also better on PS3. There's no multi on PS4.
>>
>>338073890
This is what Sonyggers actually beleive.

It's all price and marketing m8.
>>
>>338073907
Profitability or lack thereof in one sector of a business draws attention. Microsoft just today sold their feature phone division to another company. If Xbox continues to not make money for shareholders, they'll eventually sell it off. That's how business works. Sorry you're retarded.
>>
Xbox and PS4 are so fucking interchangeable

When Xbox is winning, Sony is doomed, when Sony is winning, Xbox is doomed

All of you are just console war businessmen
>>
>>338073834
Did it bomb because people didn't want Xbone and refused or did it bomb because they knew the exclusivity was bullshit and PC would get it in a few months and PS4 the next year? It was pretty much outed as a timed exclusive hours after the announcement.
>>
>>338074095
It didn't even bomb, it sold well over a couple of million

If that's a bomb, then Bloodborne is a bomb
>>
>>338073890
This post is an example of someone th a time spends too much time online.

The internet and sites like /v/ are a minority hivemind opinion on consoles and their worth. The overwhelming majority of console gamers don't care about exclusives, which console is "more powerful", and how a console is reveled.
>>
>>338074039
This

It's why 360 absolutely shitslapped the Ps3 early on, and how PS3 caught up
>>
>>338073208
>Rise of Tomb Raider - also on PC - coming to PS4 late 2016
FTFY
>>
>>338074201
>it sold well over a couple of million
Only after it released on PC. The Xbone sales were abysmal since it had to release against Fallout 4.
>>
>>338074313
Sony never even did catch up.
They had to fudge their sales figures by only reporting units shipped to warehouses and then also combined those numbers with PS2 and PSP sales.

We will never truely know how many PS3s were bought.
>>
Guys

Guys

Seriously, no one gives a shit about exclusives. The PS4 just benefited from price and marketing like others said, plus BLURAY and Netflix. Not to mention it has slightly better hardware and looked better to people walking through Best Buy
>>
>>338074504
Nope, it sold a million on Xbone
>>
>>338074504
IT sold over a million copies on Xbone actually.
>>
>>338073208
You mean also on Windows 10

Which is what the Xbone is, a Windows 10 device

Microsoft could not give a shit where you are buying the game, as long as you get it, they win
>>
>>338074574
>looked better to people walking through Best Buy
This is the reason I bought a white ps4, love the monolithic look of it.
>>
Exclusives don't matter.

They haven't mattered for some time now.

Oh they matter for /v/, sure.
But for the masses, they're a non factor.

I guarantee the top 10 best selling PS4 games are all available on other platforms.
>>
>>338074593
If your source is that PR statement put out by Microsoft then you are having a fucking laugh. You'll understand that I not take you seriously at all.
>>
>>338070548
The average PC users doesn't want to buy a console.
The average console owner doesn't want to build a PC.

That's how the Xbox brand will survive. Titally different userbases, sharing some games. Look at the PS4 too, some of the so called "exclusives" are on PC too, like SFV. But who owns a PS4 would hardly play on PC and viceversa.
>>
>>338074924
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/685616464229838850?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>>
>>338074924
The Xbox brand will survive on retards who pay for Gold, pure and simple. That's straight profit for them while not having to provide much at all.
>>
>>338075045
This.
Same for PS4 tho.
>>
>>338074874
Are you that guy on neogaf who had a shitfit trying to claim they lied? Lol
>>
>>338075097
Now that Sony forces people into PS+ yeah of course. Shame because PSN is straight-up trash.
>>
>>338074924
This

People bought an Xbox for KOTOR, some even for Morrowind

PC is getting bigger sure, so is the console audience
>>
>>338075160
I'm sorry you go to NeoFAG and know their drama but again, if you have something other than some corporate PR drivel to prove yourself let me know.
>>
What will be /v/'s reaction when MCC is on Windows 10, you will have to play it with a controller
>>
File: Screenshot_20160419-083540.jpg (450 KB, 1069x1831) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160419-083540.jpg
450 KB, 1069x1831
>>338075364
I'm honest ok with that because mouse control breaks Halo.
It's probably the only FPS I know that controls better with a pad.

I mean, by "better" I mean the game works with it. Obviously it's easier with a mouse, but the game is designed around lining up shots. Simply pointing and clicking takes that away.
I'm no stranger to Halo on PC btw.
>>
>>338075575
This.
Halo Online was terrible even once it was hacked to be more like Halo 3 because it was just point and click. No challenge at all.
>>
>>338075017
I don't even know what are you trying to imply. Shenmue 3 is coming to PC just like DQ Heroes and FFX HD, the once called Playstation "exclusives".
>>
What is the best thing one can do to keep cancerous bias from creeping in and effecting one's views when it comes to games
>>
Price point and mindshare, all that has mattered since 2008

Microsoft and Sony can easily get both, only brand loyalists try to argue otherwise

It's true you can enjoy one company's offerings more than another, but there's no inherent "skill" advantage one of them has
>>
>>338075895
>What is the best thing one can do to keep cancerous bias from creeping in and effecting one's views when it comes to games
Going full idort
>>
>>338075329
How the fuck is it "drivel"

They clearly said it sold over a million

They can't just outright lie about such a specific statement
>lol companies lie all the time

Yes they're deceptive, but if they sold it sold over a million on Xbone, it did. It's such a blunt unavoidable statement
>>
>>338075895
Buy all 3 consoles and build a PC.
Assimilate.
Become idort.
>>
File: Viva-Pinata.jpg (520 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Viva-Pinata.jpg
520 KB, 1280x720
It's a real shame there aren't more games like Viva Pinata. I'd argue it's the closest thing to "perfect" a game can get, the only fault being repetition which can be mitigated with taking a break for other games in between sessions.
>>
>>338075895
Ironically, don't listen to Sony or Neogaf

Stay away from biased people

PC people have a sort of bias, but not all the time
Xbox and Nintendo fans have preferences, but they won't thrust it in your face all the time
>>
>>338075895
Think with your own brain. Read a lot of different point of views. Understand the difference between shitposting and discussing.

There's no need to waste money in buying all platforms.
>>
File: 1426514581972.jpg (148 KB, 945x630) Image search: [Google]
1426514581972.jpg
148 KB, 945x630
>>338076262
>Nintendo fans
>won't thrust it in your face
wew lad
>>
>>338075895
Literally play everything, or as close to everything as you can get.

You really start to understand just how good games are on average, and can be far more receptive to missteps be developers/publishers.
>>
>>338070548
Now this is a quality OP.

Personally, I believe that Microsoft is aware of the impending dominance of the PC market, so they're attempting to slowly merge their player base into that of the PC. In this scenario, they will help secure the longevity of their brand even if the appeal of consoles begins to fail. They'll definitely focus on building up their own store to compete with the likes of Steam and Origin.

Honestly, what else could they really do after this failure of a console? Sure, it's selling, but they're far behind the curve.
>>
>>338076734
It's objectively selling well, just not as good as the PS4
>>
>>338076734
What remains to be seen is if this is the direction for the future of Xbox or just Xbox One.
We know the new consoles are coming.
>>
>>338075895
Play everything.
This can be hard as an adult, but play as much as you can on all devices.

You'll appreciate what is truely good.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>338076262
>Nintendo fans have preferences, but they won't thrust it in your face all the time
>>
File: 1312235964989.png (521 KB, 750x786) Image search: [Google]
1312235964989.png
521 KB, 750x786
>>338070548
the 360 was a low-quality system with the worst console failure rate of all time. that might have been okay, except now we have a little thing called the internet reminding everyone how fucking shitty it is.

so you go from there, and you need to instill faith in your userbase that the next system will be tailored for gamers, and not for corporate profits. naturally, the best way to go about this is to announce that a camera will spy on you and all games need to be registered more securely than most firearms.

back in the magazine days they could have issued retractions and prevented that from hitting potential customers ears, but again, internet. so now everybody knows that you still don't give a fuck about gamers and this new system is going to fuck us over even harder than the last one.

tl;dr internet killed xbone
>>
>>338077365
>>338076579
Same could be said about PC users but compared to the sony fanbase, both PC and Nintendo users are tame as fuck. Sorry this enrages you.
>>
>>338077095
I would imagine they'd stick with this. Sony is trying to do the same thing with crossplay so this should be interesting. Maybe we'll actually see cross platform play in our lifetime.
>>
>>338070548

3rd generation is always cursed to fuck up some how. Remeber how PS3 was suppose to spell the end for Sony?
>>
File: MM IMAGE 3.jpg (139 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
MM IMAGE 3.jpg
139 KB, 540x304
>>338077530
>compared to the sony fanbase, both PC and Nintendo users are tame as fuck.
>>
The original Xbox actually had some really fucking good games on it.

360 pandered to the dudebro crowd and was exceedingly cheaper than the PS3, not to mention when Gears of War was released it had mindblowing graphics that no PC could even compare to for the price.

Overall, the Xbox had a good run until the bone came out.
>>
>>338077838
This, theyre not the things that end them, but they hurt, hard

Nintendo blundered with the N64
Sony blundered with the PS3
Its only appropriate that Microsoft fucks up the Xbone

Every single one of these consoles is always notorious for fucking up but eventually redeems themself somehow at some point, I think Phil Spencer is doing that for Xbone
>>
>>338077742
that was already a thing thirteen years ago with FF 11 you dingus
>>
>>338077528
>tl;dr internet killed xbone
Nope.
Most people don't give a shit about that.
Sounds like you browse/v/ too much.

It's all price, marketing, and playerbase.
>>
>>338078624
This

A single Microsoft win and a single Sony fuck-up is all it takes.

Most people arent brand loyal to either
>>
Wait, people actually think exclusives matter?
This isn't the 90s anymore.
>>
>>338070758
Pretty much this, the Xbox 360 was better than the PS3 because it ran multiplatforms better 95% of the time.

Microsoft should have focused exclusively on having the best possible hardware at the lowest price. Kinect was a huge mistake and they paid dearly for it.
>>
>>338079270
They should matter but they don't. The Bone and PS4 share almost the same library and are very close power-wise (there is a difference but it's not that big). One would say purchasing a Bone over a PS4 is a matter of exclusives but unfortunately it's not like that.
>>
All I want is a Skate game on the Backwards Compatibility program.

When?! It's been teased for 6 months.
>>
>>338078624
yeah and when you fuck your playerbase, they go somewhere else. which they did.

>>338079270
people bought the technically inferior 3DS by the boatload over the Vita, and it sure as hell wasn't because of the marketing

gotta get that fuckin new leaf nigga
>>
>>338079998
I bet Lost Odyssey will get b/c first you kek
>>
>>338081842
Over the Vita, yeah. But sales are down compared to last gen handhelds. People don't care as much for these things as they used before.
>>
>>338070548
Yes, because after e3 2013, Xbox is dead. Might as well just make a Windows 10 prebuilt next gen
>>
>>338082173
Xbox One is outselling the 360 to date.
it's hardly "dead".

Maybe it should be.
Maybe it deserves to be.
But it's nowhere near it.
>>
>>338082173
>xbox is dead

it really really really isnt
>>
>>338082282
Gaming in 2016 ain't gaming in 2006
>>
>>338082173
They're already planing to do that. It still of course going to be called Xbox.

The brand is still pretty popular. You guys are out of your mind if you think they will drop a 15 years old brand that took so much ground in the console market like this.
>>
>>338082173
>Windows 10 prebuilt

What do you think the Xbone is?
>>
>>338082115
less people care about handhelds because they've got phones

people who do care about handhelds are clearly swayed by exclusives though
>>
>>338082435
>ain't
only niggers are allowed to use that word. And germans in 1988.
>>
>>338070548
>America's venture into the console market
Did you mean to start an Atari thread?
>>
File: console sales may 07 2016.png (15 KB, 320x319) Image search: [Google]
console sales may 07 2016.png
15 KB, 320x319
>>338082434
>>338082282
>>338082553

Xbone only sells around 24k more units weekly than the PS Vita. Think about that for a second. THE PS VITA.
>>
>>338073907
Investors aren't in it for charity.
Yes they will accept short-term losses in return for long-term profits, but if it goes on long enough with no profits they will cut their losses and run.
>>
>>338070548

They're looking for a smooth transition away from selling consoles. If they can get away from the terrible console business model but keep the xbox brand name as something strong that's what they want.

I don't think it's going to pan out, but I wouldn't expect any exclusives going forward, 0, including Halo and Gears.
>>
>>338082959
>Japan
>Vita doesn't sell ANY software and completely flounders in any market outside of chinkland
>Vita costs 200 euros less
>Vgchartz
>>
>>338078392
That didn't connect Xbox and Playstation, did it?
>>
>>338082959
So after the leading console in the market and the leading handheld in the market, it is the nest best seller.

So yeah, it's nowhere near dead.
>>
File: Scam.png (903 KB, 1200x652) Image search: [Google]
Scam.png
903 KB, 1200x652
>>338070548
I don't know about anything else, but pic related fucked up the brand so much and destroyed lots of people's confidence in the Xbox.
>>
>>338070548
Sony and MS can win console wars by having market shares in other industries, which makes it easier for them to suffer a non-starter console gen in ways that Nintendo can't and Sega didn't

I don't see Win10 unification as a pull-out of console ... it's probably more pointing toward creating an advantage that Sony doesn't have with OS of their own, plus allowing them to copy Steam Machine for idea.
>>
>>338083657
playstation 2 and PC
>>
>>338083916
I meant between brands, dingus. We even have cross platform online games right now.
>>
>>338070548

There is literally no good reason to own an Xbone. There is a cheaper alternative, which is also superior technology. Most games are on both platforms, the alternative has many superior exclusives and the Xbones own exclusives are all pretty bad to be honest.

Ignoring all console war bullshit, why is anyone going to buy a console that is more expensive, has less games, has less good games and the games it does have run worse on it?
There is no logical reason. None.
>>
>>338084045
Cheaper PCs that can outperform the Xbone?
>>
>>338083757
It's a shame because now the MCC works really well.
I play in big parties of 12-16 constantly.
Reliving the Halo 2 and Halo 3 days is great.
>>
>>338084045
>There is literally no good reason to own an Xbone.
Idort here.
This is objectively false.
I bet you own a PS4 as your only 8th gen console.
Neither is that much better than the other that it can be objectively considered "better"
>>
>>338083593
>>Vita doesn't sell ANY software
Actually it has one of the best attach rates of a modern console because the crazed otaku buy every tig bitty or tittle litty game that comes out
>>
>>338084045
As someone that owns all 3 consoles, your post is cancerous console war bait and couldn't be more false.

2/10 I replied
>>
>>338083718
2nd place ain't good when third place is WII fucking U
>>
>>338084356
now that they've gotten past Mattrick's level of stupid, if they hadn't learned that people don't want their consoles turned to bricks without constant net-checking to see if it's updated and 'official' every day, it mostly comes down to what your friends are playing and which account between the two has more games you'd want to play on it in terms of exclusives
>>
File: bloodbornecucks.jpg (193 KB, 708x955) Image search: [Google]
bloodbornecucks.jpg
193 KB, 708x955
>>338084356
PS4 has the one gen 8 game released so far though.
>>
>>338084513
Attach rates mean shit. The Xbox 360 at one point had the best attach rates too.
>>
>>338084519
>>338084356

I own an Xbone and a PS4. Purchasing the Xbone was the biggest regret I have when it comes to video games.

It was the most expensive console I've ever bought.
I've played it the least of any console I've ever owned.
Of the few games I do own for it, I've not particularly enjoyed any of them a great deal.
Of every console I've ever owned, it's the only one I've considered selling. I see no reason to continue owning it, and feel like I would miss nothing by not owning it anymore.

The Xbone is the worst console I have ever owned.
>>
>>338084739
They mean a lot to software selling cucks
>>
>>338084712
SHIT. So it was thanks to Bloodborne we got shitty grandma panties instead of actual panties like in the other DS games.
>>
>>338084712
Disgaea 5 too
>>
>>338084847
Yeah, explains all those big releases on that console. lol

Not even Sony supports the console anymore you dumb brick.
>>
>>338070548
Don Mattrick happened, and they took way to long to remove him

At this point in this console lifespan, it's already over. So many people have ps4s so other people who don't have either are more likely to get the console their friends have - which is most likely a ps4.

Microsoft just needs to make up their losses for this gen, and who even knows what the next console gen is going to look like. Consoles as they are cannot keep up with technology these days
>>
>>338084828
Huh, I own both consoles and payed less for the X1 and get more use out of it than the PS4. Far more actually.

To each his own I guess.
>>
>>338084828
This.
>>
File: 51078595.jpg (301 KB, 1023x1014) Image search: [Google]
51078595.jpg
301 KB, 1023x1014
>>338084828
>Please pay attention to me! Look at this totally non biased anecdotal evidence I bestow upon you my friends!
Ok. Here's a dollar.
>>
>>338085006
Who said anything about big releases? We talkin about catering to the otaku market. For them Bloopy Loopy Trillion and Neptunia are big releases. The issue here is that Vita is only 24k weekly behind XBONE which spells poor performance for Xbone
>>
>>338085006
>the big releases on the console
Except no one mentioned that?
>sony stopped supporting it
Where? I don't see it discontinued.
>>
>>338085147

>anecdotal evidence

Do you even know what those words mean? Because from the sounds of it, you don't.
>>
File: 1460953826142.png (1022 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1460953826142.png
1022 KB, 1024x768
>>338070548
It's really just a tale of who failed harder. The PS3 had a bad launch while the 360 had a mediocre one, so mediocrity won over shit.

Then PS3 started to do better and the 360 continued to be mediocre, and in the end it was nearly a tie.

Then The Bone shit the bed while the PS4 basically did nothing and won fore free. Instead of trying to catch up, Microsoft takes away the last bit of dignity of the Bone and essentially renders the fucking thing pointless. Yea, they got rid of a lot of the NSA shit, but the damage is way too severe at this point.
>>
>>338085175
I was talking about it because the console has zero support. Sony doesn't support it anymore. It's dead, running on fumes if anything because Japanese are still buying it.
>24k
Yeah, using those unreliable numbers from Shitcharts on a slow month for everyone. Talk to me back on a Holyday season when the Xbone manages to pull 1+M systems in the US alone and the Vita sells 100k WW.
>>
File: 1440353520414.png (61 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1440353520414.png
61 KB, 200x200
>>338085263
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/23/sony-confirms-its-stopped-first-party-vita-development

Gravity Rush 2 was a Vita exclusive before they decided to say fuck it and move it to the PS4.
>>
>>338085272
More like you don't know because you're expecting me to give a fuck about your personal experiences (which might be fake, who knows) with your Xbox console.
>>
>>338085467
I know it has support though as I've followed its games to see if I want to buy it because I play some weebshit. The thing is, the support just isn't first party anymore. But if you like weebshit, I can see how Vita is a good buy
>>
>>338070548
You know what OP? Thanks for making /v/ a little less shitty today.

A thread actually worth having. Kudos.
>>
>America's venture into consoles
Atari was/is American.
Just wanted to point that out.

>tldr Microsoft is about as incompetent as Nintendo and is barely relevant in gaming nowadays
>>
>>338086117
If you like weebshit, you should probably just stick with Nintendo. You don't even get Monster Hunter on the Vita. Just shitty knock offs... that are going to be ported to the PS4.
>>
>>338086375
>Europe ventures into consoles
Just wanted to point out, Pewdiepie is European.
>>
A lot of people were disappointed with the 360 and how you had to pay for gold to use features that were free on nintendo and playstation.
It's already enough of a pain in the ass paying for DLC and what not. Xbox was basically No Poor People Allowed: the console.
Add on to that the RROD forcing people to buy 2 or even 4 new consoles.
And the fact that people are tired of Halo and Gears was never enough of a draw to bring most people in.

I'm glad Micro$oft is dying.
Fuck them and their intrusive software that "kind of" works.
>>
>>338070548
pc is not a factor because they are too confusing for console tards. you need a rocket science degree to install windows
>>
>>338070548
inb4 windows live 2.0 and they again try to make PC players pay for online play.

Seriously if there's anything that proves the stupidity of consoletards it's that they're willing to pay a fee for what is most often peer 2 peer connections.
>>
File: 1462741704627.jpg (11 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
1462741704627.jpg
11 KB, 210x240
>>338086746
>'m glad Micro$oft is dying.
Can't wait. I hope Apple goes next.
>>
>>338070548
I think Sony just dominates as always in Japan and Europe. I live in east Europe and nobody knows about Xbox but everyone knows what a Playstation is. Xbox is only relevant in USA and if Sony can get their hands on the american market xbox is fucked.
>>
>>338085281
You're pretty spot on until the end.
At this point I'd recommend the X1 over the PS4
>>
This has very little to do with sony.
Why are people suddenly bringing up sony?
>>
File: 1439318938560.jpg (1020 KB, 2616x2626) Image search: [Google]
1439318938560.jpg
1020 KB, 2616x2626
Someone from my work bought a Xbone to play elderscrolls online.

I could barely contain myself.
In reality he is doing what he want and is happy enough, so fuck me.
>>
>>338087730
This was a bait thread from the start. The only reason it's up it's because mods are bias against the Xbox too.
>>
I honestly enjoy my x1 more than my PS4 at this point.

But yeah, depending on how the unification goes, I may rethink getting the next Xbox console if everything is on Windows 10.

That being said, this won't change anything for the masses. People don't buy consoles for the exclusives.
>>
File: 1440641350152.gif (295 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
1440641350152.gif
295 KB, 700x704
In my book sony is barely any better than microsoft, they have fucked me in the past with their products, I just remember my RROD and the E3 shit a ton more because it was semi recent.

My ps2 was a complete POS though, slim was amazing.
>>
>>338070548
The root of the problem was the second half of the last gen: Microdick decided to rest on its laurels and basically abandon the console to third parties and produce a few shitty games in its main franchises like Gears Judgement and Gaylo 4, while the PS3 got The Last of Us and games like Journey which got free shilling across the internet. Additionally, the 360 got a cheap image because of the RROD and no bluray. Lots of people picked up a PS3 near the end of the gen because why not? A PS3 and used games were relatively cheap.

I don't know any """"real gamers"""" who liked the Kinect at all, so being forced to buy the shitty peripheral for an extra hundred bucks was a slap in the face. The lack of strong exclusive franchises freed users from brand loyalty, especially since they'd already been interested in Playstation.

Finally, the used game debacle and always online pissed everyone right the fuck off, even though Sony had been planning much the same thing but hadn't announced it yet.

The PS4 has solidified its lead by being cheaper, having better specs and aestetics, and of course having better exclusive games, like Bloodborne, The Order (at least the PS4 has a unique, new IP walking sim), Until Dawn (for the Heavy Rain consumers), and lots of high profile indies (No Man's Sky).

Xboner games on Windows 10 doesn't hurt the brand except amongst memers. This poster is correct >>338074924
>>
>>338072051
Console buyers are usually technically illiterate people who just want the convenience of having a $200-$300 machine in their living room to play games. And now that consoles are connected to the internet and have more media features that are better than any "smart" TV, that's also a selling point for a lot of people.

Microsoft had a bad start this generation because they were too expensive compared to the PS4, so for people who just want a console to play Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc and a few, mostly multiplat AAA, games the PS4 was a better value for them.
>>
>>338088591
Mostly what this guy says, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, it's still the most accurate and comprehensive post in the thread.

/v/ will meme about the X1 becoming an also on PC machine, but it won't really effect sales or anything.

Now for the real question: how does Xbox make up ground and win or rival Sony in sales for next gen?
>>
>>338070548
Did it ever rise?
>>
>>338088938
>how does Xbox make up ground and win or rival Sony in sales for next gen?
The same way they did it with the 360.
Release the next Xbox a year before the competition and make sure it's cheaper.

>>338088972
Like it or not, the 360 was for most people the console to own in gen 6. The Wii sold more but nobody was really playing it outside of Nintendo enthusiasts after the hype wore off.
Sony made ground towards the end of the generation but they were notorious for fudging the sales numbers so we will never know how legit their comeback was, and regardless, they never managed to recapture the US, which is the dominant market for the industry.

The PS4 has regained the market from the early 2000s for Sony. Microsoft can't take it back this gen. They need to focus on next gen.
>>
>>338074924
Console gamers don't want to build a PC, but I'm pretty sure a lot of console gamers would be open to buying like a gaming laptop or pre built machine.
>>
>>338089494
Most people buy a single gaming device, so I doubt they could be convinced to buy a second, significantly more expensive, less socially acceptable multiplat machine.
>>
>>338088938
>how does Xbox make up ground and win or rival Sony in sales for next gen?
A killer app, a console revolution, aka VR or AR. Maybe the Hololens will be good?
>>
>>338070548

That's such a stupid opinion and if you through some miracle have the mental capacity to think of anything other than how best to eat shit you should feel bad about yourself. It serves no purpose and does absolutely nothing in advancing the thread at all. Your attempt at being clever mirrors your life as a whole in that it utterly fails and will only be viewed with a mix of pity and contempt.

Next time you go to post; next time you go to solve the captcha after rolling your face on the keyboard, do everyone a favor and spare us the displeasure at being subjected to that garbage you call an opinion.

Unless you're contributing to the thread never respond to me again
>>
>>338089721
Well they wouldn't buy two at once, but they might decide to sell their console or just give up on consoles and not buy the next generation one and get a better laptop instead. Lower and mid range hardware is getting viable for PC gaming. Especially if they just play CSGO/DOTA or LoL/etc etc.
>>
>>338070548
If MS were to include PC-console cross-platform play I think that the player base for the MCC would increase and thus prolong the life of the MCC. I would love to play Halo 1, 2, and 3 again.
>>
>>338071327
What the fuck were you playing lol
>>
>>338091548
probably something thats not CSGO or dota
>>
>>338082959
That's 1 week. Not average. Year-to-date it's twice as much as vita
>>
But excluisves do matter, nobody wants to buy an unecessary console without excluisves, why was it such a big deal when PS3 lost Devil May Cry an FFXIII, they were system sellers, when all MS good excluisves like Mass Effect turned out to be timed excluisves and all MS has is Halo Gears and Forza people said fuck Xbox
>>
>>338086540
240p weebshit isn't very good. Also I don't like Monhun
>>
There are numerous sources from even before the Xbox One saying that MSoft has wanted to cut its gaming division for years. You dont seem to realize how costly RROD replacements were to them. The new CEO of Msoft, I forget her name, talks about cutting the gaming division at least once a year.
>>
>>338070548
tldr

but MS will never leave the console market, because leaving Sony with a monopoly would be retarded, since Nintendo cannot compete anymore as they do their own thing.

I think they will ease up, and do more games on PC and Xbox and curve their own niche that way. In fact MS could take advantage of encouraging more PC usage with Windows because many Playstation exclusives are only console exclusive, so a PC user using windows could play both Forza, and Street Fighter V.

One could argue why people would still buy consoles if the PC got all the exclusives, but it's simple because consoles are simpler and easier, and just typically work. So they would continue releasing consoles, but it's possible the console to evolve to being more of a PC console box.
>>
>>338071940
I work in Retail for Target and we get someone coming in at least once a month asking about the Always Online shit. We still get people asking about the differences between a WiiU and regular Wii occasionaly.

You are vastly overestimating the overwhelming majority. I would agree the price point was a bigger factor but the Always Online shit was the final nail and I still experience its effects years later.
>>
Established Points:
- Exclusives really don't matter that much, at least not in today's market.
- The PC playerbase and the console playerbase have little overlap. /v/ is not the norm.

I think MS will probably make the next Xbox a PC-lite that runs Windows, release all their games on both XB(4) and Windows, and allow platform cross-play.

If they very simply just focus on making a powerful console at a reasonable price, they'll be golden.

Maybe some stuff with Hololens, but don't fuck it up like Kinect, if that's possible.
>>
>>338095784
Nicely said
Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.